main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Family in Exile (AU, Padme, Obi-Wan, more) Chapter 8 up 10/7/2012 Author replies

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Alexis_Wingstar, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hope is something that they all will need. Wonderful chapter. I liked the analysis of the two codes. I always thought the second, older one, was more befitting of the Jedi.

2. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Well done. =D=

This tale is quite impressive. I like Qui-Gon's lesson. You're handling a great character perfectly. :)

The observatory setting worked wonders for the exchange between all involved. Keep at it, and thanks for the tag. :D

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome stuff, totally! =D= =D= @};-

Obi's declaration about Padme's loyalty and his keeping them from becoming a couple in fact [face_thinking]

Bravo on the discussion of the code and how it relates to instruction, flexibility with rules, and attachments. The emotions of caring and affection are not wrong; it's when you get attached to the wrong things or to an unhealthy extreme that needs to be guarded.

Like also Padme's statement of faith at the end, and that it infuses Yoda with hope as well. :D

Valairy Scot likes this.
  4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You CAN teach an old green troll new tricks! But seriously, I love how (through Qui-Gon's reciting the old code) Yoda learns from Obi-Wan first, then Padme.

5. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I hope Padme's insight is correct. Luke and Leia will be the key to this in the end, I am sure.

6. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Briannakin : I agree about the codes. It kind of reminds me about Star Trek where it was said Vulcan's have no emotion. They do, but they don't let those emotions cloud their judgement... nor do they show those emotions to anyone but close friends and family.

epithree : Thanks, and yeah, I always thought a backdrop of stars was a good setting for cosmic thinking ;)

Jade_eyes : I think you'll like this next chapter. [face_whistling]

LOL Valairy Scot ... yeah, I've discovered that the willingness to learn is more important than the age of the student.

Jedi_Liz : I'm pretty sure they will be, too.

Chapter 6
    Identity

Padme strolled further into the observation dome and stared up at the starry expanse. “It’s so beautiful. It reminds me of the night sky back home on Naboo, in the Lake Country.” She glanced down at Luke and said wistfully, “I hope someday you’ll be able to go there.” Obi-Wan went to her and put an arm around her shoulder, and she looked up at him with a grateful expression on her face.

Yoda watched them silently, noting how attentive the young Jedi Master was to the new mother’s needs. Is this compassion I see, or something more? He chuckled as he thought that this was a good time to put into practice the lesson in faith, and trust that Obi-Wan would do the right thing no matter what he felt about Padme. When the two of them looked over at him, he ambled over to where they stood. His staff struck the usual rhythm across the floor.

“Thought have you, what your new identities will be?”

“I was considering Ben Kenobi for myself. Kenobi is a common enough name that I see no reason to change it.” Obi-Wan glanced over at Padme questioningly.

“I... really haven’t thought about it. I’ve been rather preoccupied.” She smiled meaningfully at Luke before frowning in thought. Then another slight smile played upon her lips. “I’ll go by Angel.”

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow as Yoda scrutinized her in silence. The former then bowed to her as he spoke lightly, “Pleased to meet your acquaintance, Angel.”

She laughed as she curtsied. “The pleasure is mine, Ben Kenobi.”

“You should take on another maiden name as well. It would go on the counterfeit marriage certificate.”

“Yes, and altered your appearances should be.”

Obi-Wan rubbed his beard. “I could shave and lighten my hair a few shades.”

Padme lowered her eyes, and both Jedi could sense sadness coming over her once more. She sighed as she quietly said, “I’ll cut my hair short and dye it black.” Looking back up at the younger Jedi, she asked with concern, “Do you think that will be enough of a change?”

He gave her an encouraging smile and nodded. “I don’t think we should have to resort to surgically altering our features.” His eyes lowered slightly and he hesitated. His voice softened considerably as he added, “You may wish to either wear scarves or use makeup for the next couple weeks until the bruising on your neck goes away.”

Padme’s hand quickly went to her neck. “Yes, of course. We wouldn’t want anyone thinking you were the abusive husband.” Her voice broke at the same time tears came to her eyes. “I’m sorry,” she cried as she ran from the room.

Yoda watched Obi-Wan’s reaction. First there was astonishment as the woman’s retreating back disappeared behind the closing door, then the young Jedi’s shoulders slumped as he briefly closed his eyes. “I wish I knew how to help her, Master Yoda.”

“Do what you’ve already been doing,” Qui-Gon’s voice sounded from behind them. They looked around to see him staring at the door. “Just be there for her.”

Obi-Wan nodded.

“Waiting for, what are you? Go to her.” The elderly master poked him with his staff.

Needing no further prompting, the younger Jedi hurriedly left the room.

Yoda silently shook his head.

“Just what are we going to do with that boy?”

Looking up at Qui-Gon with his ears flattened back, Yoda replied, “Improved, your sense of humor has not.”

~~~

No sooner had the door to the observation dome closed behind him, had Obi-Wan spotted Padme a few yards down the hallway, leaning against the wall. As he approached her, he noticed she was discreetly nursing Luke.

“Sh, everything will be okay,” the Jedi heard her whisper to the infant, then she turned her head to look at him as he came to a stop by her side.

Tears still slowly rolled down her cheeks. He raised his hand to gently wipe the wetness away with the pad of his thumb. “I didn’t mean to cause you pain.”

The corners of her mouth trembled as they climbed up into a sad smile, and she shook her head slightly. “You were just stating what needed to be done. I just... every time I think about how he attacked me, I...”

Mindful of the baby, Obi-Wan put an arm around Padme’s shoulders and gently pulled her to him. Feeling no resistance from her, he reached up his other hand to pull her head to his shoulder and kissed the top of her forehead. He swallowed as he hoped that was not too forward of him. He closed his eyes and just held her as he felt her shoulders heaving with sobs that were muffled against his chest. At this moment, he felt hatred well up toward his former padawan for hurting this woman who had loved him with all her heart. He quickly released the malevolent emotions into the Force, and concentrated on projecting a healing calm towards her. He was grateful to sense her sorrow fading even as her weeping ebbed.

Allowing her to pull away, he looked into her eyes as he once more wiped her tears.

“Thank you,” she whispered as she reached up to take his hand.

He gently squeezed her hand as he spoke, “How soon do you think you’ll be ready to leave?”

“Will we be going in my ship?”

Nodding in confirmation, Obi-Wan answered, “We’ll have to sell it soon. It stands out too much if we are to pose as refugees.”

Her head dipped slightly in a show of affirmation. “I’m ready to go now, but where will we be heading? We can’t go directly to Tatooine.”

“Let’s discuss that when we have lifted off.”

“Okay.”

They were still holding hands as they began walking down the hallway.

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    They were still holding hands as they began walking down the hallway.

Aw! That last bit was really sweet.

I know it was a serious scene, but I laughed too hard when Yoda poked Obi-Wan with his staff.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Your comment/reply to Bri about Vulcans -- spot on and - part of the privilege and blessing of becoming part of that inner circle of trust [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] !!!! Ahem. [face_laugh] Obi-Wan's a sweetie. :) He gives Padme perfect empathy. The question though is well-asked: is it compassion or something else? [face_dancing]

9. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Beautiful chapter.

Obi-Wan is truly the man!

Keep it up. =D=

10. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I wonder where they will stop before Tatooine....good post!

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Briannakin : Hehe, I couldn't resist having Yoda do that. It was shades of Luke and the "Great Warrior's" first meeting.​
    Jade_eyes : [face_mischief]
    epithree : I agree. Obi-Wan = =P~[face_blush]
    Jedi_Liz : Well, they won't get to that first world in this post, but it will be mentioned.​
    Well, this chapter was really fun to write. I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I did composing it.​
    Chapter 7
    Transformation

“So, where are we headed first?” Padme was seated in the co-pilot’s chair of her Naboo skiff. She watched as Obi-Wan’s fingers swiftly input sets of coordinates into the navigation console.

“First off, we will be making a series of random jumps just in case someone tries to track us. In four days, we will arrive at Nar Kreeta.”

Padme frowned. “That’s in Hutt space.”

“Yes it is. There are a few useful people there who can help us... for the right price, of course.”

“I’m sure there are a few there that would sell us out for the right price as well,” she pointed out.

“True, but we don’t really have that many options. We need to acquire forged documents then get transportation to a world that has refugee camps. That means we need to go somewhere that is on a trade route and has a large underground criminal element. We can’t very well go to the lower levels of Coruscant.”

“Yes, but, Nar Kreeta?” She wrinkled her nose.

“Do you have any better ideas?”

She admitted with a sigh, “No.”

“Nar Kreeta it is then.” Obi-Wan said as he hit the final button that would propel them into hyperspace. Glancing over at his companion, he asked, “Have you decided on a maiden name yet?”

“Hm... I guess it depends on where we decide to say is our homeworld.” She looked at him questioningly.

“What is this? Do I have to come up with all the details?” He grinned.

Laughing, Padme reasoned, “Well, you’re the Jedi. I’m sure you’ve done more undercover work than I have.”

Obi-Wan stroked his beard as he leaned back in his chair. “I seem to recall you pulling the wool over our eyes when we first met, posing as a handmaiden.”

Chuckling at the memory, she shook her head. “Looking back, I don’t think Qui-Gon was fooled at all by my disguise.”

“He was always very observant.” He paused a moment in thought. “Let’s see, our homeworld should be one that had been ravaged by the war and where much of the populace had to be placed in refugee camps.”

“There are plenty of choices: Garqi, Malastare, Dantooine, Jabiim, Balamak, Stewjon...” Padme stopped when the Jedi shook his head. “What is it?”

“Not Stewjon. That’s where I was born. If we get found out somehow, I don’t wish to chance calling attention to my family.”

Placing a hand on his forearm, she said softly, “I’m sorry, I didn’t know. Do you know if your family is alright?”

Obi-Wan smiled as he placed his free hand on top of hers and gently squeezed. “The last I heard, they were fine.”

“You’ve been in contact with them? I didn’t know Jedi were allowed to do that after they were taken in.”

“I haven’t spoken to them directly for many years,” he said as he slowly withdrew his hand, “but there are... sources. So, of the other planets you mentioned, which one would you like to claim as our homeworld?”

Padme could tell he did not wish to speak about his family. Whether it was because it made him uncomfortable, or it reminded him of the loss of the Jedi which were, she supposed, an extended family to him, she respected Obi-Wan’s privacy. “Garqi seems to be a good choice. It’s easy to get to Tatooine from there, so it wouldn’t be too hard for a refugee family to make it there.”

“There is quite a difference in climate between the two planets that may deter a native of Garqi to go there, but I can see your point.”

“Do you think one of the other planets would be better?”

He shrugged. “Not really, the wish to go somewhere away from the violence and oppression will make one go where they wouldn’t dream of in times of tranquility. Garqi is fine.” He stroked his beard as he added thoughtfully in a different vein, “I do believe I need a shave.” He rose from his chair and turned towards the cockpit’s exit.

With Obi-Wan mentioning one of the measures they would use to disguise themselves, Padme was reminded of a concern she had. “If I cut my hair myself, I think I’ll draw more attention to myself... I mean, it’s bound to look shabby.”

“For one, refugees tend to become rather ragged because of their living conditions. Besides, if you wear a scarf, you can cover your hair as well as...” He hesitated because he did not wish to remind her of the bruises on her neck, so he came up with the first thing he could think of, “... What I mean to say is, the scarf will cover either your beautiful long locks or an equally lovely but poorly-styled cut.”

Padme chortled as she stood up, “Why Obi-Wan, you’re quite the flatterer.”

Chuckling, he replied, “That was rather awkward.”

“No, it was sweet.” She kissed him lightly on the cheek then walked out of the cockpit.

~~~

Obi-Wan inspected himself in the mirror as he rubbed his now smoothly-shaven jaw. He noted how cold his face felt now without the whiskers covering it. At least now I don’t have to worry about keeping the beard and mustache trimmed.

As he headed out of the refresher, he detected a sweet odor. Looking around, he saw Padme chopping up various pieces of fruit. “That looks good,” he said as he picked up a chunk of wasaka berry.

Without looking up, Padme smiled. “I was getting hungry so thought I’d make lunch for both of us. I’m almost finished cutting the fruit for a light salad, and I have sandwiches already made,” she said as she pointed the knife toward the other side of the counter. Then she glanced up at Obi-Wan. Blinking at first in apparent surprise, she then smiled. “You look almost like you did when we first met. All that’s missing is the braid.”

“Do you like it? I feel naked.”

She giggled as she turned to put the fruit in a bowl and mixed it up with her fingers. “You look fine.” Opening a cupboard, she got out two plates and handed one to her friend. She spooned some of the fruit on her dish and grabbed one of the sandwiches before turning to go sit down.

After helping himself to a generous portion of the mixed fruit and grabbing the other sandwich, Obi-Wan joined her. The two ate together in companionable silence. Onced they had finished eating, he noticed she was looking at his face rather intently. Though he was certain he had not nicked himself as he shaved, he self-consciously rubbed his jaw to make sure. “Is something wrong?”

“Oh, no, not really. It’s just that the skin where your beard was is noticeably paler than the rest of your face.”

“Well, that’s natural, of course.” He sighed with relief.

“Yeah, but it can look suspicious, and we don’t want to call attention to ourselves.” She looked pensive then grinned. “I have just the solution.” As she rose from the table, she took both of their plates and put it in the sink. “Come with me.”

He did as she said, but when realizing she was going into the refresher, raised an eyebrow as he paused.

Looking back at him from the refresher door, she beckoned him over. “Come on, this won’t hurt a bit.”

He walked towards her like a man going to death row.

“Trust me,” she said, her voice bubbling with laughter. She disappeared inside and he heard her opening a drawer and some shuffling and clinking sounds. Once he arrived at the door, he saw she had various bottles and compacts of makeup. “Sit,” she ordered as she pointed at the refresher seat.

He meekly obeyed.

She put her fingers under his chin to lift his head slightly and studied his face. “I think this one will do nicely,” she said as she picked up a bottle of liquid. “Now, be still.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Padme applied some of the makeup onto a cotton pad then started spreading it on Obi-Wan’s face. He was surprised when she put it all around his face and neck as well.

“I thought you were only going to apply makeup to the lower part of my face.”

“This is foundation. To get a smooth appearance, it should go all over. Now stop talking. Flapping your jaw isn’t helping.” She placed the pad on the counter then picked up a compact and what looked to the Jedi like a paint brush.

“You’re not going to make me look like a woman, are you?”

A stern look from his cosmetician made him clamp his mouth shut. As she leaned down to apply the second type of makeup, he could not help noticing more of the aspects of her ample curves than he was comfortable seeing. He quickly raised his eyes without moving his head and studied the expression on her face as she worked on his mug. He could not help but think she had chosen an appropriate name, for she was very beautiful like the inhabitants of Iego’s moons. He felt his heart racing, as he watched her, and her fingers gently pressing on his cheek as she blended different colors stimulated a pleasant sensation. Stop it, Kenobi, she’s off limits. He shifted his sight once more so that he was looking to the side and swallowed nervously.

“Now, part your lips,” she instructed.

“Why, your not going to put lipstick, on me... are you?” His tone was indignant.

She raised an eyebrow as she folded her arms as she stated flatly, “Do you trust me or not?”

“Yes, but...” He paused when she held up her forefinger. “Okay, is this good?” He held his mouth open slightly.

“Fantastic. Now tilt your head back a little.” When he complied, she started applying the dreaded lip color. When she was finished, she stepped back and handed him a thin, soft paper. “Now, kiss this tissue.”

“Why?”

“Just do it, Jedi.” She was tapping one foot as she folded her arms across her chest once more.

He silently complied.

“Now stand up and let me look at you.”

“Yes, ma’am.” He dared not question her. He tried to contain his curiosity as she inspected her handiwork.

Finally, she nodded. “Take a look.” She smiled as she pointed at the mirror and stepped back further.

Gazing at his image, he was amazed to see that there was no evidence that he had on any makeup at all. Even better was the fact that the tan line was gone. He leaned in to inspect his mug more carefully before turning to look at Padme. “That’s incredible.”

She had a smug look on her face. “I told you to trust me.”

He bowed low at the waist, “Please forgive me. From now on, I will never question you no matter how absurd your request.”

She started giggling until he said, “Now, it’s your turn.”

Now it Padme who was put on guard. “For what?”

“You were going to cut your hair,” he replied in with a reasonable tone. “It would be easier for me to do it for you.”

At her doubtful look, he smirked. “Trust me.”

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :) :) Fun update, and Obi's starting to notice Padme. I love their easy banter. :D

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    MAKEOVER! (sorry, I had to :p) Fun update. I know they were friends before, but they seem really comfortable around each-other.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I hope Obi-Wan doesn't cut hair with his lightsaber!

Prior chapter: aw, Obi-Wan is so the man. Just loved how self-kicking he was about Padme, then he was so sweet to her. In a way, I hope nothing romantic develops between them, because it's so nice to see such gentleness and caring between two people who are simply friends, born out of nothing more than compassion to others.

Obi-Wan in make-up! Love it, although I guess we, like him, don't get to see him so "decorated."

15. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Jade_eyes : Yeah, I think it would be hard not to notice someone that is so... in your face if you'll forgive the pun [face_tee_hee]
    Briannakin : LOL yeah, that's what I was thinking while writing the chapter.​
    Valairy Scot : Hehe, I had already written the quip by Obi-Wan about the lightsaber when I read your reply.​
    Jedi_Liz : Because you asked to be tagged​
    Chapter 8
    The End of an Era

As he rummaged through the drawers under the sink, Obi-Wan asked, “Are there a pair of scissors in here?”

“You don’t need scissors!”

“Well I suppose I can cut your hair with my lightsaber, but that would be like shooting a barve with a blaster cannon,” he replied as he continued his hunt for the instrument.

“You are not seriously thinking of cutting my hair.”

“Why not?”

“Well, you’re not a professional!” Padme stammered.

Straightening up, he looked at her squarely to inquire, “Are you a professional cosmetician?”

“Well, no, but...”

“Yet you did an excellent job on my face.”

“Yes, but...”

“I’m not a complete novice. I’ve had to cut Anakin’s hair many times while he was my Padawan because his hair grew so fast. I may not be of professional quality, but I’ve become more than adequate to the task.”

“I’m sorry, Obi-Wan, I didn’t mean to cast doubt on your abilities. It’s just that I’m very nervous about getting my hair lopped off.” She lowered her gaze to the floor, feeling embarrassed and ashamed. “I guess I’m just vain... not something I’m proud of.”

Placing a hand under her chin, he gently lifted it so their eyes met. “There is a saying,” he spoke softly, “that a woman’s hair is her glory. You have an inner beauty which transcends your appearance, Padme. You will be just as glorious if you were shaved bald.” Pausing only slightly, there was a certain gleam in the Jedi’s eyes when he added in a more normal tone, “Of course, if you have further doubts about my abilities, we could certainly make that happen.”

“Oh! You!” She lightly shoved him away and laughed, “You are such a scoundrel.”

Chuckling, Obi-Wan asked, “Now, where are the scissors... or shall I use my razor?”

She shook her finger at him with a smile, then shook her head as she opened the drawer he had not yet searched. Retrieving the cutting implement, she handed it to him. “There you go, sir.”

“Thank you, my lady.” He bowed to her as he winked. Placing the scissors on the counter, rubbed his chin in thought. “First thing we need to do is wash your hair, as it’s easier to cut and style when damp.”

“Well, the easiest thing would be for me to take a shower, which means you should go wait out there.” She pointed to the ship’s main room where they had eaten earlier.

“Yes, of course.”

As Obi-Wan stepped out of the refresher, she said, “I won’t be long.”

True to her word, she came out to the main room fifteen minutes later with a towel wrapped around her head. “Well, I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.” She gave a slight laugh when she heard how shaky her voice was. “I don’t know why I’m so nervous.” She held up a hand as she added, “Look, I’m shaking!”

Obi-Wan came to her as she spoke and took her hand. Leading her over to the chair he was sitting in a moment before, he assured her, “I promise not to lop off your ears along with your hair.”

“We’re not going to do it in the refresher,” she asked in surprise.

“I think it would be more comfortable for you in here, plus,” he turned the chair around as he spoke, “it’ll make it easier for me because this seat swivels.”

“Good idea.”

After Padme sat down, Obi-Wan removed the towel from her hair and placed it around her shoulders. Standing back, he studied her face and hair as he stroked his chin. “Hmm.”

“What is it?”

“Do you have a hair tie handy?”

“There are a couple on the vanity in the refresher. Why?”

“I was thinking it would be easier to put your hair in a loose tail and cut that off before cutting the rest and styling it. It will also make the clean up afterwards easier.” He quickly went into the other room and retrieved the ties along with his razor and a spray bottle filled with water.

Eyeing the razor, she asked, “Why did you bring that out?”

Following her gaze, Obi-Wan said in an overly nonchalant tone, “It’s plan B in case I mess up your hair.”

“Oh, no!” She quickly rose from the chair.

“I was joking! It’s just to shave the back of your neck when I put the finishing touches to your style.” Patting the chair, he added, “Sit, please.”

“That wasn’t funny. Please, stop joking around. I’m nervous enough.”

“Forgive me,” he said as she took her seat, “I was only trying to lighten the mood.” He began twisting her hair into the tie as he spoke, “Honestly, I’m surprised at your apprehension. I’ve seen you face off against a droid army, and fight off a nexu on Geonosis, and in those circumstances, I sensed less trepidation from you than now.”

He managed to snip off the ponytail without her feeling so much as a tug. When he placed it on the table, Padme closed her eyes, not wishing to look at it. “I’m at a loss to explain it myself, Obi-Wan. Please, can we talk about something else?”

“Okay. You know, it may be a good idea if we started addressing each other as Ben and Angel from now on. We need to get in the habit so we won’t slip in public.”

“You’re right, Ben.”

“Speaking of nomenclature, Angel, you still haven’t chosen a maiden name.”

“How about Yushen?”

“Angel Yushen,” he spoke the names in a contemplative measure as he continued to cut her hair. “It has a poetic ring to it.”

Smiling, she agreed.

Save for the Jedi occasionally requesting her to either raise, lower or tilt her head, they spent the next few minutes in a companionable silence. It did not take long before he had completed cutting her hair. He smiled as he looked down at her. “See, I managed not to maim you in any way.”

“You’re finished already?”

Nodding, Obi-Wan held his hand out in gentlemanly fashion to help her from her seat. “Go look in the mirror while I sweep the floor.”

Looking down, Padme gasped when she saw all the hair that had accumulated. She put a hand to her head as she asked, “Did you leave any on my head?”

He only chuckled as he retrieved the broom.

Her knees felt wobbly as she slowly walked to the refresher. As she went through the door, she closed her eyes before turning to the mirror. When her eyelids fluttered open, she gasped once more. “Oh... Ben!”

She stared at the image before her in disbelief as her friend came quickly to her side. Wispy bangs were suspended just above her eyebrows. To the front of each ear hung gossamer tufts of hair which curled delicately down to her jaw. The back of her hair was cropped short and it came to a triangular point at the middle of her neck.

“Angel, are you okay?” When she did not answer right away, he put a hand on her shoulder. “Padme?”

“I didn’t know you were an artist.”

“Does that mean you like it? Hate it? Not sure which end is up?”

At the last question, she laughed. “Ben, I love it.”

He expelled a sigh of relief. “Come,” he said, and led her out of the refresher. Going over to the table, he picked up the ponytail he had cut off at the very first. He bowed as he presented it to her. “A souvenir, my lady.”

The long curly hair lie across her fingers of both hands as she stared at it. She felt like she could hardly breath as her chest tightened. “I... I can’t take this!” She promptly dropped the tail and ran into her sleeping quarters.

~~~

Obi-Wan watched Padme’s form disappear behind the door. He bent over to pick up the wavy tresses she had discarded at his feet. “There’s something I’m missing here. All this grief can’t possibly be for just losing some hair.”

Careful not to loosen any hair from the tie, he smoothed the tangles out by running his fingers through the silky strands. He then went to where he had stowed his pack. Sitting on the floor with his legs folded in front of him, he placed the tail on his knee while he dug down to retrieve an oblong wooden box. Opening the box, he was about to put Padme’s hair in with the treasured contents the box contained -- the stone from Qui-Gon’s homeworld, and his Padawan braid. Taking out the latter, he closed his eyes as he remembered how his Master had loosened his braid and cut off a strand of hair and put it with his own braid he had saved. Qui-Gon had also taken a strand from his braid and laced it with Obi-Wan’s.

He had done the same thing with Anakin.

Pain made the Master’s chest tighten, as the line of thought took him to all the Jedi -- Padawans, Younglings, Knights and all -- who had been slaughtered. The Jedi Order was more than his family. The protectors of democracy, keepers of the peace, almost all were gone now. It was an end to an era.

Obi-Wan’s eyes snapped open in sudden realization. Looking over at the door to Padme’s room, he picked up her hair. “It’s the end of the Republic she is mourning.” Looking down at the braid and the ponytail, he thought about the emotions he had sensed come from Padme earlier -- guilt mixed with grief. He thought out loud, “What does she have to feel ashamed of?” It was Palpatine’s greed for power which brought all this destruction.

“Think back, my apprentice,” Qui-Gon appeared before him. “Who was instrumental in Senator Palpatine’s rise to Chancellor?”

“Well, Padme called for a vote of no confidence, but, that... she can’t really blame herself for everything that happened since then.”

“Emotions generally aren’t very reasonable.”

“True.” He put both the braid and the tail in the box. After returning the container to his pack, he stood and walked towards Padme’s door.

“Leave her alone for now, Obi-Wan. She’ll be fine. Besides, it’s time for another lesson.”

He shifted his gaze from the door to the Force ghost and back again. He took a deep breath then released it slowly before he sat back down facing Qui-Gon. “You know, Master, in a way, I feel like I never stopped being your Padawan.”

The otherworldly image smiled. “The difference is that you listen better now than when you wore the braid.”

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh Padmè. She has a lot of healing left to do, and it seems that Obi-wan has a lot of learning.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awww! @};- Definitely something to grieve over - feeling like one is moving into the totally unknown and wondering if you could have prevented what happened. She will be grateful for the emotional space; hopefully, though, when /if she needs to talk, she'll feel able to reach out. :)

18. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    poor Padme...but it was necessary

19. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Poor Padme and I love where you're going with this. I can't wait for more :)

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    This delightful tale deserves a bump. [face_batting] [:D] !!!

21. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Aww, love this line! I was able to check out the first chapter and it was really nice! Ah, poor Padme, why did they not let Obi in? Because he was a Jedi? That's what I'm thinking since Bail came it, but I'm not sure. I would be screaming if I thought I had to do that alone! Okay, so I had my hubby with me and I was still screaming :p It was a lovely start, I love Obi and I love Au [face_love]

Jade_eyes likes this.
  22. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    bump in hope of an update [face_batting]

23. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm sorry I haven't written anything for this since my last update. I do plan on coming back to it, but for some reason, my muse ran to "The Bond" and won't come back to this. So, once the other one is finished, I'll coax her back here. I thank you, Jade_eyes and JediFalcon, for giving this a couple bumps. [:D]

If you watch the movie, Obi-Wan was in the observation room with Bail and Yoda until the medical/midwife droid came in to tell them Padme was dieing for some inexplicable reason. So instead of having Obi-Wan go in to her, I had Bail. I suppose I could have had Obi-Wan go in, and ghostie Qui-Gon give his former padawan a nudge...

"Hey, are you daft? Put the baby in her arms, her mommy instincts will kick in and she'll forget about dieing of a broken heart." :p

24. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Precious reading time today - so, they are ready for their new life -- liked the 'makeover' moments! A nice touch was to mention 'she'd look good bald' since it reminded of Portman's shaved head role in her other movie.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  25. Anakins_Kiss

Anakins_Kiss Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 26, 2006
    excellent story so far...Though I am a huge Anakin and Padme fan, I am very intrigued by the interaction between Padme and Obi-Wan.