main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Life Altered (J/J, Thrawn, Soontir, SkySolos)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EmpressJainaSoloFel, Sep 7, 2012.

1. IceFire27

IceFire27 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2007
    I can't believe that I missed the update! What was I doing? :confused: Loved it! =D= Really enjoying the interaction between J/J, and the start of Jania's reunion with her family. Hope you update again soon! [face_praying]

EmpressJainaSoloFel likes this.
  2. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    My laptop died, taking the next several chapters of this fic with it. Please be patient while I work with tech-savvy folks to get the goods off my hard drive.

Chapter 5

“Do you think she’ll return?” Soontir’s doubts over sending Jaina to the Known Regions were no secret to the Grand Admiral quietly reviewing the file on Garqi.

Thrawn took a moment before answering. “She is not one to leave her destiny behind. When the Empire of the Hand is needed, I don’t doubt she’ll return.” Soontir was quick to catch the nearly paternal note in Thrawn’s musings. Thrawn had dedicated the last 16 years of his life to raising Jaina, and she had truly blossomed. For all her refusal to be tamed, she was a brilliant student. For all her impatience, she was remarkably detail oriented and precise.

He only hoped Han would forgive them. Why Han’s forgiveness mattered to him wasn’t something he truly understood. Soontir knew that it should have been Han, not him, who guided Jaina through her first words and steps. It should have been Han who guided her small hands to the controls of her first fighter. He had stolen a lifetime’s worth of memories from his old classmate, and he had no clue how he’d ever look Han in the face again. A situation he knew he may not be able to avoid. He’d seen the look on Jagged’s face when Jaina appeared in uniform the morning they left, and the look Jaina had given him in return. If those two kept it up, he’d not only have to face Han, he’d be related to him.

And what would his wife think of him? Syal’s opinion was the most important to him. How would she react to finding out he was the one responsible for Jaina’s kidnapping? It was the secret he most regretted keeping from her.

Only time would tell if the abduction of Jaina Solo had been the right decision.

Han Solo tried to force himself to breathe. The Chimaera hung dead ahead, and his daughter was on that ship. The handful of days since he had received Pellaeon’s call passed in a blur. He’d pinched himself nearly constantly while talking with her. Exhaling, he forced himself not to dwell on the fact that she’d spent sixteen years being raised by Thrawn. She was still his daughter, no matter who had raised her.

Pellaeon had been kind enough to warn him that she had arrived with a Chiss fighter squadron, and was flying under the command a Colonel Jagged Fel. With his luck, this was probably some relative of Soontir’s. The thought of Soontir teaching Jaina to fly made his hands twitch with a nearly uncontrollable urge to break something. He’d been robbed of sixteen years with Jaina, sixteen years he’d never get back. Her first right hook, teaching her how to fire a blaster… He’d never get those years back. The pain and anguish would not be forgotten. They’d torn the galaxy apart looking for her. Han didn’t remember taking the Falcon into the hangar bay and landing. He didn’t recall unbuckling his crash harness or opening the ramp.

He would, however, always remember seeing Jaina fly across the hangar, brown ponytail whipping behind her, and launching into his arms. At some point, Leia had joined them, and he never wanted the moment to end. As Jaina pulled back, he took a moment to really look at her. The brown eyes held a rebellious streak, and she still had the cocky grin that was the Solo birthright. She was small, just barely taller than her mother, but she carried herself with the same grace and confidence that defined Leia.

After a few minutes, Jaina waved a dark-haired man forward. He wore the same uniform as Jaina, and came forward with a step that spoke of military discipline and training. After taking a moment to study the man’s face, Han realized this must be Jagged Fel, Jaina’s commanding officer. The resemblance to Soontir was almost uncanny. As Jagged’s eyes met Jaina’s, he realized he didn’t get his little girl back for five minutes before having some cocky flyboy to chase away.

A talk with Fel was definitely in order. No way was any son of Soontir’s touching his daughter. The intensity in the colonel’s eyes when he looked at Jaina meant trouble. The smile she shot back meant even deeper trouble. Perhaps Colonel Perfect needed a black eye to match that perfectly pressed uniform. Whatever relationship the two had, it was definitely much more than commanding officer/subordinate.

“Mom, Dad, this is Colonel Jagged Fel, my commanding officer.” Han was mildly surprised that Jagged threw him a sharp salute before turning to Leia and offering a rather formal bow. First point to Colonel Perfect. That was fine; Han could make him sweat anyway.

“So, Colonel, how long have you known my daughter?” Jaina’s scowl indicated she knew exactly where he was going. Han didn’t care. He’d just gotten Jaina back, and he was not about to share.

“I have known Major Solo for six years, General.” That the colonel was able to meet his gaze without flinching was impressive. The look he was giving the younger man was enough to intimidate almost anyone.

“And you’ve been her commanding officer for how long?” Jaina’s glare was every bit as impressive as her mother’s, no doubts there.

“She joined my squadron approximately a week ago.”

Jaina quickly stepped between Han and Jag, cutting off further questioning. “Dad, Jagged is a good friend and my commanding officer. He is the one who fought to get me out here. He’s the reason we were able to have this reunion today. I’m not asking you to like him, but I am asking you to respect him.” The fire in her brandy eyes and stubborn set to her jaw let Han know he’d lost this one. But somehow, the loss didn’t seem so bad. If this kid was the reason Jaina was here, maybe he could forgive him. Jagged Fel went up against Thrawn for Jaina, and that was no easy task.

“How did Thrawn take that?”

“I spent a solid hour answering for my intentions concerning Major Solo, and being advised of the consequences of crossing any lines.” Jagged’s face was perfectly neutral, but his eyes told Han just how trying that conversation had really been. Han didn’t doubt that facing Thrawn was no easy task.

“And what are your intentions, Colonel?”

“Perfectly honorable, I assure you, General.” Han didn’t know why he found himself trusting this young man. He’d learned long ago to trust his gut, and something told him Jagged Fel truly had Jaina’s best interests at heart, and was willing to walk through hell for her.

“So, Thrawn asked you about your intentions and you never felt the need to tell me before telling him?” Jaina’s fury was unmistakable, and yet there was something about it that thrilled him to his core. He knew he couldn’t wipe the grin off his face as she stood there fuming, even though it only enraged her further. Yes, he liked fighting with Jaina. But he knew that if he didn’t answer her, things would only get worse.

“Jaina, I hardly anticipated that being the conversation topic. I care for you, deeply. I knew how badly you have wanted to see your family, and I was not going to let that chance go by. I do not in any way regret fighting for your happiness, and I would do so again without a second thought.”

“And what did you tell him your intentions were?” Her fury may have dulled, but the fire in her eyes burned as bright as ever.

“I told him that I had every intention of ensuring your safety, and would protect you with my life. He asked if I intended to ask for your hand, and I explained that neither of us are ready to consider such a step. It’s not a decision that either of our parents, or Thrawn, has any say in. One day, we may want to discuss marriage, or we may decide to stay simply as friends. Either way, it is our decision, and we’ll make it together when the time comes.”

“Jag, I… You really told him it was our decision?” Her raised eyebrow nearly made his heart skip a beat.

“I did.”

Slowly, Jaina settled herself on the bunk next to him, tucked against his left side. “When I marry, Jag, I want it to be for love. I want what my parents have, what your parents have. I refuse to settle for a marriage based on power, which seems to be all the Chiss understand.”

He placed a gentle kiss on her hair and simply hugged her tighter. On impulse, he shifted his hand to tickle her ribs, and was rewarded when she squealed and attempted to wiggle away, covering her retreat with a pillow.

Belle1214 likes this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Oh yeah! Jaina/Jag mush! Love it. Very nice update!

4. Belle1214

Belle1214 Jedi Padawan

Sep 11, 2012
    Eeeeeppppp... XD I do love me some Jagged Fel XD

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Squggles! Squggles! I love J/J mush as well and I love how he said for anyone who wanted to hear and even those who think it's their business that it's their decision, his and hers, and that Jaina wants to marry for love.

Yes! Yes! Yes! It is their decision and anyone who doesn't think so or doesn't like it can screw themselves -- erm, LOL I'm very touchy about this particular subject right about now. :p NO kidding! @};- Eagerly awaiting more =D= [:D] !!!!!!

6. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    “She is not one to leave her destiny behind.

No, no she’s not. But still…. [face_plain]

He only hoped Han would forgive them.

Because they’re both crazy Corellians :p

was still his daughter, no matter who had raised her.

Awwwww :)

As Jagged’s eyes met Jaina’s, he realized he didn’t get his little girl back for five minutes before having some cocky flyboy to chase away.

[face_laugh]

He knew he couldn’t wipe the grin off his face as she stood there fuming, even though it only enraged her further. Yes, he liked fighting with Jaina. But he knew that if he didn’t answer her, things would only get worse.

Yikes. *headdesk*

It’s not a decision that either of our parents, or Thrawn, has any say in.

True, but it’s quite sudden. I’m glad he’s not really asking her now and that she understands.

He placed a gentle kiss on her hair and simply hugged her tighter. On impulse, he shifted his hand to tickle her ribs, and was rewarded when she squealed and attempted to wiggle away, covering her retreat with a pillow.

Yup, that’ll get her to love him ;)

7. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    Christmas update for you :D

Chapter 6

As much as he missed his clawcraft, Jagged was grateful that the helmets worn by the Rebels allowed him to wipe the sweat out of his eyes. After Ithor, Thrawn had recalled the Chiss squadrons, and it was no surprise when Jaina refused to return. Unwilling to leave without her, he soon found himself flying as Rogue 10 while she remained on his wing as Rogue 11. The Rogues were the complete opposite of all things Chiss, and the adjustment had been a difficult one. They had made an art of practical jokes, sabacc, and drinking.

In all fairness, Colonel Darklighter had warned him. Han Solo had warned him. Tycho had warned him. Sithspawn, even his father had warned him. His uncle simply laughed and told him to be grateful it wasn’t Wraith Squadron. It wasn’t what Jagged was used to, but over time he learned to be grateful for it. Battle after battle, sim after
    sim, briefing after briefing, they were all taking their toll. Sabacc and practical jokes were the only relief from the constant stream of losses in battle. The squadron had learned early on not to mess with Jaina. When it came to pranks, she was in a league of her own. Knowing that Jagged could never tell her no, she had brought him in as
    her accomplice on more than one occasion. Helping Jaina with pranks was illuminating. He now had a more than ample variety of tricks to use should Wyn annoy him.

The memory was fond enough that he smiled briefly before drilling the skip in front of him with a full-power quad burst. Jaina swiftly followed with a quad burst of her own, and the skip disintegrated. As Hosk wobbled in its orbit over Kalarba, he knew they were running out of time. This battle, like so many others over the last year and a half, was going to end badly. He spiraled up and starboard, grimly acknowledging that Jaina had gone port and recognizing her plan. For once, he was grateful for the X-wing’s profile as he stood his fighter on its port S foil, arcing to make a head-to-head run at Jaina as she leveled out, blasting the skip on his tail. His joy at the skip’s destruction was quickly tempered by the realization that the Champion was coming apart, and Jaina’s maneuver had put her entirely too close to the doomed ship. He watched with horror as the ship exploded, time seeming to slow as the explosion reached Jaina’s X-wing. Jag was sure his heart stopped as Jaina’s X-wing was consumed by the blast.

It was late when he finally left the medward, noting that there would be much to do before Jaina was discharged to her family on medical leave. Knowing that he couldn’t do anything for her while she rested didn’t ease the dread he felt at leaving her side. What he was going to propose was sure to anger her father, but he could see no other way. The New Republic was struggling, and medical care with it. As he waited for the comm station to connect to General Solo, he forced himself to remain calm.

“How’s Jaina?” Worry was written in every line on Han’s face.

“Jaina’s injuries are severe, and while they’ll heal, she requires more than the medics here are able to provide.” As he finished speaking, he braced himself for the inevitable explosion.

“What are you proposing, Fel?”

“I’m proposing taking a leave of absence in order to go to the Unknown Regions so that she can be treated in a location where resources are less strained.”

“You do realize what you’re asking?” The levelness in his voice was more unsettling than rage.

“Han, I give you my word that she will not be forced to stay in Chiss space. I understand that I am asking for trust I haven’t earned, but I would not be asking unless I truly felt this is the best way to ensure she receives proper medical care. The medics, by their own admission, don’t have the resources to treat her blindness, and are only hoping that time will correct it. The neurological damage is severe as well, and would heal much faster with proper treatment. Right now, they can only put her on leave and wait for her to heal. The Chiss can ensure that she receives the best possible care.”

Rather than the outburst he’d expected, Han’s face turned thoughtful as he considered the idea. “Kid, I’m willing to go for it. On one condition: I transport you and Jaina out there, and get to stay with her during the course of treatment. You may be a man of your word, but I can’t say I trust Thrawn.”

Jagged smiled. “Sir, believe me when I tell you that Jaina has always stood up for what she wants. She is stubborn enough to get her way, even against Thrawn. I will make the arrangements through my father, however. He is more likely to understand your desire to stay with her. I will be in contact shortly.”

As the comm connection ended, he breathed a sigh of relief and fought the urge to slump. He still needed to talk to his father.

“Father, she needs the facilities at Nirauan if we hope for her to recover, and her parents are more than justified in hesitating to allow her back into Hand space.” This was an argument he knew he had to win. Jaina’s health depended on it.

“You are perfectly aware of the security precautions in place, Jagged. You bring Han Solo here, and you will have compromised everything.”

If Jagged had learned anything from Jaina, it was to hold his ground and refuse to give in. “She is ready, Father. I am well aware of what Thrawn has planned for her, and there is no further need to keep the existence of the Hand classified. The Republic is crumbling, and the galaxy can’t hold off the Vong without help. It is time.”

“That is a determination for the Grand Admiral to make. I’m sorry, I can’t make any promises.” The weariness on his father’s features was plain. His absence was taking a toll.

“Jaina has been separate from her family long enough. I am not separating her from her father during her recovery. We depart the medical frigate tomorrow morning. I have made arrangements with Colonel Darklighter for a leave.” The first rule of arguing Jaina-style: accept no alternative and make it clear that the only way the argument would end was surrender.

“Jagged, I can tell that you are speaking from sentiment as opposed to thinking about this from a strategic point of view. You must not allow your feelings for Major Solo to dictate your decisions.”

“I will do what is right, regardless of the opinions of anyone else. You can’t tell me you didn’t abandon military objectives to see to Mother’s safety.”

“We were married at the… Jagged, please tell me you have not reached an understanding with Major Solo.” The exasperation in his father’s voice was plain, and spoke volumes.

“Does it matter? My decision has been made and is not up for negotiation.” Until he left for the Known Regions, his biggest fear had been disappointing his father. Now, his biggest fear was losing Jaina. Any and all other considerations took second place to her health and happiness. Cutting the connection, he began readying his bag. What he wasn’t prepared for was Jaina’s voice behind him.

“So, you’re willing to let your father believe we discussed marriage just to make sure my father can go to Nirauan?” The laughter in her voice was music to his ears. Even though she was joking, the fact that she was of marriageable age among the Chiss, and had been since she was thirteen, was well known to them both.

“As I told him, I’ll do what I must. Your happiness and well-being are most important to me.” He smiled in her direction as he continued stuffing clothing into his bag, realizing too late that she couldn’t see the gesture. She was able to navigate rather well using the Force, and he had to remind himself that she couldn’t see him.

He did not doubt that the first few days on Nirauan would be interesting.

“Care to tell me what’s really going on between you and Jaina?” When the Whyren’s came out, he knew he was in trouble.

“I believe we covered that the first time we met.” He tried to keep the conversation as casual as possible.

“We covered your intentions, not what’s going on. Fel, I’ve seen the way you look at her, and the way she looks at you. I don’t doubt your intentions, kid, but there’s more than friendship there.”

Jagged sighed, knowing he wasn’t getting off the hook so easily. “We both know that now is neither the time nor place for that. We have a war to win, all other considerations are secondary. Romance included.”

“Jaina was kind enough to explain Chiss marital customs to me. What I don’t understand is why.” This wasn’t a conversation Jag wanted to have without Jaina present.

“Even though Thrawn is not a direct part of the Ascendancy, he holds considerable power over the military. In addition, he controls a significant portion of the Nuruodo family wealth. Jaina is his sole heir, making her one of the most desirable matches in Chiss society. Thrawn has already received several offers for her hand.”

“And what of Jaina’s opinions on all this?” Han’s anger was more than understandable.

“You know as well as I that no one makes Jaina do anything unless it’s something she wants to do. I will do what is necessary to ensure her happiness. Right now, I worry that he has received an offer too valuable to refuse.”

“Does that bother you?”

“Yes. We both know that an arranged marriage is a possibility. I will not allow her to be forced into a marriage that she does not want.”

“Is that all Thrawn wanted with her?”

“Jaina was brought to Nirauan because evidence indicated a strong enemy was out there, something dreadful. She has been prepared from infancy to end this war. Had the Vong waited another few years, she would have been out there with a fleet on the first day. As it was, Thrawn wanted to keep her hidden away until she was ready for a fleet.” Jagged didn’t want to go into all the details. Let his father or Thrawn explain the full plan to Solo. Preferably after confiscating his blaster.

“And yet you pushed to have her in your squadron.”

“Sir, ever since I’ve known Jaina she’s dreamt of meeting you. I simply saw a way to expedite that.” No, there was no need to bring up the fact that he couldn’t bear to leave her behind again.

“Even though it would put her in danger?”

“I am versed enough with your family history to realize that you can’t keep a Solo out of danger. I know Jaina well enough to know that she only respects the rules so long as they serve her needs. She was either coming under my command, or she was going to find a way to sneak herself out when we left. I elected to use the route that would at least ensure she was appropriately armed and protected.”

Solo grinned as he set the now empty tumbler down. “I’m going to trust you on this, Fel. But I’m still going to keep the Falcon prepped for a quick launch while you handle Thrawn and your father.”

“It is good to have you back, Jaina.”

“I doubt I’ll be back long, Uncle. The Jedi as well as the New Republic military have need of my skills.” Jaina sat with her legs folded under her, sipping a cup of tea.

“Jaina, you will be needed here. The Sabosen have proposed an alliance that will greatly improve our ability to provide military power in this war.”

“Uncle, that is impossible.” Jaina’s composure hadn’t broken, but she had tensed. This was the moment they had been dreading. Carefully, she set the cup of tea on the table beside the couch.

“Your acceptance is all that is needed to cement the treaty, Jaina.” Had she been of lower rank, a delay in marriage would have been acceptable. In her position, an early marriage to cement power was expected. A failure to marry, especially when offers were in place, would be considered an insult to all those families who had submitted proposals. Not even the Nuruodo could afford such an affront.

“And you don’t have it. I will not be a pawn in political games. If needed, I will be on the first ship out of here, regardless of the effects on my physical health.”

“And how do you propose to compensate for the loss of financial backing once the Sabosen’s offer is declined?”

“I believe you will find that Admiral Pellaeon would be willing to commit the Empire’s forces under your command.” Even though she couldn’t see, her famous glare was directed squarely at Thrawn.

“You have no choice. This war will destroy the galaxy. Are you truly willing to risk billions of sentient beings on emotion? Think rationally. The Hapans are out of the war, and unlikely to return unless directly threatened. The Empire, even under my command, is a shadow of what it once was. The New Republic is crumbling. Any additional strength can only come from the Ascendancy, and you are well aware of their terms.” The cold logic in the situation couldn’t be denied.

“I do have a choice. You can either accept my choice or I can return to New Republic space.” She stood abruptly, and Jagged moved to join her, wrapping an arm around her waist.

“Colonel Fel, if you support this, you will be stripped of your rank and face court martial.”

Jagged met Thrawn’s gaze evenly. “Grand Admiral, General, Jaina has made her decision. I am going to act in Jaina’s best interests, and this is not up for debate.” Wearily, Jaina leaned on him as he escorted her from the room, the door quietly closing behind them.

“Fascinating. General Fel, I believe you have sufficient evidence that your son is Corellian after all.”

Wearily, Soontir settled himself in his favorite chair, whiskey in hand. Thrawn was right. There was no doubt that his son was Corellian. Of all the…

“Tir, is something wrong? You never touch alcohol this early in the day.” Releasing a mental groan, he turned to face his wife. Not only would he have to explain to her that Jagged had gotten a wild hair and opted to defend Jaina Solo regardless of the consequences to himself, he would have to explain exactly how they knew each other. That would lead to his role in her kidnapping. Steeling himself for her disappointment and anger, he began.

Marmot Man, Jedi_Lover and Jade_eyes like this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing] I love Jag's and Jaina's firmness and unmovableness when it comes to each other. It's like I'm not intimidated and I'm not backing down and you can like it or not; :D :D lovers/soulmates - that should be their "Declaration of Independence" in some Smithsonian vault somewhere [face_laugh] :) !!!!!!!!

9. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Unwilling to leave without her, he soon found himself flying as Rogue 10 while she remained on his wing as Rogue 11.

Awww. A bit odd, but awwwww.

Knowing that he couldn’t do anything for her while she rested didn’t ease the dread he felt at leaving her side.

[face_love]

What he was going to propose was sure to anger her father, but he could see no other way.

I’m assuming that’s related to the dread he feels? Because otherwise that seems like a random thought…

“I’m proposing taking a leave of absence in order to go to the Unknown Regions so that she can be treated in a location where resources are less strained.”

Uhhh….yeah. Yep, that’ll bring dread.

You may be a man of your word, but I can’t say I trust Thrawn.”

Fair enough.
    However, Thrawn is surprisingly trustworthy. If only as a “man of his word.”

If Jagged had learned anything from Jaina, it was to hold his ground and refuse to give in.

*snerk*

The first rule of arguing Jaina-style: accept no alternative and make it clear that the only way the argument would end was surrender.

Heck yeah!
    I’ve seen the way you look at her, and the way she looks at you. I don’t doubt your intentions, kid, but there’s more than friendship there.”

Even if it’s “bad” I like it :D

This wasn’t a conversation Jag wanted to have without Jaina present.

[face_laugh] Maybe not, but sometimes a man just has to swallow his fear :p

Solo grinned as he set the now empty tumbler down. “I’m going to trust you on this, Fel. But I’m still going to keep the Falcon prepped for a quick launch while you handle Thrawn and your father.”

:D Han is nothing short of intelligent.

“I do have a choice. You can either accept my choice or I can return to New Republic space.”

*sigh*

This aught to be interesting :D

10. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Great update

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Jag and Jaina are two of a kind. They are awesome together. I love them in this fic.

Their marriage in the profics is one bright spot in a dark series of novels. They are a great couple.

Great update!

12. Exploded-Girl

Exploded-Girl Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2004
    Awesome concept! And a new one, too, I think! =D=

I feel like this could stand a bit more description. It seems like a lot of opportunities are being missed as several very important directions are getting brushed over. For instance, Jaina and Jacen's bond. Could they feel each other growing up? What was the reunion like? The same with Leia.

We don't really know this Jaina that grew up in a totally different environment from the canon version There was no rebelling and dating and loving family for this young girl. How does that affect her personality? She seems the exact same. Everything appears to be rushed towards something, so I anxiously anticipate that moment.

I don't mean to criticise, merely offer constructive thinking points as I think you could make this something of epic proportions. I love this idea (as much as I feel bad for Han), and your writing is very well done. I absolutely love that so much of this is from Soontir's perspective. As I said, I don't think I've seen this idea before, and I'm curious to see where you lead us.

~Kelsey

13. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Im not usually one for J/J or anything to do with any of the Rebel/Republic characters, Beyond novels have actually gotten boring for me, but Thrawn being in a story with J/J got me intrigued enough to take a look. I looked, I grinned and I laughed. I like. :D

*looks for the Mass Like button*

14. IceFire27

Jan 16, 2007
    I have fallen behind! :eek: I stayed away too long! Awesome updates! I can't wait to see the reactions Soontir gets from his family. And Jag standing up for Jaina and making sure that she doesn't get railroaded into anything (Showing his Corellian side) is enough to make my heart melt! Now if only Corellians existed in real life...

15. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    The darkness grew heavier, yet Jag refused to turn on the lights. Thrawn would not accept no for an answer. Jaina’s time had run out, and they both knew it. It was entirely one thing to tell Thrawn that she refused, but the reality was quite different. The depths of his miscalculation in bringing her to Nirauan weighed heavily on his shoulders. He’d known the offer had come in, but what he hadn’t realized was the bidding war between the Csapla and Sabosen had become incredibly heated. The Sabosen’s initial offer was tempting, but the current offer was staggering. Jag knew he could never afford a tenth the sum they were offering, not even if he mortgaged everything his family had possessed for the last several generations. The financial agreements alone would ensure the best fleet possible being sent to meet the Vong, and it would be a fleet capable of truly crushing them. Her marriage to the Sabosen family could very well ensure the end of the war. He tried not to think of the children who were already orphaned, and how many more would lose their entire family in the war if Jaina didn’t accept. He knew he was being selfish, and yet he’d give anything to prevent the chain of events that now seemed inevitable.

In the face of the galaxy’s future, what was love between two people? Did the parents who would never see their children again love any less than he? Was the future they would lose any less important than his? He knew he wasn’t the only one who wanted to grow old with the woman he loved, with children and then grandchildren playing at his feet. Logically, it was millions of futures against his own. So why did his heart scream so loudly that it was wrong? Would the galaxy really be served by his whisking Jaina away? And yet, how would he survive without seeing her smile? He’d dreamed of waking up, the sun highlighting her delicate skin as he held her close. His entire future lay before him, and in every image Jaina’s smile dominated. Without Jaina, he could only see an empty void. As his thoughts swirled ever deeper, he refused to acknowledge the tears slowly tracing their way down his cheeks. He’d never thought one could be forced to choose between their soul and the survival of the galaxy. Despite the late hour, he knew he needed to speak to General Solo. If anyone could understand his situation, it was going to be the aging general.
    ***********************************************************************************
    Han knew this was his daughter the kid was talking about marrying, and that he was honor-bound to threaten him with a blaster at least a few times, and carbonite just for effect. And yet… He just couldn’t bring himself to do it. The utter despondence radiating from Jag made any form of threatening hollow at best, cruel at worst. When the younger man explained the terms of the Sabosen offer, he knew exactly what was on the table. It was exactly the type of offer Leia had received from Hapes, and Han hadn’t reacted any better. At least the kid wasn’t a drunken mess yet, or acting like a ronto’s behind. But he knew those tortured emotions all too well. Against his will, perhaps his better judgement, he found himself siding with the poor kid.

“Sir, if I can arrange a counter offer, would I have your blessing?”

“Well kid, I can’t say I know how to conjure up the money to beat their offer. Even I’m not that good at Sabacc. But if I know anything about Thrawn, it’s that he respects strategy. So let’s give him one he can’t argue with.”

The hope in Fel’s eyes was almost too much. Not for the first time, he wondered what he was doing. Jaina was seventeen, Jag nineteen. Neither were remotely old enough for this. But he had to remind himself that Jaina and Jag were both raised Chiss. In that society, they were of age years ago. Leia just might kill him for this, but it was Fel or some random Chiss family that would likely never let her see the Known Regions again. He’d lost his daughter once, he wasn’t going to lose her again. And definitely not to some blue-skinned stranger who would only view her as a trophy. He didn’t doubt that Fel loved Jaina, he knew the look in the kid’s eyes all too well.

“You have my blessing, but there are conditions.”

“Name them.”

“One: I expect a good and lengthy engagement. Two: If Thrawn says no, we blast off this rock immediately. Three: I expect to see Jaina regularly, regardless of where she is.”

“I accept. And General, thank you.”

“No more of this general shavit. You’re family now, like it or not. Call me Han. Now, let’s get down to business, and list out all the reasons this Sabosen thing is a really bad deal.”

***********************************************************************************

“Colonel Fel, I have been expecting you.” As he gazed at the young man before him, his thoughts were drawn to that fateful day seven years ago. At the time, Jagged was an unsure child trying his hardest to enter the realm of adulthood. Now, very little of that boy remained, however he didn’t doubt that the man would advocate for Jaina just as heatedly.

“Grand Admiral, I have come to submit my offer for Major Solo’s hand.”

If he were human, his eyebrows might have shot up through the ceiling. Bold, even for a Corellian. Even with their penchant for impossible odds, all logic would have told Jagged that there was no possibility of his suit being accepted. What could he possibly offer that would compete with the Sabosen’s offer?

“You are aware of the terms of the Sabosen’s offer?”

“I am.”

“And you can provide a more compelling one?”

“I can.” He didn’t miss the deep breath Fel took before continuing. “I can offer her a home where she is loved for who she is, respected as a warrior and a leader. Where she is allowed to shine, and her skills appreciated and maximized. I offer her a position as an equal at my side, not an ornament on my shelf. I believe you may find the Sabosen’s offer financially compelling, but they will not want to risk their investment being lost. They would hide her away, keeping her caged so as to minimize the risk of anything shattering their tie to the Nuruodos, meanwhile destroying plans that have been in motion for seventeen years. I offer her the ability to do what she has been born and trained to do, to lead House Nuruodo as you have intended from the start. Further, by keeping her hidden away, allowing a marriage to the Sabosens will greatly weaken the Ascendency’s position with the New Republic, and possibly the Empire, both of which expended considerable sums in order to locate her. In addition, you and I both know Jaina well enough to know that she will not stay with the Sabosens. Whether it requires escape or suicide, she would not allow herself to stay locked in a palace. The terms with the Sabosens are not supportable, nor are they enforceable. No matter what, the treaty would be doomed to fail.”

Critically, he eyed the young man in front of him. The uniform was immaculate, each medal carefully polished before being hung in its rightful place. Alongside the Chiss medals shone several from the New Republic. Fel stood ramrod straight, only the slight redness in his eyes signaled anything less than pure professionalism. Clearly, Fel was emotionally involved and the dark circles under his eyes hinted to the lack of sleep. There was no doubt the young man spent his night formulating a way to ask for the impossible. The arguments he laid out were valid, and questions he’d asked himself on more than one occasion.

“Did you come to these conclusions on your own, Colonel?”

“I admit I had help from General Solo.”

“Has General Solo agreed to your proposal?”

“He has, on the condition that the engagement is lengthy and with the understanding that we leave at the first sign of your refusing it.”

An uncharacteristic smile graced Thrawn’s features. A simple push of a button summoned Jaina to the office. It didn’t take long for her to sweep into the office, attired in an elegant day dress he recognized as the one he bought for the small ceremony promoting Jagged to colonel just before they’d left for the Known Regions. She was able to turn her head his direction, although she was still temporarily blind.

“Jaina, in addition to the offers from the Csapla and Sabosen, I have received a third offer this morning. Colonel Fel has offered for your hand, and I am inclined to give my approval to the match.” He didn’t get to finish speaking before Jaina had launched herself into Jagged’s arms, nearly knocking him over.

“I consider the matter settled. Colonel Fel, I will hold you to the terms of your agreement.”

“Yes, sir. Thank you.”

As Jaina turned and wrapped her arms around him, Thrawn understood what it meant to be a father. He’d long understood paternal pride and affection, but until this moment had never truly understood what it meant to love. As he returned her embrace, he understood why Jagged had faced him that morning, and that morning all those years ago. Why Admiral Parck and his wife would sacrifice so much to make Jaina smile. Why Soontir stayed up anxiously awaiting news of Jag each day. The Sabosens be damned, Jaina’s happiness was worth it.

16. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    t was entirely one thing to tell Thrawn that she refused, but the reality was quite different.

Heh, heh, heh.

As his thoughts swirled ever deeper, he refused to acknowledge the tears slowly tracing their way down his cheeks.

know he's not emotionless, but I almost can't see that happening.
    HOWEVER he's alone, which makes it more believable.

It was exactly the type of offer Leia had received from Hapes, and Han hadn’t reacted any better. At least the kid wasn’t a drunken mess yet, or acting like a ronto’s behind.

I know that it's not funny, but it made me chuckle.

Leia just might kill him for this, but it was Fel or some random Chiss family that would likely never let her see the Known Regions again.

True facts.

I like Han's conditions and his response to Jag. Family :D

Whether it requires escape or suicide, she would not allow herself to stay locked in a palace.

That's Jaina all right, raised by Chiss or not.

An uncharacteristic smile graced Thrawn’s features.

That doesn't sound promising.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] on the update and the turn of events [face_dancing] WOOOOOOOOT! Loved Jag's resolve continuing and vulnerability, Han's reaction and terms, and Jag's reasonings with Thrawn. This last are spot-on. He speaks truly of political reality and Jaina's actual character. Thrawn recognizes this and he is not a fool either. :p

18. IceFire27

Jan 16, 2007
    Yeah!!!! I loved the way Jag asked Han for permission, even before going to Thrawn. Using an argument that would speak to the heart of what any parent would want for their child was a very smart move. I also believe that the news should help Jaina in her recovery. She now has a reason the heal faster. Thanks for the update! Please keep up the good work! =D=

Nyota's Heart likes this.