main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Liverpool

Liverpool Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    I am still in favor of Helo to be Cap. [image=http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q109/catalyst2_2006/Dollhouse/Casting%20News/BSG_Tahmoh_Penikett.jpg]

2. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Ah, already the purists are whining about potential costume changes. Are these the people who even complain about the Superman Returns costume?

"OMG it's too dark!11!!!1!"

See, this is why Iron Man and Hulk had it easy. Iron Man is armour, no prob to look good on screen (honestly, I liked the first version used against the pseudo-Taliban). Hulk of course has no costume. Cap America, Thor and whatsisname (I keep forgetting the other Avengers member)...ah, the potential for purist whining is vast indeed.

:-B

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    :eek:

It's not a great adaptation of the comic books, but it's an AWESOME movie!

4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I don't think you get it.

The costume is kind of a relevant topic whether it be purist whining or not. Unlike most Superheroes whose costumes are pretty interchangeable, Captain America's costume is both Iconic and Symbolic. The look is intentional, not just something thrown together. Now as I have stated I am prepared for deviations akin to Spider-Man or even Superman so long as the basic design is preserved and he is still recognizably Captain America.

Thor, Iron Man, Ant Man and Hulk have gone through enough costume evolution that there is a variety of elements to choose from and a many more options available to the designers. That said Iron Man's costumes were still pretty faithful to different stages of the costume (Especially Mark 1 and Mark 3). For a costume that they could have gotten away with just about anything, as most people have no idea what he looks like besides being armoured, they were pretty faithful. They weren't perfect in the evolution of the costume, but given how faithful the designs were of the costumes that didn't matter. Why can't we expect the same of a more recognizable and iconic character, whose costume means something. Especially when this movie is not being made by committee but by the people who create the comic week after week. I don't take issue with changes so long as the changes makes sense and reasoning is sound. Don't just change the costume for the sake of changing them. Again this is why I am in favour of the Ultimate costume design being used, where elements fall into the right places and he is still recognizably Captain America but there is some leeway for artistic liberties.

The Superman Returns costume, while not perfect IMO, still had elements in the right places. Beyond that its a matter of taste. But the Iconic elements of the costume were in place and the costume was still recognizably Superman. The Burton Superman however misses the point entirely of the costume and illustrates exactly what I want to avoid...dramatically changing things for the sake of changing things.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As I've stated in other threads, that the Red Skull will be a villain is a no-brainer. However, who I'd like to see as villains in any sequels would be the Super-Patriot and/or Scourge. The Super-Patriot would address the issue of extreme nationalism, and Scourge would address vigilantism.

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Romita Jr. still draws Spidey with the underarm webbing sometimes. As far as I know he's the only artist who still does it. Check out New Ways to Die for recent examples.

As for Cap's costume I agree that there aren't many deviations they can make and still make him Captain America. They definetly CANNOT go the X-Men route and just put him in black leather. IMO their only options are the regular costume or the Ultimate look. I'm just worried they'll use Bucky's "Captain Puerto Rico" look to tie the movie in to current comics. I think it's safe to say we won't see the Cap/Punisher look though. :p

7. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Which is one of many reasons why JR Jr is still my favorite modern Spidey Artist (his father being my all time fave :p )

But thats neither here nor there.

I understand that certain creative liberties need to be taken with Cap's outfit and that changes will be made. All I ask is that they remain faithful to the fundamentals of the character's costume...which is why I continue leaning towards Ultimate Captain America. It looks more practical and suited for the military, but still has the key components of Cap without looking silly. Personally its my preferred Cap costume.

8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    What is that Burton design even from?

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He was attached to direct a Superman movie in the late 90's, with Nic Cage as Supes. IIRC, Kevin Smith was onboard as one of the writers but the producer (Jon Peters or something like that) kept forcing stupid things into the script- polar bear guards at the fortress of solitutude, and Superman HAD to fight a giant mechanical spider, for example.

Eventually the movie went into development hell (and is one reason why Superman Return's budget was so high as it had to absorb that previous's attempts costs), and Peters got his giant mechanical spider into Wild, Wild West instead (and look how good that turned out for everyone ;) ). IIRC, even the recent animated Superman: Doomsday DVD made fun of the giant mechanical spider thing.

10. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Kevin Smith was let go when Burton came on and they rewrote his story entirely, at least thats what I recall from Smith's infamous retelling of the story in "An Even With Kevin Smith".

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Darth_Guy and Kevin Smith were a couple??? I'm so out of the loop.

12. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    This is what I get for neglecting sleep.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The giant mechanical spider also makes an appearance in Mark Hamill's "Comic Book: The Movie". It's more of a reference than an appearance but you know what I mean. :p

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [image=http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/KnifeToTheSoul/57823-captain-america_400.jpg]

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I wonder if they'll just make Cap's suit all leather like Dare Devil.

[image=http://www.aolcdn.com/red_galleries/daredevil-superhero-400a062507.jpg]

I don't think a Captain America film will be at the same level at Spidey or Iron-Man. Perhaps, the Incredible Hulk. If it's a higher level than Dare Devil or Ghost Rider, I'll be happy.

16. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    If it's a higher level than Dare Devil or Ghost Rider, I'll be happy.

Wow, that's seriously low standards. DD, Elektra and Ghost Rider are the bottom of the barrel for Marvel's current movies, IMO (then again, I never watched the new FF movies, are they worse?). Cap America has the potential to be much better, though as I mentioned before, I don't expect another Iron Man or even the Incredible Hulk, and defnitely not Spidey.

Thor or Ant-Man (Ant!!! [face_laugh] ) on the other hand...now those have the potential to be the next Ghost Rider/DD/Elektra. Cap America should be an easier adaptation to make.

17. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    When Iron Man was announced people were as equally pessimistic about the expected results, so don't count out Captain America or Thor yet. Ant Man...I just hope they save the trouble and introduce him elsewhere...perhaps a lab jockey at Stark Industries somewhere...or working to crack the Super Soldier Formula.

18. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I think it would kind of be cool if they went with the original outfit, such as this:

[image=http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4687/captamericadx6.jpg]

I doubt they do it though.

I keep hearing that the two main actors that are being considered for the role are Will Smith and Matthew McConaughey. Quite frankly, I hope not, as I can't really stand either actor.

19. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I think because of the success with The Dark Knight, superhero movies from now on will go for the more serious route and less of the campy route. If Captain America goes the more serious route it can be a good movie. Probably not better than Iron Man and Spider-Man like you said, but better than a lot of others.

20. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    If Captain America goes the more serious route it can be a good movie. Probably not better than Iron Man and Spider-Man like you said, but better than a lot of others.

Hmmm...perhaps Cap America can be as good as the first X-Men movie, I think that's an acceptable expectation, no? Then again, if they do choose a high profile actor (Will Smith? LMAO! Bring on the purists!) then the expectation may go up. Iron Man's expectations shot up after RDJr was cast. Good thing too, since he was clearly the Alpha and Omega of that movie (well, there was also the pseudo-Taliban, heh).

And I'm still lauging at ANT MAN! Avengers, assemble: Iron Man! Hulk! Thor! Cap America! And....ANT MAN!

[face_laugh] x infinity

21. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    [image=http://i2.iofferphoto.com/img/1161500400/_i/14835207/1.jpg]

22. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    As long as it looks like this.

Slimy!

23. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
  24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
  25. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Yeah, I wasn't exactly thrilled to hear about this one either, as I think the Narnia movies are pretty much crap. Never know though...