main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC beaten by Spider-Man this summer

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Blasphemous, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Out of the summer films this year, can anyone name one that was actually an original screenplay with no source material?

Every summer movie, or just blockbusters? What about kid's movies, ala Lilo and Stitch? Does source material include a prequel to a sequel? Have I bothered you by asking enough questions now? ;)

2. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I can't wait to see what DVD/VHS sells better-- SM or AOTC? It'll be yet another battle in this war of the franchises.

3. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I'm getting both DVDs so it'll be hard to see if "hard-core only" is even tallied. People say one thing then you see them out in the stores contradicting their so-called "hard-coreness loyalty"...
    Me? I got toys from both films, comic book adaptions from both and misc. moviebooks from both. Even got both soundtracks!

4. MasterJedi-Mackey

MasterJedi-Mackey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2002
    Also, if a movie can gross $100M in a weekend, yeah AOTC can still catch the "elusive" SM.

SW films have a far stronger loyal audience that will go to the theater for viewing long after the baby home-theater fans pick up the latest bootleg copy or Blockbuster video copy, which will balance the numbers. Don't sweat it.

5. Darth_Chewie

Darth_Chewie Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2002
    No, you can't sum up the Star Wars movies in the same way. of course there's a hero's journey but you're leaving out the political drama, the romance, and most importantly, Anakin's whole story. taken individually, AOTC definitly cannot be summed up in one sentence the way SpiderMan can and you can't find 20 other movies with the exact same plot like you can with SpiderMan.

Well then your either A)incredibly inattentive, B)pretty slow, or C)your perception is skewed by you blind allegiance to anything Lucas puts his name on. Like I said if your OBJECTIVE. Spider-man is much more than the hero's journey. You've got an overwhelming sense of grief and guilt in the film for Peter basically causing the death of his uncle (father figure). You've also got him dealing with being a social outcast and coping with something that threatens to make him even more so. You've got a genuine love story, not some cardboard faux love story that was about as believable as an Al Qaida newsletter. Dont get we wrong I love SW, but I just cant stand the "our $hit dont stink" mentality that some in these forums display.

6. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Sophita,

Obviously there are exceptions but many blockbusters and big films are sequels/prequels and/or are based on books, comics, etc. or are remakes. Here are some examples:

MIIB-sequel and based on a comic book

Spider-Man-obviously based on a comic book

Scooby Doo-based on a cartoon

The Bourne Identity-based on a book

Road To Perdition-believe it or not, this is a comic book movie based on a graphic novel of the same name

The Sum of All Fears-based on a book

Minority Report-based on a short story

Insomnia-remake

The Scorpion King-prequel

Powerpuff Girls-based on the TV cartoon

AOTC-prequel

7. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Spider-Man was simple crowd-pleasing fun for the masses, nothing more. Star Wars is in a different league.

8. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Imperial_Guard,

HOW DARE YOU! Take back your statement! Powerpuff Girls was COMLETELY original! The nerve of some people. Geez.

9. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Spiderman DVD will outsell AOTC. Simple.

10. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Agreed. It simply has a wider audience, including young children. AOTC seemed to be geared more towards the fans of the saga. There is something to be said that two movies can coexist and make as much money as they both did though.

11. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    True, they both made a lot of money at the box office. Both are highly anticipated DVD releases.

12. Darth-KrayzieBone

Darth-KrayzieBone Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2001
    "Spiderman DVD will outsell AOTC. Simple."

It's SAD but true. :(

13. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    It's possible that more people will rent or buy the AOTC DVD/VHS than SM because less people have seen AOTC at theaters.

14. OB3

OB3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    I think they both will be in the
    top ten of the best selling DVDs
    ever in about a year or so!

15. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    obhavekenobi78,

I'm not exactly sure if you were being serious or not but the Powerpuff movie would not exist without the TV cartoon hence it is not an "original" film.

AOTC had a lot going for it to be "simple crowd-pleasing fun for the masses" as well. While the fans may be more interested in the story, the special effects such as the battle sequences and lightsaber duels are hardly "fan only". I think casual viewers are still in the majority for AOTC viewership, despite fans who have seen it multiple times.

And this has been mentioned a gazillion times before but the TV campaign for AOTC sucked next to Spider-Man. If the trend repeats itself for the DVD release, Spidey will probably sell more there too. But why should we care about varying degrees of blockbuster success? Are we worried that GL is in financial trouble or something? The AOTC DVD will sell very well just like Spidey and LOTR and those involved with each of them will make more money than most of us will ever see. Yay.

16. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    That's true, Spidey will probably get vastly superior television commercials-- and many more of them!

The SW fans are probably the only ones who will know when AOTC is coming out on DVD.

Lucasfilm won't even give AOTC a chance...

17. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Yep, if people need to bash AOTC, they should start in the marketing department. Cutting back on out of control merchandising is fine but you still have to remind the general audience that your film is out there.

18. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    For the record, the only thing I bash in regards to AOTC, is its marketing campaign.

I have hope that the marketing was all a big setup for Ep3 (not oversaturating SW in people's minds), but I doubt it.

19. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    From your username, I was pretty sure that you weren't an adamant basher. :D

But anyone, whether it's a basher or gusher or whatever, can easily recognize that the marketing campaign was rather sad. In this area, bashers and gushers could likely find rare agreement.

20. WishboneKenobi

WishboneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    My favorit star wars movie is the Empire Strikes back and I belive it made the least amout of money. That just shows you that most amount of money dosen't always equal the best movie. I think Episode 3 will make even less money but I know it will be the best of all six films.

21. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Well, I'm gonna see BOTH Spidey and AOTC tonight while its still playing...good for me!

Star Wars should have been a no-brainer that's why the Marketing campaign wasn't going all-out. The SW name alone should have sold itself. With Spidey it was a long awaited film and Sony wanted to make the best of it.

A "hero" will save us and a "Jedi" will betray us... ;)

22. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    I'm not so sure. There are a lot of "names" out there these days so you still need to back yours up with some effective marketing, even if it's Star Wars.

Still, AOTC made 300 million domestic and is doing very strong internationally. I don't mean any disrespect to American members but it seems like AOTC is a bigger thing in countries other than the U.S., with Japan as a prime example. Maybe there's less summer competition?

23. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    i dont know about Spiderman DVD outselling AOTC DVD. i say this because Spidey was new- everybody had to see it thus its great takings at the box office. AOTC was the second in a trilogy and after the bashing TPM got i never expected it to do as well as TPM, nevermind spidey. I seen both- thought Spidey was very good but loved AOTC. But i wont buy Spidey DVD like i will AOTC. I feel maybe this will be the opinion of alot of people. I think AOTC will outsell Spidey personally- but it will be close! :)

The best thing from Spidey was the song "Hero" by Nickelback & Josey Scott. Super song! :D

24. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Its cool that AOTC is really big internationally. The fact that other countries "get" SW is great.
    As an American myself I know Spidey would probably mostly appeal to Western cultures but mainly the US and Canada because not too many other cultures embrace the high school bully/"teeny-bopper" drama/ puppy-love thing. Its too American I understand.
    Its not too hard to "get" SW...

"All you lunch money are belong to us, puny Parker!"

25. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Don't underestimate the power of AOTC's DVD. Star Wars still has a larger core fanbase than any other film series. Spider-Man only made more at the box office because it appealed to a larger percentage of regular moviegoers, at least in America. Not everyone who enjoyed Spider-Man will buy the DVD, but nearly every Star Wars fan will want to own AOTC.
    Also, AOTC has potential to do better on DVD because a lot of people avoided it at the cinema due to the TPM backlash. Everyone who wants to see Spider-Man has pretty much seen it already, so it shouldn't pick up as many extra viewers on home video. I still think Spider-Man will sell more copies at first, but AOTC will be in it for the long haul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.