main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Beer: The Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by darthgoat, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    So last night we were talking Beer and decided it'd be a good idea to exchange notes about what we've been drinking recently.

I've been into a lot of off beat stuff in the last few weeks.

Chimay Grande Reserve - This is an GREAT beer. It has a really nice flavor some citrus accents and a touch of hops make it delicious. Be warned it runs $10 a bottle but that is a pint and a half. Goblet recommended for maximum enjoyment!

Founders Centennial IPA - Another great beer. It is an IPA so expect TONS of hoppy goodness.

Great Divide's Yeti - This one holds the title of one of the best beers ever. It is a stout and finishes with a delicious bit of caramel flavor. Highly recommended.

2. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    You need to hook up with the Beer Nerd at Capricon. At some point in the night he and his buddy have a themed beer tasting in their room and they're both like total beer nerds and explain all the technical stuff that goes into each beer. It's fun....and IT'LL GET YA DRUNK!

D'

3. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    I suggest

ROOT BEER WORLD

[image=http://www.root-beer.org/Root_Beer.gif]

http://www.root-beer.org/modules.php?name=Brands&rbop=Brand&bid=81:D

Old Dutch,

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/MusicTrooper/DSC08627.jpg]

was my favorite back in the day......

but I would not mind giving the beer at Goose Island a try,

[image=http://www.rootbeerreviews.com/brews/images/gooseisland.jpg]

4. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I've had many a beer and conversation with that guy at past caps. He knows his stuff!

5. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Thanks for the tip Bosh.

well I tried FAT Tire last night. I liked it. Though my beer choices so far have been limited.

6. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    Fat Tire is a decent beer.

I wish there were more micro breweries (sp?) around my place. Alot of times those beers can surprise you. Like when I was in Indy this past weekend, we went to this place called The Ram (which after looking at the website there is one in Shaumburg and Rosemont, so I might have to take a drive when I gots some extra cash) and their Blonde and Big Red weren't bad at all. I'm not a huge fan of red beers, but I liked this one, and I like alot of lighter beers.....can't do the heavy stuff.

7. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    I have been to the RAM, in Wheeling....pretty cool place.

Have also been to the one in INDY as well:)

No alcohol for me, but good food, and an ok place in general.

8. The Lurker

The Lurker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 1999
    Anybody go to Goose Island?

9. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Goose Island has some good beers....and some that taste like poo. But, it's always fun to try their different seasonal ones. I used to be friends with several of their employees and used to get lots of freebiers.
    Down here Shiner is the Goose Island of Central Texas...but it's piss in comparison.

Some of those new Fat Tire spin-offs are OK, though I find the original to be a little syrupy. Stay away from the Blue Moon spin-off, Full Moon, it is ass.

D'

10. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    I have, that is why I posted about the

Goose Island

Root Beer above:D

11. Fett402

May 3, 2005
    BTW Bosh....I might need to talk to you about Texas....I'm looking to move...

BTW everyone here....I'm looking to move!

Edit: Maybe should have put this in another thread......oh well..... ;)

12. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    The Fat Tire I had at the Blue Frog was quite good. Miller Lite is my go-to beer but I'm also a fan of micro-brew. The Rocket-something we had at C3 from the Rock Bottom Brewery was great. It tasted better since we drank it out in the hallway of our hotel rooms among fellow geeks.

13. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Rocketsauce! That stuff was pretty good!

Fett: Moving? Say it ain't so!!!!

14. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Fett: If you're going to move to Texas, the ONLY place worth moving to (unless you're going to make so much money that living in a $#1t-hole like Houston or Dallas will be compensated)....is Austin. If you like small po-dunk redneck towns, then pretty much the rest of the state is wide open to you. Austin is the only place with a decent climate and lots of fun (cheap) things to do. Great place for movie and music geeks. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer Chicago...if you have a choice, stay there. But, I'm not lying when I say that life doesn't exist for a thousand miles outside of this burg. If you do decide to come here, I can help you find a place, job, nerd collective etc.

Beer: I think the only mass-produced domestic that I can drink regularly is Sam Adams. Most of their recipes tend to be drinkable IMHO. Fat Tire's only advantage over SA is that it'll get you in party-mode cheaper & faster.
    What I REALLY HATE is how many of the good world beers like Sapporo & Fosters (which I've drank at the source) are produced in Canada, don't taste half as good and then sold in the US under import prices (HELLO!! NAFTA!!). If I want Canandian beer I'll drink a Moosehead.

D'

15. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I bought a bottle of this based on the name. I'm pretty sure it is going to suck. The last beer I bought based on name was a Belgian beer called Lucifer. I thought, "yeah that is pretty metal it should be good!" Two sips and out it went. It was awful. Tasted like Budweiser. Total fail.

In the fridge right now:
    The Yeti
    Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale (another Founder's Product)
    Founder's Centennial IPA
    Merlin Ale (Another based on the label buy)
    Some other crazy IPA that is 11%

16. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Do they still make "HeBrew", God's chosen beer? It was a novelty microbrew about a decade ago, but I recall some people claiming it was actually pretty good.

Of course, these were the days when we thought vodka, rum, coke and goldschlager mixed well together...

-Le Penguin
    "and now I got diarrhea"

17. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    They do! I see it at places all the time. Never tried it though.

18. Fett402

May 3, 2005
    I wish I remember all the beers I tried when I went to The Yard House when I lived up north. They have a VERY large selection... I really liked the Red Hook Blonde, and you can never go wrong with the Rouge Dead Guy.

19. The Lurker

The Lurker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 1999
    ah - i saw just saw root beer and kept scrolling [face_blush] :p one of these days i should try their other sodas too

I recently made it up to chippewa falls for the leine tour. they had a creamy dark lager that i thought was very good but cannot seem to find it outside wisconsin borders :confused:

20. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
  21. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    That Devastator from Wasatch sounds awesome.

Also:
    Best label ever.

I am dying to get a hold of some of that!!!

22. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    I went to the Ram last year for Father's Day and they had a special where it was 6 beers, 4 oz. each for like 12 bucks. It went from light to a dark lager, to, I kid you not, chocolate. I seriously almost did a record for projectile vomit. Two great tastes of chocolate and beer should never, ever be put together.

23. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I beg to differ.

Young's Chocolate Stout is most excellent. The chocolate has to be pretty understated and be accompanied by something else, often coffee flavor. If there is too much chocolate flavor, you're 100% right, it is nasty.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we used to drink this Vanilla Cream Ale all the time about 3 years back. Man it was delicious. Prairie Rock made it. Trouble was we drank way too much of it. Way too much. The smell of the stuff was enough to make us sick. I'm soured on that stuff forever.

Personally, I find the RAM to be pretty hit or miss. Their food is rather average IMHO. The beer seems like standard microbrew beer. That is not to say that it is bad by any means. I just don't recall anything being outstanding there.

Mark what was that bar by us that had 30 beers on tap that you mentioned? I'm pretty sure you were the one that mentioned it.

24. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    I've heard good things about this Chocolate Stout, but haven't been able to find my way to buying any. There are just so many bad flavored beers.

25. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    30 beers on tap? I don't think that was me. But the bar Megan and I fell in love with is Galvin's, which has a number of Irish ales, some on tap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.