main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Australian politics] And here we go again...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Katana_Geldar, Feb 22, 2012.

1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No surprises there on Rudd, but I think all he's done is mitigate the loss of all those seats. I think the Libs will return to government, albeit with less of a landslide than it would have under Joooolya. The electorate just can't believe that the issues are due to the leader and there's a bunch of competent people there hamstrung by the behavior at the top.

themetresgained likes this.
  3. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I agree pretty much. Unless Rudd can build off that improved primary vote the Coalition (currently 52-48 2PP in favour according to Galaxy) are still heading for a close-but-comfortable win.

In other news, Combet will retire at the next election as well. Pity - I thought he'd make a good alternative to Shorten as a future leader, oh well.

4. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Oh, Newspoll. I went on a self-imposed poll ban but now that Rudd's back I just can't miss this *popcorn*

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  6. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
  7. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Will I get fined for not voting?

8. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    If you're registered, yes you will be (unless you can provide a good reason why you didn't vote).

Good news though - thanks to the election date Gruen Nation will be back on the air next week. Plus the guys on The Hamster Wheel (formerly The Chaser) :)

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    That's about the only good thing about the impending election.

10. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    At least it's happening even earlier than Gillard's original planned date - the thought of it dragging into October (or even November) was just despairing.

11. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
  12. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I'm not looking forward to choosing between a tennis player and a sexist in my seat. Siiigh. I think I'll vote informally in the lower house.

13. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    Surely there's more than just 2 candidates in your electorate?

It's not up and running at the moment, but the AEC website should eventually provide details on all candidates standing in any electorate you search for - just need to find your electorate, see who's running, then follow them back to their homepages and read their policies and make a choice.

(I did this at the last election, and for the 1st time avoided the major parties and instead went for an independent (House of Reps) and Secular Party (Senate). I intend to follow this method again this time)

14. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    It's compulsory preferential. Regardless of whom I put first (and it's a pretty conservative electorate so I'm not holding my breath for any decent minor party candidates, just the same old Christian Democrats/Family First rubbish) I have to direct my preference flows to one of those two.

15. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    Put them last - there's no guarantee that the major 2 will get in. That's how Wilkie won his electorate in the last election (had a good strong polling which pushed him to #2, so all the Lib/Nat voters who preferenced him over Labor pushed him up to #1).

Granted, compulsory preferential voting is a curse on the electoral system at the federal level. :mad:

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Are we In the same electorate?

Champion of the Force likes this.
  17. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Given that there's only one tennis player in Parliament, I'm gonna go with yes? It's a marginal and will probably be a bellwether from now on.

18. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    It used to be a safe liberal seat.

19. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    And North Sydney, where Joe Hockey is firmly ensconced with a 14% margin, was a completely swing seat only 20 years ago and in fact held by an independent for a couple of decades. It doesn't take much of a shifting demographic to alter the electoral landscape, as Labor were rudely shocked with last election.

20. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    This is a bit nuts. You wrote an essay that I loved and now I find out that you live within a few k's of me :p

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Just found a nugget of Australian politics. LGBT refugees arriving in Australia will be sent to Papua New Guinea, where they'll be imprisoned for 14 years just for being gay. It does say that refugees won't be transferred until there is appropriate accommodation and appropriate circumstances for everyone who is sent, which to me would mean 'not until being gay is no longer illegal', but that's probably optimistic of me. On the other hand, 14 years in prison could be better than what they're fleeing from, so the risk of being in prison could be worth it if the alternative is death.

Link: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/...-papua-new-guinea-despite-anti-gay-laws300713

22. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I don't know how much this impacts politics, but I just read that Ford is going to cease all local production of vehicles? The Falcon has been continuously produced just outside of Melbourne for the last 56 years. While the Falcon is probably the most well known, it includes all models. The report cites the fact that production costs are 10x higher in Australia than in Asia, and between 2-3x higher than Europe. Not to beat a dead horse since she's out of office, but Gillard gave a rather clueless statement about how despite the shut down, auto production is still viable, despite over 1200 jobs being lost.

So, I guess if the oil wars ever do happen, Max will be out of luck:

[​IMG]

Or at the very least, he won't seem so mad if all he has to ride is a bicycle. Or maybe he'll go find a Commodore SS?

23. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Don't worry, there's still plenty of old 1970s XB Falcon Coupes around Mr44 and even a few Interceptor replicas. I'm sure they can be compulsorily acquired if the need arises. Abbott will probably put a few into service to help "stop the boats". Apparently being a Rhodes Scholar doesn't empower you with the ability to think or articulate ideas beyond three words. I'm definitely going to sit this election out and just cop my fine.

24. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Bob Carr has been asked point-blank about this - LGBT boat people will still be sent for PNG with no regard for the fact that their sexuality is criminalised. This in spite of the fact that there have been some LGBT people from PNG claim asylum here in Australia on the grounds of persecution for their sexuality...

25. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    :( :( :(