main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

$ American is hiring $

Discussion in 'Archive: Quad Cities (old board)' started by QCPsychoJedi, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QCPsychoJedi

QCPsychoJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2002
    In the wake of the Peoria store stealing some employees from our store, there are several positions open.
    If anyone in the order or anyone you know wants a sweet job this is your chance. Basically the job plays out like this. Whoever wants to apply just let me know and I will give a referral to the HR manager. After a couple interviews American gives you an all expenses paid vacation/training in Madison WI after which you come down here and make $10 an hour plus commission until you're prepared to fly on your own.
    As a sales professional you'll make on average $800 a week to play games, talk electronics with people and eat free lunch all the time. (American pays for our lunch every Saturday as a department and then every month the whole store gets another one on a Sunday.)
    There's all kinds of benefits from John Deere, a 401K, and the discount is sweet as hell. If anyone is interested just call me (Mark) at the store (563) 359-5000
    This is the easiest job I've ever had just because American makes it so easy to sell stuff here. Between their policies, price system, and the fringe benefits the turn around is usually really low except at times like this when they need a mass of people at once. Right now in my department alone we need 2 people. One to fill my slot Sept 1st and one to replace a Manager in Training that took off for the Peoria store as well.

2. qc_jedi_xavier

qc_jedi_xavier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2002
    this that the davenport store or the peoria one? is the policy "you have to make a sales quota" ie. "x" amount of sales on a day/week? and is the pay $10/hr all the time or do you only get that for an "x" amount of time then you go to commsion only?

3. qcjediJohn_AM

qcjediJohn_AM Jedi Master star 1

Jul 21, 2002
    I am definetly interested! I have the same questions though. And would I have to know about everything in the store? Because I'd know computers and electronics the best, and I'd be awful with Furniture and some of the high-end stereo equipment. I'll be giving you a call, heh.

4. QCPsychoJedi

Aug 10, 2002
    The pay structure works like this. You get $10 per hour for the first month. The first 2 weeks are paid training with all other expenses covered by the company and then the second two weeks are the flat rate plus commission on whatever you sell. The first two weeks is for product knowledge and the second two weeks is to get comfortable with being on the floor. You will have a certified assinged mentor who will be there every day that you are to help train you as well. Usually the whole dept does that as a team. Then it's straight comm from that point on.
    Trust me you wouldn't want it any other way. You make way more $$ on comm than with an accompanying flat rate. Our "tech rate" is how much money we accumulate divided by how many hours you work. Everyone in this dept makes a rate on average of about $20 per hour.
    If you don't make the equivalent of $7.00 an hour by the end of the pay period american pays you a draw of at least that much but I have been here a year and have never seen anyone take draw. With the way we package everything and the way the price system works here it makes it a very easy environment to work in and have fun in as well.
    Generally you make most of your dough on the weekends and then the weekdays are a good supplement. The way I've watched it pan out (this is beyond the sugar coating human resources usually likes to do) you generally make about $300 on Sat and Sun and then on average $150 a day on any given weekday. This past Sunday I did $400 on Sunday and my week was at about $1150. If you want to see my print out I can show you.
    With the summer business is picking up and someones going to have to sell what I've been selling when I move to Peoria. Anyone want my paycheck? lol
    If you don't think it's for you that's ok. It's pretty hard to suck at it though. And as far as the companies expectations for meeting certain levels, they are only reasonable, never unrealistic. If you're not doing as well as you could be, your peers will step in to help, that's just how it goes down here.
    One of our new guys doubled his numbers in the last week just because we showed him a few cool tips.

5. qcjediJohn_AM

Jul 21, 2002
    Is this a full-time or part-time position? I got college coming up, so im gonna need some kinda flexible hours, heh.

6. darth_Doh

darth_Doh Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2003
    i would also like to know if it is flexible hours, part-time full time
    cause i need the green backs
    and also have the whole college deal

7. qcjediJohn_AM

Jul 21, 2002
    I tried to give you a call at the store today, but to no avail. Maybe I'll try later tonight... Should I go in and ask for a application?

8. QCPsychoJedi

Aug 10, 2002
    The position is full time to begin with. After you have been with them a little while you may be able to go to part time but the company isn't going to spend $2000 training you just to have you on a part time basis. John if you have any specific questions you can email me at qcdealer@hotmail.com.

9. quadcityteecee1

quadcityteecee1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2002
    Are they still hiring as of 8/15? I would possibly be interestd in selling if this is like you say...let me know:)--TC

10. QCPsychoJedi

Aug 10, 2002
    I believe they are still hiring. Nate was just offered a position with the company after breezing through the interviews. If you're interested email me at kitfisto007@hotmail.com with your basics.
    Name, address, phone # blah blah blah cuz I need to fill out a referral form before you apply. This is handy for two reasons. One, it helps you get your foot in the door and two I get a fat bonus when you become Q&L certified and so will you. $400 I believe. Not bad for learning how to ask the right questions.
    >
    Oh and by the way, if you ever get a chance to help out or work a Grand opening, DO IT!!
    I made $1000 in one weekend in Peoria. American is so obsessed with making a good impression they will crush everyone elses ads. If I wasn't tethered to American this month I'd be at Dragon Con this year. But I will most definitely be at every other upcoming con in the next 2 years easily because of saved vacation time and bonuses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.