main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"And sacrifice Han and Leia?"...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darkcide, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    ...is what Luke said to Yoda on Dagobah about why he couldn't stay.Han and Leia?What about Chewie and Threepio?

2. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Sidekicks don't count. :p

3. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    Why did Luke have chewi imprisoned to save han. Luke hates chewi! Same here.

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Han and Leia are more important to him.

5. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    Luke is still a little p.o.ed about the handcuffs incident with Chewie in ANH.Those Skywalkers know how to hold a grudge.

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    At that point in time, Luke was more closer to Han and Leia. Plus, a protocol droid can be replaced...his friends can't.

As for Chewie, he cared about him too, he just didn't feel a need to mention him. :p

7. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    I always thought that he saw them dying in his vision, this is why he mentioned them specifically.

8. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    He liked Chewbacca. Don't forget that he gave the giant rug a tickle before the Battle of Hoth and Chewbacca gave him a giant hug back! Yeah, they were mates by then. It's just that Han and Leia were in the most danger of their lives, not Chewbacca (3-PO doesn't live everyone!).

9. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    I suppose saying "And sacrifice Han,Leia,Chewie,Threepio,Artoo,Lando,Lobot,and the Ugnaughts" would be overkill.

10. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

Han and Chewie are a package they come together and Threepio can be mended. Luke had a much more emotional connection with Han and Leia

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Maybe he didn't know Chewie was there. His vision only showed Han and Leia in danger and in pain.

12. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    I suppose it's a pretty safe bet that Chewie was with Han, and Luke would know that. However, his vision only showed Han and Leia in pain, and since he wasn't exactly thinking rationally at the moment, Han and Leia were the only two that came to mind. There's my two cents. ;)

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    And Chewie wasn't in pain. Unless of course you count the high-pitched noise in his prison cell.

14. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    One of my favorite things about TESB is that Luke does go to help his friends, who are in pain, but he doesn't actually help them at all.

The only thing that can be counted as helping them is bringing R2-D2. They escaped from the city with Lando' help.

Would they escape has R2 not had been there, I do not know. But I like that little touch that Yoda's proficy can true and Luke's efforts were for naught.

Madine out

15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "One of my favorite things about TESB is that Luke does go to help his friends, who are in pain, but he doesn't actually help them at all."

[face_laugh]
    I never realized that! :D

16. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    "I suppose saying "And sacrifice Han,Leia,Chewie,Threepio,Artoo,Lando,Lobot,and the Ugnaughts" would be overkill. "

My thoughts exactly.

17. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    One of my favorite things about TESB is that Luke does go to help his friends, who are in pain, but he doesn't actually help them at all.

While this is true, he was lead in the direction of the freezing chamber. He did try going after Leia, but she was able to warn him before she was taken away.

18. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    Or maybe he just thought "Forget the walking carpet and the tin can,I'm lookin' out for the humans!"

19. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Damn human chauvanist!! You can tell he was the son of one of the top guys in that racist Empire :p

20. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    While this is true, he was lead in the direction of the freezing chamber. He did try going after Leia, but she was able to warn him before she was taken away.

I do not think Luke was helped at all. Her screams were not helpful, and Luke walked right into the trap already. He was there. And furthermore, he was looking for Vader. He saw Leia ahead, and still went into the carbon freezing chamber.

Leia's warning, while audible, in the heat of the moment, might not be as understood. I know the first time I saw the movie, what she said was not entirely clear.

But that is niether here nor there. Luke did nothing to help them, unless you count R2-D2 coming along with him. Because he fixes the hyperdrive at the end. But his goal. To prevent Leia and Han from dying, he di dnot succeed in that he had nothing to do with their survival.

Madine out

21. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    Good point, Madine. I never saw it that way. :)

22. ARIEL_ANTILLES

ARIEL_ANTILLES Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2003
    You're right, Madine.
    That's one of my favorite things from ESB too, and one of the things that made ESB my favorite film of the saga.
    Luke can't help his friens, they can't save Han...

23. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    I never understood Yoda's response to this " question. He said something like "If you honor what they fight for, yes". Does anyone know what he meant?

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    What Yoda meant is pretty simple: Han & Leia are fighting for the freedom of the galaxy from the tyranny of the Empire (and by extension, the Sith.) If Luke goes and the worst happens, the galaxy is doomed. If Luke had gone and been turned to the Dark Side by Vader, that would've been it. No second chances here, folks, this would've been the death of hope.

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    He liked Chewbacca. Don't forget that he gave the giant rug a tickle before the Battle of Hoth and Chewbacca gave him a giant hug back!

If he really liked Chewie, I don't think he would be patting him like a dog. ;)

Madine: I would build on that even further. I think it's possible that Luke knew he was walking into a trap, but at that point he didn't care. He was more interested in taking his anger out on Vader than finding his friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.