main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

And Then There Was Light (the beginning of the Jedi, updated 12-21-04)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jade_Skywalker, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Okay, this is my latest story. The time period is basically pre-everything. It's my own ideas on how the Jedi get started in the galaxy, and I just want to tell you now: pay close attention to some of these names I'm throwing at you. ;) Anyway, without further ado . . .

?For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.?
    ?Ben Kenobi, A New Hope

In the midst of a dimly lit room on board his flagship, the Tightened Grip, Sireth observed a very shriveled old man. All of his head hair was gone, his body was all skin and bones, and he wore nothing but a simple loincloth. He pressed his whole body up against the far wall, trying to stay away as much as he could. In a dark corner was one of Sireth?s officers who stood so mechanically that he appeared to be staring at nothing.

Sireth peered down at the slave before him and observed the man?s wounds from the endless lashing of whips, and his wheezy breath. For a moment, he allowed himself a wry smile, and then he pointed at the man. ?Why was this man flogged??

?Escape attempt, sir,? the officer said. ?His actions caused a riot by the rest of the slaves. Luckily, we were able to get it under control, but he would not stop.?

Sireth came closer to the point where the old man could feel Sireth?s breath coming down on him. The breath was cold. Sireth?s steel-toed boot came up, meeting the old man?s chin and throwing him on his back. The man winced in pain for a moment as his wounds met the cold floor, but his wincing turned to extreme shock when Sireth slammed his boot down on his stomach and held it there. This time the man could not hold back his mumbled cries.

Sireth spoke loudly. ?You must be very bold to attempt such a foolish thing. Tell me, how do you feel now??

Sireth lifted his foot up and slammed it on the floor just near the old man?s head. In answer to his question, the old man spit on his boot. Sireth shook his head. ?Still defiant, are we?? He took the old man by the throat, raising him to his feet. He slammed the other?s back into the wall, and brought his face close. ?What gives you the power to do this to me??

Gasping for breath, the man spoke in a raspy voice. ?The same power that you use.?

Sireth tightened his grip in anger. ?That?s impossible.?

?Is it??

Sireth could not hold in his rage any longer. He launched the old man clear across the room where he slammed into the far wall. ?Can your power do that!? he shouted.

The old man was panting heavily as he pushed himself up on all fours. ?Perhaps, if I had more strength.? The old man looked straight into the other man?s eyes. ?You, Sireth, and your followers, are not the only ones capable of using this power. I discovered and learned to use it years ago. I have seen visions of the future. Even now, I see you, as you will be one day. Lying, drowning in your own blood.? Slowly, but surely, the old man pushed himself to his feet. ?And I see the one who will rise up and destroy you, and help establish a group of beings who will become guardians of a peaceful galaxy.?

Sireth?s wry smile returned. ?No man will destroy me.? He turned around to leave.

The old man?s brow wrinkled. ?Man??

In the blink of an eye, Sireth pulled out his saber, spun around, and launched it at the old man. It sliced cleanly through the man?s gullet, and an annoyingly loud thud could be heard in the room. Sireth allowed himself to peer down at the decapitated man for a moment before calling his saber back to him. Holding it straight out in front of him, he took a moment to gaze at it. He ran his gloved finger along the dull edge of the blade, and smiled as he remembered the long weeks it took him to fashion it.

The curved blade of the saber was made out of a totally indestructible metal. Hours at a time would be spent on sharpening it alone. It was an elegant weapon, but at the moment, it was dripping with blood.

Sireth tossed his saber to the guard. ?Have it cleaned

2. Amithyst_Blade

Amithyst_Blade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    this is a great story! i'm definatly reading this! post more please!

longer dayz,
    Ami the flying Force monkey

3. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    A woman?

JS, I've found lately that I'm not reading many fics. So, I'm now making an effort to change that, by reading this remarkable fic. Please continue, I'm eagerly awaiting more. Btw, please call me Am, I depise "Amidala_Skywalker" :D

Am [face_love]

4. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    Thanx you guys, it's nice to hear from you. :D

5. Jedi_Borme

Jedi_Borme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2000
    Yea, you started post Jade. I great so far. Can't wait to read more. :)

6. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I didn't know you were posting this yet. Glad to see it.

7. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    YEP! :) And thank you for being my beta RebelMom. :D I'll be sending more soon.

8. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    Here we go, the next part. :) And again, I say, really look at some of the names I throw at you.

The nights were cold and unpleasant for all of the slaves in their small huts. The hard metal floors made the situation ten times worse, but the promise of a hot, long day of work lay ahead of them. Each day was the same. Everyday the slaves would wake up, quickly devour a nutrition roll, and then get to work building the cities they had been constructing for over fifty years. The skyscrapers reached high into the atmosphere, and the work was very dangerous. When the horn blew, it either meant that it was time to eat another nutrition roll, or it was time to walk back to the hut village. Awaiting the slave at the hut village was another long and cold night.

It had been this way for Jeredi and Kalisha Coruscant their entire lives. Each night, Jeredi did what he could for his little sister, younger by three years, to keep her warm. Each night, the eighteen-year-old would cradle her close to his body, letting his body heat do what it could. Their old, worn blankets didn?t help much; they were as thin, as the material of which their hut was made. The icy breezes of wind blew in easily. It pained Jeredi?s heart to have to watch Kalisha grow up in such a harsh environment, but at least they were together. That was all that mattered.

When Jeredi was eight and Kalisha was five, their parents were killed in a construction accident. After that, they made good friends with a boy named Connor J'Kane who was the same age as Jeredi. Connor had recently been separated from his parents and sent to this planet, alone. As the three grew up together, gradually their workload would grow as well. Now, all three of them bore the same workload as any adult. His sister, only being fifteen, was the youngest in their level; the reason being was the fact that his sister was very resourceful.

From the time Kalisha was six, she had merely been a water girl, giving the slaves drinks when it was permitted. When she turned ten, her labor increased slightly. She not only served water, but also had to climb to the highest levels to do it, a task that requires a resourceful person in itself. By the time Kalisha was fourteen, she started doing construction ground work. The building was only in its skeletal structure, and the higher levels were the most dangerous. That was where Jeredi and Connor worked. On the ground, all one had to worry about was getting out of the way if something was coming one?s way. For the higher level workers, it was not only harder to get out of the way, but if one was hit, there was the risk of falling anywhere between ten to a hundred stories down.

There had been an accident in the lower levels. A small steel beam came crashing down from the third floor, destroying much of what had already been built. A woman in her early thirties, on break from the higher levels, had not been so lucky as to get out of the way in time. Both her legs were caught, and a piece of debris cut her forehead. When Kalisha rushed to help, she found that the woman?s legs had been broken, and couldn?t move. She called for two young men working near her, and together, all three of them lifted the beam off. All around them were the remains of the wreckage that came down with the beam. She gathered a few slabs of metal, and brought them over to the injured woman.

When she knelt down again, Kalisha tore off her boots, and pulled off her socks. She gestured to the young men to do the same, though they weren?t sure why yet. Carefully, she felt around the woman?s lower legs where the beam hit, and did her best to pop the bones back in place. She knew that her medical skills probably weren?t worth dung, but once at the medical center, the doctors would be able to help her. All she needed to do was get the woman out of the wreckage, because she knew that the guards would never risk their lives for a slave.

After setting the bone in one leg, she placed two of the slabs on either side of the leg, then used the s

9. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Wahoo! You're posting this story now! :D Very interesting start ;)

10. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Their force-sensitive? Now that makes for one diverse storyline. Slaves to the Empire, reminds me of some old NJO book, strangely. Nice work!

Am [face_love]

11. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
  12. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
  13. Gaveth

Gaveth Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2001
    Alright, a new story! :D

14. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    UP! :D I'll have more for you guys tomorrow. :)

15. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    Cool idea. "Jeredi"? I like that name. :)

16. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    Do you understand where it comes from? ;)

17. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
  18. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    Exactly Am! :) Notice any other interesting names? ;) Anyway, here's the next part.

Connor was already there by the time Jeredi and Kalisha got to the fifty-seventh level to pick up where they left off the previous day. He strode up to them almost anxiously, and nearly lost his balance on a beam. ?Take it easy, Connor,? Jeredi yelled at him as he hoisted Kalisha up on another beam.

?Have you heard the news, Jeredi?? he said, finally reaching them.

?What news?? Jeredi replied.

?I heard about it last night at my hut village.?

?What??

?It?s Sireth. He coming.?

Kalisha went wide-eyed, obviously stunned. ?Here??

?Yep, Sireth himself.?

?What?s he coming here for?? Jeredi asked.

Conner merely shrugged. ?Nobody knows why, but he?ll be here in about a half an hour. All the slaves are being gathered to greet him.?

Kalisha shrugged. ?Hey, it beats work even though only for awhile.?

Jeredi nodded at his sister, but still, he had a bad feeling about this. He wasn?t sure what it was yet, or why he was feeling this way, but he was positive that after Sireth?s visit, nothing would be the same.

Sireth waited patiently for his shuttle to land. He knew that notice of his arrival was last minute, but he had done it on purpose. It was exhilarating when men trembled at the thought of his presence, rushing in a panic to make everything perfect for him. Only he and his Tomaj Lai-the five young women who trailed behind him-knew the reason for his visit.

The shuttle made a small jolt as it landed on solid ground, and the ramp descended. The air was hot and humid. Still standing at the top of the ramp, Sireth took a look around. All the slaves had been gathered and formed into lines. As he took in the scene, Sireth guessed that there were at least two hundred slaves present. The crowd of slaves split creating a pathway that led to the entrance of a long since finished building which served as the command center. At the bottom of the ramp stood Lanx Tade, waiting to greet them. Lanx Tade was one of the dozen Sireth Followers assigned to command this specific operation.

As Sireth and his Tomaj Lai came closer, Tade bowed slightly. ?My lord, your presence here is unexpected, but we are honored.?

With a wave of his hand, Sireth gestured for the man to follow. ?Yes, yes, of course.?

?How long will you be staying here?? Tade asked as they walked down the path between the slaves.

?For as long as it takes for my business to be concluded,? Sireth answered. He glanced around to cast his mocking gaze on the filthy, worn out living beings around him.

?Perhaps if you would tell me the reason for your visit, I may be of some service.?

Sireth smiled knowingly at the other man. ?My reason for being here will be revealed in good time. Do not concern yourself, Tade.?

As they walked the rest of the way in silence, Sireth once again cast his eyes mockingly at the slaves around him. He knew they lived in fear of him and that the news of his coming must have shaken them to the bones. The slaves had their eyes cast to the ground. To look Sireth in the eye purposefully, was forbidden and cause for execution. Death was not usually quick and simple for this error. Everyone had heard the stories. Sireth relished in watching people die painfully and slowly with the exception of the old man. At that time, Sireth just wanted him dead.

Sireth?s thoughts wandered, and his eyes came to rest on a young girl in the front row. Like all the rest of her slaves, her eyes were cast downward, and she trembled as she felt Sireth coming closer. He knew that she knew he was looking at her, almost daring her to look him in the eye. He stretched out with his powers to touch her mind. Instantly he could tell that she was strong, and that she knew her place as a slave. An excellent candidate. He made a note to himself to keep an eye on her.

19. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Sireth = Sith, maybe? Nice post, exactly how I'd presumed the slaves would act in his presence. Nice use of setting and atmosphere! ;)

Am [face_love]

20. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    exactly Am. UP! :)

21. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
  22. Jedi_Borme

Jedi_Borme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2000
    Jade you need to post more. This is a good story. Can't wait to read more. See you Monday :)

23. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    I seem to be havin a lucky streak! :)

Am [face_love]

24. Gaveth

Gaveth Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2001
    Wahoo! :) up.

25. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    After Sireth had entered the command center, the slaves were released in an orderly fashion, and sent back to work. The rest of the day continued as normal. At least Kalisha tried to believe that, but she knew the truth. Sireth had looked at her. Jeredi had noticed it too. She knew he wanted discuss it, but every time he attempted to begin a conversation, she changed the subject. She did not want to think about it, much less talk about it.

However, when the workday was over, and the slaves were walking back to their hut villages, Jeredi took another stab at a talk with her. This time, he went straight to the subject. He grabbed her attention by placing a hand lightly on her shoulder.
    ?He looked at you, Kalisha,? he said, his voice marked with concern.

Kalisha shut her eyes and sighed. ?I know.?

?Why do you think he did that??

She shook her head, annoyed. ?I don?t know. I don?t care either, so can we drop the subject??

Jeredi shrugged. ?Alright, fine.?

A few moments passed, and neither of them spoke. Kalisha had noticed something when Sireth arrived, and it had finally nagged her to the point where she couldn?t keep silent.

?Jeredi?? she said.

?Yeah??

?Did you see the five young women who were following Sireth??

?I got a glimpse.?

?Didn?t it strike you odd that he only had five following him??

?No. Should it have??

?Well, Sireth usually has six. Do you even know who they are??

Jeredi shook his head. ?Not really.?

?Those five young women were Sireth?s Tomaj Lai. In some other tongue, I?m not sure which; it basically means personal slave. They do everything for him. If he says jump, they jump. If he says to go kill a would-be assassin who may be planning a rebellion, they go kill a would-be assassin who may be planning a rebellion. They are not only his slaves but also his bodyguards.?

?Oh, that?s comforting,? Jeredi said sarcastically.

?Oh, that?s nothing,? said Kalisha, ?you should hear how one becomes a Tomaj Lai.?

Her brother?s curiosity rose. ?How??

?Well, first of all, they have to come to him willingly.?

?Wait a second,? Jeredi said, holding up a hand. ?Who in their right mind would willingly sell themselves into slavery??

Kalisha merely shrugged. ?Well, as I understand it, he makes it so you?re trapped. I mean, you can refuse to become a Tomaj Lai, but at a high cost.?

He nodded. ?I see. So, how exactly does one become a Tomaj Lai, again??

?Well, Tomaj Lai are the only slaves who are permitted to look at Sireth straight in the eye, and call him by his name. So, naturally, the first step is to look at him in the eye, then he knows you accept. Oh yeah! You also have to be on your knees. You have to make yourself lower than him. And then you extend your right hand. Sireth will pull out his saber and make a cut on the palm of your hand deep enough so that when it heals, it leaves a scar. Then one of his other Tomaj Lai will come forward, pull off Sireth?s right hand glove, and re-open the scar on his palm. The two hands clasp together, allowing the blood to intermix. There?s no turning back at that point. The scar on your hand serves as a reminder of your commitment. It?s a solemn oath to serve him loyally, signed in blood.?

Jeredi winced. ?Doesn?t sound too fun.?

Kalisha smiled. ?Nope,? she said, ?it doesn?t.?

?How do you know all this.?

?Jeredi, do you remember that lady who used to live two huts down from us??

He took a moment to reminisce. ?The one who died last year??

Kalisha nodded. ?Yeah, that?s the one.?

?What about her??

?Just before she was transferred to this planet, her daughter became a Tomaj Lai. After her death, it was said that she died of old age, but if you ask me, she died of a broken heart. She told me everything about the Tomaj Lai.?

Their conversation came to a short pause as the slaves and the guards arrived at the hut village. The slaves quickly spread to the huts, knowing that if they stopped for anything, the guards would give them a painful reminder to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.