main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index **Adult theme ahead*** The SSR Fan fic index/challenge thread.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SSRfanficIndex, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSRfanficIndex

SSRfanficIndex Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2008
    Do we have any more replies to the challange? Was it too difficult? Too easy?

You do know that a story doesn't have to revolve around a character's sexuality to be included in the index don't you?

Well that all being said, I ahve a two part question for you.

1) Tell us about a story you've read that features an SSR, and why you liked it.

2) Were you orginally 'squicked out' by the very idea of a SSR in fan fic? What changed your mind?

I'll reply tommorow under my non sock name.

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've just been too busy to come up with anything at all. I'll do something for the next challenge though. :)

1. I'm not sure I can think of a specific example right now, but mostly when I write SSRs they have little to do with sex and more to do with the relationship, the way the characters interact with each other.

2. I started writing fanfic before I started reading it, and one of my first fanfics was SSR based. Being bi it just seemed natural to me. I'm not sure about writing SSRs with straight characters though, like Han/Luke, that doesn't seem quite right, but if they're OCs or gay in canon then it's fine.

I have a question. If I finally get around to redoing some fanfic, who could I PM it to to see if it's OK for posting? With the end of the academic year coming up and this thread being here I might just finish it (again).

3. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    1) The first SSR fic that I remember really enjoying was "The Broken Gear" by oqidaun (which I'm glad to see is indexed here). I think the reason I liked it so much was because it wasn't about screaming "Hey, look, SSR!" at the reader. It was a story about people - whole, developed people and the relationships between them.

2) I'm not so much squicked out by the concept of SSR in fic as I am just utterly sick of seeing it done badly. And to be honest, I don't find over-the-top pointless sex between hetero couples any easier to take. For me to want to read a story, it has to be a story, not just ridiculous and/or graphic romping in the bedroom between characters, regardless of their gender, species, or sexual persuasion.

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    PM the sock MM! We'd love to look it over and hopefully be able to index it!

The first SSR fic (that wasn't PWP) that I read and still have marked as a favorite over at Fanfiction.net (under the same handle I use here) is still one of my all time favorites.

Because it violates this boards rules, I can't link it, but the title is "Rewoven" by JediRita - and at first I was 'squicked out' by the pairing (cannon/cannon, Obi/Bail Organa) but then I started reading...

A passage (TOS safe) - Anakin has recently been made Obi-Wan's Padawan, and they are spending some time on Alderaan...

*NOTE There is NOTHING sexual about this passage...*

?Anakin.?

A soft voice, gentle hands, pulling away the blankets that had tangled around his body. ?Mom?? he called, whimpering.

A pulse of sadness in the shadows, sympathy, kindness. Not his mother. Someone who was sorry not to be his mother. The hands eased him up, broad palms cupping his thin shoulders. ?You were dreaming, Anakin.? Not the cruel voice. Quiet, elegant, sad.

?I promise?I promise I will train you?you will be a Jedi, I promise?.

?Obi-Wan?? Anakin looked up at the pale face above him. Not the face he wanted to see, but then he wasn?t the face Obi-Wan wanted to see, either, was he? They were both alone. Alone together.

?You?re all right, Anakin. You were dreaming.? A strong arm against his back, one hand stroking his hair, heavy, firm, comforting. All his uncertainty about Obi-Wan evaporated in the aftermath of the terrible dream, and he reached out to Obi-Wan with the desperation of a child in need of reassurance. He burrowed his face into Obi-Wan?s warm chest, felt the Jedi?s arms wrap around him, holding him the way he had in the meditation yesterday. Some of that peace returned to him now, soothing his fears, calming him.

A long silence. The darkness was not so frightening now. It hid the things he did not want to see.

?Do you remember what you dreamed?? Obi-Wan?s voice was low, and Anakin felt rather than heard the words, echoing in his skull through Obi-Wan?s chest. He shook his head, rubbing his face against Obi-Wan?s nightshirt, smelling the musky scent of sleep on his clothes. The images of the dream faded away as quickly as they had arisen, replaced by the sensations of Obi-Wan, a soft voice, strong hands, a warm scent.

The plea from yesterday?s meditation came back to him. Please let him like me. Had he said it aloud? Or had Obi-Wan? But the silence continued, Obi-Wan rubbing soothing circles on his back, rocking him slightly. No one had said anything. But maybe this was the answer to that prayer, for him or for Obi-Wan he did not know. It didn?t really matter.

?I promise?I will come back for you?I promise?.

Sleep crept over Anakin once more as he floated in Obi-Wan?s arms, but then the cocoon split around him. He felt Obi-Wan pulling away, the cold seeping in once more. ?No,? he moaned, opening his eyes. ?Don?t leave. Stay with me.?

Another silence, hesitant, uncertain.

?oh, please, let him like me?

Then the mattress dipped next to him beneath Obi-Wan?s weight. The covers slid free, settling over them both, and Anakin was gathered once more into Obi-Wan?s arms. He snuggled against the large, comforting body, his fingers curling into the neckline of Obi-Wan?s nightshirt, so that even as he drifted in sleep he would be moored.

?Good night.?

Had he said it? Or had Obi-Wan? It didn?t matter. The dreams would not come again.

That is what mattered.

See this? This amazing, beautiful passage would have escaped me if I had allowed my prejudices to dictate what I thought would make a good story.

The rest of the story is handled with equal care, lovingly portrayed charact

5. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    My OCs seem all to be boringly straigth so far... :rolleyes: Sorry.

Knights and Eros Bound by my friend DarthBreezy was a story that surprised me very nicely (but I barely knew her by then!). When I reached the climax of it I was all like 'But of course! It's more than logical that Force-sensitives would be aware of those kind of feelings too!'

Not really. What squickes me out are PWPs and farfetched pseudo-relationships between characters.

Can I bend the rules a little? Because while thinking of an answer for this questions I remebered a movie from quite a few years ago that was probably one of my 'first encounters' with SSR stories... It's called Kiss of the Spiderwoman (Brazil/USA, 1985) and it portraits one of the most moving SSR I've ever seen. Has anybody seen it?

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    1) Tell us about a story you've read that features an SSR, and why you liked it.
    I've read tons of SSR fics I've loved and I don't think I could point out just one, but what I look for and like about SSR fics are the same things I like about non-SSR fics: good characters/characterization and a good plot. (Though I will admit I do love love some PWP now and then [face_blush])

2) Were you originally 'squicked out' by the very idea of a SSR in fan fic? What changed your mind?
    At first I was 'squicked out' at fics that took cannon characters and put them in 'slash' relationships (and I mean slash in the original sense of the term), but then I read a Luke/Wedge story (admittedly by accident) that took place during the rebellion and loved it, so I can even get into that sometimes as long as it makes sense. But as far as SSRs in general, no I've never been squicked by it. It just the same as non-SSR fics, I see them no differently.

Edit: I really enjoyed that passage, Breezy! I'll have to go check that fic out!

7. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Are you looking for completed stories or is a WIP okay?

8. SSRfanficIndex

May 13, 2008
    WIP's are fine as well - just remember to stay within the limits (as we will not index stories that violate the TOS) and that a story doesn't nessisarily have to revolve around the OC's to be indexed.

That means Han, Luke et all can (and ofter are) featured in a story too.

9. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    For those of us who haven't been following the Awards (or not following all the eras) it may interest you to know that this year a story dealing with a same-sex relationship took home the Before the Saga award for Best Romance.

The story in question was Spindrift kindly indexed in this thread back in May.

It strikes me as something of a milestone that, under the current TOS, the fanfiction community can publicly recognise, in our own small way, a same-sex romance as exactly that. Here's to many more.

(Post made by kindly permission of Breezy and the mods)

10. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I have been reading this topic a little... glad to know it exists.

In canon... I really haven't yet, since my reading time has dropped a lot lately. But I'd like to read some to see how it's written.

2) Were you orginally 'squicked out' by the very idea of a SSR in fan fic? What changed your mind?
    I've never really had a problem with it, honestly- throughout my life I've never seen SSR as different or weird. In some fandoms it seems to fit better than others- both slash and OC, it depends on the fandom. In some, it makes perfect sense, and in others it just doesn't feel right.

I would like to write for a future SSR challenge, since I need to get back into writing and I'd love to try it. I have a hard time with any kind of romance, SSR or not, since my love life isn't working at all... (bad excuse). Some of the SSR that I have stored away here and there, I'd like to revisit. Writing SSR seems normal to me since I'm bi and I want to write about the kinds of relationships I want, but getting it going without PWP, violating the TOS, or becoming my own worst critic is the tough part.

11. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    One would think this place would have more activity.

As is, have thought to throw my own two bits in, as a slash writer outside boards, or as you will it, an SSR writer.

My favorite will always be the one that got me into it. It wasn't SW, but rather a Final Fantasy fic. The characters were intense, being two former, insane villians, and the situation they were trapped in, namely a prison after death, led to some intresting story telling. What I always adored about it was how the writer made it all so natural and so flowing. A real heart stopper in truth.

Actually yes. Orginally I couldn't stand it, hated the thought and avoided it all like the plague. But then I stumbled on that story, and it turned me around somehow. My thoughts changed from one side of the issue to the other, that it can be really beautiful stuff if done right, just like any other work of art.

On the side note, have nothing of mine to offer, sadly. Maybe on a later date. On the issue of 'labling' perhaps it's not because of that as there are those that do not want focus paid to a tiny part of a very large and complex fic. Just a thought.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm thinking we should have a challenge somewhen soon. :)

13. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Anyone is openly invited to come up with a challenge, or submit a story at anytime - I DO ask that you PM myself or Moosemouse and not only the sock, as I don't logg into it regularly.

thanks!:D

14. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    :eek: Where have I been? How could I hve missed this thread? [face_blush] EEP!

I?d like to jump in as a proud slash/SSR writer outside of boards and someone who would like to try to write SSR on the boards within, of course, the bounds of the TOS. (I do have respect for the rules :)p)

This is a lot like the ?why do like slash?? question. I don?t have a particular favorite slash fic though I do have a handful of wonderful fics that I love to death by an amazing writer under the penname of XtinePirate on ff.net (I?ll link anyone who wants to be linked by PM). On the boards I absolutely love Spindrift by JediNemesis.
    I like an SSR fic for the same reasons I like any other fic ? characterization, plot-line, diction, etc.

I never had a big problem with it. I just saw it is any other fic that featured a couple that I didn?t like or care about. I was 14 a at the time and had little experience with ?gay stuff.? It wasn?t like ?eww gross how can you people write this? it was kind of like ?eh, I don?t see them together.? I think the problem was that the fics that I ran into made me feel kind of uncomfortable because they stressed, in explicit detail, the intimate aspect of the relationship (and I was never a huge fan of PWPs, whether gay or straight). Then I ran into this amazing Obi/Ani fic written by the author written above and she just made the paring click for me. I thin I?ve matured a LOT in the past few years and that made its mark too. Slash is something I revel in now, as long as I?m enjoying the story and liking the couple (No diff from any other fic).

On another topic, can someone enlighten me a little here, please? The TOS have me a little confused?. How far is too far for an SSR on these boards? Specifically:
    Are ?I love you?s ok?
    Is an inner monologue of a male character admitting to having feelings for another male character ok?
    Is holding hands ok?
    Casual kisses?

15. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Ahhhh, there in lies the rub - alluded to is the catch phrase here, and thus we walk the fine line between "don't ask don't tell" and "We're here, we're 'different' get used to it!". I'm not being deliberately obtuse here, but we are walking that fine line which is a mile wide. Best bet is, if in doubt, drop ME a PM at my regular user name, and I'll have to nosey through it.

16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Excellent reply, as I think allusions can make a story all the more entertaining/readable. But boy, that line is fine and I'm at a loss at how to make a lime out of a lemon kind of story. 'All a dream'? The old 'oh, this planet is so cold so let's share body heat[face_good_luck] ' type? I'd love to try one, but the old brain is not working on all metaphors here.

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    First person works really well for allusion. This fic could be either an SSR fic or could be a 'het' fic, it's all up to how the read interprets it as it's not said or hinted at either way.

18. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    :cool:Thanks for the link and I liked your setup with few words; it was an iconic scene. OCs mean, I guess, completely original and not anyone from the Dark Horse comics? Have been thinking of Dass Jennir, lately, since Dark Times hiatus'd.:_|

EAD: Just reread the terms and yes, pronker, anyone from the official EU is off limits.

19. SSRfanficIndex

May 13, 2008
    Unlocked and bumped by request! :)

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Thanks. [:D]

I'll get onto sorting out my fics for the index now. :)

Edit: done and PMed.

21. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    I think we need some sort of challenge to bet the brain juice flowing in here again[face_thinking]

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ooh, yes! A challenge! I like the sound of that. :D

23. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Hmm, a challenge... [face_thinking]

Since we're bound by the TOS to use OCs unless the relationship is canon (and there aren't many there), I say we should get a roulette going of our own OCs.

To enter your OC, submit their name, plus a brief description (physical, profession, personality, etc), plus a short excerpt featuring them from one of your fics. That way we all get a good feel for the character.

The challenge? Select (either by request or randomly) someone else's OC to pair with one of your own, and write a short fic!

What do you guys think?

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I like the idea, but I'm going to be really picky, sorry. While I do have gay characters, I don't have a description for most of them, and I don't know enough to give a brief background for them either. You'd also have to do two roulettes, one for men and one for women, maybe a third for bi characters. I don't think we'd have enough characters to do it, tbh. I like it, I do, but I don't think it'd work well.

Also, I don't think we can do canon characters at all, even if they are gey in canon.

25. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Yea...I don't think canon is aloowed at all ther ( :( :mad: [face_frustrated] )

ButI like the idea! I mean, as long as we put out maybe several characters there should be at least a small pool to draw from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.