main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So, in a bit of news that seems to have skipped the headlines and gone straight to video, WB has cast Wonder Woman for the Man of Steel sequel. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/04/gal-gadot-cast-as-wonder-woman-in-batman-vs-superman . It's rumored that they're also casting for someone to play the Flash, and they're still looking for a villain.

It seems that DC is using BvsS as not only a blockbuster in its own right, but also a direct set up for Justice League projects, skipping the "phase one" introductory part Marvel went through and jumping straight to the Avengers. Unfortunately, it looks like we won't be getting a Wonder Woman film for a while if this is true, unless they're planning one for after the inevitable Justice League film.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Pretty much any Wonder Woman would better than the aborted TV pilot "Pants to be Darkened"

Cynical_Ben and Gorefiend like this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm not familiar with this Gal Gadot, but uh... FINALLY? I was starting to think we'd see 4 more Batman reboots before we ever get a Wonder Woman film.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Apparently she's been in a lot of the recent Fast & Furious movies, and people seem to like her both as an actress and as a fit for the part. And she's Israeli, so points for diversity.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Never heard of Gadot, but thank Christ she's at least Middle Eastern.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sounds like you've been waiting for Gadot.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I was waiting for Gadot to be cast.

Edit: **** you Jello :mad:

CooperTFN likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I hate you.

10. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I am much more of fan of the DC characters over Marvel, so I am really hoping they pull this off. There have been rumors of the Flash and Nightwing making an appearance as well.

A Justice League movie would be great but it will be hard fitting in so many characters.

11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Havac

Ah, my mistake. I guess I confuse them because both Peggy and Betty, to my ears at least, both sound like very "old timey" names (no offense intended in case anyone happens to be named Peggy or Betty; nothing wrong with being old timey, as I'm sure Jello would agree :p). Plus I'm terrible with names in general. When it comes to TV shows it takes me awhile to get the names down. I think the only full names from the show that I could give you would be Don Draper (because who could forget a name like that? No wonder he chose it, much better than Dick Whitman), Pete and Trudy Campbell, and Bert Cooper (but only because you said it). They're pretty much "lecherous old dude", "blonde dude that was in LA Noire", "nerdy dude that really looks like Isaac Asimov" and "smiley Italian dude" to me so far :p

Todd, I wouldn't say it's the characters I'm mixing up at all- they're already very different characters- just the names. Thought Peggy was named Betty, and couldn't have told you Betty's name (Emma Frost?)

As for the actual Betty, my gut reaction is the same with Peggy: I like her. The lifestyle of a 1950s housewife is very close to my personal definition of hell, and I think that Betty feels that way too, even if she might not know it yet. I think that over the course of the season Betty is hit with the realization that, as far as society is concerned, her life is over. She alludes to it in one particular scene, though I can't remember the dialogue; something about how her mother always told her that she needed to look pretty so she'd find a man. The unspoken question there is "then what?" As Mad Men takes place a few years before the big feminism wave (I'd be surprised if the release of The Feminist Mystique isn't covered at some point on the show), it's really interesting to see that kind of lifestyle from the point of view of a woman who is clearly unsatisfied with it, yet doesn't know that there's much alternative.

One of the most effective lines in the season for me was Betty's line to the kid (Glenn?): "adults don't know anything". It works so well, both as an admission that she doesn't really know what she wants, doesn't know why she isn't happy when society is telling her that she has it all, and in saying that the people around her are so rigid and like-minded that the only person she can really talk to is an awkward little boy.

Like her husband, she is a flawed person, but I think her personal flaws are a lot less damning (though that very well could be because they've not had time to expose them further). She can be petty, judgmental and gossipy, but it's difficult to really blame her for it. She's derided by her therapist (who, incidentally, I can say is the one Mad Men character that I flat out hate; you can tell the writers of the show really dislike psychotherapists) of essentially being a drama queen over housewife troubles, but when your life is composed of nothing but constant boredom, I imagine one begins to create drama where drama isn't necessary if only to liven things up.

I think it's a real testament to the writing of the show that, in some ways, the most easy to relate to characters on a 60's period drama are the women characters (at least Betty and Peggy). Perhaps, by virtue of the era, they naturally fit the "underdog" role. In Betty's case, there's that theme of dissatisfaction at having your life laid out for you that I've always enjoyed.

I really like Don, but it's safe to say that it's a fairly one-way street in terms of how their marriage is failing. My money is on a divorce at some point in the Draper's future.

Interesting about LA Noire. It was one of those games that I played a small bit of- the first two cases, I believe- loved it, but dropped it for no reason. I've been meaning to play it one of these days, as there really is just nothing like it. I think playing "spot the Mad Men character" will be a fun added incentive.

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    "The National Security Agency is gathering nearly 5 billion records a day on the whereabouts of cellphones around the world, according to top-secret documents and interviews with U.S. intelligence officials, enabling the agency to track the movements of individuals — and map their relationships — in ways that would have been previously unimaginable."

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Source.

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It took me a bit to get all the supporting characters straight, too. Especially Paul and Harry. It helps when Paul grows a beard from season two on. Even longer to figure out what all of their jobs actually were. But you catch on quick.

Betty is a really interesting character. I loved exploring her ennui and dissatisfaction, and she has a really interesting arc going forward. As for your omission of Joan from the women you identify with, it took the show a little bit to get a handle on where it was going with Joan, but once it gets it, she's a really fascinating character. Plus, she's Christina Hendricks.

L.A. Noire is a really fun game if you love the genre the way I do. The actual gameplay isn't that great, and the truth-doubt-lie mechanic is fascinating but a little counterintuitive at times, but what I really love is that it's basically just an interactive story, and the story is great. Great performances, sharp writing, a completely gorgeous world, and a chance to really plunge yourself into a noir universe and sort of play out your own noir film. It isn't a vehicle for great gameplay entertainment, like most AAA titles, but for a great story-world experience.

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Remember that case where you followed those clues across the city (sorry if I'm vague; I'm trying to avoid spoilers). That was a nightmare, but in a good, enthralling way. That game is definitely worth picking up, what I imagine is now, cheap.

15. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Wait, you mean you put the Mon Remonda in a box?! I can't believe that. :p

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't even have Mon Remonda! He is undeserving :p

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Took a photo last week just for this thread, then totally forgot about it.

My childhood isn't in a box, it's in a plastic tub:

[​IMG]

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is my birthday[face_dancing] And I will spend it studying :(
    Chaos take you Indian History 1!

Gorefiend, Barriss_Coffee and RC-1991 like this.
  19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Happy birthday, Gamiel!

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Happy Birthday!

[​IMG]

Gorefiend likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Happy birthday. :)

In college I usually had an exam on my birthday or close to it.

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I've played through most of it, and haven't gotten around to finishing it yet (someday), but what I found most interesting was what you did in the game (though, yeah, it did annoy me that I'd sometimes pick an option and end up saying the exact opposite of what I intended). That you just basically drove around, solving (more or less) ordinary crimes. It's a nice change of pace from having the fate of the country/world/galaxy hanging in the balance, and something I'd like to see done more often.

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I really, really need to purchase the Mon Remonda. After years of procrastinating, I think I might finally do it!

--Adm. Nick

24. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    My basement looks like this most of the time, except they're all over the floor.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My youngest son's bedroom looks like krtmd 's basement.

krtmd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.