main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Char, NC Are you interested in playing Star Wars Minis?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jada, Aug 14, 2007.

?

Are you interested in playing Star Wars Minis?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes

87.5%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Huh?

12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    OK, this is . . . for what I understand and anyone out there that can explain better is welcome to jump in [face_batting] . .. a combo RPG with figures:

http://www.starwars.com/gaming/other/rpg/news20050728.html

I'm gauging interest in who would like to play?
    Do we want a regular meetup?
    How often?
    Where?
    Should we check out Underground Games first to see what we are getting into?

2. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    It would help if those that voted also posted. :p

And um, yes . . . I am interested. ;)

3. andyf

andyf Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2006
    I am interested. What is involved to get started with this game?

4. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    The Almighty Dollar. :( [face_money_eyes]

That is the only thing I see as the stumbling block . . . besides arranging it all. :p

5. TK-307

TK-307 Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2007
    I am game for it. I have a bunch of them if I can find the cards for them that is. :p

6. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    I'm interested as well. The only rpg that I have done was D&D a long time ago. This sounds like it would be fun...

7. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I'm going to see if I can bring in an expert in minis to advise us on:

cost of startup
    how often can/should you play
    any other tips

:D

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Don't know about expert, but I know the game pretty well and play often.

The cost largely depends on how involved you want to be and if you have a gaming store that sells individuals. If you want to be a completest, it could cost you several hundred dollars. If you just want to start playing, it can be relatively cheap. I'd recommend everyone buy the new Starter Kit (available at Target, Walmart and gaming stores). That comes with the newest rule book (a must have), a two sided map, a d20, and six minis (3 Reb, 3 Imp). If you can get a hold of the old starter sets, those can be useful for the figs and maps. Beyond that, I'd buy individual rares and very rares at a local gaming store or EBay, maybe some commons/uncommons, and a bunch of boosters. There are seven 60 figure sets out right now, all sets have some really great pieces in them, depending on what you want to play as. There are ten factions (Rebels, Imperials, Republic, Separtists, Fringe, New Republic, Old Republic, Sith, Vong, and Mandalorians), but not all factions are in every set. The boosters run from about $15-$21.

My FF plays weekly at our local gaming store. Hothie and I play a couple times a week just the two of us to practice squads. My recommendation is to play weekly or every other week. It's better if you can find a gaming store to play at, but someone's house works as well. You'll want to have net access just in case rules questions come up (or at least a phone to call someone who knows the rules pretty well).

Most games are 150-200 points and last about an hour. Since you guys are just getting started I'd recommend 150 point armies and a max time of 45 minutes per game if there are a lot of people, if there are just 2-4 let the games go as long as they need to. Keep it simple at first, just do faction based armies (fringe can be in any squad) and help each other out with figures.

A couple sites I'd recommend are Star Wars Shoebox and the Wizards forums. Shoebox is a minis collection tracking site that has a lot of squads that people have built and submitted. For example if you want to look at the squads I've built go here. This site also has the stats to every fig out there, that's very helpful for figuring out what pieces work well together, thus which you want to try and get next. The Wizards forums are great for the rules board. You can find the answer to almost any minis question you have. (My name is LadyHothie on there if you care).

I'll let you guys digest that for now. Let me know if you have any questions at all. If I don't know the answer personally, I can find it out quickly. It's a really fun game, occasionally frustrating as hell, but more often fun. Good luck!

9. 704core

704core Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    I have put my hat into the ring as well. I used to be the Warlord (the guy who ran the sanctioned Mage Knight tourneys) for my local game store. So I have a bit of experience in the realm of miniature RPG's. What is a central location for most of us here on the board?

10. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Central place? Um, that is up for debate and depends on who is playing because we have people from up past Hickory to Salisbary in this Fan Force.

OK, TK-2970 and I are going to Abby_Normal's Monstore tomorrow. We will check out some prices. Also a friend of mine offered me her set [long story].

11. 704core

704core Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    I know that Underground games in Pineville has a nice place set-up for minis. I will give them a call and see what they have going on the way of any Star Wars nights or if they have any time available for open play.

12. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I've heard that they do. Please do give them a call and report back ;)

We need teleporters. I know, wrong Fandom :p

13. 704core

704core Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    HAHAHA, I kid with my wife all the time about "losing the plans to the teleporter I invented".

14. 704core

704core Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    I think I might try and swing by there tonight or tomorrow but for now... their site says they play SW mini on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month at 1pm and Starship Battles on the 1st Saturday at 1pm. It says that point values and scenarios will be posted at the store.

15. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    Hello all. Dajuan and I don't know much about RPG's, because we don't play those, but the minis and maps work well for those. Wizards has RPG info on their site as well.

There are 4 starter sets that have been made, although 2 are the more common ones:
    Rebel Storm (hard to find)
    Clone Strike (very hard to find)
    Revenge of the Sith (relatively easy to find, and a good one to buy.)
    New starter set (a must have.)

I would recommend going through the rulebook to see how the game is played before actually trying to play. It is a quick read, and easy to follow. Oh, and this is a really good page to read, too: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/minisfaqgeneral
    Really get to know the "Resolving effects" section at the bottom of the page.

Really, money determines how you play, meaning the squads you make are determined by the minis you have. I don't like to be limited in what squads I can play, so I am a completist. And yes, it can cost a LOT to be a completist. Booster packs are good for starting out, although I must say that the "Starship Battles" is a completely separate game, so don't buy those expecting to use them with the other minis. If you can find a Local Gaming Store (LGS) that sells them individually, I would frequent there. Ebay lots are good, too, if you wish to go that route. There is also a trade section if you wish to trade with people on the wizards site.

I don't know what other info you guys want, so just pm or post questions, and Dajuan or I can answer them.

16. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Thanks so much hothie and Dajuan [:D] (Didn't know you were the reigning Mr. Star Wars! :D)

I'm sure as we get going we will have more questions.

704core, thanks. Keep us updated. :cool:

17. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    Yeah, unfortunately I won't be able to go to Dragon Con to pass my crown on. :(

There used to be a site called swmplayers.com that had a database of local players. I just tried it, and I didn't get anything, so maybe it's not up anymore.

18. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    i play quite a bit actually. there are a good amount of sets already out and you can usually find them at underground games, rebel base comics, pennyworths in matthews, borders, and barnes and noble. although the latter book stores may be a tougher spot to get them as they only get one case for each set that comes out and those usually go fairly quick. star wars miniatures is played at underground games the 2nd and 4th saturday of the every month... starting at 1pm. i'm usually up there if i have the time. the next time they will be playing is august 25th. paul (can't remember his last name) runs the tournaments. the fourth saturday (which will be the next one) are sanctioned DCI tournaments... meaning that they cost 5 bucks (which goes into buying boosters which are then opened and chosen from 1st place to whomever in that order) and are kept for standing records throughout the country. usually you can find between 5-10 players usually playing at these tourneys. they are fun and have played many a time up there. some players can be fairly young... but... hahahah... don't take their age for granted... they can give you quite a hard time. the game is easy to learn and Paul as all the minis and brings plenty for others to build teams out of... so learing how to play won't be expensive. i highly recommend it... i equate it to star wars chess... with a little luck thrown in... there's a D20 dice used. i'm not sure if i'll be able to make this coming saturday, but right now it is looking pretty good.

19. 704core

704core Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    Thanks jhc, I forgot all about Pennyworth's having SW minis. I have contacted a couple of stores about giving me a price on a case of starter sets. I will post back when I hear some responses.

20. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    around 22 bucks for sets that involve huges. (bounty hunters and universe)
    around 14-15 bucks for normal sets (rebel storm, clone strike, rots, and alliance and empire)

i should pay attention to what you said... ie... case.

if you choose to buy a case...which is cheaper in the long run. i would recommend the internet... the site i always buy from is coolstuff usually has the cheapest case prices i have found yet.

21. 704core

704core Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    Yeah that is actually one of the first places I emailed was coolstuff. I couldn't find any prices for a case of starters, so that's why I emailed them. I figured if I can find someone to sell us a case or two (or three, however many we need) of starters it would be cheaper and easier for everyone that wants to get involved.

22. Shmi-Skywa1ker

Shmi-Skywa1ker Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2007
    I've been playing SW Minis at UnderGround games for about 2 years with my son. It's fun, and the guy who runs it is very laid back, friendly and cool. (He is not employed by UG.) It is a non competitive atmosphere. They play every other week, and one of those weeks is free, and for the other week, there is an entry fee which is used to buy booster packs as explained below. The games always start at 1:00 on Saturday and go for 3 rounds which usually last an hour. UG is located in the KMart shopping center across from Carolina Place Mall.

The next game there is:

8/25/07 150 point tournament $5 entry fee

Build a 150 point army using the normal building rules and see how you do against 3 different opponents. The entry fees will purchase boosters to be opened for prizes. 1st place picks a piece from the pool, then 2nd place, etc, until everyone has picked. Then we start another round of picking.

23. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Hi Shmi! Welcome to the boards. :D

I just bought a starter set yesterday and a friend is giving me a bunch of her old ones. :eek: I think I need to stop at UG and watch a game being played . . . soon.

24. Erelannon

Erelannon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2003
    I wanna play [face_good_luck]

Jada and TK-2970 know where I live ...

25. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    Let me just say.... this game is highly entertaining and fun.. and a tad bit addictive. Enjoy!!! We love it out here in Tucson for sure. We are playing two nights/days a week here lately!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.