main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Remember that scene in LOTF where Wedge escaped from some room with water on the floor by throwing a loose wire on the ground and electrocuting the guard?

I can now attest from personal experience that it doesn't kill you that fast. But just the same, I don't suggest playing mythbusters and trying it for kicks. It doesn't feel like a kick.

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So you're dying slowly right now? :p

3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yikes! I'm glad you're ok!

Sinrebirth and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    So is your hair all Einstein? If so, then post pics.

PS I'm glad that you weren't vaporized.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Haha almost! The hair all along one of my arms (the one that got zapped first) wouldn't go down for a while. I was sort of afraid to touch anything immediately after... especially say, rugs and whatever else usually produces static.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol!

BC, you should learn to do the splits!
    [​IMG]
    It could prevent future accidents.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Nothing like being woken up at 4:30 AM for a loud and obnoxious tornado warning. Excuse me while I go kill something.

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Dropping this here because it's awesome.
    [​IMG]

9. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I just found out that the network that shows Game of Thrones here is going to keep its promise to show new episodes immediately when their contract allows. On Thursday next week the new season begins, and they have a marathon of the first five episodes. Then those same episodes will be shown one per week for people who can't handle the marathon (me!), and then another marathon of episodes 6-10.
    I know that I am impatient and on many ways this is great for everyone, but seriously?

10. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, the upside to Morgantown's current weather is that it is about 70 outside.

The downside is that it's pretty much a hurricane.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Weather is muggy and swampy. V. annoying.

Ew. That's no way to watch a show. I know, because I watched LOST via marathon and it was not the best way to do it.

12. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    It definitely depends on the show. For example, the second season of The Walking Dead is better when you marathon it.

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I enjoyed watching LOST as a marathon though I only did it with the first three seasons and then watched the fourth normally.

It is also getting really windy here. I think it is going to be a stellar storm this evening but I'm glad it delayed itself cuz otherwise the storm was supposed to start in an hour and I'd rather not have to drive to pick up my niece while it is storming.

In other nanny news I got my nephew to poop in the potty today! It is amazing the things that feel like huge accomplishments right now. He isn't napping though which probably means he's going to be a crab later.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not a fan of marathons in general... I'm the type of person that doesn't like to sit still for very long.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Congrats to Horsey's nephew :p

s65horsey likes this.
  16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Marathons are awesome. You get the show you like, plus more of the show you like. I'm unable to watch only one Mad Men episode at a time. It's too good to watch one and then be like, "Oh, that was so great, I don't want to watch this show anymore." I can try, but I pretty much always finish the disk.

17. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Marathoning can also help to overcome pacing issues- once again, season 2 of TWD is a great example.

Then again, I tend to overdo such things; witness my ungodly weekend Total War/CKII sessions.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    *cautiously steps out of lurkdom*

Hi all.

I love TV show marathons. Just came off one for Big Bang Theory, currently on Game of Thrones.

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Good, good...

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'm all for marathons- its sometimes the only practical way to catch up on a show. I don't mind watching shows weekly, but watching 3-4 in a row is usually ideal, depending on the show.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hi a_g! Stay awhile! :)

Well, I view TV like a scarce product. If I like a show (or a book... or a game), I don't want to finish it all at once. I ration it.

Of course, sometimes a show is so good that I can't help but eat it all up... but then I run out and I feel terrible for binge viewing. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Just finished the House marathon.

It definitely works as a marathon show.

Buffy, not so much.

RC-1991 likes this.
  23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That's what more shows are for. The individual shows may be a scarce product, but good TV isn't -- there's a ton to get through. Go through one, then move on to another show. Or new movies, or books, or whatever.

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I dare anyone not to marathon Firefly.

Or not rage at Fox when you've finished all the episodes.

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    See, I think dragging it out a bit * actually makes it somewhat better. When I was watching Breaking Bad, the end of the show would be agonizing; my immediate, primal instinct is to set aside everything else and watch another. It's a test of character :p

But really, it is kind of fun to have to look forward to the next episode, even if you do it the wuss way like me and watch about an episode a day, rather than an episode a week.

*Emphasis on a bit. I don't think I could watch a full season of a show I really like on a week-by-week basis. That's no fun.

Dare accepted and conquered. I'm watching Firefly now, and watching it way more slowly than I would like to (I don't have my blu ray player with me at all times). Great show though. It's definitely something I would want to ration.

I'm fairly sure I will still be pissed at Fox though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.