main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chase over Endor (animation test)

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by DarkSapiens, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSapiens

DarkSapiens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2005
    No, hehe, the sizes of the ships are OK... The fighters seem a bit larger because they're still approaching the frigate when they turn right. You can see the shadows of that fighters at the nose of the Nebulon-B :D

The X-wing trajectory issue was a stupid error... I forgot to switch the trajectory spline interpolation to "uniform" instead of "adaptative". I didn't realise before that twenty-hours-long render.:mad:

And... the laser... Well, I think that laser never hit the frigate. It just disappeared before that. [face_laugh] The frigate should have been lit by a green light if the laser reached it. (I must adjust the life time of the particles, which I used to drive that lasers, hehe...)

I have to say that there's no post work in that clip. It's all made in Cinema4D, all ships rendered in the same layer, etc. so they cast shadows to each other, their lights affect the others, and things like that. They're all in the same environment.

Thanks for the comment!

2. JinxKatarn

JinxKatarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2001
    You've got an awesome start going! It looks like your open for feedback (I know I need it when I'm working on something), so here's what I see off your latest and greatest:

1. Shadows look way too harsh to me...I didn't see what software package you're using but if you can I'd either position 4-6 spotlights close in the same area to soften the edge a bit, or, blur the shadow map layer later in post (Photoshop/After Effects), or if you have Mental Ray as an option setup an Area Spotlight with it's emitter setup right. The last two will probably give you the best results without sacrificing shadow accuracy.

2. If your models are unwrapped properly, you might consider baking an ambient occlusion texture on top of the base textures. You could also (software permitting) just render out an ambient occlusion pass and then layer it on top in post (using multiply as the blend mode).

3. I like the coloring of your lighting, but it feels like the light direction may be off. Honestly that's up to you...Star Wars has always been infamous for preferring style over realism, so you honestly have a lot of freedom with that. To my eyes, I expect to see the majority of the light in the scene coming from the planet's direction (light being reflected off the planet's surface), or at least a strong light source from that light reflection.

You're off to a great start though and it's cool to see someone determined to get it right. Not a lot of people like posting their work for critique and that's a good sign that you do.

3. rathb18

rathb18 Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2006
    Hi I'm having trouble with my space battle I'm trying to build.
    First I'm wondering how in 3ds max do you make the ship disapire
    after it fired at?

Thanks for any help you can provid.

4. DarkSapiens

Oct 2, 2005
    Well, I don't know what will think scifi_3d_zoo about your post... [face_thinking] But I'll try to help you. :)

First of all, I use Cinema 4D instead of 3ds max, but in my program you can animate certain parameters called "visible in render" and "visible in editor". You can add keyframes to switch their value On/Off. I suppose there will be something similar in 3ds max. Good luck!

And about my animation... well, I had no time to work on it, because I was busy doing a little thing for Star Wars: Threads of Destiny.
    But one day I was messing around and came up with this image. Hope you like it. :p

[image=http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1083/hyperspace2luzsw4.th.jpg]

I'll have to improve a lot of things for this battle of Endor, and sure if I have time I'll try to do that. I'll take into account your comments and critics, of course. [:D]

5. DarkSapiens

Oct 2, 2005
    Argh, I don't know what happened with the link to the image. Here's the good one:

http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hyperspace2luzsw4.jpg

6. jfx

jfx Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2006
    =P~ Nice...

7. DarkSapiens

Oct 2, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.