main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You should be thanking me every morning when you wake up, along with Jesus, for giving you incentive to play Jedi Knight.

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Jedi Knight is awesome. Only played it once, should replay it soon (maybe I'll go dark side this time). My only complaint is that, for me at least, the cutscenes are positively broken; I'd love to see Jerec in all of his hammy glory, but my cutscenes are banished to the top left corner of the screen. It's like watching a video on an iphone.

I'd love to see this character model mod (and any others that improve the game)

Also, while we're on the subject of old school Star Wars games, I want to try X-Wing/TIE Fighter, yet I hear they're a pain to set up. Can anyone help me out? I suppose I should start with actually tracking down a copy of the games. Too bad they're not on Steam.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Here's some thread somewhere with install instructions for the mod I mentioned: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25545971

Installing X-wing and TIE Fighter are easy if you have the original (superior!) DOS Collector CD versions: get dosbox, mount your CD-ROM drive, and play! I play TIE all the time. :)

If you're using Xwing95 or TIE95, you have to download a 32-bit installer from the interwebs, make a special install disc, and install from that, then use your original play discs when you play. Also you have to install some silly 3d accelerator patch for modern computers. Also you have to deal with sucky, sucky, subpar, stupid remakes that eliminate the iMUSE from the game and therefore completely ruin the game experience but instead replace the awesome music with stupid CD audio played on a loop. Oh, and all they give you in return is an improved out-of-combat interface and art, and XvT style ships. Not worth it -- go for DOS!

instantdeath likes this.
  4. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ouch- TIE Fighter collectors edition is running for $150. Thank the gods for used versions.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Behold the glory.

Gorefiend and instantdeath like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, never get the unopened price tag for old games -- for some reason those are prohibitively high while used copies tend to be dirt cheap.

As far as JK's cutscenes: that's a limitation of the game. The steam version was designed to play them in a small window because FMVs can't just be set at a full screen resolution like video game renders can. I'm actually glad they did that, because normally games with low-res cutscenes played in fullscreen mode just jack your monitor's screen res up and down repeatedly... which is not good.

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    instantdeath likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

:eek:
    Yeah thx I will pass and stick to non horror stuff ;)

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Makes me Patriotic little heart burst with pride.

"Some other British prisoners were singing a rude song to the tune of "Deutschland uber Alles" as they passed two high German officials in uniform. When one of these officials said "That's going a little too far, my friends", one of the prisoners who understood German called back "We're not your friends, we're British."

"The crowning insult was the disfigurement of a portrait of the Führer in a station waiting room by a British prisoner who drew rude pictures over it."

[face_tee_hee]

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You should just start a company like Geek Squad that goes from house to house setting up 20-year-old games for people. Say, I dunno...Rogue Squad. :D

jSarek likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wish I could remember the name of the French movie that I watched about Hitler's takeover of Paris; all I remember is that it was about a boys' school which the main characters attended.

There was a scene in which two of the boys were talking to German soldiers standing on a street corner; the headmaster asked another student what they were doing, and the student replied, "Giving the Germans wrong directions."

12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Au Revoir Les Enfants

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Thank you!

krtmd likes this.
  14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    AdmiralNick22 - Emmy nominations are out and House of Cards, Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright all got nominated. I so loved this series - so thanks for encouraging people to watch it. Can't wait for S2.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Did you check out the British version, too?

16. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm sure you'll be disappointed in me, but no.

17. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Do it. Do it now.

krtmd likes this.
  18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I just started following another handful of people.

SORRY IF IT FREAKS YOU OUT.

(I'm not actually sorry)

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Awesome! They both deserve the nominations, plus I cannot wait for the next season! :D

--Adm. Nick

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That actually looks more Twin Peaksian... color me intrigued.

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    heh, I maintain a very exclusive list of followers (actually mostly that I'm lazy and rarely think to add people, but I prefer the other explanation!)

But I suppose I should add you or something.

22. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    That's exactly what it is.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Uli's been following me for a year, and he hasn't caught me yet! [face_mischief]

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It's all about the chase, precious.

jSarek, JackG and CooperTFN like this.
  25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not really sure what the purpose of following is. If you're stalking someone, it doesn't seem like a very good idea to give them a heads up about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.