main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Catching Aliens one at a time. TORCHWOOD. (Spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Juliet316, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Capt John?? He was SciFi staple James Marsters of Buffy fame and recently returning to his role as Braniac/Milton Fine on Smallville. He's a hot number the women love so I can imagine more than a few were caught gawking or even drooling as he made out with John Barrowman in more than one instance. :p

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    :) I know who Capt. John was... in fact as soon as I found out James Marsters was going to be on Torchwood I got very excited! (And yes, I was one of the women folk drooling!! =P~[face_batting] )

As he was entering the rift at the end he said "Oh, by the way. Did I tell you, I found Grey." And then we see a flash of a kid letting go of someones hand. I was wondering if I had missed who this Grey is, or if it is something no one knows yet!

3. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    No that was the first reference of the character as far as I know but given that the character of Capt. John is meant to be a recurring character I get the feeling they are planting the seeds for further stories. To the best of my knowledge that was the first appearance of the character in either Torchwood or Doctor Who, so any exposition of the character not told in that story is either a mystery or something that we will be informed of at a later date.

4. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    If you go on over to Torchwood.TV, the most recent post 'King of the Weevils' has small synopsis' for each episode of the rest of the series containing many spoilers as well as the episode titles!

5. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    So episode 5 Adam and episode 6 Reset two great episodes to continue what has been a fantastic season so far, it's hard to believe we are almost half way through.

Having Martha in Torchwood brings a whole lot of class to the gang, it's brilliant!

6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    These last two episodes were great! Although, I found it curious that each episode utilized distinctly different visual styles. In Adam, it was like they used the camera style from "24" - sudden pop zooms and zoom outs. In Reset, there was more of the herky-jerky speed-up/slow-down editing.

7. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    They've used those pop zooms in earlier episodes as well -- a technique I personally find irritating. Still, fantastic episodes, and definately a Tatooine vibe from the Boeshane!

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Watching Torchwood and it's been a rollercoaster ride the last few weeks. I wonder how Owen being one of the living dead will change things?

Next week looks comical with a potentially sad ending.

Oh and is it just me or has Ianto gained some weight? Jack not giving him enough of a workout?

9. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    SO the last episode of series 2 airs tonight in the UK... all I want to know is, are the rumors true?

10. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    What rumours?

11. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    There were rumors for ages that Tosh and Owen would both die in the final episode. Which turns out to have come true.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I KNEW I shouldn't have highlighted that before watching the episode.:_| :_| :_|

13. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Episode 2x13, Series 3, and Doctor Who series 4 spoilers ahead

On the plus side, we never see Owen actually dieing, so it is open for him to return.

As for Tosh, well I couldn't care less that she died. She was my least favourite character.

During the filming of the Doctor Who series 4 finale, with all the companions returning, someone spotted the farewell scene with Jack leaving the Doctor. Jack left with Martha and Mickey, so looks like Martha is replacing Owen and Mickey is replacing Tosh.

What's worrying is that the original spoiler that stated Tosh and Owen were leaving the show also stated that Barrowman would only be a recurring character next series, not a regular, and that it wouldn't be a full 13-episode series. Giving more likelihood to this fact is that apparently shooting isn't scheduled to begin until August, whereas for Series 2 it began in June. I just wish the BBC would confirm *something* soon, but somehow I get the feeling they won't do that until the current series of Doctor Who has finished.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Exit Wounds = :_| :_| :_|

15. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    I'm just hoping that RTD has gotten the memo that nobody ever really dies in science fiction, especially off-screen. (Yes, I am in total denial about Owen. He's my favorite character, darn it, and killing him twice is just excessive.)

16. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Well, Julie Gardner has confirmed that Series 3 is only going to be 5 episodes long, though there may be some more after that.

The 5 episodes will form one long storyline and be shown in the same week :eek:
    Source

EDIT: Surprisingly, I don't think the 5-episodes-only thing bothers me that much (let's face it, that's gonna be the best week of TV in the history of the world), but do they really have to do it the same time as Doctor Who is having it's gap year???

17. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    You would have thought that due to the reduced amount of Doctor Who in 2009, it would have given more reason for full series of Torchwood, but apparently not :( tis a shame, but I'm sure the episodes will be brilliant!

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    $80 dollars for a 13 episode Torchwood DVD set?!!! That's about as many episodes and of Chuck, Heroes, Pushing Daises, and Life and costs twice those DVDs!

This is Star Trek level extortion (For those that remember when the Trek DVD sets used to cost $140 dollars a season)

*Glares at BBC*

19. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    For a series about capturing aliens, they don't seem to do that much capturing. Sure, they snag the feral critters, but more of the episodes, if not most, seem to be more about dealing with which member of the team has gone nuts under the influence of ___ machine or some time displacement.

Or it is just me?

And remember when Farscape DVDs used to be $26 for 2-episodes, and they weren't even in the right order?

20. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    My understanding that their mission wasn't necesarily catching aliens but investigating and dealing with various alien and paranormal situations that could be potentially threatening. Sometimes that means catching the alien, sometimes that means sleeping with the alien, sometimes its simply blowing the living crap out of the alien...but mostly sleeping with it.

21. SaintTames

SaintTames Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2008
    Especially if it appears as if the alien is the same sex as the member doing the sleeping.

Tames Was Here

22. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I've watched Torchwood a few times, its alright but it hasn't exactly bowled me over. My main problem is I don't find any of the main characters that interesting or likeable. Jacks alright but I could take or leave the rest.

23. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Is that first or second season panther? Because ill be the first to admit season 1 wasnt that great, but season 2 vastly improves on it.

And the title of this thread is the only time I have ever seen 'catching aliens' being associated with torchwood. Maybe it was a (wrong) tagline for the show in the US but over here, never seen that.

24. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    So, is there going to be a series 3?
    Any news on that?

25. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    There is indeed, but it's only 5 episodes long and will be broadcast over one week.

It's called "Torchwood: Children of Time"