main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga After Vader & Palps, who is the third biggest villain?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Dartht Punk, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    Just thinking about this....who was the next major villain of the saga after these two?

Dath Maul - dedicated and ruthless Sith lord, killed Qui-Gon Jinn.

Count Dooku, leader of the separatists and most active agent in the Clone Wars, defeated Obi-Wan and Anakin and held his own against Yoda.

Grand Moff Tarkin - Commander of the original Death Star and destroyed Alderaan, and if I'm not mistaken, superior to Vader in the chain of command.

Jabba the Hutt, the galaxy's biggest and most feared crime lord and who laughs at Jedi.

Obi-Wan21 and Messi like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If we count the TCW movie, Dooku's been in 3 movies and played an important role in all.

I'd say Dooku.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yeah dooku.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Of course - if you count the TCW movie, Jabba's been in four movies. Still, only in ROTJ does he really play the "villain" role.

Boba's less of a villain - but he may be more iconic.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    boo.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'd say Tarkin. I've always considered Dooku to be something of a pawn.

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Darth Maul has become one of the most popular faces of the Saga, but he was only really an assassin. Considering film appearances, and setting up the stage for the Empire, I'd say Dooku takes the spot

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Are we talking about mainstream or in-universe? If the former, then it's Darth Maul.

They are all pawns to Palpatine/Sidious, one way or another.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and mes520 like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Jabba.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  11. Dartht Punk

Jul 17, 2014
    Either really.

Maul certainly is the most popular apart from Vader.

12. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm surprised Viceroy Gunray wasn't on the list. Besides Palpatine, he's the only other baddie in all three prequels.

As for Dooku, I don't see him as a bad guy. He's misguided, but trying to save the Republic and do the right thing.

I'm undecided on Tarkin. I don't feel I know enough about him. Maybe I'll have a better opinion of him after his upcoming novel.

So I'd say either Maul or Jabba. I'll go with Maul. He goes out and does things. Jabba sits around and pays others to do his bidding.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Gen Rendar like this.
  13. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    It's Tarkin. Guy blew up an entire planet.

14. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Darth Tyranus

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    After 10 years as Darth Tyranus, I think Palpatine will have ground most of the idealism out of him.

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    First of all, I will say that I don't believe Vader is a villain. He's just a poor fool who got too wrapped up in trying the change things beyond his control.

Now, as for biggest supporting villain....

Gunray was simply greedy. That's pretty bad from the get-go, considering what he did to achieve his goals. He seems to follow a very.... Machiavelli style principle, seemingly remorseless about his actions which led to the enslavement of the people of Naboo and the near genocide of the Gungans.

Maul was simply savage, brutal. I know nothing of TCW nor do I really care. As far as I'm concerned, Maul is dead. He didn't really have much development aside from appearing evil, inspired by biblical depictions of demons/Satan. Well done in my opinion, but we really don't know enough about him.

Dooku was really a political idealist, though he, like Gunray, followed the idea of the ends justifying the means. By all means, he was nowhere near as ruthlessly vicious as Maul, and instead acted through skill as opposed to brute force. For that reason, I'd place him above Maul on the "evil scale"

Jango really isn't good or evil, just a hired gun willing to do his job for credits. And at that, a caring father.

Grievous has the viciousness of Maul, yet some of the tact of Dooku, though not nearly to the same degree. It seems he's just out to make other people suffer. He was quite cowardly though. Fair rating on the "evil scale"

Boba is really just like his father. Neither good nor evil.

Tarkin.... now he is one tough cookie to understand. I can't bring myself to see him as evil. He just isn't. It's difficult to explain.

Jabba was certainly evil. Extortion, slavery, smuggling, etc. All that being a crime lord entails. It seems that he really doesn't care how much people suffer, as long as he gets what he wants, whatever that may be. He is VERY similar to Gunray as a result, though his conquest was not galaxy wide.

As a result of my analyses, I'm going to say that Nute Gunray is the most evil of the supporting villains

17. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

Is Asajj out of bounds for this thread? If not... :p

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Jules Winfield's wallet (only in black) wouldn't be out of place being carried by this character!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I'd say Tarkin. He may not have as much "screen time" as other villains, but in the sense of being "pure evil" this guy has to take the prize. He ordered the destruction of Alderaan as casually as one might order a drink. In that one moment, he killed more people than anyone else in the entire saga. I doubt he would've lost a wink of sleep over it, either.

And Peter Cushing did a great job with him, too. Totally memorable villain.

20. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I like the fact that as far as we know he hasn't been seduced by the Sith or had some kind of terrible event which has corrupted him. He really is just a complete and utter b*****d! :p

21. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    If Tarkin had more of an impact beyond A New Hope, I'd say him; he was the secondary villain to Darth Vader in that movie... some might even argue he was above Vader. Tarkin was actually the only one of the group who could turn overthrow the Emperor, if it came to that IMO. He had a planet killing machine at his disposal; Maul and Dooku preferred direct combat with their powerful Force adversaries (Maul was beaten, and we can assume the outcome with Dooku).

22. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    The radio drama indicates that Tarkin was, unlike Vader, prepared to bypass the Emperor when making decisions. That's got to be worth some badass points.

23. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I would like to say Tarkin but as he was only present for one film I can't bring myself to do so.

Count Dooku is certainly a villain but not in the purely malevolent way of Sidious or the imposing way of Vader. He strikes me as a sort of Gentleman Sith - if there is such a thing. :p

Maul is a savage beast but he's not really a huge villain in my book. In one of the Thrawn books, Thrawn is talking to Pellaeon about Joruus C'Boath. He says that C'Boath can never really challenge them because C'Baoth is a flailing fighter, not a true warrior. Now granted, Maul and C'Baoth are not comparable characters and I was taking Thrawn out of context but the core of his message struck a chord with me. If you left Maul to his own devices, he would never be able to take over the galaxy because he's not a think or a planner or a mastermind.

Jabba is a criminal and a villain but he doesn't even come close to the Emperor, or to Luke Skywalker for that matter.

So I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that there isn't a true third villain - at least, not in the movies. There's the Emperor, there's Vader, there's Tarkin who would have been the third villain had he lived longer and there's a crowd of lesser villains far far below those characters.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If we count the TCW movie - maybe Ventress might qualify as an interesting secondary villain? Although not up to Dooku.

25. Dartht Punk

Jul 17, 2014
    I love Ventress, but did she actually accomplish very much?

Cad Bane had a much higher success rate.