main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Alcohol...someone fill me in.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Symmbian, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Symmbian

Symmbian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2004
    Some weeks ago a friend said to me as a joke I should write a book. After I collected myself from the floor, and wiped tears of laughter from my eyes, I asked this person the obvious, why? She retorted something about how I have a demonic and dry humor. Anyway afterwards I thought to myself, why can?t I write a book? I?ve suffered socially for a long time, why can?t I poke fun at myself, and others whom are supposed to know better. Then make a killing from it.

Anyways, I have dealt with so far, lactose intolerant milk; what?s in the carton? Parents; why "they didn?t know any better" isn?t a valid excuse anymore! New Age Philosophy; Emptying your wallet into someone else?s bank account in three easy steps! Dr Phil; How many damaged relationship shows are you going to aire before you aire one on how to pick the right partner to begin with!

To cut the story short my next salvo is, Alcohol; Inhibition Zero (a reference to coke zero).

My problem is, I don?t get it. Over the weekend I attended my cousin?s birthday party. You get the obligatory idiot peer pressure to drink and finally instead of refusing, I gave in. Tequila Slammers no less. Right, 6 in a row later I?m still standing and thinking to myself ?Gee wiz wasn?t that fun!?

Even as I write this now and thinking back to listening to my cousin puking in his backyard, I just don?t get it. If you want to dishevle inhibition, why not set up a website where you juggle bowling pins naked and charge money for people to watch? Why drink sugary convoluted drinks until your stomach cant take it anymore, and then vent the contents through involuntary spasms that leave your breath smelling like the refuse site.

Help me out here, this is the one thing I have never found really has any sense to it. ?Cept when you see rev heads drunk and they try to over exaggerate the motion of planting the accelerator to the firewall of a car, and make stupid noises that are supposed to be engines racing, or trying to make the sound of a car tyre spinning on any given paved surface.

That?s funny, in fact its worth being sober just to hear stuff like it.

Symmbian

2. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    I'm right with you.

I just can't stand people who get drunk at every chance, and all they talk/joke about is getting drunk and drinking stories....

Ughhh. Moronic. It makes you sound like a 17 year old who is overexcited by it!

I will have a few drinks with work mates (not beer, it's like drinking a blendered orange peel) but I don't aim to puke or put a lampshade on my head.

And looking down at anyone who isn't doing what they're doing like we have something wrong with us!

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Can you believe I've actually stopped drinking?
    I don't even remember the last time I had a drop of alcohol (minus the one HALF pint of Guinness I had a week ago to celebrate my girlfriend coming home).

Ahwell, twas not like I was a spewey drunk that lost all motorskills and the use of the english language. More like the happy drunk* who enjoys telling tall tales with other happy drunks.

To each their own ofcourse. I use to really enjoy a good few drinks with my best of mates. Relax. Talk crap...but most importantly...enjoy a very fine drop. People who drink but DON'T enjoy what they're drinking are just stupid. If I didn't actually enjoy the fine taste of the things I drink, then I'd stick with water. We go to the pubs to enjoy the taste and smell. Heck, we don't order anything untill we KNOW a certain bar tender (best mate) is going to be pouring for us. That's how picky we are for our drinks. We must have the best...it's not about racing to get pissed first. It's about enjoy as much of a great drink as we can untill we've had enough. Then it's time to go home.
    But ofcourse, I hate people that don't accept non drinkers. Should be the other way around really....heavy drinkers should be the outcasts.

Not to be confused with drunk in the way most people take it. Drunk to me is the point at which alcohol starts relaxing the body. With most people this starts before finishing the first drink.

4. sithmastersimon

sithmastersimon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Symmbian, I understand where you're coming from however I'm sorry to say I can't share your view on the topic. You see I personally do enjoy the occasional beverage....ok replace occasional with often....and put an 's' at the end of beverage and you have my point. No I don't enjoy being drunk nor do I actually get drunk often, I actually have a rather heavy tolerance to alcohol and I'm not even a big bloke.

Anyway my point is that drinking for me is a great way to ease the pain of a long hard day at work, I love the way I can go home, pour a few glasses of brandy or jacks or beam depending on my mood, and just let my mind relax. I can almost hear myself giving an introductino and a back story at a future AA meeting, but for now its all fun and games :) No I'm not a sad lonely and depressed person, I also drink socially, and no I haven't recently emptied my lunch all over someones rose garden after a fun filled evening. It's just that for me, drinking is a part of my everyday life, now that may not be a bad thing....it may not be a good thing, but this is for certain -

Have I lost my job? NO
    Have I been violent with anyone? NO
    Do I wake up with hangovers?
    Am I unsocial? NO
    Do I drink and drive? NO
    Do I have a good time? YES

Is my liver damaged? ummmm probably hehe

so as you can see my point right there was kind of ruined, but trust me, I still back my lifestyle 100%

PS - Although I do drink often, the last time I was actually drunk and acted foolish was so long ago I can't even remember....quite proud of myself :)

Anyway Symmbian I hope this helps you in some way with writing your book, it's a very different take on someone who likes their drink

5. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I dont drink, and yes I'm a sad lonely and depressed person.

Several reasons why I dont drink.
    1) My first major drinking experience (not my first time being drunk), I kind of blacked out and puked a lot (thanks guys that cleaned it up for me! True mates). Now even the smell of spirits makes me feel sick. I can drink beer, but I'd rather have a coke tbh. I could probably drink spirits, but I dont need that expense and it holds no interest for me.
    2) I'll drink beer socially if it's 'what the lads' are doing, but I dont drink to impress.
    3) I dont need to alter my perspective on an evening to enjoy myself. Some people do this, get tipsy, not full-blown drunk. I just dont see the point and dont like how it feels at that stage of drunken'ness.
    4) I've seen others drunk, sure its fun for them. But I dont like the idea of being a *ahem*-head in front of people I would like respect from.
    5) It's (from what I've been told) an expensive hobby with ramifications later in life, even if you dont drink-'till you-puke. I'd rather save my money for something usefull.

But the most important point is its upto the invidividual. Like to drink? Great! Go for it. The above is only my reasons I dont. Not why I think others shouldnt.

6. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not an alcoholic beverage drinker either. Although from my posts in the pub, you'd be forgiven if you thought I was an alcohlic.

I like the odd glass of wine here or there, but bring on the soft drinks.

7. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Each to their own I say.

I make a point of catching up with my best mates over a few drinks whenever I get in to Perth, and once I feel the drink kicking in I slow it down or stop drinking.

These days we go out for a few drinks (at someone else's expense) and a few laughs (usually at my expense) due to the fact that I prefer vodka based drinks. My friends find it highly amusing to order me a drink that comes in the tallest glass they can find and have it topped of with a long straw.

But it's all in good fun.

8. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I've never been a drinker and never seen the attraction. Generally if I'm at a party and my friends are getting blotto, I can't wait to leave. When the drinks start flowing, those people who are usually my friends temporarily cease being people I like to be around.

9. sithmastersimon

sithmastersimon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Yes I do see what you mean, I hate being around drunken people as well, hence the reason I see myself as somewhat a classy dignified drinker who will stop at a certain point, although for me its quite a few drinks since certain beverages don't have a great affect on me. This is why I'm primarily a sherry or brandy drinker, but the beam is a lot cheaper :)

10. masteroftheforce20

masteroftheforce20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2005
    I am one of those people who never has alcohol. I just don't like the taste. I once had a sip of beer but it tasted awful to me and I have never had alcohol since. There are other drinks that I love that are way better than alcohol.

11. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Meh I'd rather spend my $$ on Geek supplies. (IE: lightsaber hilts etc...)

My goram house is decorated by Empire!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.