main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An idea about Indy

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by LadyChaos1138, Aug 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyChaos1138

LadyChaos1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2001
    I have an idea for a character for Indy 4. Indy should have a younger sister. She should be sweet but tough. Much like her older brothe an she too would be an archeoligist. And have to work with her brother. She would have the same stubborness and need to be the leader as Indiana, thus creating room for sibling quarrels that would get them in trouble. Instead of Indy having the love interest she would, this could bring out the overprotective older brother in Indiana. Her age would be somewhere between 20-35 what do you think?

2. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Rumor has it Spielberg asked Kevin Costner to play Indy's brother. *shudders*

Although Costner says that isn't true... [face_plain]

3. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    I believe the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" had a bookend segment with Old Indy that revealed that Indy eventually had grandchildren, so Indy must have procreated at some point. I had an idea for "Indiana Jones IV" that Indy would meet his long-lost daughter by Marion Ravenwood. Remember how in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Indy and Marion had not seen each other in ten years after he had a youthful affair with her? Marion told Indy that she ruined her life. I always wondered what that meant. Maybe after Indy left her, the teenaged Marion learned she was pregnant with Indy's child. Because Marion was unmarried and she knew Indy would never settle down, she gave the child up for adoption. If the child was born in 1926 (ten years before ROTLA), it would be an adult by the 1950s, the most likely time period for "Indiana Jones IV". I'd like to see Indy meet up with his daughter after all those years and go on an adventure together. She could be a tough hellraiser, equal parts Indy and Marion. Add to this a sub-plot involving Indy dealing with getting older, a cameo by Sean Connery as Indy's dying father, and a moment of rememberance for the dearly departed Marcus Brody, and you have a story that not only brings back Indy for more adventures, but develops his character further.

-Dubya Fett

4. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    A sister would be fairly unbelievable. You'd have to get around the question, "Why wasn't the sister living with River Phoenix Indy in LC?" You'd also have to explain how come no mention of this sister is made in the entire Young Indy series. Did he only take his son travelling around with him? Nah, it just wouldn't ring true. If a female relative must be brought in, I quite prefer the Marion's daughter aspect, but even that's not especially inviting, if only because of the inevitable critical backlash. I can just imagine Ebert or somebody saying, "Indy, I am your daughter? Please. What is it with GL's compulsion to find previously hidden family members in his sequels?"

5. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    I think Indy meeting his long-lost daughter by Marion Ravenwood would work for several reasons:

1. A nice tie-in to "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Indy must have done something pretty bad in 1926 to make Marion and Abner Ravenwood not talk to him in ten years. Getting Marion pregnant before leaving her would make her hate him. Of course, I don't think Indy would ever know he was a father, and since Marion was an unmarried teenager the child would be put up for adoption. Just another thing that would help define the Indy and Marion characters, and their mixed feelings towards each other in ROTLA.

2. I really liked the Marion Ravenwood character in ROTLA, much more than that spoiled ditz Willie Scott or that treacherous femme fatale Elsa Scneider. Marion and Indy really did seem made for each other. Imagine a daughter who was equal parts Indy and Marion, a mixture of brains and toughness. Remember that old rumour of Natalie Portman wanting to play Indy's daughter? It's probably phony, but she really would look the daughter of Indy and Marion.

3. One of the Old Indy segments on "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" showed his grandkids. Since Indy obviously has a kid one day, why not show it in "Indiana Jones IV"?

4. "Indiana Jones IV" needs to further develop Indy's character in order to make it succeed. Harrison Ford has said he wants to address Indy dealing with getting older. Maybe Indy, after all those years of adventuring, regrets never having a family? Marcus Brody is dead, and the only family member he has left, his father, may not have long to live. Indy going on one last adventure, and then meeting up with his long-lost daughter in the process, would mirror the experiences of Spielberg and Lucas, and many of their fans, who have since the action-packed debut of Indiana Jones become parents themselves.

5. Indy needs a female partner, but Ford is getting a bit old to play the roguish ladies man without it seeming kind of desperate. The solution would be to forego a romantic interest and give Indy a daughter to bicker with, rescue, and fight alongside of.

6. A possible tagline for "Indiana Jones IV": "Like father, like daughter.". Can't you see that? Lucas likes providing young girls with positive role models. Indy's kicka$$ confident daughter is a way to get both male and female audience members into the theatre. Heck, if Indy's daughter is really popular, you could have a potential spin-off franchise on your hands.

7. Ford's in great shape for his age (I can't believe he's almost 60!), but it might be a bit too much for him to carry all the action by himself. Having a fit daughter in her 20s who can handle some of the tough stuff might be a good idea.

8. I know, Lucas has already dealt with the sudden reappearance of long-lost family members. It's kind of cliche. All the more reason why Lucas might do it, in my opinion.

-Dubya Fett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.