main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    hmmm.... some sort of black and white avian creature (probably from some sort of Caribbean island), with three triangular bits of cheese floating above it.

I get it! It's WEDGE ANTILLES

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Have you seen any episodes of the show? Serenity is essentially a long series finale. As others have noted, it's way more plot driven, while the show itself is more about the characters having light hearted adventures. The Reavers, for example, are never actually seen on the show.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Over-rated, possibly. Boring? NEVARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I watched about 4-5 episodes, IIRC. It just didn't work for me. Hell, I love Adam Baldwin (especially in NBC's Chuck), but the crew just didn't appeal to me.

--Adm. Nick

5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Firefly is definitely one of those shows where if you don't like the characters the whole thing falls apart.

6. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Fair enough. I get how Joss Whedon's shows can turn a lot of people away.

Speaking of awesome TV, did the premiere of Community seem... different/off to anyone else? I felt like it was missing that special spark for most of it. :(

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    While we're on the subject of TV, I've had some time to watch a good bit of The Walking Dead. Just got to "18 Miles Out". Probably the best episode of the series, despite Lori and Andrea. I wanted to feed both of them to the walkers at one point. I suppose I agree with Andrea if we're just speaking of her argument, but she should really take her own advice; her presentation needs a lot of work.

Overall, I still feel the Walking Dead comic is better, despite the TV show being better in many ways. For one, Shane is just simply a better, more fully realized character in the TV series. He was very one note in the comic, but I feel that fleshing him out over the course of two seasons was absolutely the right move. I like a few of the new characters as well, but still question the inclusion of others.

From what I've seen, I don't think the TV version of the Governor will touch the comic version. He was done extremely well in the comic (I'm sure they won't be touching that torture scene [face_sick]). I like that the TV show has some divulging plotlines, but at times it feels almost like filler. Of course, depending on how much you enjoy it, you could just as easily call filler character development.

Overall, I'm very glad I read the comic first, even if I don't believe the comic is the greatest thing under the sun either (though it is good). I am glad overall that Game of Thrones chose to adhere a bit more to the source material, but I think doing something different works to The Walking Dead's advantage.

Of course, though the comic and show are good in their own way, the game is unquestionably the greatest thing in the franchise.

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Second Season of TWD drags, but not so much if you marathon it. I guess that I'm weird in that I actually liked Lori for the most part- I understood her choices, even if some of them were dumb.

Andrea, on the other hand, has finally exhausted all of the goodwill that I gave her for being the same actress who played Maritas Covarrubias in X-Files.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I haven't seen the premiere of the new Community season - to be honest, the end of Season Three was a great way to end the series. Plus, I'm just going to be annoyed every time I see Chevy Chase's smug face in the new season. (Although I heard the cleverly managed to minimize his presence in the episode)

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I actually don't dislike Lori. I dislike some of the things she says, but I don't dislike the character at all. Comic version, that's a different story. She's incredibly annoying there.

Oddly enough, I like comic Andrea, but heavily dislike TV show Andrea. But to be honest, I don't even remember how Andrea was portrayed early on in the comic, I just like her from the prison arc. Maybe (hopefully) she'll become less reprehensible in the show as it goes on.

I hear the Walking Dead comic begins to drag, unfortunately. I finished the first compendium, and am going to read the second one soon. The first one certainly ended with a bang.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    On TWD, I probably prefer the comic over the show, most of the time. I do like that the show often goes in radically different directions than the comic, though. makes it more suspenseful for me.
    Perhaps it's the fact that Dan Harmon is no longer showrunner. I thought it was pretty good.
    Chase has also left the show. This will be his last season, if the show even survives past S4.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    edit: Oh, Community's back? Argh, I am sucking at TV this semester. No time for anything. :(

I can't blame you, Nick. It's basically like watching a show about former Rebels after they'd lost the war. Who'd find anything likable about people like that? :p

13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I wonder what would happen if the U.S.S. Enterprise found a derelict Impstar Deuce in a nebula somewhere in the Beta Quadrant...

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, but he's still around for half this season.

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    LOL, I hadn't really thought about that. The Browncoats did lose, but I never feel like the explained well what they were fighting for against the Alliance. Plus I was confused about the Alliance. They weren't stereotypical villains like the Galactic Empire, but I never felt that the Alliance and its intentions were properly explained.

Again, I have only seen part of the first season and the movie, but it never grabbed my attention.

--Adm. Nick

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Has anyone by chance watched the BBC show Grandma's House? It's only got two seasons of six episodes (and there won't be anymore), but it's brilliant.

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Alliance is not meant to be evil, governments rarely are after all, it’s just the government (or “the man” if you like), with all that can be good and all that can be bad about it. They are basically a Federal Republic formed by the more developed worlds that felt that the outer Moons and outer Planets needed to be civilized, whenever they wanted to be or not. Since they won the war they now get to enforce law, order and civilization on the worlds that were formerly the Independents (-> Browncoats).

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It was too busy, the lighting was different, and it did feel a little off. That said, I'm still a fan of the show, and still shipping Jeff/Annie.

As for Serenity, it is less a long season finale, but a much shortened season 2.

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I'd like to see a serial sci-fi show along the lines of a cross between Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica. On the one hand, you could have more interesting character development without the constant 900lb gorilla in the room that the Cylons represent, but you could also have starship and/or starfighter battles with more focus on the action and a bit less so on diplomacy.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    You mean X-Wing the series? Alternatively TIE fighter the series. :p Though if you have not checked it out yet, Space Above and Beyond might be to your liking.

22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd be all for an X-Wing series, but I would also like to see other pilots than Corran get their fair share of the spotlight. I swear, in the first book, it was all Corran, all the time, with his wingmen sitting back while Corran did everything. Ooryl rarely did anything! He just sat in his X-wing and played Kirby on his DS.

Mirax Terrik likes this.
  23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I liked Space: Above and Beyond, but only got to see the first four episodes before YouTube cracked down. I heard that the last episode ends with an interesting abbreviation: "AMF." Anyone who's in the military will know what it means (as I do).

As for an X-wing or TIE Fighter TV show, that'd be cool. What would be better would be a Mandalorian Wars TV show.

24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    There are far too many Mandolorians these days. They don't need yet more attention.

How about a cop show like ESPOS.

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    TROOPS is filmed on location with the men of the Imperial forces. All suspects are guilty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.