main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR BETA players.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Only-One Cannoli, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    A Data collection agency that sends out surveys known as Magid has teamed with SWTOR to send out surveys to see if people qualify. If you fill out the survey and you qualify you get into beta. It's still a luck of the draw.

From what I hear there is another round of testing that will last several weeks starting here VERY shortly.

You basically have to know someone or be very lucky at this point to get in. They are inviting more and more people now but still with probably half a million people signed up for Beta, they can't let everyone in.

I can't CONFIRM anything and no one really can by showing you pictures or anything because that would break the NDA. So the only confirmation you are going to get is peoples word that they are in Beta as that is all they are allowed to say.

2. xAnthony_Skywalkerx

xAnthony_Skywalkerx Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for the detailed explanation bro...even though you ARE a sith lord, I still appreciate your prompt response and great explanation

3. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    np :)

4. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    One of the members of my FanForce signed up for the Beta, got the Beta invite, then promptly TURNED IT DOWN, saying he didn't want to be spoiled and would wait for the game to come out. WTF, dude, WTF.

Yes we screamed at him.

5. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Wow... just... wow.[face_plain]

6. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Apparently European testing is starting soon [face_dancing]

7. BasharGelion

BasharGelion Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2011
    I haven't gotten the call to be a game tester yet, but as a member of a SW:TOR fansite I was one of about 30 people invited by BioWare Austin to be flown down to the studio and play the game, talk with the devs, and check out where they make the magic happen. After playing for approximately 9 hours total, including origin worlds, flashpoints, & warzones, I can honestly say you should not believe any of the people claiming it won't be good.

It's like the perfect fusion of Knights of the Old Republic and World of WarCraft. No one walked away from that experience saying, "Jeeze, guess I should just quit now." Everyone just wanted more. It'll be worth it.

8. DarthKasslar

DarthKasslar Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2011
    i signed on but no i haven't received any response back yet, it may take a while and i might not even get picked. as far as i know i dont think they have started the program yet though, i think there just picking beta testers for when the time comes

9. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Well, BioWare did say that they have over 1.5 MILLION unique emails that signed up for the Beta testing, and if the game is coming this November as many suspect (thanks Razor!) there should be at least a closed completed beta build and an open completed beta build before the game comes out.

Hopefully.

I beta tested the Lego Universe game so I know a bit about how betas work. For those thinking that they can carry their toons into the retail release, bad news, its always ALWAYS a clean wipe between builds. We didn't even get early access to the retail version either (although if you had a LEGO store near you you had a 2 week early entry)

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    A co-worker of mine is in the beta, he said it's pretty much World of Warcraft with lightsabers. I was hoping for the more open ended sandbox approach of SWG but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've heard so far.

11. BasharGelion

BasharGelion Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2011
    If you haven't read Mike Krahulik's review of TOR Testing, you should. He's known as Gabe over at Penny Arcade.

Also, we address why and even if TOR is like WoW on our latest episode of Mos Eisley Radio.

In a nutshell, would you say that Halo and Call of Duty are exactly the same, just with different guns? Then why do MMORPG's have to be radically different to be worth playing? In this case, TOR and WoW are quite different while still retaining the elements that make up great MMO's. Their combat interface is similar but far from identical. Also, with World of Warcraft having gotten so much technically right in their first iteration in the MMO sphere, how could Bioware not look at all the success they've had and try to take what works and discard what doesn't?

12. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I also signed up for the Beta back when sign-ups first started, but alas never got an invite (i checked my email like 66 times a day :p)

The weird part was i somehow got invited to the RIFT beta testing. Not even sure how, and actually in hindsight am kinda kicking myself cause i really ignored it. Had no idea what RIFT was, but it looks like i was chosen for my graphics card.

That's, like, the only BETA testing i've ever actually been invited too.

13. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    My Buddy is in the Beta right now and loves it...He is a Vanilla WoW guy and said that depending on how the end game content is handled (most players right now are running around lvl 20, so no one has seen any of the end game content)it might just make him put down WoW forever...which for him is huge...He said there are soo many cool features and a ridicolous amount of gear to be had....After talking with him I am even more exicted than I was before.

14. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I'm in the beta now. Can't wait to give this a shot.

15. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    There's a new phase of the beta happening and I am in it.

16. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    July 20th they are supposed to take down the servers to upload a new build. Any new testers selected would probably have already gotten the invites by now. If not, be sure to check your emails lol.

17. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    With the release of the pre-orders, they casually let slip the opening of "Beta weekends" in September. So that might be the best chance for getting in as I suspect its main purpose is for load testing their servers.

18. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    You guys know that even saying you are in beta gets you kicked out, right?

That being said, I was invited but it wouldn't download. I have a nice, clean computer but I got some random error. I emailed support and they just gave me generic responses like "clear your cookies" and "use IE"

I checked the forums a lot, lots of people had similar problems...there was no troubleshooting at all given. Not sure what to do, I just quit trying.

So, not impressed. I might have been excited at launch for this but I think I'm going to wait for reviews and maybe the first major patch.

This breaks the NDA, but information wants to be free, yo

19. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Actually, the game testing agreement expressly allows for beta testers to (a) disclose that there is a testing phase and (b) that you are a part of the testing phase.

20. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Part of the reason for Beta testing...to see what issues there are on different people's systems, including those related to downloading the launcher. :p

21. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    My hard drive failed and is gone after playing for a few hours

Hard to pin it on OR, but its a shame. I was enjoying it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.