main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Who they have had the plane only a few days and are already destroying it. :p

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    They probably heard that it had too many engines or something.

Souderwan, Ender Sai, RC-1991 and 2 others like this.
  4. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I thought the premiere was really good but not quite great. Nice to see a lot of references to the rest of the Marvel Universe. Characters are OK but didn't really fall in love with any of them except for Coulson(who I already liked from the movies).

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I can't believe I missed it. I thought it was on tomorrow not last night. Wa wa.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Just saw it. Pretty good. Not ground-breaking, but really promising.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I agree. It seems promising, but it seemed like it needed something....

8. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Interesting. I might be inclined to agree, even factoring in that Arrow has an entire season under its belt, and this just has the pilot. I've seen every Arrow episode as well, and I don't know how I feel about a comparison.

Arrow is a fantastic bookend series. The first episodes in the season were awesome. The last episodes in the season were awesome. But it took tremendous effort to sit through the middle episodes which settled into a nice, formulaic grind. (and I was really looking forward to the Huntress, but ended up being really annoyed with the character) Arrow excels during the flashbacks, when Oliver is alone on the island, but of course that can't be the focus. Manu Bennett (Crixis from Spartacus) was the perfect addition. Arrow was a pleasant surprise, given that it is on the CW network and I had low expectations.

AoS certainly had a more deliberate pilot, but as others have said, it met all my expectations, even if the pilot didn't exceed them. But AoS was hyped so much more, this isn't a bad thing. Since the universe is larger, AoS obviously has so much more potential. And it promises to deliver on that potential. If nothing else, AoS perfectly represented solid silver-era Marvel comics in the modern Avengers movie world. The fact that Stan Lee, Joe Quesada, and Jeph Loeb were listed as producers seemed to have much more of an impact on the feel of the show than Joss Whedon being the director did. In other words, it was less Buffy and Firefly and more "Sorkin-esque."

Penguinator likes this.
  9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    VadersLaMent Their is a encore on Thursday so you can catch that.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Except no they didn't.

ma_petite likes this.
  11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    QFT

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Jeph Loeb and Joe Quesada having a greater impact on the show than Whedon is actually very distressing.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ratings for Premiere are in.

The series premiere episode of "Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D." at 8pm on ABC pulled in 11.9 million live viewers and a 4.6 rating in the key adults 18-49 demographic.
    That makes it TV's highest-rated series premiere in the 18-49 demographic in almost four years, the biggest since the debut of ABC's "V" remake in 2009.

Future Marvel characters in SHIELD and the structure of the show

In regards to mixing stand alone episodic cases with season-long serialised storylines:
    Whedon: This isn’t about the case of the week. It’s about our people being the case of the week and we’re going to take them on adventures and have cool gadgets. We’re going to have monsters of the week and challenges, but we think it’s about our people more than the case, solving the mystery and the clue.
    Tancharoen: The cases will have a beginning, middle and end, but we are focused on the serialized nature of our characters and there will be mythology woven throughout the season with little bits and pieces.
    Whedon: There’s a spy aspect of the show and SHIELD is some of the most sci-fi in the Marvel universe because it’s about gadgets. So we have a lot of different things to play with. It will be a mixture of both. We will be focusing on having every story having a beginning, middle and end, but some of it will be mythology and some of it will standalone. And our character runs will continue through all of that.

The most interesting quote of the whole article is Whedon's response when asked what characters from Marvel's shared live-action universe they are allowed to use in the series:
    "There’s a database that’s tailored to our show with the properties we can use as well as the properties that are owned by other studios and things that are flagged for major franchises.
    There are certain areas we can’t go because we don’t want to step on the toes of the movies.
    We’ve had free reign. There are certain rules in terms of the Marvel brand. Marvel is very focused on being grounded – and it is our world with the one twist that they’re superheroes. There’s no Metropolis, there’s no Gotham. It’s New York City and Chicago, and in the cinematic universe the process of powers is pretty young.
    They say it’s only been a couple years since Iron Man in terms of our timeline in the universe. So the idea in our world that powers exist is new to the population and SHIELD’s job description. It used to be keeping those things secret and that has now changed, so we’re dealing with some of that."

Then of course there's the talk of feature film crossover elements, from character appearances to storylines that weave around the films:
    Tancharoen: We’re open to those opportunities, but we just don’t want to set that precedent. We don’t want that to be an expectation that somebody is always going to show up. We want our show to exist on our own. But the opportunity for synergy is always welcome.
    Whedon: We’re in contact with the features people, and we’re hoping to tie in with storylines since we have stuff in their films and play with the fallout of their films. But we are focused on establishing ourselves as our own franchise and getting people to fall in love with our characters instead of just wondering when Iron Man is going to fly in.

The full interview article can be found here. Interestingly, the "can't use the word 'mutant'" rule is in effect for the TV series as well.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  14. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Well, I don't know that for sure of course, as in an actual comparison of percent of involvement.

The show just felt more like their input than Whedon. I'd say that Quesada is the greatest steward of Marvel lore than well, Stan Lee himself. I think that's it. The premiere was more like Heroes style (well, at least the first seasons of Heroes) than any of Whedon's productions. Maybe this is a sign of Whedon's success with the show itself. From the beginning, AoS was supposed to be the "underbelly" of the Avengers movie universe, which this 1st episode certainly was. So the style from the movie Avengers was vastly different that the show itself. Which is not a knock on Whedon. But Whedon is much, much better at taking his own worlds and running with them.

The show was filled with Silver Age references from the flying car, to referencing Journey Into Mystery, to all sorts of things. This premiere was just about a direct translation of the style of old "Marvel Team Up" or "Marvel Two in One" series, just broadcast instead of printed. This aspect is what I'm referring to as "Quesada's influence." I think it's a good thing.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    When I think of Quesada and Loeb's influence, I think of Spidey's marriage to MJ being killed brutally, the weirder parts of House of M, and the godawful Ultimatum - if they're really just ensuring it feels like a Marvel show, that's fine.

16. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Well, I'll give you that. In fact, I think I blocked Ultimatum out of my mind so completely, I forgot Loeb was involved in it. Thanks, now I'm flooded with memories of Angel being eaten by Sabretooth... :(

But yeah, after reading Whedon's comments in the link 2ndQ just provided, I think it's just a matter of Marvel taking giant steps to ensure that the show does have a Marvel-esque feeling to it. And it seems like Whedon is fine, and downright excited, to work within those rules. So it's win-win.

Penguinator likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It also should be noted that the interview is actually with Jed Whedon, not Joss- while I would assume Jed's approach would be very close to Joss's, the show having that slightly different feel might also be attributed to that.

Penguinator likes this.
  18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Anyone else notice that the "Heroes of New York" toys in the opening pretty clearly have Classic Hawkeye and not Movie Hawkeye? Also, the father just explained to his kid the economic downturn caused his unemployment. That felt a little odd.

19. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Ah, good point.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think in terms of crossover, there might be a reference at the end of the season, regarding the Winter Soldier showing up. And if there is a season two, there would be fallout from that. In terms of the show in the films, I'd wager that Coulson's survival will come out and Cap and Tony wouldn't be happy about that.

Uh, they did. He was dead for a few seconds, was brought back around and then Fury and Maria lied. What more needs to be said?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You clearly missed that "Tahiti" isn't what it seems and that he doesn't remember what actually has happened to him.

22. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    It would awesome if the season finale was a lead in into Cap 2 and characters from the show even showing up in the movie.

23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I think it's pretty likely they can have TV characters show up in the movies, but the other way around would probably cost a bit much.

24. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I would truly love cameos from characters in this show to show up in the movies.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    LMD?