main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can we let mods decide what is and what isn't spam?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by citizen-tom, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    There is seriously an evil trend going on in YJCC. I understand that spam is a problem, and if there is something that is seriously flat-out spam, I don't care what people say 'slong as its TOS abiding, but there are some threads that are borederline spam which a mod should decide or sometimes, more rare though, a thread that isn't really spam, just a unique idea that gets shot down and eventually locked thanks to this new trend.

Poster- (Message, may or may not be spam)

Reply- +1

Reply- this is spam, LOCK

Reply- [face_plain]

Reply- spam

Reply- (tries to make serious reply to the post says something to the 'spam' posters)

Reply- dude, this is spam

Reply- why isnt this locked?

Reply- beat the lock

Reply- beat the lock

Reply- +1

-----------------------------------

Arent those people spamming themselves?

Well I'm going to bed. See you all in the morning, just wanted to say this trend is annoying me to death.

2. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    To exploit another annoying fad ... I agree with citizen-tom on this issue.

3. Dracmus

Dracmus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2002
    i agree too...i am sick of that crap

4. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    +1

This is getting locked since the previous mod squad update dealt with this.

But I agree+1 is annoying.

I consider +1 to be the bane of the JC's existence.

From now on +1 will be illegal.

Anyone caught posting +1 in a thread where +1 is not necessary will be +1ed all the way to +1.

The +1 rule starts now...........

+1.

Ok, now.......

But the problem is two fold:

+1: The thread is actually spam in which case the "grizzled veterans of the JCC will come out, flamethrowers in hand." Note, I consider myself to be one of the above.

+1+1: The thread resembles a thread started by the serial spammers. In which case the +1ers 4 life spam the thread that "threatens it". For example if I were to start a:

"Yodave27's ~Official~ I need a girl or all the attention of all the posters on this board cause I want this thread to stay on the first page forever and if it doesn't I will make a thread just like it in 6 hours to take its place and I will continue this until I have a post count Bib would envy Thread

Certain people here would take exception.

But I agree with citizen_tom on the issue, but in all my ramblings I forgot what it was...

:confused:

5. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I don't think "+1" is the focus of the complaint. Take a look at the title of this thread.

6. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    I agrie wit teh sitizin-tome on tiz ishoo.

;)

7. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    there are some threads that are borederline spam which a mod should decide

It would be nice if that worked all the time, but we have instances (quite often) where a mod him(her)self is actually doing the spamming. And it's not borderline spam/legit either. It's blatant, TOS breaking, Spam. So even though they're chosen for their good judgement, they have a lapse too every once in a while. Mods are not Gods. They were once regular posters like you and me and just because they have colors or a title doesn't mean they're inherently better and foolproof at recognizing Spam.

Arent those people spamming themselves?

Yes, and that's the beautiful irony of it. I don't know if everyone does it for this reason, but when I make beat the lock or +1 or [face_plain] posts in an obvious spam thread, I'm trying to give the spammer a taste of his(her) own medicine. They annoyed me and cluttered up the board with a thread that is going to be locked, so why shouldn't I annoy them back by adding useless and subtle 'insults' to their thread? It's fair, not mature, but fair.

and this is a picture, just because.
    [image=http://www.smalltime.com/spam/spam.jpg]

8. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Just yesterday in a thread we discussed deep frying spam.

9. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Deep fried spam=bleh.

Posters spamming spam=double meh

Basically, I'm saying I agree with citizen tom here. I see people go into perfectly valid threads and say "This is spam, lock it!" If people are going to be so picky, and *insist* on trying to moderate everything themselves, they can PM a mod and *ask* if it's spam, instead of just acting like they run the place.

10. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    "Reply- this is spam, LOCK "
    "Reply- why isnt this locked? "

I do that a lot. However, I agree with tom on this issue.

BLAMMO!!

11. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Mods are not Gods.

:eek:

PPOR!

[face_mischief]

12. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    [i[I don't think "+1" is the focus of the complaint. Take a look at the title of this thread.[/i]

I know I was being a wise-@$$.

I agree with Fate, mods aren't gods.

Although someone needs to explain that to GrippZ because he thinks he's Zeus on Mod Olympus throwing down his bans and wraths on the general pop.

;)

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    One man's spam is another man's treasure.

What I'm getting at is that spam is a very subjective thing and is complicated to define. It's really something we have to deal with on a case-by-case basis. A steadfast definition tends to be too binding and leaves no room for interpretation or flexibility.

14. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"Can we let mods decide what is and what isn't spam?"

No. "Spam" is determined by the Community. The Community forum is not the library. We don't all sit in a circle holding hands and opining on the virtues of Voltaire's writings. People go there for entertainment and, as the saying goes, to "get to know your fellow Jedi Knights who post here."

Community, by it's very nature, is silly. The people who post there drive the level of discussion. The content should not be determined by the Administration past a judgement on what is appropriate and what is not. If people like social threads, then there'll be social threads. If a vast number of people come into a crappy thread and post "+1" or "this is inappropriate for this forum" or "this is redundant and should be locked" then the Community is determining what it wants to see in the forum.

Isn't that the way it should be?

AYBABTU?

15. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    "Can we let mods decide what is and what isn't spam?"

No. "Spam" is determined by the Community.

Maybe you are right, but since it's a fact only mods can lock threads and issue meaningful warnings, instead of spamming up the place with "this thread is spam, lock it" posts, couldn't we just PM the mods and let them know we think the thread should be dealt with? I find all those +1 and [face_plain] posts to be rude and annoying.

16. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I find constantly PMing a mod at the first sign of something that one does not like to be pandering and intrusive.

Sometimes, a harmless rebuke from one's peers goes much farther than a mod's ability to lock a thread. Without some feedback from the Community at Large, the author of the offending thread may think he's been singled out by the mod, and attempt to seek relief though PMing the mod, starting the thread again, starting a thread complaining that he was singled out by the mods in Community, or starting a thread complaining that he was singled out by the mods in Communications. Drama ensues.

AYBABTU?

17. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
  18. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Hmm...it is true that PMing a mod all the time can be troublesome both for mods and posters. However, I don't think just letting the JC run wild is a good idea, either. Maybe once that would have been fine. But lately the spirit of the JC has been so nastu and derogatory, that I think leaving it up to posters to decide woudl only result in many more flame wars and more of the ever-terrifying drama!

19. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    When I first arrived on the JC scene, the Ep2 Spoilers Allowed forum chewed people up and spit them back [Will Ferrell] crying to their mammas [/Will Ferrell] if they didn't know the ins and outs of the forum...sure, it wasn't a very welcoming place, but the community there had it's standards and it seemed to work from my pre-mod status perspective. Mods would just sweep in for the mercy killing. Maybe that went too far, but if the people that post in YJCC are going to tolerate the garbage, then there really is no hope. So, I agree with Darth_AYBABTU on this issue....though I never venture into the YJCC anymore, so it's not my problem to worry about or deal with unless I'm called in to do a little ban hammer work.

20. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    When I first arrived on the JC scene, the Ep2 Spoilers Allowed forum chewed people up and spit them back [Will Ferrell] crying to their mammas [/Will Ferrell] if they didn't know the ins and outs of the forum...sure, it wasn't a very welcoming place, but the community there had it's standards and it seemed to work from my pre-mod status perspective.

In my newbie days, Community was somewhat like that. I knew people who wouldn't venture into the Community forum because they believed it to be too rough and tumble. Posting inane drivel would have brought down the immediate scorn of the oldbies.

Now it's a kindler, gentler forum where everybody is supposed to get along and only say nice things to each other. It may be kindler and gentlre, but it's not necessarily better.

21. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "Mods are not Gods.

:eek:

PPOR!
    "

Hello, my name is proof.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    instant poster, gust add wind!

22. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Ah yes, the almighty Windy.

\\bows humbly\\

\\makes shrine to the wind\\

23. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    [image=http://www.all-about-tom.com/images/deadpython.jpg]

"I still don't like Spam!"

24. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I find constantly PMing a mod at the first sign of something that one does not like to be pandering and intrusive.

Right, you shouldn't PM a mod at the first sign of something you don't like, you should PM them when a thread needs locking, or someone needs repremanding. Harassing threads you don't like is actually just as intrusive and it's also counter productive, it keeps the thread at the top of the page and gives it a higher post count.

Or, another idea, you could just PM the offending spammer directly and try to get them to stop.

25. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Hello, my name is proof.

I respectfully disagree with the Windy One.

I believe he is proof of the opposite. 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.