main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ BDO 2005

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Channel Z just released the 3rd and final list of bands playing at the Big Day Out.

3rd Announcement 8 December 2004:

8 FOOT SATIVA, DEJA VOODOO, THE PHOENIX FOUNDATION, REVOLVER, THE MINT CHICKS, THE HAVE, 48 MAY, ROGER PERRY, PITCH BLACK, SJD, GREG CHURCHILL, MATT CLARKE, FAST CREW, FRONTLINE, BREAKIN WRECKWORDZ, THA FEELSTYLE, FOOTSOULJAHS, 4 CORNERS, THE FANATICS, CHUGANAUT (starting BDO off, winner of Little Day In?), MONEY MARK, KID KOALA, RISE AGAINST, R2D2 and EVERMORE.

2nd Announcement

SLIPKNOT, SCRIBE, CARL COX, REGURGITATOR, JON SPENCER BLUES EXPLOSION, LE TIGRE, THE HIVES, THE POLYPHONIC SPREE, ATMOSPHERE, KID 606, HATEBREED, DECEPTICONZ FEAT MAREKO & SAVAGE, BEXTA, DIMMER, PLUTO, SHAPESHIFTER, DEI HAMO, P MONEY, THE CHECKS, DJ SIRVERE

1st Announcement

BEASTIE BOYS, SYSTEM OF A DOWN, CHEMICAL BROTHERS, THE MUSIC, THE STREETS, THE DONNAS, FREESTYLERS, POWDERFINGER, GRINSPOON, JOHN BUTLER TRIO, CONCORD DAWN, MISFITS OF SCIENCE, THE BLEEDERS, TRINITY ROOTS, The D4, STERIOGRAM, SHIHAD

So, who is going?
    Anyone got a ticket yet?
    What is the cost this year?

Might be the last time to see the Beastie Boys, so I might be keen, but I can't afford a ticket just yet and ticket sales stop at the end of Dec, right?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    That's RJD2.

The Beastie Boys are really the only act there that are 'must see' for me. So if I don't score a comp this time, I think I'll be at Dave Dobbyn at the Auckland Zoo instead.

And tickets are available until they sell out. Given 05's relatively weak line up, I'd assume that will be well into January.

3. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I was going to go but ticket prices + trip to aussie next year for karate= no go at the moment.

4. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    interestingly, the Sydney one has already sold out. I have two free tickets and a corporate box to sit in this year (smirk) so I'll go along, although to be honest I think it's probably the worst line up ever. In my opinion The Beastie Boys are a spent force, in that it now takes them 6 years to make an album which sounds exactly like the last one. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing feminist indie-rock combo Le Tigre, The Donnas, and The Polyphonic Spree.

5. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Totally agree. Lineup sucks, IMO. Probably because I can't spot a decent indie/emo/art-rock band in there at all, save Polyphonic Spree and Le Tigre. And the Donna's, despite their sultry appeal (especially the surly guitarist) can't justify my forking out over 100 bones on a ticket.

Having that been said, I usually score media box entry due to mates in the industry and if I can get either a free (had the last two BDO's at no charge) or very cheap ticket, I'll go, but nothing really grabs me and I can see all the NZ bands anytime.

I'd heard rumors of Sparta, The Libertines, Jimmy Eat World, Velvet Revolver and even good ol' Interpol - even one of those bands would of justified it for me.

6. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, it would have been nice to have some other higher profile bands, but I'm just thinking it might be the last time to see the Beastie Boys...

But I'm the same, I've never been to a BDO and can't really justify the money, esp being broke.

//shrugs//

JP, what's the Dave Dobbyn thing at the Zoo? Sounds more appealing really. Gig, or you just going to see the monkey's with him? ;)

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    21 January - 5 March 2005

Come to Auckland Zoo and hear some of the hottest Kiwi music this summer, in a series of six twilight concerts.

Nesian Mystik, Goodshirt, and Katchafire are amongst the acts featuring in ASB ZooMusic, which kicks off with a concert by Dave Dobbyn on Friday 21 January. You can also hear great guest artists at all these evening concerts (from 6pm - 9pm).

It's summer! Many of the Zoo animals will still be active, so come early for a stroll around the Zoo, or a picnic dinner. If you don't feel like bringing your own, purchase dinner from Dawin's Caf or the barbecues near the Band Rotunda, or pre-order a Zoo Hamper from Darwin's Caf (phone 09 360 5261). Fully licensed bar facilities will be operating in the Zoo grounds.

Nesian Mystik, hooked up by FLAVA 96.1 and hosted by Stacey Daniels, will perform the final ASB ZooMusic concert on Saturday 5 March. You can also check out the group of graffiti artists producing a wall of art during the evening's performance. The Nesian Mystik and Goodshirt concerts are part of the citywide AK05 arts festival.

Tickets for ASB ZooMusic, already selling fast, can be purchased through Ticketek or from Auckland Zoo. Tickets at $20 for adults, $15 students or seniors, $10 for children four years and over, or a three-concert pass for $50. (Ticketek: www.ticketek.co.nz)

Dobbley's also doing a concert with Brooke Fraser 7 Lucid 3 at Western Springs (Park I think, not stadium) on Jan 9.

8. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Sounds fun. If you get a ticket, get me one and I'll put some cash in your bank account. I'd be keen!

I'm not a fan of Broke Fraser. I find myself switching the channel fast if one of her songs comes on. //shrugs// I think she's overrated. Lucid 3 would be good though.

Might go into the Dux de Lux tonight for a quiet beverage a game of pool and to see WBC and Stylus 77 play. $10 at the door. I've seen / heard some of WBC's songs and an 8 piece band with trumpets and stuff... not bad Stylus is quite good too. Might take my flatmate and get away from our other flatmate for a night or something :p

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Will probably just get tickets on the door (avoids hassles if it's pissing down), so if you want to tag along with us in early Jan to Springs / Zoo, cool.

10. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    :)

Went to the Dux de Lux for a few Blue Ducks and to see Stylus 77 and The WBC.

Stylus77 was like a cross between incubus and salmonella dub, but no dub, if you can get that? Was really good. The lead singer was about to start the 2nd song and goes, "oh, we're just making the video for this next song now. I had to get brown makeup put on my feet cause they weren't brown enough to be Maori. Don't know why I told you that, but kai-ora." (he was maori btw :p)

Guess you had to be there, but damn funny. The kia-ora was quite a "put on" one, so it made it halarious.

The WBC was cut short, bloody dux licence ran out and it was only 11:20pm and they said if they played another song, they'd pull the plug. GHEY! They went off, I really enjoyed it and Emma and Alex (my flatmate and her sister) really enjoyed it too which was good. Wasn't sure if they knew any 'Scar' but na, a real good night!

:D

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    So that's what your uncomprehendable TXT was about last night!

12. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah i received the drunken txts as well!

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Mine says

Stylus77 goin awesum at the dux, wbc shud b awesum!

Just what I need to know at 10pm on a Thursday night.

What, did he think I would catch a flight down to try and catch the end of wbc's set?

14. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    ahhh ... I also recieved said txt. I wondered what the heck it was all about.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    OK. Hands up if you didn't receive that text from SFL.

16. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    *raises hand*

for the record - 027 577 8255. now we can all get boozed txt spam...

17. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    //rolls eyes//

Cheers Reuben, I'll input that and let you in on it in the future. :p

I should appologise to Solo. With a name "Addis" he was top on my list in contacts and got a couple of drunken "mis-rings". Now "dad" is as most frequent call on my new cell so is first to be called when mis-rings occur". He thought I had crashed my car into a river one time. :p

NB: I wasn't drunk you ungreatful buggers. I wont text any of ya's then, EVER! Except solo to brag about hot girls or good times as he's coming home from work at late hours. haha!

18. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Wow Went out for a after karate grading dinner tongiht, and all the black belts got me dunk , I ended up spending like 60$ on drinks, I just got home, ou would think they would be more responsable.

Peace Out

19. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Just found out my g.f. is getting me a ticket to the BDO for xmas! :) :)

And the even better part is shes not goin so it'll be a Boys day Out! [face_dancing]

20. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Classic, she's a keeper :p ;)

So, you better get in contact with me when you get up there!

21. KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK

KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    X-air is in Well's this year and it's a free event... Sad to see it go free as it won't be the same as all the years it was in the 'Tron. Good times.

22. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    BDO - 3 more sleeps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm going to Dave Dobbyn at the Zoo instead.

24. qweiop2000

qweiop2000 Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2005
    this is going to be a great bdo anyone meeting up?

25. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Hopefully meeting up with SFL the night after.....if i'm still standing.

Gonna be huge, i'm driving up to Aucks tonight after work (from welly) so will get there in the early hours of the morning. Then couple of hours sleep and then hittin the booze around 8am. Hopefully will be able to last the day, well i will with the help of some herbal friends.............. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.