main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I wasn't really hanging out to watch it, but I turned on "Today" for whatever reason to hear Karl Stefanovic commentating as Obama and Friends were wandering around Washington, trying to find the White House.

I have no problem with Karl, but, uh, would it have hurt to have had an expert on the matter? Oh, well...I suppose they had whatsisface. The US correspondent.

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    They had that on at work this morning. Kind of cool to see.

BTW, nice thread. Good to see some of us actually pick up on details I never bother to look for or remember. Makes things more interesting.

3. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    It's Channel Nine, their coverage and commentary is a wee bit better than Seven's. I wanted to watch the CNN broadcast, but the website wouldn't let me.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    So, I just watched the entire first season of Spaced. Awesome.

5. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    I adored Hot Fuzz (and demand that there be a spin-off Tim Dalton/Jim Broadbent buddy film), but I was less than enthused about Shaun of the Dead.

So I'm kinda semi-interested in "Spaced". But more interested in whatever Wright/Pegg/Frost do next.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Huh. I loved Shaun. Probably even better than Hot Fuzz. Spaced didn't really get going until the third episode, after which it hit its stride as a pretty funny sitcom. I wouldn't say it's on the level of their film work, but it's a solid show.

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Spaced has a lot of SW in it, doesn't it?

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I couldn't give a damn what Obamie said. It was either him or an old man. I'm only surprised that's what an entire senate could candidate for their country. It was bad enough listening to the radio "hype" about it, but at least they made parodies. I'd care as much for my own politicians. Why should I care anyway? They're all the same. Different face, same liars.

The day was hot. That's all that concerned me.

9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    The reason I like American politics? It's a lot more fun in a black humour sense and it's so easy to get blasé about Australian politics. It's tremendous fun to watch them throw mud at each other, which is what will happen to Obama by the neo cons.

Just out of interest Ex, which way did you vote in 07? As we all HAVE to vote downunder.

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    I certainly didn't vote for her, but I think we're doing quite nicely with our first female PM. :)

11. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    ACTING PM, and she's not anymore. Harry Potter's back and that bra burning feminazi is what she should be, for now.

I didn't vote for Rudd, I saw what he was doing and was not fooled. [face_talk_hand]

12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Oh. Just when you think he's back, though, he seems to be off somewhere else.

And while Harry Potter is fair enough, I think that a better comparison is Mr. Sheen.

[image=http://www.freewebs.com/plebisonfl/Mr-Sheen-POS_sml.gif]

13. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I thought the first series was very good but a tiiiny bit inconsistent; the second series is fantastic, though. Get your hands on it asap if you enjoyed series 1.

14. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Mr Sheen is funny, but what about Hendo?

[image=http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1034561446028_2002/10/21/henderson.jpg]

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Obama is the man, but he won't be as cool as former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Cretien until he chokes a peace loving hippy that gets in his way:p

Oh, and talking out of the side of his mouth would help too......:)

16. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    It was a good speech. I didn't get to see it, so I read it afterwards. The little jabs at the previous administration could have been done without, of course, but overall it was a pretty good speech. Of course, I disagree with almost every stated policy intention of his, so that leaves me in an interesting spot. :p

School is back. It was weird: Tuesday was my last first day of class in college. If I'm ever back in school, it'll almost certainly be seminary, which is rather different by all accounts, so this is it...

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I wanted to vote for Rudd because I strongly disapprove of Howard's "workplace reform." He thinks he can get Aust to compete with China and India. But it doesn't work like that. It's true that employees cost bosses a fortune in leaves and overtimes, but basically if the boss doesn't like you, you've lost your job with no legal recourse.

But I saw an ABC interview where Rudd acted like a [face_clown]. Instead of answering the questions, he asked if someone else had better questions to put him, and he actually got up and started walking around the studio to find someone who could. The interviewer quickly called an end to it. Was this the prime minsiter I wanted to see?

Plus I saw him pick his ear in parliament and put his finger in his mouth, or something like that. [face_talk_hand]

I don't remember who I voted for. I think I voted for neither....

18. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    The thing about American politics is that only people who really care about what happens bother to vote; the problem inherent with that is that most of the people who care are either dumbass college students who will rally mindlessly behind any cause that goes against tradition or that their parents oppose, and retirees with nothing better to do than screw around with laws and try to control the way other people live. The end result of that is politicians trying to drum up some bold new cause to get the lemmings in a tizzy, while simultaneously trying to legislate every aspect of life that nosy old people harp about.

To paraphrase Dr. Horrible: America is a mess, and I just need to rule it.

19. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I'd vote for you Rebel, and here's hoping Obama can do somehting abou it.

20. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    Thank you for your support. My first acts as Dictator for Life will be to round up all activists and people sporting an emo fringe, and have them publicly burned alive. Activists because they're annoying ***** with nothing better to do than complain about what what productive people are doing, and emos because... well, it's rather obvious I think. Then I will begin a campaign of deforestation and increased pollution, just to spite environmentalists.

Wait, why is everyone leaving? You haven't even heard my "No Orphan Left Outside a Sweatshop" plan yet!

21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I just had a leadership challenge by a certain McCarthy also known as Sinrebirth ;)

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You'll all be up against the wall come the revolution!

[image=http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2007/02/wolfie_243x278.jpg]

Power to the people! Join the Tooting Popular Front!

23. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    I'm behind you 100%. Assuming, of course, that by "people" you mean a specific person who's name starts with "R" and ends with "ebelJoseWales."

24. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    *assassinates RebelJoseWales before he ever begins his meteoric rise to power*

25. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    No way, that shot came from the grassy knoll ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.