main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Bulletin Board" type forum?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Vader Fett, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    ok, i'm just wingin' this, as i thought of this literally 5 minutes ago.

what if we had a forum that acted as a bulletin board, where people could post 'advertisements' for their webistes, ask questions that don't require discussion, announce something, etc.

let's say i had a question about something and just wanted an answer and that was it, no discussion or anything further than a quick answer. example: i might post a message/thread that says "when is john tesh's new album being released?" being a huge john tesh fan, right now i just want to know when his new album comes out. i don't want to discuss him, i just want an answer to a question.

many times people just want a question answered and not discussion about it, and so it's kind of a waste to start a thread about it in jcc.

also, people could post thread/messages to advertise their websites. this is something that can be done in a person's profile, i know. i only mention it simply because it's just an add on type use for a bulletin board.

other types of messages/threads that could appear on the bulletin board, that just need an answer without discussion:

how many pits are in a pear?
    where can i download atari 2600 emulators? (this is legal, btw)
    can someone find me a really cool pic of a tuba?
    where can i find the best sources of online movie scripts?
    anyone intersted in taking part in a sociology study, pm me.
    anyone who's used the Super Suck 5000 vacuum cleaner, pm me.

etc etc etc etc.

i'm well aware that google can often times help with the questions. but not always. and google isn't gonna help you when you want to make some kind of announcement or request for knowledgeable people in a certain area. as it is, we're only allowed to discuss computer problems in one thread in jcc, so it would help if i could post a bulletin board message that looks something like "anyone who's ever used aol v37.0 and knows how to fix the bugs, plz pm me."

as i said, this idea is just off the top of me head.

2. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Your idea sounds interesting.

3. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I second that idea!

4. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    sounds quite interesting. could be fun.

i forsee a good quality fluff vs. spam war.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    how many pits are in a pear?

1138 ÷ 42!!111!!!411

where can i download atari 2600 emulators? (this is legal, btw)

She Flys!

can someone find me a really cool pic of a tuba?

Google is your friend.

where can i find the best sources of online movie scripts?

Don't know.

anyone intersted in taking part in a sociology study, pm me.

I act like an idiot around others.

anyone who's used the Super Suck 5000 vacuum cleaner, pm me.

Impossible, that won't be released until Dec 11, 2054 A.D.

6. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Most of the questions you have you can find answers in google for. You just need to know how to look. And if google doesn't have the answer, what's the chance that a member of the boards will?

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    What about for more PC/Mac orientated questions.

For example: In a list in Excel, how can I make the first letter of each word a capital?

That sort of thing is hard to find on Google

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    For example: In a list in Excel, how can I make the first letter of each word a capital?

VBA

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    VBA == Visual Basic for Applications, the backend macro/programming language for expedient design for Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Access, etc.

It's the best way to do what you ask, rather than using nested IFF formulae.

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    See, I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, but someone here might

12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    ok, i'm just wingin' this, as i thought of this literally 5 minutes ago

it shows

;-)

13. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    The other day, I was thinking "Damn, the JCC needs a link to Google in the header". This thread supports my idea ;)

14. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    YOu know what would be an even better idea? When you start a new topic in JCC, and click the "Post new topic" button, it should take you too google, with a Special Message that says, "Don't be a moron.... can you "brilliant" thread isea be answered by google?" and then there's another button that says no, and that will take you the actual post new topic thing.

:p

15. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Just run a script that captures the probable subjects of the title of the thread, and have it link to http://www.google.ca/search?num=50&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=<insertSubject>+&meta=

:)

16. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Well fine.... if you want to be all nerdy and technical about it ;)

17. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Better: If the answer can be found on Google, BANNED

18. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I like the way this woman thinks ;)

19. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    If I'm not mistaken wasn't there a specific forum for this about a year or two ago? (I'm not sure because it might of been a feature in Options that told trivial things like whose been recently banned etc.)

Besides that I like/agree with this idea. Although alot of the things it would entail are already taking care of in forums like Communications, EU/Films Communities, and Regional FanForces.

YJCC as well takes care of providing little notices to Jedi Council users because that is of course the forum containing the most traffic.

Other than that it would be quite useful -- afterall it's not that big of a deal for a Moderator/Administrator/Manager to create a new forum, is it?

<[-]> Saber

20. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    we have to remember that, first and formost, the JC is a STAR WARS forum. it probably sounds kind of silly coming from a YJCC mod who rarely visits movie forums, but it's the truth. more and more we seem to be moving away from star wars, and moving more towards random other things.

i love google, and i refer people to google in their "quick question" threads, but i don't think that a forum like this is waranted. partially because people do start "quick question" threads in YJCC, and sometimes they actually turn into discussion threads. the ones that don't sink quickly to the second page, never to be risen again. plus, with the 3 threads per day rule, it limits the amout of "quick question" threads that are made.

as far as the personal webpages go, i could possibly see an "offical personal webpage thread" or something like that, where people could post their websites in that thread. but i'm saying this without having talked to the other YJCC mods, so i'm not saying it would be approved necessarily, just an idea. if there's enough of a demand for this, we could consider it, but no one should go making the thread yet.

21. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

é = alt + 0233

or

ctrl + alt + e = é

:p

22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    What 3 thread per day rule?

23. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    in YJCC, the rule is that only three new threads can be created per person, per day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.