main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A thought about Anakin's Vision

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Sanity, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Sanity

Darth_Sanity Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2005
    I just realized when Anakin has his vision of Padme dying in childbirth She is saying "I Love you Anakin" and you hear babies crying in the background.
    The second vision Obi-Wan is standing over her and she dies.

When it happens in reality, she doesn't say I love you Anakin and the babies don't cry, but Obi-Wan does stand over her as she dies although this time he has Luke in his arms.

I wonder if maybe the first vision is what would have happened if Anakin had not turned to the dark side. She would have died with Anakin at her side telling him that she loved him.
    In the second vision I think Anakin had already made his decision and just didn't know it yet that's why Obi-Wan was at her side instead of Anakin. Any thoughts?

2. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    That's a great observation. Is Padme screaming "save me" in the second vision? Because if she is, then it doesn't quite fit.

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    She's actually saying "Help me, Anakin" in the first vision.

4. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Yoda says that the future is always in motion - always changing. Basically he says that you can't predict exactly what will happen. Look at his visions of his mother. We have no indication at all that he knows beforehand that Tusken's kill his mother. He just knows that she dies. The exact details are irrelevant.

5. Darth_Sanity

Nov 8, 2005
    You are right she is saying "help me, Anakin" in the first vision and no she doesn't say "save me" in the second vision. I have thought that palpatine would never have let her or the twins live. Maybe that is why she says "help me" in the first vision. I just thought about this because it has always bothered me the way she punked out and gave up. It just didn't mesh with her character. But if you think about it, if it is the will of the force for her to die then she was going to die no matter how the events took place.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    This is what's said the second time.

OBI-WAN: "Save your energy."

PADME: "I can't!"

OBI-WAN: "Don't give up, Padme. Don't give up."

Anakin's forgetting that the future is always in motion. This is what Yoda warns Anakin about, but he doesn't listen.

7. Darth_Sanity

Nov 8, 2005
    I keep thinking about the first vision. She's so upset, but for different reasons than what happens in reality. I guess I kind of picture that someone is there hurting her or threatening her. And the babies cries are so shrill, not just the first breath cry, but a help me kind of cry. Like maybe someone is killing her and either stealing the babies or killing them too. And she's screaming Anakin help me, so is he there, and if so is he being restrained or is he in on it. I guess it kind of goes back to what if's.

8. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Like others have said, the point is that the future is always in motion. This is something that Anakin has never been able to grasp. Yes, his mother really was in danger, and he did give her some peace before her death. But the big question with Padme was did his actions to prevent her death inadvertently cause her death? Who knows, maybe she was meant to die. But all the different versions of her death are just meant to drive home the point that you can't predict the future, and you can't stop destiny. But as far as we know the only thing that is meant to happen is Anakin bringing balance to the Force. He set up the dominoes himself and perhaps got into a situation, because of these dreams whether real or imagined, where the only way for him to bring balance was to turn to the darkside, thus bringing Padme's death. Maybe it didn't have to happen that way, but maybe it did. It's an interesting subject.

9. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    i have to have cut anakin some slack here ----
    with those dreams of his mother coming true....why would he doubt that the premonitions of the death of padme would not prove to be likewise?

10. am-pm

am-pm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    I had this for a theory -

Perhaps the first vision he had of her and the babies seeming to be in trouble was a vision of Palpatine killing them. I mean, if Anakin had not turned to the dark side by then, then Palpatine would have become more desperate to get rid of his "competition" and also to force Anakin to turn by bringing more pain into his life, perhaps blaming their deaths on the Jedi. Of course, Anakin did not know exactly what he was seeing or who was harming her.

Second vision was closer to the way things happened, he turned to the dark side but she died anyway, this time with Obi-Wan at her side.

But point being, either way, Padme was going to die. But perhaps in making the stupid decision he made, it at least allowed Luke and Leia to live, because Palpatine THOUGHT they died.

I hope I am making sense. It is clear in my own mind, I promise. LOL.

11. blicknasty

blicknasty Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    Padme would not have died if Anakin did not fall to the darkside.

12. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    In Anakin's dream he didn't know that he'd be across the galaxy being turned into a cyborg. ;)

13. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Here's a cool, relevent image I just found.

[image=http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/646/vadersremorse9cm.jpg]

14. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I always thought it would have been cool if Lucas could have found a way to write in Anakin's arrival on Tatooine as a reason for the Tuskens getting frisky and killing his mother. Like, He landed his ship too close to Tusken territory and they got even madder at humans so they went and attacked the lars homestead and took Shmi. It would be unknown to the characters that this is why the Tuskens attacked, but we the viewer would know. It would have made Anakin's premonitions more potent. Fear, the path of the darkside, would cause Anakin to go in search of his safe mother. His search turns her from safe to unsafe, and the dreams bred out of Anakin's fear become reality. As is, He sensed a certain future for her that was beyond his control and his actions did not affect the outcome. This puts the first Padme dream into a different perspective....one that suggests he may not have had control over her living or dying anyway. That takes some of the tragedy out of it. If she was to die no matter if he stayed in the light or fell to the dark, it's less intriguing.

Carnage

15. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    Anakin's paranoia (Dark Side or not) would not help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.