main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atlanta Chapter Heats Up Hotlanta

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by RosieWook, May 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Okay...tacky topic name, but I just wanted to thank everyone who was able to come, yesterday, to Vulkon. We had a great time and even found a couple more folks who were interested, as well! I know there were others who wanted to come, but weren't able to. But we'll give you some more chances.

We've decided that our next meeting will be held at Dave&Buster's off I-85 and Pleasant Hill on Saturday, June 23rd, from noon to 2pm. So mark your calendars! (More specifics on how to get to D&B's to follow as we get closer.)

Those of us who met yesterday, had some good discussions about what we'd like to do with the club. Suggestions included having movie festivals at people's homes, showing off collectibles and sharing information on how to find them around here, possibly supporting the 501st in their charity work, and just generally having fellow fans to discuss Star Wars with. Of course, we're open to any and all suggestions.

So, we look forward to anyone else who'd like to get in on the ground floor of the Atlanta Chapter. Since we have an Athens member already, we're open to those outside the Metro Area, as well.

If you're interested in getting e-mails about upcoming events, just leave a post up here.

2. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Congratulations on a successful meeting. I'd be interested in being on your email list -- you can add Hama@fanforce.net to your list. I don't know how many of them I can make it to (besides D*C), but you never know.

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I'm glad I got to make it to the meeting yesterday. It was nice to meet everyone. :)

As RosieWook said, we had great discussions about what we would like to see happen with the Atlanta chapter, as well as interesting conversations about movies, books, collectibles, Dragon*Con, and life in general. It was wonderful to be able to sit and talk with other Star Wars fans about anything and everything.

I cannot wait to see everyone I met yesterday at our next meeting, and I hope to see some new faces there, as well. :)

4. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    An e-mail group has been set up on http://groups.yahoo.com under the name AtlantaFanForce. If you're interested in joining, head on over or leave your e-mail address on this board and I'll enroll you.

This will be for discussions and meeting announcements. We'll also, of course, continue to have our discussions and meeting announcements here on these boards.

5. Joanzia

Joanzia Former FF Staff star 3 VIP

Oct 18, 2000
    It sounds like you had a great 1st meeting. Congratulations! Ya'll are well on your way now. Please continue to work with Hama and you will soon be an official chapter.

May The Force Be With You!!

6. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Greetings all! I too wanted to say how happy I was with the way our meeting turned out. Hama, can we get Rosiewooks info posted on the FanForce main board? We want to get our next meeting announcement out ASAP. I look forward to seeing everyone again and hopefully meeting some new people too! :cool:

7. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Advertising is a good thing.

The particulars, once again:
    Saturday, June 23rd
    Noon to 2pm
    Dave & Buster's
    4000 Venture Drive
    Duluth GA 30096

Off of I-85 and Pleasant Hill Road.

8. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    I'll post it ASAP.

EDIT: I took care of it. If you have more details or any updates, let me know.

9. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Thanks for getting the info posted Hama! :) Looks great.

Rosiewook, do we still have that list of names from Saturdays meeting? I think we should do an email announcement in the next week or so to the people who showed up from the 501st can make it (not sure how often they read the boards). Do you want me to email their main contact and send an invite out to their group as well? [face_mischief]

10. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Yes, I'll send out an e-mail to everyone who came to our meeting (although most are now on our group e-mail). If you could also invite the 501st, that would be great. They might want to come and either be a part of us, or get to know us for future endeavors.

Just a reminder. If you'd like to get on the group mail list, you need to go over to http://groups.yahoo.com and sign up for AtlantaFanForce. I will also be happy to enroll anyone who wants to post their address here or who wants to e-mail me directly at PRosenb@aol.com

11. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Thanks for posting the Yahoo! Groups info. I didn't see it posted on this topic. Anyhow, I will contact the 501st about coming down to the meeting. I'll let them know that while we aren't a costuming group, we are interested in "playing" with other fans and helping out as wranglers. I am really getting excited about getting our little group going. :cool:

12. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    I'm REALLY looking forward to our next meeting!

Jace and RosieWook, if you guys need help with anything, please let me know. I'd be glad to be of some assistance. :)

13. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I'm with you Minacia. Seems almost too long to wait. I say we start looking at deciding who our City Coordinator is going to be as well. This meeting is definitely going to get us more organized and start preparing some activities regularly. Maybe we can find a pub or something that will let us have meetings regularly. Think we could convince some fine cantina to let us show the movies in the background when we meet?

14. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Okay, so I'm bored right now. And obsessed with getting this group rolling. First off, I sent an email to the 501st Stormtrooper group. Waiting for a response on that. I also started thinking of agenda items for tne next meeting. Here are a few:

1. Setup a monthly meeting schedule
    2. Nominate City Coordinator (voting at the July meeting).
    3. DragonCon planning (let's invite all FanForce attendees to go out for dinner or drinks).
    4. Monthly "socials" - let's share our collections, watch movies, play SW trivial pursuit.
    5. Collectible outings - who wants to go find SW goodies around town?
    6. Holiday Celebrations - Wookie Cookies and the SW Holiday Special (how's that for gruelling torture)
    7. The Indy Celebration - Let's plan a caravan/carpool to the coolest event next to Ep. II opening!
    8. Episode II - The mother ship has arrived! Do we want to start an "official" line to get on board?

Just a penny for your thoughts. Feel free to add to this list or take away. Remember, we only need 3 meetings and we're there as a chapter. :cool:

15. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Good thoughts, Jace. At this point, I can't think of anything to add to your activity list.

My thinking has been more along the lines of making things fair to everyone's travel time. This town has some serious traffic headaches (I'm sure this surprises everyone). We need to find a way to either rotate the misery by changing sites all over town, or finding a neutral place in either Downtown or Midtown to meet. (I never eat out, so we need someone with some savvy to take on this task.)

Something I've done with another group is to rotate meetings at everyone's homes so that they eventually get one meeting where they don't have to travel. If they don't want folks at their home (for whatever reason), they find another place to meet.

Let's keep brainstorming. See what other ideas come out.

16. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Your agenda for our next meeting gets a thumbs up from me, Jace! :D

Now, on to the subject of where to meet.

For starters, maybe we should get a rough idea of where everyone lives. Having that information might make it easier to decide which route to take. And it would also help us to find a good central meeting place OR to set up a fair site rotation system, once we decide which of these options will work best for our group.

What do you guys think?

17. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Well, I know that meeting at Dave & Buster's is convenient based on who turned up at the first meeting. I think maybe we could switch locations each month. There is a D&B on 75 North as well. We could just switch off each month. I noticed some people posting earlier saying they lived in Kennesaw and parts of Cobb County. That might be a good alternative. Any other thoughts?

18. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    That could work for our general meetings to switch off as we do have folks who live in Kennesaw and Marietta. Great idea!

Does D&B's have a more quiet place to meet, like a function room? I've never been to one. But places that have the games, and such, tend to be pretty loud. Fun for goofing off, not easy when trying to share things as a group.

19. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    That is a good idea, Jace. I had forgotten that we have folks in the Cobb Co. area.

RosieWook, I've never been to a D&B either, so I'm not sure if they have 'quieter' section in which to meet or not. I could always go scout the place out--it would give me the perfect excuse to go check out the games. ;)

20. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Dave & Buster's has an actual dinning area away from the games. During the evenings, it can be a little loud, but we should be okay during the afternoons. You can also eat and get alcoholic beverages in the game area. We should be okay for meeting there. As we get bigger, this will be a plus for us. During lunch hours, the dinning area is virtually empty. There is plenty of room to spread out. Then, people who want to game can go and such after we meet. Other than meeting at a library, there aren't too many public places that can hold a large group to meet for free.

21. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Okay, next question (and probably pretty dumb, at that). Do you need to make reservations? Does D&B even take reservations?

These are things we must think about. (BTW...I'll be back online on Tuesday. Heading out of town for pleasure/business.)

22. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    As far as I know, D&B doesn't require reservations. Once we get to a larger group, it might be neccessary. I can make them for us though (in fact, I'll do that this weekend). Yet again, it will be under the "Skywalker Party". Have a safe trip. I'll be out of town myself this upcoming week. I might even get the chance to meet Hama in Nashville! B-(

23. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Is "B-(" the smiley you intended? :cool:

24. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    [face_blush] That was exactly what I was trying to type. LOL! Sorry about that.

25. Gen. Madine's Hairpiece

Gen. Madine's Hairpiece Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 1, 2000
    I really wish I could have met y'all at your meeting. I had a wedding to go to. How about having a future one at D&B here in Marietta? I'd love to host!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.