main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Action Figures discussionthread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Chansplace, Jul 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    Thought this would be a good idea for a topical thread (I just saw that the only thread to reach 100 posts recently is titled "women") here you can talk action figures until your mouth dries out.

Just some discussion points I'd like to make about the newest Wave of POTJ figures.

A) what does everyone think of the "expanded universe" Qui Gonn and Snowbi Wan? I personally like the jedi Training Qui Gonn, Cold weather obi wan looks a little bulky and cartoony. the pics on the package are funny too. I saw the darth Maul apprentice recently as well, not too flash.

B) Snobi Wans saber handle is plain silver (no black markings) is that intentional? is it like a special snow saber or something?

C) Auura sing is cool, but it would be nice if the other gun came out of it's holster.

D) I like the scaling of the figures, Chewie next to leia is much better proportionally.

2. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    It's a bit of a funny one the old Expanded Universe but I don't mind a little creativity as long as the figure looks cool. I haven't got mine yet, I have to wait until Jonny brings them down for Armageddon. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Maul as well.
    I agree the figures are getting very good as far as detail is going, I am impressed with some of the rcent additions and just hope they keep this up.

3. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    Good Topic

I love the fact that Hasbro has scaled the figures of Chewy and the princess more realistically

The new chewbacca is awesome, great height and size
    funny looking at the first new release of Chewy in 1995 and now what a change.

and also Luke he has somehow reduced a lot of muscle mass since the 1995 figures

Also how well does Jek fit into the x-wing?????

4. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    And the new Han actually looks like Han.

I recon the new EU ones r **** at least made Eu ones from books or something like that not concept drawings.

5. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    That helps
    remember the first princess

also a lot more of the minor characters are getting figures which is cool

6. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    They deliberately descaled Luke from the 95 ones to match the scrawney, wimp luke in the movies. The first Lukes are known as the "He-Man" Figures.

7. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    yeah more thought has gone in to some of their lastest offerings

8. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    Cant wait for the Leia with sail barge cannon looks more like Leia now.

9. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

I notice that they now use a more flexible plastic for the guns/accessories. I wonder why they changed??

10. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    Wish they would stop bringing out crapy rehashes of figs already made eg. choco cape obi

11. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    collectors vs profit the age old question

they usual make too many figures of the good guys and never enough of the badies
    Are we ever going to get the dirty scout trooper here???
    i say give us more minor characters
    some of the luke/vader/obi wan figures were they even neccessary
    think of the vader with the fabric cape

looks like with the new deluxe figures a bit more time has been spent trying to get a new concept for the main characters which is nice

as for the floppy guns i am not that thrilled with the new plastic they are using
    look at some of the original weapons good hunks of plastic no movement
    my Boba Fett 300th gun can nearly bend up to a right angle

12. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Minds still in the box, so I guess i'll never know :)

How many of us started collecting with the intention of making money in the long run?

<raises hand>

Not any more though, to me my figures are priceless and they will never be sold, there may come a time when they need to be stored but i'd rather not think about things like that. Besides they make so many figures the only way you'll ever really find a figure worth anything is with rare hiccups and variations.

13. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    The Aurra Sing sniper-type gun is REALLY flexible.

I've never collected to make money - in fact I've never sold/traded any Star Wars stuff, just bought it. And that's in about 20+ years of collecting. :)

14. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    collect for the pleasure of having them

i choose to open the figures and display them proudly

have a supportive partner so don't think they will have to go into storage

The money does cross my mind every so often but it is hard to put a price on the enjoyment factor of Star Wars

Every one collects for different reasons and different goals, personally i am not a huge fan of the EU series and only have limited figures from TPM
    At present i find the best thing is collecting the original and new figures and seeing the differences

15. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    The new plastic for the accessorys sucks.
    My Bespin Han his gun does not stay in his hand no more due to warping and the little hand cuffs are screwed even thought in the first place i couldnt get them on.

I havent started collecting hard core till now due to the fact of me getting a job and I just get what eva I can also the fact that I play 3 different TCG takes some funds away.

I take mine out of the packed because I recon they cool to make little battle scenes and stuff with and play with. only have one room to put stuff in. I am running out of space help.

16. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Yeah who are the openers and who are the closers? I am an opener, only have a few on cards and thst's because they either a double or variation. I keep all my 12" figures in their box (I don't have many) because they just look better that way.

17. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    I only very seldom open a figure (which is strange cos i love playing with them) normally only open them if I get doubles. They just look so nice all displayed on card (those who have seen my ceiling will agree)
    the investment thing was'nt an issue when I started collecting, now that I know what some stuff is worth I kinda think about it, but like some of you I would probably never sell them. Especially my vintage set, which I spent so much time and effort to get.

Back to accessories: why does the new leia have 2 stormtrooper blasters, and why are they grey? Sandtrooper one is black.

18. RogueJedi

RogueJedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2001
    I open all of mine, couldnt stand just sitin there lookin @ them all lonely in their boxes!

anyway, is it just me, or does the Droideka rock!.. i dont know why, its just a great fig, good paint and articulation

anyway, i crave EU figs, adds more story and all, be cool to have things like Jedi Missions, kinda like Snowbi-Wan *that cracks me up!* with the whole council.

I luv articulation - just like 2 point that out

Sharrad Hett - Now that would be a great Fig!!!!!!

19. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    I like the figs with bendy knees u put a Darth Maul cape on them and now there matrix/SW figs real cool.

20. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    hehehe matrix/SW...
    I like the articulation too, but the new scout trooper isnt really well articulated.
    I like the blaster in the holster idea tho.

21. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    Holster great idea

do you think other figures should have the same? Aurra Sing has holster

Just got my new POTJ Sandtrooper
    They have reduced the size of the gun and it is made from the cheaper plastic

bummer,the gun is tiny
    what's going on?????

22. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    I thought there was something wrong there as well, but you will find that if you look at most reference photos, the new sandtrooper blaster is more "true to scale". (ie DK's Visual Dictionary p35) there are other sources that suggest the blaster is bigger,
    like the Lego stormtrooper gun LOL.

23. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    scale vs consistency by the looks

does look a bit funny next to the others thou

really like the new colourings on it

24. Drew

Drew Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 1998
    I have yet to see the new figures, but there are so many new ones that it's easy to get "swamped" by everything that is coming out. It is clearly business minds that are out to "milk" the SW fan base, but I'm still looking forward, if ever, to the new EU figures to come out. I personally hope they come out with some other figures from the comics, books, games, etc. that appear in the SW content after ROTJ. Like a Talon Kaarde figure or a Errant Venture vehicle?

What figures/vehicles would you like to see that feature in the EU books, comics, etc.? :D

25. rhysati_ynr

rhysati_ynr Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2000
    I open some of my figures but the amidala colletors ones i keep in their box cause they just look better but i have qui and obi out of their box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.