main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Father's Heart (J/J, Soontir Fel)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EmpressJainaSoloFel, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Brown-Eyed_Girl

Brown-Eyed_Girl Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2009
    Just wanted to say I was enjoying this fic. I do like anything J/J. More would be good.

2. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    I have to go to work, so I'll get PM's out later. Promise :)

Soontir watched with a mixture of awe and envy as his daughter-in-law executed an impossibly high and perfect backflip, twisting in midair and leveling a ?fatal? blow to Jysella Horn?s stomach on landing. Without hesitation, she sent Corran flying with a swift kick to the chest and spun to face Valin.

While Jysella elected to flop on the training mat and watch, Corran joined Soontir at the door of the temporary training room, still rubbing what would surely be a nasty bruise in a few hours. The two men watched in silence as Jaina switched from attack mode into teaching mode. Finally, as Valin moved cautiously through a new series of katas, Corran met Soontir?s eye.

?I?m glad to see Valin training with her. He was going to ask her to train him before the war broke out, but could never quite muster the courage. I always thought the Skywalkers made a mistake in not apprenticing Ben to her.? Corran?s look was almost wistful as he watched student and teacher test the waters with careful practice swings.

?Is it possible they doubted her ability to instruct him after the Killik crisis?? Soontir knew he was treading on dangerous ground, and that the incident was one the Jedi preferred to forget. While the Order had never admitted it publicly, he thought that a good portion of the problem was the failure of the Order to handle the fallout of Myrkyr. That failure had cost not only his family dearly, but the entire galaxy.

?The Killik mess was a direct result of those poor kids going back to battle right after Myrkyr. There?s a reason Wedge and Tycho watched her carefully at Borleias. They had some real doubts about her, well, fitness for battle. Even now, no one knows the details of that mission. Not one of them will discuss it, and the mission report, written by Jaina herself, is decidedly vague. Jaina?s reports are usually highly detailed. With the fall of Coruscant and everything else, no one debriefed them. They seemed to go back to the battle without adverse affects, so the subject got dropped.? Corran took a deep breath and blew it out before continuing. ?What we didn?t know was how badly the mind meld affected them. They couldn?t tell the difference between the aftereffects of the meld and the beginning of Killik joining until it was too late. Jaina rebounded well from the Killik incident, especially after spending some time on Naboo. She was probably one of the most balanced Jedi in the Order. She knew when to fight, when to negotiate, and how to fight effectively without resorting to Sith practices. She?s never let personal feelings interfere with being objective, and that?s something I wanted Valin to learn.? Despite the serious subject, Corran couldn?t control the grin on his face as Jaina surprised Valin with a lightning fast barrage that left him thoroughly on the defensive.

?I?m worried about this recent chain of events. It?s too much, too fast. She kills her brother, gets made a duchess, becomes a wife, then an empress? I?m worried about her.? Soontir hesitated, unused to revealing so much to a stranger, and troubled over Corran?s use of the past tense when referring to Jaina as a Jedi. Nodding as Valin regained his balance and launched his own offensive, Corran broke in.

?She?s learned a lot lately. She settled something in her mind before Shedu Maad. It hasn?t been easy for her the last six weeks, but she?s finding her stride. And Jag?s never left her side. They?re a good match for each other. If you?ll excuse me, I need to talk to Valin.? Before Soontir could reply, Corran was moving across the training mat to intercept Valin and Jysella on their way out the door, leaving him and Jaina.

After Valin and Corran left, Jaina, now alone, threw herself into a series of lightning fast katas, far more advanced than she had shown Valin. Her lightsaber was little more than a violet blur as she spun, kicked, leapt, and flipped her way through the kata. As steps sounded on the walk behind him, Soontir turned

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wootness!!!!!! Soontir's advice to Jaina is priceless and true across all times and fandoms--you have to define yourself not let others or your titles or duties do it for you... and the love of your life should never ever be left out of the equation--she or he should always be the stabilizing and rejuvenating part of your life ... otherwise all the other stuff you have to do won't mean diddly and won't keep your body or soul warm at night. ;)

Sorry for the rant.

This kinda thing is central to another fandom that I adore IMHO so I have strong opinions about it.

:D

And J&J in couple mode is just too edible

[face_laugh]

:)

4. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    First of all... YAY!! IT'S BACK!! [face_dancing]

Poor Jysella and Valin. In the end, they'll both be great Force users but they're going to suffer a LOT of bruises in the meantime. ;)

I had to LOL when Shawnkyr's "intelligence" turned out to be exactly what the Jedi Council wanted people to think. That was a great moment, especially to imagine the Chiss woman's face (and Soontir's).

Note to Soontir: I don't know for certain why you can't seem to 'talk' to Syal or why you always end up on the sofa. [face_laugh] However, it could be that you're just too close to her. You haven't spent much time with Jaina yet so that emotional distance makes her easier to talk with--although I can foresee a day when your words will not be accepted as easily as they were on that rock with your brand-new daughter-in-law... IMHO, of course.

Terrific post, EJSF. I could really sense Soontir's awkwardness. He's feeling out of his element and that's pretty uncomfortable for a man like him. Loved the plot twist regarding the splitting of the Jedi Order. Very interesting indeed.

And it goes without saying that Jaina's skills made quite an impression on everyone. That suggests many possibilities about whatever is going to happen next.

Hope DRL will allow you to continue this story with less difficulty now!! [:D]

5. TheSwordJainaSoloFel

TheSwordJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 3, 2008
    I'm so glad you found some time to escape DRL, I've missed this story.:D

?Or perhaps with Daala cracking down on the Jedi, they needed to get Force-users out of the GA somehow.?
    I love this idea. It makes perfect sense for the jedi to do and gives them plenty of options.

Maybe Jaina can put in a good word for Soontir to Syal so he's not spending as many nights on the couch. :p
    I like Soontir's advice- Jaina can now start defining who she is instead of it being defined for her. This could be the most enoyable time in Jaina's life; she's able to decide the whens, hows, and the whats.... and she's married to Jag, so....life can't get much better.[face_laugh] [face_love]

Great update[face_dancing]. Best of luck with DRL!

6. LittleBlueTwilek

LittleBlueTwilek Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2003
    Do you have higher math on the brain? [face_thinking]

I like that you've really woven Jaina's history into this scene. There is a lot of depth for fans who've followed her story from the NJO, but at the still time a newer reader wouldn't be lost.

Glad you're back at this.

7. Brown-Eyed_Girl

Brown-Eyed_Girl Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2009
    Great to see this continuing.

LittleBlueTwilek got there first about the maths. As a maths teacher I saw that line and smiled.

8. roguefel

roguefel Jedi Master

May 16, 2008
    wow, that was a great story so far! Cant wait to see the Moffs reaction, not happy about how Luke didnt support Jaina and Jags marriage though. But can see why he didnt!!

Loved how Soontir helped Jaina sort out her problems but then wished he was able to do the same with Syal!!!

If you have a PM list could you add me to it??

Kat
    x

9. EmperorFel

EmperorFel Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2009
    Great post. I am loving this story. And clearly Luke is being a shrewd schemer by not "supporting" the marriage. I loved that.

10. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Interesting comment, roguefel. I think our esteemed author is tricksey, so I'm wondering whether Luke's apparent lack of support is yet another deception for the GA's benefit, just like the way some Jedi have been "separated" from the Skywalker Order. o_O

11. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Split in the Jedi Order. WooT!!! Interesting twist in the whole scope of things.

I do have to agree with several other reviewers, that Luke sure is being shrewd about everything, and with the loss of several other Jedi from the order things can only get worse, and i am going to assume that many more will join in with them, fleeing to the empire, away from the degrading Jedi Order. WOuld be nice to see the reactions of Daala and the Jedi as a whole.

Would like more please!!!

12. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Very interesting story. Amelia's remark about carbonite- priceless.

13. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    First - YAY!! Psyched about an update. I've missed this story so much.

Wonderful and heartfelt advice that Soontir gave to Jaina. She is the only one in control of her destiny and can create it as she chooses! [face_love] And having Jag be there at the end - very touching moment between father & son.

And the fact that Baron General Soontir Fel knew that Nubian satin wrinkled easily [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

What a shrewd, shrewd man that Luke is !! Now when the shavit hits the fan (as it inevitably will), the jedi will be there to help and not under Daala's thumb. Boy, can't wait for her reaction when she finds out what Luke & the jedi are actually up to. :D And people think that he is just a farmboy from Tatooine.;)

Can't wait for more !!!!

14. JFEL13

JFEL13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2009
    Wow! Great post! So many sweet details, like about Shawnkyr and her father. Soontir was so endearing, that I could feel his pain in trying to reach out to Jaina. And Jaina, always on the job, so true. I love how Soontir points out that she used to answer to people and that now she can shape herself and the Imperial Knights as she sees fit. That was awesome and an empowering message to all people. It reminded me of becoming a mom. I was so used to being someone's child or employee or student, that when I realized I was in charge of my home, my child, my own life, I suddenly started to blossom as a person. Sorry to go off on a personal note, but Soontir's advice and impressions were just so relatable(sp?)! Again, lovely post.

15. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    I just read all of this, never seen it before until now :)

Great story you have here. I've always wondered why Soontir is portrayed as the villain in many fanfics. I love how you characterize him! Also, the idea of the split between the Order was a great idea, as disheartening as it is. It's quite sad it's come to this. I don't think Luke is being shrewd, I don't believe he is that type of person, and that he's doing it to protect the plan of the split.

Love the ceremony here, and Amelia! She had me laughing so much!

PM when you update! Please! =D=

16. Kailene

Feb 17, 2009
    [face_love] Giving a little Bump !!! :D

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes, I second that. I've been craving Jagster for quite a while now -- especially ahem ... in the pool with Jaina -- =P~

Yum!
    I wouldn't mind if the whole beyond boards was saturated with J&J mush. [face_dancing]

18. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    Holy cow, I'm a slacker writer! I spaced on replies yet again :( This story will be updating fairly infrequently due to some DRL issues. My job is crazy, and I'm currently preparing for a cross-country move. I am working on the next chapter, but it's slow going.

Jade_Eyes: Lots more J/J in couple mode coming up :-D Soontir's lesson to Jaina is one that I'm trying to teach my kids about atm. Someone had the nerve to tell one of my kids that he couldn't get involved in cheerleading because he's a boy, and only girls cheer. Someone needs to get their facts straight, and be darn grateful that I don't have a lightsaber, or they'd be in trouble. If he wants to cheer, I'm all for it, male cheerleaders do well in the scholarship dept, lol. But there really does come a point where societal roles don't fit a person, and then they need to define themselves if they haven't already done so. And I second J/J filling the "Beyond" boards!

OJN: Soontir always seems so confident that it's a lot of fun to let him be human again. DRL is getting the chair and whip, but it's darn persistent. I think after the move things will slow down. Part of the hassle is that I know it will be July at the latest, but circumstances out of my control might make it earlier, so I don't want to get too involved in something I'm just going to have to drop. But life after the move should be a lot less stressful, I'm hoping ;)

TheSwordJainaSoloFel: Jaina and Syal have yet to really get to know each other, but I think it's safe to say Soontir will be spending less nights on the couch. Jaina's never really had the chance to define herself, which is something that profic is just now starting to let her do, and I love it!

TKL: Lol, this was in fact typed after talking math with my husband. Her story is a lot of fun to play with, and I've really enjoyed the leeway that profic has provided with all the gaps in her story. Thanks!

Brown-Eyed_Girl: Lol, my geometry teacher in high school would laugh her head off. My loathing for that subject was well-known. Although it's thanks to her I can still remember the quadratic. She'd teach it to the tune of "Pop Goes the Weasel" and now it's impossible to forget, even though I haven't taken a math class in almost 6 years.

roguefel: You're on! I think a lot of his problem is that he's too close to the situation with Syal, with Jaina he's really not that close. Yet. With a lot of Syal's problems, he's still trying to work through his own feelings on the same problem.

EmperorFel: I don't think Luke gets enough chances to be shrewd in profic, lol. I always wanted him to be a little less naive.

OJN: The first thought in my mind was "Tricksey hobbits". How pathetic is that? I'm sitting here thinking of Gollum, lol.

Phoenix5: Daala isn't done being a pain, and things will get worse. I'm glad you're enjoying the story!

FelsGoddess: Amelia is so much fun as a character. She can be incredibly wise at some moments, very spunky at others, and then a normal little girl who loves puppies and rainbows. The combination of wisdom, spunk, and innocence is a lot of fun to work with.

Kailene: Thanks for the bump! I'm so sick of the farmboy approach to Luke's character in profic, and it's a lot of fun exploring the Jedi Master side. He would be smart enough to learn from mistakes the old order made (at least, I'd hope) and spread out to avoid another purge.

JFEL13: Shawnkyr has very little backstory, so it's a lot of fun to play with it. She has never gotten the "flight of fancy" in profic, and I think she deserves a bit of that. Thanks, I know what you mean about Soontir's advice. It really is something that is a major shock when you realize that you're in charge.

tahiriveilax: Thanks! I'm having so much fun with Soontir, he really makes for a great good guy. Luke is interesting to work with, but I'm really having a bit of fun trying to get some shrewdness added to his character. Amelia is a hoot to write, and she even gets to have a lot of fun in profic, which is awesome.

Thank you everyone for r

19. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for being so patient with me! DRL has taken another turn, and I will be moving across the country this summer. It's a good thing, trust me! Sad news is that it will leave this story being updated irregularly, although that really isn't a change :-(

Current PM List:
    roguefel
    tahiriveilax
    Kailene
    TheSwordJainaSoloFel
    jedikatie26
    Aurelius11
    _sticks
    jaina-Fett
    Rogue11JSF
    JordanCHFel
    Jainasolo101
    EGKenobi

Please note that I will not send you a new PM until you have read the last one I sent you. Thanks!

Soontir couldn?t help but smile as he entered his quarters after dinner that night to see Syal sitting at her vanity brushing her hair. His wife was still lovely, even after all these years. While their path together had not been an easy one, the strength of their marriage had never wavered. Some of those trials had forged their bond into something stronger than Soontir had ever dreamed, and he could only imagine the strength of the bond between Jag and Jaina.

?Tir, what do you think of Jaina?? Syal?s brush paused mid-stroke before she laid it down on the table in front of her.

He sat on the bed, pulling off his worn boots as he contemplated the answer. His thoughts and feelings had been pushed to the back of his mind since his talk with Jaina in the observation room. The truth was, he didn?t know what to think. Jaina was a perfect Imperial noblewoman, yet a fearless fighter. She was part confident Jedi, part scared little girl. Jag had refused to speak of her in anything other than a military sense after his return from Known Space, so all of Soontir?s information, until recently, consisted of holonews reports and intelligence briefings. And then he met her. All his understanding of Jaina, her life, her personality, had imploded. She was a woman of striking contrasts. Where did he begin?

Syal was well accustomed to her husband gathering his thoughts before speaking, and began braiding her hair for the night while waiting for his reply. She had always been the one person that he could talk to without fear of judgment. She wouldn?t think less of him for having a moment of weakness. ?I don?t know what to think. I know she loves Jag, and that Jag loves her, but there?s more to it than that. She?s just been forced into something I know she?s not ready for. Knowing it had to be done doesn?t make it any easier to watch her throw herself on a thermal detonator.?

Like she always did after he?d had a difficult day, Syal moved to sit by him on the bed and massage his shoulders. He relaxed into her touch, knowing she wouldn?t have brought the question up unless she needed to talk about it herself. ?I guess that?s something I admired about her last night.? Syal?s reply was so soft he barely heard it. ?She was willing to marry Jag to save his life. I know Cem says it was saving her own life too, but I don?t think she was thinking of that at all. I don?t doubt that they love each other enough to marry, but she still has to be reeling from killing her brother. I know how horrible it was to think I?d lost Wedge. I couldn?t bear thinking I?d killed him.. She?s barely recovered physically and she?s off saving the galaxy again.?

Soontir turned, allowing Syal to lean into his chest as he held her tightly. Syal had taken to Jaina instantly, and cared about her pain as much as Wynn?s. Jaina was no replacement for Cherith, but she was already filling an emptiness that had lurked in the Fel household for far too long. ?Jaina?s well on her way to working through all of that. She and I had a talk today about that, in fact.? As Syal?s hopeful eyes met his, he realized he wasn?t going to get out of telling the story. But it was worth a try. ?She?s an amazing woman, Jag has good taste. Seems to be a trait of Fel men.? As the pillow hit his head, he knew that Syal would torture the story out of him. Laughing, he pulled her into his arms. He had a few choice forms of torture himself.

?I think you should inv

20. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Lovely update. Talk about a whole mess of stuff going on. Could I be on the PM list, please?

=D=

21. TheSwordJainaSoloFel

TheSwordJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 3, 2008
    Best of luck with the cross country move and DRL.:)

It's been awhile since I've been on the boards due to DRL as well; I had forgotten just how much I enjoy your take on Soontir and his perspective. :) Very believable torn emotions going on. I love Soontir's pep talks, they always hit the mark.

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hello! I'm so glad to see this updated! :D I love Soontir and Syal together -- mature married couples who are affectionate and like to tease each other and also feel like they're each other's best friends -- ah! A true treasure! I love how Jaina's fitting into the Fel family so snugly -- :) and how they're trying to consider her feelings as well as the political ramifications -- too many times the attitude seems to be -- in RL and in profic :p to Hades with your feelings, it's the politics before everything :p

23. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    [face_dancing]:D[:D]

You're BACK!! I've been watching for an update on this story!

Beautiful Syal/Soontir scene. That felt so real, just the way a long-married and happy couple might discuss their children. I enjoyed that very much.

And the Ascendancy card was well-played. To invite or not invite, indeed. Poor Jaina (but what a great mother-in-law Syal is)! Poor Jag (but how solidly straightforward his father is)!

Another excellent chapter! [:D]

Best of luck with the big move. We totally understand not hearing from you regularly, but I, for one, hope you stop in as often as you can! :)

oldj

24. SHADOW_MASTER_W

SHADOW_MASTER_W Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2005
    I'm new to this fic but I must say I am VERY impressed with the way it is written. =D=

You capture human emotion in rare vivid clarity that few ever touch upon.

I will most definitly add this to my list of favorites.

Likewise, I would appreciate you adding me to you PM list if you would. [face_praying]

25. Kailene

Feb 17, 2009
    [face_dancing] I was so happy to see an update !!

Syal & Soontir, so well done, they were so sweet together. What a wonderful mother-in-law that Syal is. Jaina very much needs someone like her around, helping her through these rough times.

Ahh, and the Ascendancy. That's a very complicated mess, on top of the already complicated mess that they have. It should be very interesting.

Good luck with the cross country move.