main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Announcing the JC Focus Group

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KnightWriter, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Over the past few weeks, the AC and moderators have discussed revamping the Advisory Council into a form which enables the Moderators and Users to come together and talk about issues in a "Focus Group" type of environment.

The purpose of the Focus Group (FG) will be constructive discussion between members and moderators on various issues of concerns. The Focus Group will be comprised of users brought together for discussion on a particular issue for a short-term period. In order to allow the free exchange of ideas, the Focus Group discussions will take place in a separate forum to which the users will be granted access for the time it takes to resolve the discussion. The outline for the Focus Group is as follows:

1. Members of the Focus Group can range anywhere from 2-12 people at any given time, and are brought into the Focus Group by asking the moderator in charge of the Focus Group to begin a discussion on a particular issue. Moderators can also request Focus Groups to work out issues in their forums. Moderators/Managers will participate in Focus Group discussions that affect their area of expertise or management, therefore, not all Mods/Managers will be expected to participate in every discussion.

2. A Focus Group discussion can continue for up to two weeks (or longer if the Focus Group moderator(s) deem it necessary). Moderators and users will attempt to work toward resolution of ideas and problems but will not be expected to create board policy or submit formal reports on their discussions.

3. Focus Group discussion will take place in an intially new forum, and each thread will be locked when discussion is completed. After discussion is over, the Focus Group moderator(s) will remove the Focus Group users' access.

4. Discussion in Focus Group forum is limited to active Focus Group discussions. Moderators and/or users may not use the forum as a gathering place to discuss issues best left to the Mod Squad or Communications.

5. While users may contact the Focus Group moderator to request a topic discussion, it does not guarantee that this topic will be taken up by the Focus Group. The FG moderator will be responsible for examining the requested topic's relevance to the Group's purpose and initiating the invitations to the discussion.

6. Each Focus Group will have a "team lead" that will be responsible for directing the topic throughout the discussion period. This individual will help keep the discussion flowing throughout the 2 week (or longer) period and solicit ideas as needed from users who are not included in the Focus Group.

7. Since users will be invited into the Focus Group to discuss a particular issue, they will be discouraged from joining in on other discussions that may be going on simultaneously in the FG forum. This is ensure that the Focus Group stays on task for their specific discussion and does not disrupt the flow of other FG discussions.

In summary, the AC will change to meet the needs of the boards. The AC as well as the mods, managers and administrators feel that a Focus Group environment will enable a more topical discussion of issues utilizing users that have a vested interest and experience in a specific area. We feel that in this way, users can bring up issues with multiple mods/managers rather than in a one-on-one PM conversation.

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Hopefully, these modifications to the Advisory Council's structure will allow everyone to realize its true potential as a tool, regardless of which side of the AC line they fell on prior to these latest revisions.

3. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Will users from diffrent forums be choosen at random or will the ones who seem to have the most to offer be invited?

Just curious. :)

4. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Seems like a waste of server space to me.

5. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    While it may be difficult for some people to understand, the Focus Group is not merely making revisions to the Advisory Council's structure.

Rather, we're pretty much doing away with the AC as we know it, and we're adapting the original AC concept into something more flexible and suitable for the current JC.

Will users from diffrent forums be choosen at random or will the ones who seem to have the most to offer be invited?

I don't believe people will be chosen randomly, but we'll take whoever is legitimately interested in discussing an issue of concern with other members.

6. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    When will the members be chosen? Is it gonna be imediate or is the ac gonna serve out its term or is the term over?

7. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    The AC's term is over, and while the changes are immediate, it'll take an issue of concern to discuss before anything actually happens.

8. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002

Just making sure I've got the facts straight.

9. DarthSmurf

DarthSmurf Jedi Master star 5

May 10, 2003
    Sounds like a good idea. :)

10. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    "Rather, we're pretty much doing away with the AC as we know it, and we're adapting the original AC concept into something more flexible and suitable for the current JC."

Exactly. Hopefully the Advisory Council focus group structure allows those who, historically, were against the Advisory Council concept to be able to realize that there is a place for something like the Advisory Council here at the Jedi Council forums.

11. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I demand to be a member. I can focus well.

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    There is no more Advisory Council. This is not the Advisory Council Focus Group.

This is simply the Focus Group, and there can be one or several going on at the same time.

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    AFAIK, the current AC term is finishing up (they're overdue, actually).

All I can say is it's about time something was done to the AC. At least someone's facing forward and realizing that in order for the AC to survive, it must fundamentally change.

I don't know how well the new Focus Group will fare, but at least this is a step in the right direction.

14. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    This is not the Advisory Council Focus Group.

It still has an Advisory purpose though, to assist Moderators with seeing the views of the common poster. How about Focus Advisory Group?

15. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Right, I'm quite sure that users of this site are intelligent to realize that a simple name change from "Advisory Council" to "Focus Group" doesn't do anything.

Substantial changes have been made to the Advisory Council structure. And hopefully those changes allow those who have been against it to realize it's true potential, which has always been lost to some degree, especially post-AC4 by drama.

I'd make the statement to everyone, "Give this Advisory Council a chance."

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    It still has an Advisory purpose though, to assist Moderators with seeing the views of the common poster. How about Focus Advisory Group?

Does it? I don't know.

I'd say it's more about resolution of various conflicts or issues that come up and also to gain insight into the views of members if they wish to discuss something in a small group.

17. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Hmm, this sounds like an interesting idea. Let's see if it actually helps out. :)

Anata Baka?!

18. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Can this thread be the official focus group to discuss the focus groups?

19. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    I'd say it's more about resolution of various conflicts or issues that come up and also to gain insight into the views of members if they wish to discuss something in a small group.

All of this can be done off board, I don't see why it needs to be moderator monitored and in a private forum unless the moderators are getting something out of it.

20. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I ask everyone reading the first post and considering this idea to keep in mind that we have adapted the Advisory Council into something more flexible and suitable for the JC. As a result, the AC as we know it will cease to exist.

There is no direct advisory purpose to the Focus Group, and the main purpose is for discussion of ideas and resolution of issues and conflicts.

All of this can be done off board, I don't see why it needs to be moderator monitored and in a private forum unless the moderators are getting something out of it.

I don't think moderator "monitored" is true. Interested/concerned moderators and members will discuss an issue of concern in a private forum, so moderators will be a part of it.

21. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Fate...
    "...I don't see why it needs to be moderator monitored..."

I would say like the Advisory Council has always been, it ought to at least be "Moderator-monitored." Meaning that Moderators whose forums might be impacted ought to at the very least be viewing the thread, even if not taking part.

Again, these latest changes ultimately come down to being a a two-way street between users and mods like it's always been. The Mods get insight which might be lost in "mob threads," the users get an outlet where they feel their feelings are being personally heard.

If one side is lacking in the equation, then we've created nothing more than a "party line" PM system, something the Mods already have in the form of the ModSquad forum.

22. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    Genghis, please learn to read complete sentences. I said:

I don't see why it needs to be moderator monitored and in a private forum unless the moderators are getting something out of it.

In other words, I think the moderators are getting something out of this, and I was telling KW this.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In other words, I think the moderators are getting something out of this, and I was telling KW this.

Yep, Fate -- that was the general point I think you hit on. If Mods think they can get something out of it, they'll open up a Focus Group (e.g. "dp4m initiated a Focus Group to determine if Luke's turning to the Dark Side should be considered canon in EU Literature.")

But also please remember that inidividual Forum members can ask their Forum Mod to initiate one on their behalf. It is POSSIBLE to be the case that the Forum Mod will refuse to do so (on the basis of "I don't think it's useful") but I can only envision that being a rare exception rather than the norm.

24. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Fate...
    You had some question about whether mods will get something out of these AC revisions. I was clarifying that there isn't any question. As long as that two-way street is open, everyone gets something out of it.

Not just mods, but regular users as well.

It's a win-win situation.

25. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    No, Genghis, I always knew it was a two way street. I'm not a complete imbecile.
    I don't know whose posts you were reading to make you think that I ever had the notion that the mods weren't getting anything out of it, but you were sorely mistaken and that was never my intent. I'm surprised that you're the only person, yet again, in a thread who doesn't understand why I'm trying to say, maybe you should look into some reading comprehension classes or something. I'm tired of these nitpicky fights you always try to start with me, and I won't be replying to any more of your posts in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.