main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Browncoats, Hufflepuffs, and Red Shirts? The NSWFF OC Index! *New Challenge!*

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Woa! Okay! Okay! (I knew at least Nat would be rabid about it... :p )

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Yay, I'm excited!! I've already got some ideas floating around . . .

And excellent choice on SotM!! That's a great one :D

2. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    I've pushed back the entry due date to Veteran's Day (November 11th), because the Challenge Rules earlier in the thread "claim" there will be 4 weeks to write a challenge response (not the 2 I gave you), and because with about 3 days left, I haven't received ANY submissions yet.

Hope this helps some of you procrastinators - or am I just enabling? o_O

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    No, definitely helping!!

4. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Definitely helping. These past two weeks have been insane! I think I have written one chapter for one story...so yeah the deadline extension helps!

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I love how you're planning multiple stories and don't want to submit until you have multiple chapters and you've started writing, and I've picked my fandom and scene and that's it :p

6. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Oh I have my fandom, and my OC, but I have to make sure it coincides with my other OC story. I'm picky what can I say, I like to have stuff written and beta-ed before I post. i just haven't had the time to sit down and actually do it since my birthday!

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I hope you get time soon; I can't wait to read it!!

8. Wicked Witch of the West

Wicked Witch of the West Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2006
    It's odd, but I can't believe I'm blanking on making an OC in a non Star Wars fandom.

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :( I don't think I've seen any stories yet - I hope people get bitten soon!

10. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    I am very close to finishing mine.

Unfortunately circumstances beyond my control have limited my writing time.

Including NaNo but I will get it done!

11. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
  12. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay! I'm excited to read them :D

14. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Finished it, though not quite in time. It probably would've helped if I had noticed this challenge earlier than a few hours before the deadline [face_laugh]

Lazarus Hunger

15. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I missed the challenge. And I love creating OC's. Well, I'll definately be along for the second challenge. :D

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, yes. :* :* We all know about Ceil's OCs. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

If Nikk and Liz are anything to go by .... [face_dancing]

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I read all the entries and loved them! This was so much fun :D

18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    So, will there be a holiday challenge?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
  20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  21. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Okay kids, after ridiculous amounts of procrastination on my part, I can finally announce the winner of the inaugural NSW OC Challenge!

Please put your hands together for:

Lazarus Hunger by Exeter

=D= =D= =D=

As Teh Rulez states: The winner earns the right to assign the next challenge. That being said, knowing his EX-halted one as I do, and seeing as it might take a whighle...

"Well, I don't know - wait, what?"

"A Whighle."

"A While?"

"Yeah, a whighle."

"You mean a while."

"A whighle."

"A while."

"A whighle."

"A while."

"Brian, you're acting wheird!"

"Oh come on, that one doesn't even have an 'H' in it!"

Any way, I'll be conservative and set the due date for the next challenge for Jan. 15. 2011. (:eek: I know!)

[b]Discussion Topic:[/b]

[i]Writing verse in a new 'verse[/i]

Many of you (if not all) have been contributors on the SW Fanfic Boards (many of you for years now). We all know the challenges of writing OC driven stories in the GFFA, but what are some of the issues you might be running into writing in a different universe? How hard is it to develop OCs for a diffrent story? Feel free to reach beyond OC writing, and include any challenges just switching gears to begin with.

22. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I think that it's very hard to write an OC in any kind of fanfic because integrating an OC into a particular set storyline that has already been told is extremely difficult. Not only do you have to insert a new character into an established series, you have to integrate them carefully into that series so that it enhances the established characters, settings, books, episodes, and movies so that it doesn't mess up the already particular and established feel of each character.

Just getting that close to right is something that is not to be underestimated. Making your new character or characters as part of a unique and preset form of guidelines is something that I applaud if you can do it correctly. Sometimes, if the setting calls for it, you can insert a parody of a character; but most times you will want to give your OC a more substantial and set definition of their characteristics.

Having someone who gets along well with established characters is usually a good thing; but sometimes it may be better to make your OC an antagonist vs. a compatriot. Each story is unique and different so no one set of guideline would ever be the way to go. Just make your OC something that you can relate to; whether that be your friends, lover, brother, sister, son, daughter, etc.

You have different and unique people that you run into continuously or even randomly throughout your life. Use those experiences to bring about a character that is the quality that you want to convey in your story. Whether that may be good, bad, indifferent, stubborn, happy, sad, friendly, etc. is up to you and the story that you want to tell. Every OC that you make should be somewhat different than another one. Use their talents to their benefit and don't pigeonhole them into a set tone or disposition.

In essence, give them a life that you can relate to and one that you think most would enjoy.

23. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    It's just the opposite for me, RX. I find OCs a lot easier to work with because if I have to change something about them to fill a plot hole, no one notices. :D I'm trying to write a Star Trek epic that is composed almost entirely of canon characters... even though it's AU, it's a lot harder than I'd thought!

I think it's easy enough to use an OC to enhance the established characters, settings, etc, because it's an opportunity to show these elements from a new point of view. If anything, writing OCs enhances my understanding of the canon characters because I have to think of how this person would perceive them. I've got a planet full of OCs, and each one of them has a different opinion on Luke Skywalker... some people see him as a fraud, others idolize him as the guy who personally brought down the Empire, and others just want to know what a guy with magic powers is like in bed. :D

24. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    I found it so easy to integrate my OC into canon. I developed here because I wanted to try it out and it was really easy.

I was actually surprised, so the more I write her, the more I enjoy it. I haven't tried Star Wars yet but doing this for Star Trek was fun.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree more with RX.

But I think creating an OC gives a freedom that using canon charactes doesn't. It's so easy to write a canon character "out of character" (at least, as interpreted by others), but with an OC, you have the freedom to write him/her as you will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.