main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That is a good point. In terms of my great grandmother, she was on death's door before my grandmother and mom flew to visit her for a week. While they were there she was doing alright, but as soon as they left, she went back downhill pretty quickly.

I'm just glad that her type of dementia isn't genetic (most types aren't anyways according to the latest research). She was just lucky, or unlucky depending on how you see it, to live this long. Something similar happened to my great grandfather on the other side of my family. He lived to be 99 and only got 'off' the last month or so of his life. He never lived long enough to be formally diagnosed with dementia.

Iverna likes this.
  2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I saw my grandma today. Unannounced visit. She was doing pretty well and seemed genuinely content. It was a refreshing change of pace. Granted, her oxygen was a bit too high (she's a tinkerer and likes to fiddle with controls), so she was a tad loopy, but it wasn't a shocking change or anything out of the ordinary. Gave us all a few chuckles here and there, including her. I didn't talk much when I was there and I hung out near the door. Since I'm just getting over strep, I also was wearing a mask. She's hard of hearing, and the mask muffled my words, which shot my already-questionable diction to hell. So, rather than shout and repeat myself with over-the-top enunciation, I mainly kept quiet, fed any needed info to my brother, and reiterated here and there.

I'd get into detail on what we learned, but I'd rather not. Needless to say, while my brother and I were happy for my grandma, we had some ire toward our dad. [face_plain]

3. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    We are getting a nice thunderstorm right now (yes, I'm one of those people who loves storms).
    However, further west in the same storm system, the Texas panhandle is apparently getting some thundersnow.
    Words cannot express my jealousy.

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Nor can it express mine. I want some snow!

LLL likes this.
  5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm jealous! We rarely get thunderstorms here. We MAYBE get one a year and they usually are not that impressive because we live in the mountain and there are a ton of trees. Last summer I was visiting cousins on the prairies and we got a thunderstorm and it was a show. It was night, but every time lightening cracked, the sky would light up as if it were day.

6. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I thought we'd have some awesome thunderstorms here; in 10 months in Oklahoma though, we've had maybe... 4 or 5? And none that were all too impressive. For whatever reason, our area seems to be a little bubble- the crazy stuff hits either further south down in Texas or up north of OKC.
    I can't really say if this is typical though- the whole state has been in a bad drought for two years. Maybe in seasons of more typical rainfall...

Should be interesting though- we're under a winter storm warning right now. Just rain for now, but the temperature is supposed to keep going down all day tomorrow. Aside from a couple of days of flurries, we had one actual snowfall on Christmas day, which was sort of awesome, so anything snow-wise would be fun.
    Except that it was 65 degrees yesterday. I enjoyed my flip flops.

Now I'm off to bed. I tried to stay up to finish a paper on oil economics but... well, it's a paper on oil economics. I-) And why do tonight what I could do at the actual last minute tomorrow?

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    A Tarkin sketch card that I drew while still sick and ended up hating seconds after it was finished... Well, I got a second opinion and I've warmed up to it. I haven't scanned the image yet, but its main problem was Tarkin looked too young. However, he still looks like Tarkin, just a young, pre-Grand Moff Tarkin. And when I compared it to other images of young Tarkin, my unintentional young Tarkin has a better likeness.

So, I'm not as upset with the image anymore. And now I know that I can draw a convincing young Tarkin. Apparently, I can only draw this while suffering from strep. :p

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    We are currently under a 'blizzard warning' aka nothing new.

I'm glad that your warned up to your drawing. I have a horrible habit of, if I don't like something I do, I immediately throw it out. I need to stop doing that because I've deleted whole fics that could have been salvaged if I had just let them alone.

Iverna likes this.
  9. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Yep, if you don't like something you did it's usually better to just put it aside. When you come back to it, you might find that it's useful in some way. Mind you, there's such a thing as overdoing it. I have far too many crappy, half-finished sketches lying around that I did about ten years ago and will never use for anything. :p

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Does he look like Tarkin in ROTS? I am pretty sure that was him that got the plans to the Death Star...but I am often wrong about these things.

11. Krayt-Eagle

Krayt-Eagle Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2007
    I know this may seem... random... but, does anyone know any good revenge pranks? It's actually for a school project, believe it or not ;) . We're supposed to pick a song, then have a storyboard for it, as we're making a music video. The song I picked was How You Like Me Now by The Heavy. I was never a prankster much (although was a victim of some from my siblings [face_phbbbbt] ), so I don't know too many. Of course, they have to be a bit realistic pranks that I could actually pull off, so no exotic explosions or serious or long-term damage. So far, I've got...

-Shaving creme in shoe
    -extreme hot sauce in food
    -glitter on ceiling fans
    -butter floor (for the epic slip-and-fall)

If you have any tips, or memorable pranks from experience, I'm all ears![:D]

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    We did a lot of pranks on each other while I was in the Army. They weren't for revenge, we were just being jerks.

1. One night it was snowing really hard. My friend said her roommate was asleep in their room. So we went outside with our little square trashcans from our barracks room and crammed the snow into the cans and then slid it out making snow bricks. We then built a wall of snow bricks against the door to my friends room leaving just enough room to knock. Once it was done we knocked on the door really hard. The roommate opens the door and a wall of snow fell on her. We thought it was funny at the time. But we had no way to get all the water out of the carpet and the room smelled like mold after that.

2. We got one of those scary monster masks a few weeks before Halloween. We went into my friends barracks room and leaned over his sleeping roommate. We then woke him up so the first thing he sees is this monster. He was not happy with us.

3. We guarded a military facility that did work on nukes. One day we got the new guy and told him to go down to the gate and pick up a shipment. It was an aluminum mermite can that normally held soup or other food. But today it was empty with the exception of a green glow light. The newbie brings it in and the sergeant asks him why the seal was broken. The kid is all confused. We are told to kill the lights and he opens the can and you see this greenish glow. Everybody is pretending to freak out saying we were exposed to radiation and we were going to die. I think we kept it up until we couldn't hold a straight face any longer.

4. I had a very shy roommate so a friend and I bought a bunch of Playgirl magazines and wrote on the cover, "This is the property of Private Jones. If found please return to room 112." We then had a male friend go to the door and tell her he found her Playgirls in the dayroom. I have never seen my roommate that mad before.

5. There was a dance that a lot of my friends were going to except one that didn't have a date. So I made up a flier that had her picture on it and it said, "I am looking for a date to go to the dance. If you want to go with me please come to room 245 of North Barracks." I never put it up on a wall. I had a male friend knock on her door and say he found her flier in the mailroom and he would go out with her. She ran down to the mailroom and dayroom in a panic looking for more fliers.

And then there are some pranks that are so disturbing they would probably go against TOS.

13. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    We had a prank week amongst my friends during finals one semester in college. Let's see...

-less messy than Jedi_Lover's snow wall, we saran-wrapped someone into their room once. Not messy (or time consuming), just taped a few sheets over the doorway so when they walked out, there was just a wall of plastic.*
    -the trick with taking small disposable cups and half-filling each with water and layering the floor of someone's room with them. The water prevents them from just knocking all the cups over if they don't want soggy carpet.**
    -when two friends/roommates were both in class, two of us completely swapped their room. Desks, wardrobes, bedding... everything except the stuff hanging on the walls, I think.

I'm sure there were more, but those were the highlights. [face_mischief]

*probably a horrific fire hazard
    **make sure to start from the back of the room and work your way towards the door

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    In grade 10 my class left for a band festival in Seattle on April fools. Needless to say, we had some good times at others (mostly the band teacher's) expense. We put saran wrap over the toilet on the bus, put toothpaste on the faces of people who dared to sleep and purposefully hid the jr band teacher's suitcase to make him believe he forgot to put it on the bus. There were more. Mostly just stupid stuff.

Then there is the classic, putting an elastic band over the sink sprayer handle so when your victim turns on the facet, they get sprayed. I did that one to my blind father often.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    He looks better than Tarkin in RotS. RotS Tarkin actually looks older than he did in ANH! My sketch is a closer likeness to Peter Cushing.

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Pranks used by the firefighters;) let's see.

Left boot in right trouser leg and the reverse
    A bucket of water on the door.
    Water in boots
    Hot chilli sauce in the ketchup bottle

And guys going for their physical filled the largest bottle they could find with urine

And in the office:
    Send the new employee to get the file with the 'lost files'

17. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Just got a review that cracked me up. They gave my book 2 stars because they couldn't pronounce my characters' names, and they demanded to know why I couldn't use "normal names". I'm so glad I removed some of the Maori phrases I had in there. That would have broken that poor reader!

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    If they are reading it why do they need to know how to pronounce it...unless they have to give a book report on it. I don't know how to pronounce half the words in Star Wars. I still hear Palpatine pronounced two different ways.

19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I need to stay out of the E7 forum before my brain cells die...

Zeta1127 and TrakNar like this.
  20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    They know nothing. When EP7 comes out we should go back to the speculation thread and laugh.

Zeta1127 and DarthBreezy like this.
  21. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Honestly, I get the name thing. I hate it myself when I have no idea how to pronounce names in books, because then I can't really read them and the narrative becomes "he looked at Blah" and that bothers me.

The wrong character name can break a novel for me, in extreme cases. I can't take the character, or their story, seriously when they have a stupid name like Biscuit or Drizzt. Apostrophes in names really bug me, so it's a good thing Thrawn always used his core name. :p Zsinj and Xizor bothered me, and Karrde, Celchu, and Kyp threw me initially as well (although I think that was because I was reading the books in German at first). And the fact that "Hapes" is apparently supposed to be pronounced "Hayps" offends me, it sounds like someone saying "heaps" with a thick accent, to me. :p I love it when authors put in a pronunciation guide for their place and character names, if they're unusual, the way Tolkien did for LotR.

So, yeah, I get that a weird name would put someone off reading a book. I definitely look at character names as a factor when looking for new books to read. I don't consider "Jaina" weird or unpronounceable, but then, I'm used to fantasy and sci-fi, not crime or romance or other "real-world" genres...

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

The EU threads (the sticky and teh Chewbacca ones especially) are the worse - Actually, the Chewie thread seriously makes me worry about some people's grip on reality - I think they'll hemmorage if Chewie makes an appearance, and not out of joy...

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    How is Jaina pronounce. In my mind it is like Jay-na.

I just finished writing a scene where two Force ghosts are having their version of sex. What's wrong with me?

24. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    It's Jay-na.

One of the names being complained about is Teniel. That isn't a weird name to me. I've known several Teniels, including my cousin. Ten-eel. Not hard.

I don't care if Hapes is supposed to be pronounced "Hayps", that's just dumb. It's "hay-pees" to me and always will be.

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I like Hayps better. Hay-pees sounds like you are urinating in straw. And it sounds a little like herpes.

moosemousse and TrakNar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.