main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Battlestar Galactica 2005 discussion thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Ulkesh2, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I think it retails for 50-60 dollars.

2. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Man.. I just need to win the lotto or find me a rich Sugar Daddy so I can get all the Geeky Stuff I want.

3. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    OK people tonight is episode 2 of the second season. It looks to be a max-arse-kicker.

4. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    Pretty cool episode! Col. Tigh is turning into one of my favorite characters. I also thought that Apollo had some good moments on the show.

Question, will the UK Version of BG at Best Buy work on my little Region One DVD player?

Peace,

Edric

5. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Wonder what the difference is betwixt the U.S. version and the U.K. version. Other than whenever they take a British idea and redo it for an American audience the suits have to dumb it down considerably so's us hickerbillys kin unnerstands it.

6. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Yeah generally speaking the Redcoats version will be classier than the Yankee version. The Redcoats have a better grasp of what makes a 'meaty' story. The Redcoats tend to be more captivated by substance and parallelism of a story. While we Yankees are more in tune with celebrity antics. We Yankees like glamorous fluff n'stuff. One of the differences between the UK version of BG and the US version of BG is the music. The opening theme in the UK version has more war drum elements to it. Plus the UK version does not shy from the more controversial moments. For example in the US pilot episode a serious effort was taken to censor Six crushing the infant's neck. Censoring this tough sequence would have robbed the revised BG of some of it's narrative punch. The Redcoats never batted an eye and saw this sequence for what it means. Plus the US version only suggests things. The UK version most likely will allow things to play out. Such as sex between characters.

7. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Hey folks got my BG first season DVD set! Get'em while they're hot!

8. Mr_Self_Destrukt

Mr_Self_Destrukt Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Crushing the infants neck? I don't remember that. What are the differences between the USA/UK versions?

9. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It was in the 2 hour Pilot openerbeginning movie. Six is walking through town on Caprica, and comes across a woman with a baby, and asks to hold it. The mom lets her for a moment, then takes it back and lays it in the stroller. The mom gets distracted, and Six looks it over again commenting on how amazing it is that such a fragile thing as an infant's neck can hold up something as large as it's head. Then she snapped the baby's neck and walked away.

10. Mr_Self_Destrukt

Dec 29, 2004
    Looks like we have another new Cylon!

11. Darth_TKD

Darth_TKD Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2002
    I liked that twist at the end. I wasn't terribly impressed by the episode until that twist (it just seemed too much like a couple of B5 episodes). Making the reporter a cylon was a terrific idea.

12. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I really dug the original theme song in the end... when the guy was mopping the floor [face_whistling] and then it went into the full blown theme I got all tingly. [face_love] They hadn't played it since the mini series fly-by scene.

13. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Got some major spoilers to share with those willing to read them. These spoilers revolve around the tenth episode of the second season.

14. TC517

May 14, 2001
    Send 'em to me, especially if they aren't on the gallactica station yet!

15. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Friday (Sept 23) is the tenth episode of the second season. SF Channel will then make us wait for the rest of season 2. The rest of season 2 will be shown in January 2006. This tenth episode is a WOW story. I won't say anything further. However those well versed in the classic BG will be pleasantly surprised.

16. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    OH YEAH !!! It's will be a long wait for the second part...(sigh)

17. TC517

May 14, 2001
    There was soooo much stuff in this episode that we hadn't seen yet.
    A different style of music, new plot lines, new character development!!!! WOW!!!!

By the way and way off topic, but for those of you that just bought the DVDs, look at the scene right before Lee and the Pres leave behind all the ships without FTLs... cruising from right to left on the screen are 3 colonial Vipers! How did they get there or am I just seeing things?

18. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Hi.

Haven't been around much because of a lot of things going on.

I was looking forward to the tenth episode. Notice, I said was. I'll reserve all my judgment until I see how the story arc works out; however...and I hope this is spoiler free...

I WAS APALLED AND DISGUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least they had the common sense to put a parental disclaimer on.

Edric

19. TC517

May 14, 2001
    I agree, but that was the point. The whole episode you sit there and hate what you are seeing, but that is what they want you to think.

I think this episode accomplished its goal better than any yet. In 33, I had a sense that they crew was tired... but in this one, I felt thier anger and dislike.

20. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Episode 10 is based on a old saying...

What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

We've seen Cylon atrocities.

We've seen Human atrocities.

Both sides are capable of some dastardly acts. Neither side is really the 'good guy' or the 'bad guy'. Both sides show contradiction in this matter.

This episode perhaps more than any other so far proves my point. Baltar's reaction is I think OUR reaction. He is the stand in character for the viewing audience. So what is he thinking as he sits supported by the wall next to a copy of his lover? A copy that is cut, broken, raped, and possibly dying?

Oh did you happen to just for a moment forget that this thing that looks like a woman is a Cylon product? As you should! It is a hurt being. No matter it's origins or what it may or may not have been an agent of. Whether it be Cylon or Human does not matter.

My guess is this may be one of the strongest catalysts for Baltar leaving his Humanity behind in favor of being a devout believer in the Cylon god. To siding with the the children of Humanity against the 'parent'. If so then Baltar is following a more realistic course toward what the classic Baltar did in the original TV series.

21. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Good Points.

I'm still appalled and disgusted.:mad:

I was just hoping it would be more of a fun little adventure with two Battlestars going against a much larger Cylon Fleet.

If I want to watch something with gritty realism and attrocities, I'll just watch the news.

I really, REALLY miss the days of good, fun sci-fi.

Oh, well.:(

Edric

22. TC517

May 14, 2001
    Don't give up yet... good ol sci-fi will come back around. ]-}

If Dancing with the Stars can be popular, then it proves that anything can make it on TV if you wait long enough. :)

23. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I liked that lil nod to the original series, the theme song...the "waggle" wings...stuff fans can pick up on without getting in the way of the story.

24. Mr_Self_Destrukt

Dec 29, 2004
    Admiral Cain is a hard-ass!

If I were Adama I'd rip the Pegasus a new anus.

I do wonder what the new Cylon ship is? Sharon didn't seem to quick to answer like she has been in the past.

Ulkesh, does "Ressurection (sic)ship" have any meaning when in terms with the original series?

25. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I hear yah Steve-o, it really isn't happy feel good sci-fi anymore is it? Janeway isn't driving the boat this time, Bud.
    (sigh)
    Poor Edric, even the new Star Wars movie was depressing (even if we all saw it coming).
    However, I think this is really great, thought provoking, sci-fi drama. I can not remember a show ever that produced such great conversations; from real world topics like the war and civil liberties, to the show and who is or is not a robot. It is gitting folks talking about sci-fi again, and that (Trying to come up with a feel good moment for Edric) could be the happy feel good moment.
    For all the fun with spoilers we had the past several years, really we all knew what would happen with Ani and Obi. In this show, we don't. So we get to make it up, like we did over twenty years ago on the playground with our Star Wars Marvel comics (I said that Boba Fett would end up being Solo's long lost brother).

Did that work Edric? No. It was a try anyway.
    MTFBWY
    Jammies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.