main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Buffy The Vampire Slayer & Angel book/comic book discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by darth-sinister, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Something you wish to contribute?

2. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    K, fine. I will. I didn't like the idea of Season 8...at least the first arc. (Amy, Warren and some stupid government jerks were the best Whedon could come up with as villains? And what's up with Giant Dawn?) And frankly, while I love most of Joss' work, he lost major points the moment he decided to kill off Tara. (And to add insult to injury, he had the balls to have someone mention her by name.)

"Buffy" should have ended at the end of Season 7. Period.

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's Buffy vs Amy, Warren and the entire world now. What were you expecting?

4. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    The same thing most people seem to have expected from the Transformers movie: decent villains.

5. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I am glad Angel is coming back in some form. I am in the minority who liked the show Angel better than Buffy.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    And those are decent villians in both genres.

7. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Amy and Warren aren't decent villains, no matter how you try to justify it.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You've got Warren Meers who killed Tara, even if accidently and proved to be problematic for Buffy. And you've got Amy Madison, the only one capable of giving Willow a run for her money in the magick department.

9. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    And when we compared them to two badass vampires, a pyschotic but charismatic human and a hellgod, they just don't stack up. Hell, even against the Nerd Trio, they don't stand up.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The story has just begun, so don't be quick to judge. Besides, one of them was a member of the Trio.

11. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Yeah, but then he went and killed Tara.

And like Jacen killing Mara, that one act pretty much loses any sympathy towards him from me.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You're not supposed to feel sorry for Warren. That was the point when he came back in season six. You could feel sorry for him in "I Was Made To Love You". But once "Dead Things" came around, you saw how truly unstable Warren really was. Jonathan and Andrew just saw it as having fun. Warren turned it into something far worse. As to killing Tara, this was an accident unlike when Jacen killed Mara which was intentional. Warren was aiming for Buffy and unfortunately in his effort to keep Xander from following him, his other shots hit Tara. He had not intended to hit anyone in the house which is evident from what he says in "Villians".

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/buffy-season-8-issue-5-official-cov.jpg]

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Chain" by Joss Whedon, Paul Lee and Andy Owens. This story takes place at an indetermined point in time, between "Chosen" and "The Long Way Home". Our story follows a young Slayer who has been chosen to not only become part of the Slayer Army, but also a Buffy decoy, much like the girl in Rome with the Immortal. Only this Slayer's task is to infiltrate an underground lair of a demon known as Yamanh, who has become a major threat. The Slayer must unite various demons together against Yamanh's forces.

This story is interesting as we get to see a different perspective in a Buffy story. Namely a Slayer who only appears in this one story and has no ties to Buffy herself, other than her connection as a Slayer and working with members of the Slayer Army and the Scoobies. We get to see Giles, Rona, Vi, Andrew and someone who might be Willow. We also see Simone from issue two. The Slayers depicted when the narrator is called include the First Slayer, Nikki Wood, the Rightous Slayer, Elizabeth Edward Weston, the Chinese Slayer, Nayee Neizghani the Navajo Slayer and Anni Sonnenblume. The latter, save for the Chinese Slayer, were all seen in the "Tales Of The Slayer" mini-series. Overall, we get a good story that like other Whedon penned tales that focus on new characters, feels like part of an organic whole. We see that the Slayerverse is more than just Buffy, even if in this story, it revolves around the Slayer pretending to be Buffy.

[image=http://www.simonsays.com/assets/isbn/1416915877/C_1416915877.jpg]

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Go Ask Malice" by Robert Joseph Levy. This story takes place on December 14th 1997 and ends June 21st 1998. The story is first person narrative and told in diary format, similar to Bram Stoker's "Dracula". An introduction reveals that this was found in the ruins of Sunnydale in 2006, where the bus station used to be. Located and preserved in a locker, along with Faith's stakes and the shirt that she had been wearing, covered in blood. The story revolves around Faith having recieved a diary by her social worker, on her birthday. Faith decides to follow her advice and write about what happened in her life, each day. We then follow Faith as she goes from one bad situation to the next, before meeting her Watcher Diana Dormer. The main thrust of the book is how Faith became the way she was during the series. We see Faith's training and dealing with visions of a girl named Alex, who she hasn't seen since she was very young. An imaginary friend who may be more than that. Faith must not only deal with her role as the Slayer, but with this mystery and the growing threat of her future foe, Kakistos.

Though not exactly canon, the novel has to date, not contradicted anything set up in the series. While Faith will be featured in "No Future For You", it is hard to say what, if anything will be revealed about her childhood. The story is fairly well done and Levy does his best to try and emulate not only Eliza Dushku's voice, but the voice of the series writers. At times it's a little iffy, but overall it's not too bad. Various hints and possible connections to what happens to Faith on both "Buffy" and "Angel" are made here. You do walk away feeling a bit more sorry for Faith, as you can see how bad a deal she's had. Why it was important for her to have a family and friends like Buffy does.

14. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I'm looking forward to the Angel comics more than Buffy 8 since Angel should have gone on another season or two.

I just wonder if anything feels a bit like me in this regards. I've read The Long Way Home and enjoyed it. My main thing is that I'm so used to seeing Buffy as a television show that switching to the different medium is a bit jarring, although comics is the closest to TV. That's also why I never really got into the books that much. Anyone else like that?

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Arrrgh, forgot there's another comic out. I will be leaving shortly to go get it. :D :D

I do like Amy and Warren. Amy was always a bit twitchy to me. Perhaps it's just too much of her mother in her? [face_thinking]

As to Warren, whether or not killing Tara was accidental, he was there to kill and I don't feel sorry for him one bit. The fact he was there in the first place showed he held some deep seated grudges and no doubt being flayed hasn't helped his dispostion one bit.

The both of them are quite the deranged duo.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Cover solicits for issues eight and nine.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/14664-2.jpg]

Issue eight.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/buffy-season-8-comic-book-issue-9-f.jpg

Issue nine. Now, I'm only using the URL, because of the nature of the cover is kinda not safe for work.

Interview with Brian K. Vaughn.

Click for preview pages.

TALKING FAITH & BUFFY WITH BRIAN K VAUGHAN

In September, Brian K. Vaughan returns the favor for Joss Whedon.

Whedon picked up the writing on Vaughan?s Runaways series when he left the series he started, and, with issue #6 of Dark Horse?s Buffy the Vampire Series, Vaughan steps in to write ?No Future for You,? an arc staring Faith.

We sat down with the writer to talk about the gig, Buffy, Faith, and a mixup of film references.

Newsarama: First off, and obviously, how do you land a gig like this? Was it a just a cold call from Dark Horse or Joss? Did you even know you were in the running?

Brian K. Vaughan: A few years ago, before I moved to Los Angeles to work on Lost and adaptations of some of my comics, Joss invited me to write the screenplay for one of a few planned direct-to-DVD movies set in the Buffyverse. Sadly, those flicks eventually fell through, but getting to have dinner and break stories with Joss and Tim Minear and Drew Goddard was one of the best experiences of my life, one that helped inspire me to become the Hollywood sellout I am today.

It?s also where I pitched an idea for a Faith story that everyone seemed to dig, and which Whedon asked if I wanted to resurrect for the Season Eight comic. Since Joss was kind enough to adopt my kids after I cruelly abandoned Runaways, I was more than happy to babysit the Scoobs for a few issues.

NRAMA: Yeah, but you're a busy guy. How long did it take for you to say yes to doing an arc?

BKV: When Whedon says jump, I say, ?Off which bridge?? I just love his writing and his stories are really important to me. Almost from the first episode, Buffy was a real obsession, true, unplug-the-phone appointment television. Like Lost, I instantly knew it was being guided by someone who loved and understood the world of comics, but had something new, something important, to say in a completely different medium.

With Y: The Last Man wrapping in a few months, I?ve made the decision to concentrate pretty much only on new creator-owned books from here on out, but if I?m going to deny myself the supreme pleasure of working on other people?s characters for the rest of my comics career, writing Buffy & Co. seemed like the perfect way to go out with a bang.

NRAMA: How is the series structured, overall? That is, when you came in, were you given your marching orders of "You've got the Faith story," or as you kind of said, you brought your Faith story along?

BKV: Like I said, Faith was my always my first choice, but I only had a really broad concept for her story, so it changed a lot in the move to comics. Joss and I met up, he filled me in on all the juicy secrets behind Twilight, and I think we found a really organic way to advance the themes and larger storylines of Season Eight through this Faith-centric arc.

NRAMA: So what?s the relationship/connection with Joss on this?

BKV: Joss is an effin? taskmaster! When he sends me his Runaways scripts, I usually write back a short note telling him how much I loved it and how perfect it was, and when I send him my Buffy scripts, he writes back a nice note saying how much he loved it? and then includes ten pages of detailed notes explaining how I can make it better. And the annoying part is, he?s always right!

He?s definitely acting as a true Executive Producer on this book, and treating every issue of Season Eight as seriously as he treated every episode of the show. In ten years of writing comics, this is probably the hardest I?ve ever worked on something, but I think the story is much better for it. As am I.

NRAMA: That sa

17. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Love reading the interviews. :D :D

Thanks for making it so easy for us to keep up on Buffy & Angel Sin. [:D]

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The cover to "Angel: After The Fall" #1.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/IDW/Angel/AtF/Angel_AtF1.jpg]

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Oooh, I agree. Very nice. So looking forward to this. :D :D

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    New reviews.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/buffy-season-8-issue-6-cover-mq.jpg]

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer: No Future For You" part 1. By Brian K. Vaughn, Andy Owens, Georges Jeanty and Joss Whedon. Our story begins sometime after "The Long Way Home" and "The Chain", with Faith Lehane in Cleveland Ohio where she and Robin Wood have relocated with a number of Slayers. After taking care of a messy job, Faith returns to her apartment where she is confronted by Giles who has an assignment for her. Kill a rogue Slayer named Lady Genevieve Savidge who is being manipulated by a demon named Roden, who appears to be connected to the coming Twilight. Faith must take out Genevieve or else an apocalypse will occur. Meanwhile, Buffy talks with Xander about the bizzare visions that she has been having lately.

BKV as he's known to comicdom gets off to a good start, matching up to Whedon's style of writing. He has a good grasp on how Giles, Faith, Buffy, Xander and Robin act. As we know, Whedon has kept true to his reference with Cleveland having a Hellmouth, by having her move there and thus out of Buffy's shadow. Though here it's called a second rate Hellmouth. Overall I find this story to be good and look forward to a twist in the tale.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/new_graphic_novel6040.jpg]

"Angel: The Curse" by Jeff Mariotte and David Messina. Set sometime after the events of "Not Fade Away" and before "After The Fall", our story begins with Angel in Romainia looking to remove the one aspect of his curse that can hinder his chance for a normal existence. Namely the fact that every time has a moment of true happiness, he loses his soul and unleashes Angelus. His goal is simple, find the surviving members of the Kalderesh and ask to remove the "Happiness Clause". Unfortunately, Angel runs smack dab in the middle of a war between the last of the Kalderesh and an army of vampires lead by General Corneliu Brasov, a human who is attempting to oppress the people in the area. Now he must team with the Kalderesh to stop Brasnov and if he is sucessful, he might be able to get it done. Only there's one problem, Natalya, the last of the direct bloodline who cursed Angel goes missing.

While this story may or may not be canon when "After The Fall" begins, this story and "Old Friends" serves as a wrap off of the Angel novels and most of the old Dark Horse series. Mariotte wrote more than half of the 27 in the Angel book series. He favors the private detective, noir style of storytelling in the first season than the massive arcs of seasons three and four. Like in many of his novels, he sticks to the small scale aspects of the story, rather than a major arc like the Beast in season four. As he's always done, he as a good grasp on the character and effectively conveys Angel's struggle. This story has an interesting concept that would've worked in the series.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/spikeasylum.jpg]

"Spike: Aslyum" by Brian Lynch and Franco Urro. Spike has a problem, you see he was hired by the Monahan family to retrieve their daughter Ruby, who is a half-demon girl from the Mosaic Wellness Center. An asylum where demons go to be "corrected" in order to live productive lives as useful citizens. Normally Spike wouldn't go for this, but when the Monahans mistake him for Angel and consider hiring him instead, Spike gets upset and decides to prove that he's better than his grandsire. Unfortunately after getting inside, Spike makes a couple of shocking discoveries. One of which is that he cannot simply walk back out and the other is that something very bad is on the horizon if he doesn't do something about it. What follows is a hilarious, action packed adventure worthy of Joss Whedon.

Lynch proves that he is indeed worthy of writing "After The Fall" without Whedon having to take the lead. He has an excellent grasp on Spike and his motivations. His strengths and weaknesses. We also get confirmat

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    NExt Buffy sounds awesome. Thius last eas well done, just miss the gang.

Now I know SPike Ayslum isn't new. Happened to spy issues 2 - 6 when the first Buffy cmoic came up and hence stated my desecent to comic addiction.

If the Angel The Curse old. That sounds really good. I wouln't mind seeing that pesky curse lifted. With soul intact of course.

As always, thank for the PM update Sin. [:D]

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Some updates.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/angel-season-6-issue-1-special-cove.jpg]

Special cover to issue one.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/angel-season-6-issue-2-after-the-fa.jpg]

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/angel-season-6-issue-2-after-the-1.jpg]

Issue two.

And now, the first few pages. Spoilers.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/Angel-ATF-1-5-2.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/Angel-ATF-1-5-3.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/Angel-ATF-1-5-4.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/Angel-ATF-1-5-5.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Whedon/Angel-ATF-1-5-6.jpg

The girl is Fred.

24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I absolutely love that second cover. One sweet Spike pic there. :D :D

I can't read the spoilers, I so want to, but then that'll be half the comic. :p

25. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    aicn reviewed the faith issue and the story is good apparantly but that art is wack baby[face_laugh] Note: bad language in reviews.

[image=http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6285/buffy2iz3.jpg]

use more than 1 reference image in future

[image=http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/Geektechboy/buffy7.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.