main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC/ROTS Complete Scores **Official Thread**

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by jedi_master_ousley, Mar 8, 2003.

1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Why isn't this available? I've looked everywhere, and it doesn't seem to exist.

Are there any plans of one being released?

GK edit: editing title on this official thread.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    No plans currently, according to Sony. However, the Ultimate Edition for TPM was not announced until like July 2000 and was released in Nov of 2000, so... we got 4 months until we'd even get an announcement, if one is planned.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I really hope they make one, I have the ANH one and really like it. I haven't been able to find the other ones anywhere forever, and when I used to see them, I didn't know how good they'd be. :(

4. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    I can't wait!

I just hope its better than the one for TPM.

I just got that the other day.

Compared to the SE discs, its horrible!

No long, professional, commentary about the music, just stupid screenshots that could be from the trailers.

No track play times!!

No good track naming. (JW's fault?)

Way too many tracks!

And bad transitions between them!

Example: There's an unscored scene between 2 of the tracks Disc 1, but we're never told its there.

5. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Wah!

So, we get every ounce of music from the movie, and people complain that the SILENCE FROM THE MOVIE ISN'T THERE!!!!!

come on! For people who do score analysis, TPM Special edition is the best thing to have ever come out! Yet people will complain about everything!

6. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    I just said I wanted a warning of silnce, within a complete description of the music. like on the CT:SE CDs.

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Let me say this again.

We had to wait 20 years to get the complete ANH score in film order. 20 YEARS!!! If in 2019, you still do not have your precious TPM score with full commentary, awesome packaging, spaces between the tracks and everything else, THEN I will feel sorry for you. Until then, I will merely offer some cheese to go with that whine.

:)

8. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    For people who do score analysis, TPM Special edition is the best thing to have ever come out!

I do score analysis, and as far as I'm concerned, TPM UE is the worst thing to ever happen to JW's music. It's like throwing paint on the Mona Lisa.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    For people who do score analysis, TPM Special edition is the best thing to have ever come out!

Yeah I gotta disagree with this too. I think the SE CDs are better for that. The TPM UE is a good example of HOW a score is edited for a film, for better or for worse.

10. Jack-D-Ripper

Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2002
    Yeah I gotta disagree with this too. I think the SE CDs are better for that. The TPM UE is a good example of HOW a score is edited for a film, for better or for worse.

I still prefer listening to the UE, though. Sure, it gets choppy and irritating in spots, but its better than the other CD, which is even more annoying because so much seems to be missing. The UE also sounds like it was mastered better.

I think the way the Prequels are made has a lot to do with why the music is so heavily edited: they have a much more fluid production than the Originals did. The Originals were scored ONLY after a relatively finalized edit of the film was completed (which is the most common practice when scoring films) whereas many things about the Prequels stayed uncertain until the very end of the production. Digital filmmaking has many pleasures, but it also has a few pitfalls....

-JDR.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I still prefer listening to the UE, though. Sure, it gets choppy and irritating in spots, but its better than the other CD

Well yeah I was not comparing the UE to the OST of TPM... Of course it is better than the OST. It is still not as great as the SE CDs of the older films...

12. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    "I do score analysis, and as far as I'm concerned, TPM UE is the worst thing to ever happen to JW's music. It's like throwing paint on the Mona Lisa."

Are you pertaining to the way the music was handled in the album, or how the music was edited in the film? Because for me, the ultimate edition is just an isolated score track on a disk. Not that it's a bad thing, heck, it's the music that we hear in the movie.

I understand edits that were necessary due to the ongoing editorial process that Lucas had to tackle in the film. Though, I don't condone his cheapness for not buying a new score session to fix Menace's chunky edits.

13. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    I do score analysis, and as far as I'm concerned, TPM UE is the worst thing to ever happen to JW's music. It's like throwing paint on the Mona Lisa

well, then you must not have done much research as to score analysis in the theory world. The standart that is held is that the music which appears in the film is the OFFICIAL music. Any serious analytical work must be done from this vantage point, becuase of the colaborative nature of film.

for example, if one was doing an a analysis of Cosi, it may be interesting and informative to see the sketches that Mozart made in the process, but that does not hold more weight than what is actually in the Opera. Same deal here. The uncut cues are neat source material, but when conducting an analysis it is the music that appears in the film that matters.

Thus, TPM:UE was the best thing ever, because instead of having to spend weeks sitting with the movie, notating thematic development and creating from scratch a working version of the score, we have a new media to work from (and it is much easier to work from CD vs. working from a DVD, not having to listent through dialog and sound effects).

So, as I am still contemplating doing my Doctoral work on John Williams' type of thematic treatment, its development over his carreer and its effect on composers of the 1990's and 2000's, the UE is going to be a godsent for me!

14. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I find it odd that the UE has the film version for every track but the parade march which is the same one on the OST.
    Shame cause I kinda like the film version :)

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think we should get back on topic here...

16. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "The standart that is held is that the music which appears in the film is the OFFICIAL music."

Well, until the music gets re-edited in a future release anyway.

17. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    even so, then that is the official version.

the only place that this gets screwy is when a new version has music from someone other than the composer. In most circles, it is still under debate whether or not to compare these two separately...

but alas, we digress. Sorry.

18. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    Official? Perhaps. A more enjoyable listening experience? No.

I've heard the unedited music from The Phantom Menace, and obviously, it's so much more symphonic.

In Menace, the music editing didn't really get bad until the end, mind you, but man, the extension of the Federation fanfare is fantastic in the unedited version. It's certainly on the same leitmotif-wavelength as the previous scores.

19. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    well, then you must not have done much research as to score analysis in the theory world. The standart that is held is that the music which appears in the film is the OFFICIAL music. Any serious analytical work must be done from this vantage point, becuase of the colaborative nature of film.

We're talking about two different things here. It may be my fault.

I'm talking about the study of the score as composed. The UE is an abomination by that standpoint. JW himself even asked that the score not available as an isolated track on the DVD because, while he felt the edits worked with the film proper, he found them "artistically embarrassing". I agree.

When The Beatles were recording Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite on Sgt. Pepper, they found this reel of carnival music in the EMI vaults. George Martin cut the reel up into tiny pieces, scattered them all over the studio floor, taped them back together randomly and played it back for the background noise of the track. That's what the edit of the TPM score feels like to me.

20. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    But Mr. Kite is a really cool song. :)

21. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    I'm talking about the study of the score as composed

I can understand listening to it for its own enjoyment. However, how would an analysis of this nature be legit? That is like a film student studying the dailies as opposed to the finished work...

22. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    Define "finished work," because the Star Wars Saga is yet to be finished as far as Lucas is concerned.

More so, when you film something, it's designed to be in a certain (coherent) order. You don't just randomly edited scenes together, if you do, it's a mess, much like the tacked-on music in the last reel of Clones.

Example: Using the same snippet from "Boarding the Federation Battleship" three times. It's like the musical equivalent of a skipping DVD disc.

23. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Much in the same way I am a Star Wars figure collecting completist, I am also a Star Wars music completist.

I want every note ever recorded for a Star Wars film on DVD eventually. The TPM: UE gave that to us, so I see that as a positive thing. Some of my favorite parts of the music from TPM were in the little snippets only a UE could give us. Like the Godfather-esque little bit we got when the Bongo surfaces in Theed.

Same holds true for AOTC. The Shmi funeral music and the music for Anakin and Padme's first kiss are my favorite pieces from the film, and I really, really hope these find their way to a CD sometime soon.

24. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    [rantmode]

For me, there's nothing worse than tracks overlapping, which The Phantom Menace - Ultimate Edition is full of. I personally prefer fade-ins and fade-outs. Despite the Original 1999 Soundtrack release having signifigantly less music, I very much prefer that. It's a much better listening experience. The Ultimate Edition starts off well, then moves into a total mish-mash of Death Star-Proportions. The extra music is its redeeming quality, but it's a bloody tough, jerky listen.

If the eventual Attack of the Clones - Ultimate Edition is the same, of course I'll still buy it because I'm a completist and I love the extra music, but I can't help but feel somewhat jipped when I know that they could release something along the lines of the Original Trilogy Special Edition Soundtracks, but they're so cheap, they don't even pass on the message to John Williams to produce a superior 2-disc-set that matches those ones.

[/rantmode]

25. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Maybe we'll get some SE-like discs in 2006 or 8 or something..........