main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration Europe - A Success?

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by JED1, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    I know we as fans loved it but has anyone seen anything from Lucasfilm or any other official source as to how they have seen the success or otherwise of CE?

2. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I haven't seen anything official as such, but at the auction on the Sunday, Steve Sansweet pretty much said it's been a huge success so that's good enough for me, lol.
    I think it's fair to say they didn't expect the attendence to be as high as it was, so the vast numbers that did turn up (and to some extent the numbers that they had to turn away on Saturday) must have made a big impression and hopefully bodes well for another one :D

3. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I agree. I haven't seen any revenue figures, but based on the turnout alone, I'd say they probably consider it a success. It seems they got about twice as many attendees as they expected, and at twenty-some quid per person per day...

4. Darth_En_Ghedi

Darth_En_Ghedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    I must say I was disappointed with the lack of reports regarding CE if you compare it with Comic Con (not a LFL endorsed event).
    There was rumors that CE had much more attendance than CIV. I don't know...
    I entered and left so many times, they could easily count me 20 times... lol...

Overall I was happy to attend it, but I expected more of a party than the shopping spree we witness there.
    Much like Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clone, it will be better next time, if ever...

5. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Greater attendance than C4? I highly, highly doubt that. C4 ran for five days instead of three and it was in a space about ten times the size which was nevertheless usually pretty full. C4 broke C3's records, I believe, which seems weird because of the lack of an upcoming movie, but you never know how the fan's brain works. C4 was in a far more accessible and populated location than C3 and probably drew more visitors as a result.

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    perhaps calculated down to relative to size and # of days, then ;)

7. Darth_En_Ghedi

Apr 6, 2005
    Yes,TwilekJedi, that's what it sounded to me... Average per day attendance.

8. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    No, I think even when they calculated it down C4 still had more visitors per day. I think even the C4 lines were bigger then at CE, but they were simply handled better.

I still think they underestimated the number of visitors during the weekend, the place was too overcrowded. So CE became a victim of its own success. Hopefully they'll learn from this and either cap the lines earlier or just open up all the available halls at the ExCel.

9. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    One thing they do need to do, is not hold the opening ceremony under a flight path of the near by airport.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Speaking of the opening ceremony - it shouldn't be scheduled at the same time as a major speaker. I opted for Mark Hamill and missed Ian McDiarmid as a result.

11. Darth_En_Ghedi

Apr 6, 2005
    I honestly thought the opening ceremony would be much more interesting.
    I mean... How many times have I seen ANH? Lost count...

But I loved Hamill's "oops" and McDiarmid's connection to the crowd...

12. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    We managed to do both. Mark was over early enough and the OC started late enough. And outside, no lines.

and the good thing about the flight path was that one plane that flew over exactly as the Rebel Blockade Runner did [face_laugh]

13. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    Really? I think most of us went to Mark and made it back in time to find the rest of the people and had time to discuss the plans for the rest of the evening before the ceremonies started.

But I would think that whoever organized the opening ceremonies would have spend at least 5 minutes outside on the ground and would have noticed the fact that every 5 min. or so a plane passes by. :p

14. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I couldn't put it better myself :)

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We saw the huge crowd and decided against the Opening Ceremony. I think if we had gotten there earlier it might have been a different story. That's why I wish there had been some more leeway. We weren't about to leave Mark Hamill's talk early after spending almost 2 hours in line for it!

16. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    ah. granted, we didn't see Ian, but rather knew it was him talking on the stage (and Mark and Steve) because we were way in the back ;)

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We had pretty decent seats for Mark Hamill. We were about halfway back but we were on the side where he was standing so we could see him fine.

18. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Initally we were told 45,000 people had attended CE over the three days, but since then that figure has been clasified as over 30,000 people over the three days, which is still very impressive and unexpected. The CE website says it was a huge success, so I guss that could now be classed as the official Lucasfilm seal of approval :D

I actually quite liked the planes going over during the OC, and that it took place outside. It was certainly different but added a bit of flavour and made it feel more like a festival rather then a convention. The timing with the Blocade Runner was also perfect :-B

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We actually did some plane spotting from the Thames side of ExCel for a bit of a break. It was fun! However they need more chairs or benches in that area.

20. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    I honestly wasn't that impressed by the Opening Ceremony, but no biggie, I guess. They also gave Ian an excuse to escape way too early without making further appearances. :p

Regardless of the size relative to C4, though, CE was obviously more successful than they expected it to be, so I hope they'll plan for a larger crowd next time.

21. Darth_En_Ghedi

Apr 6, 2005
    I thought Lisbon was mad place to have an airport right in the middle... London City is actually between buildings...
    Planespotting paradise!

22. Nefertiti

Nefertiti Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2004
    I had a ball. Sure it was my first one, but there wasn't a second I wasn't smiling!

23. Darth_En_Ghedi

Apr 6, 2005
    It was overwhelming. That's for sure.

24. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    32,000 Officially

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.