main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books

Discussion in 'Archive: Dayton, OH' started by Jedi_Junkie, Mar 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Dude, I like, just had a totally cool idea! Since we all seem to be half-way intelligent people, and have way too much time on our hands...Why don't we all read Star Wars books? Together, as a Fan Force. Then when we have meetings, we can have something to talk about (maybe even argue if the mood strikes us! ;) ) at the meetings. And I'll bet Kim, and Gwen could even get into this!
    I think the Chicago fanforce is doing something similar to this, and I think it's a totally cool idea. We can broaden our horizons, for those of us who don't read the novels, and for those of us who have read books we can re-visit our favorites!! ... Just an idea that I hope has some follow through. :)

EDIT by Krash: turn the page

2. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I think that is an excellent idea! I am very much in favor of that, What does everyone else think of Sarah's idea?

3. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Since the topic of books came up I would just like to throw this one out there to the Dayton FF first. I have a near mint paperback Star Wars: X-Wing #6: Iron Fist available for anyone who wants it. I purchased it some time ago and only realized I already had a copy when I got home. So it's up for the taking, whomever is reading the X-wing series, you won't have to buy this one.

4. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Hey, I'd always appreciate another book! ... But I feel like such a moocher. <_<

5. PADA-1

PADA-1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2003
    Sounds cool, I just finished Tatooine Ghost which was great. Now I am going back in time so to speak and am reading the original trilogy, which is cool because the lines and some scenes aren't the same as the movies. There are a slew of New Jedi Order books being released this year if anyone is keeping up with that storyline.

6. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Tattoine Ghost is actually the next book I was planning on reading. But since Aaron has already read it what does everyone think for our first book?

7. corranhornjje

Jun 9, 2001
    If it ain't in paperback I ain't buying it. I'd have to borrow it from someone.

8. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I'm with Corran on the paper back thing. Unless the book is at the library I can't afford hard backs. I think maybe we should start our club at the beginning of Star Wars by reading A New Hope, first.

9. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    That sounds good to me. :)

10. corranhornjje

Jun 9, 2001
    I'm down with that too. It'd make me go out and finally buy the trilogy in paperback. Still the only novels I don't own. Besides Crystal Star that is. Junkie if you want the book I'll bring it next meeting. I'm not using it and it may as well go to a good home.

11. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    That'd be great, Jacob! And you don't have a copy of the Crystal Star? I have two, if you want one! Paperback, and hardback; mind they aren't in the best condition (but not the worst,either!), and the hardback is from a library book sale. But if you want one, you can have it. :D

12. corranhornjje

Jun 9, 2001
    I swore I'd never buy it, and maybe that I would never even display it, but if you're willing to give up the paperback I'll swap you for it. (shudders) I can't believe I'm letting Crystal Star into my home. ugggg. IMHO it's even worse than Splinter of the Mind's Eye and I own one of the first couple editions of that.

13. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Since we are talking about bad novels I figured I'd throw out Truce at Bakura to join the list as one of the worst novels ever.

14. corranhornjje

Jun 9, 2001
    So far Crystal Star is the only one I can't stand. All the others I've enjoyed to some degree. Low on my list is the Black Fleet Crisis but it definitely deserves a reread sometime in the future. Right now I'm going through the Tales from Jabba's Place book again. I love the stories that interact with the movies and gives you a glimpse into why people are where they are and what they're up to. Greatest concept in the SW universe to date for me.

15. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    The only books I really got into were the Han Solo trilogy books.

16. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Were those books that bad? I haven't read Crystal Star, Splinter, or Truce at Bakura. What was so terrible about them? I absolutely LOVED the Han Solo trilogy, definitely my favorite. One of these days I'll reread the trio, I never seem to reread any of my books.. And as soon as I finish The Fellowship I'll embark on A New Hope. :)

17. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Speaking of books, About 10 years ago when I lived in Virginia there was a Star Wars book at the local library that compared Star Wars to the Bible. It basically explained how Star Wars is stories from the bible and went into depth on what character symbolized what person/group of people from the bible. It was a very interesting book, but I have never ever seen it anywhere other than there and I was wondering if anybody else had ever read it or has seen a copy or knows where I could find it. And no unfortunately I don't know the name of it or the author.

18. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Oh, oh! I think I've seen a book (or maybe that book) very similar to that at the Downtown branch of the DaytonMetro library! I think I even checked it out once. o_O I don't think I actually read it, though... I also saw The Gospel of Harry Potter, too.

19. EMERALD_GREENE

EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Well, I wish you all good luck with your book club & hope you have as much fun with yours as we do at ours. As far as subpar books go, I agree with what you all have listed so far & would have to add 'Children of the Jedi'. I can hardly seem to choke my way through that one every time I read it. I just can't get behind the story line & it seemed rather confusing to me the first time I read it. Definately a hoser.

20. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Ok, Episode 4 it is! When everyone gets done reading it just post here that you finished and when everyone is done we will discuss it at the following meeting. I am a slow reader so i'll probably be the last one to get done. lol :)

21. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I'm a fairly quick reader if the book is good, and since it's a Star Wars I'm sure it will be.

I was so sure I had a newer copy of the trilogy kicking around the house, but all I can find are my mother's copy from the original release of the movies! I'm so irritated... This means I'll have to go.... shopping!! Not entirely a bad thing. ;)

22. corranhornjje

Jun 9, 2001
    Well I picked up the paperback version with all 3 novels in it. Hope they didn't trim them down or anything. I would doubt they'd do something like that though.

23. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Where did you pick it up at? And how much was it, Corran(I'm just so unsure of what to call you!)? One of these days I'll get to find my own copies..

24. corranhornjje

Jun 9, 2001
    I bought it at the BN at the Fairfield Mall. It's the closest one to me. They had 1 paperback and 1 hardcover left when I left. I think it was about $7. BN is notorious for selling books at cover price. That's why I love finding my books at Wal-Mart. They're usually $4-5 instead of 6.99, but they wouldn't carry a book that is that out of rotation. They did have the newest NJO one though. Always later than BN and since I'm all caught up I wanna read them right away. Also saw Tatooine Ghost there and read the first chapter and then a bit in the middle. I'll definitely wait for the paperback, that's all I'll say.

25. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I'm absolutely ticked off. Well, not ragingly ticked but.. Irritated. As a few of us know (or atleast should recall..), I am in the process of reading the Lord of the Rings. Well, I finally finished The Fellowship about last month sometime. So I went off and bought The Two Towers to read, I take it to school with me (like everything else I own...), and I suppose I forget under a desk. >_< I'm absent the next day, and the poor book stays the whole weekend at school! ... I don't notice it missing until Tuesday of the next week.. My great $6.00 investment had been stolen! -- I call it stolen because it had my name in it in big red letters.. and y'know.. It wasn't theirs... -- And more to the point, a Dayton Public student STEALING a BOOK?? That's like storm trooper actually blocking blasters! It just doesn't happen naturally..

Right so anyhow, now that I'm finished whining, I can finally say I'm around to reading ANH, and it's pretty darn good so far. Great language...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.