main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A merger on the horizon I foresee

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by Uilmuteiz, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Star Wars audiophile your attention please,

Due to the decrease in our wonderful fandom activities over the past few months (The Star Wars fandom as a whole), it has been decided to merge three boards of the Jedi Council Fan Activities, Fan Audio and Sci-Fi-3D will soon be accessible through the shiny new ?Fan Film, Fan Audio and Sci-Fi 3D? boards.

We?re hoping to help the communities better discover their productions be it a fan film or a fan audio and share on their experience achieving their end result.

If there are any particular thread that you feel should be transferred into the new board before the merger takes place, do let us know.

I do feel this is for the better as we'll be able to clearly communicate with fans who may need our Audio expertise in the post-production step of their fan film :)

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I hope that this has nothing to do with decreased use on this forum; that would be a drag. I saw this message a couple days back, and thought that it may help some people, but won't be beneficial to others.

3. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    I think it's really for the better.

In the end Fan film will get a better more diverse crowd. It's going to be just like the cantina in there.

4. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, but there won't be much about fan audio on there. Plus, then it gets too crowded and less fun. Out of the three to be merged, I only visit this forum.

5. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Well, now that I've had a day to think about it, this forum gets litle to no usage. A merger is probably the best way to get it back into the limelight.

6. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    Oddly, this forum, which never really saw much use, was actually created years ago when some of the first major English-language fan audio productions (DLR, Second Strike, Rise of Nobility, et al) were essentially a growing, yet tangential, part of the fan FILM community and the fan FILM board.

When TFN Fan Films decided to focus on hosting video projects that were not SW, they also chose not to worry with fan audio productions at all. (That was around the time that Stormtrooper Bob, for other reasons, left TFN Fan Films as well, leaving only DLR on TFN Fan Films, which was a show centered around fan films to start with anyway.)

After that, Keith Abbott (Rise of Nobility) and a few other started pushing for a new fan audio board, seeing as how people were starting to get cranky on the fan films board about people discussing this new genre of audio productions on their board.

Thus, this board was created, then rarely traveled.

Interestingly, that sequence of events (and the reorganization of StarWarz.com when they switched over to a new webhost) helped give birth to StarWarsFanworks.com and its message board, which has since become the hub of the fan audio community. It was literally years later when TFN got back into audio with the TFN Podcast, which then died and gave rise to the Force-Cast.

I find it ironic that now, something like five years after the fan audio community found themselves feeling (part justly, part unjustly) "banished" from the community in which such projects (minus Jedi Talk and Star Wars en Direct) were initially "born," that now those two boards (and the other) will be merged again.

None of that is meant as a slight against TFN. The decision made sense at the time, and it certainly helped really give rise to a whole new fan audio community out of Fanworks that might have stayed an "abused stepchild" of the broader fan film and fan fiction community if there hadn't been something to kick us all in the butt and get us in gear to take our genre's future into our own hands. One has to wonder what the fan audio landscape would be like today if those events at TFN Fan Films and StarWarz.com had not come to pass at just the right time in the genre's early development.

Out of curiosity, how is the fan film community taking this same news? I recall a lot of hostility toward fan audio as "not being a REAL fan production medium" back in '03 or so when things were shifting around. Has that opinion shifted, or is this being considered somewhat of an affront to video productions?

7. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Well, no one is showing up regularly, if that's what you mean. Someone creates a topic, then disappears when it's not answered for several months. Then someone comes along and answers their inquiries, but they've liong forgotten that they ever posted in this forum. That's why all the topics seem to be from different posters; one post and done for them, it seems.

8. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Most also don't seem to have the slightest clue what "Fan Audio" actually means.

Fan audio is the genre of fan productions that includes fan-made parodies (though generally not musical parodies, which are something until themselves), audio dramas, and radio shows (now usually called podcasts).

Numerous threads here have nothing even remotely to do with such productions or even the process behind them. There seems to be no clear purpose stated for the board, and without much in the way of fan audio discussion, that purpose is not going to be obvious.

9. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Hence making a move back to the Fan Film boards and hopefully not only creating topics that will help out everyone on the Audio Level of things, but also bring back some life to the Audio community of TFN who listens to other productions beside The Force Cast.

10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    You have a point there. Hopefully a merger will get this board back on the map because it is tied in with the other elements vital to making a decent fan film. Now it makes more sense.

11. jamesehomepage

jamesehomepage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    I just think that audio productions will be swamped under fan film threads. I don't want to go 10 pages back to try and find my podcast's thread.

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Well, that seems really likely. Although I agree with you, there might be a way to keep Fan Audio relevant. If everyone posts to those threads, then they will keep showing up on the first few pages. It sounds dumb, but it would save at least a little bit of this forum's image. We must do what we can to keep it in relevance.

13. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    we're thinking of keeping a thread sticky so that the main fan audio threads will be easy to find amongst everything else.

And an easy way to keep track of a thread is to activate the notification fonction.

14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Right. A sticky should keep the genre important because it will always be there. Is a sticky a banner thread?

15. Son_Of_Skywalker15

Son_Of_Skywalker15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2006
    Probably the best idea for now. Any news on a timetable for when it will happen?

16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    No. Nothing has been said about a time, just that it will occur someday.

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Hey, at least there are a few others who post in this forum as well. It's not totally dead...yet. :D

18. jamesehomepage

jamesehomepage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    I always post on my podcast's threads when I post a new episode. That's how I keep mine threads up.

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Well, keep doing that. For everyone to know, we have to decide which threads will transfer over to the merged forum. Anyone have any ideas?

20. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    I'd suggest all or nothing.

21. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I think that we should make a sticky in the new forum explaining how Fan Audio is a critical element in fan filmmaking. Otherwise, there really isn't much to transfer over; all of the remaining threads have only a few responses. Maybe the "Least Favorite Sound" thread could be moved.

22. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    All right guys (and gals) I've pretty much decided on starting up a new thread in the new forum that will include all of the ongoing podcasts. This will be "the thread" in which producer can announce their next shows. I'm also thinking of keeping a schedule up in the thread every week or so.

I've looked at all the remaining threads and I don't see anything with "major" importance that would need to be transfered for anything else than "historical value".

We're turning a page in the history of fandom and of the JC so I say we start anew.

I hope you're all with me on this and that I will be able to count on you to spring up fan audio life in the new forum.

The merger should take place over the next few days.

"Catch you on the flip side"

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Next few days? It's (the wait) finally going to get over with!

24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Another day closer to the merger, and yet no telltale signs of when it will finally occur. When will it happen, you say? To be honest, no one here knows the exact time that it will occur.

25. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    If there's going to be a sticky, I'd suggest that a Fanworks link be included in that sticky, as it is on the board here, so as to ensure that people know where to get news, given that it's not covered by FanFilms.com. (Of course, then the link could actually be fixed, since the one on this page has always had the W capitalized, when it shouldn't be . . . )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.