main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chicago Cubs

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Strilo , Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I can't believe they got rid of DeRo. =(

2. Darth_Eradycus

Darth_Eradycus Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2004
    I think they did it so they can get Peavy with the three prospects they got in the trade. But they are gonna miss him badly. Hopefully the FA they picked up from St. Louis will at least be serviceable. We need some d and bats, not pitching. Can't expect a 1-0 win every night. Maybe this year their bats will wake up in the playoffs, assuming they can stay healthy and get back.

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I can't think of any other way this could be excuseable other than the Peavy deal. DeRosa was easily a large part of the Cubs success and Aaron Miles is no substitute to his athleticism and sportsmanship. If this was a move to dump salary the Cubs should be ashamed.

4. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    As a Cubs fan, I'm going to miss Mark DeRosa. I'll miss Kerry Wood even more. But let's look at what we've managed to net. Aaron Miles is now a Cub and pending a physical, Milton Bradley is going to be a Cub. That's two switch hitters in case you weren't keeping track. Bradley can be played in the middle of the lineup to break up the right handed hitting and Miles is a potential leadoff guy. You've also improved your infield and outfield depth in the process. Utility players are great and Mark probably would still be in a Cubs uniform if batted left or he could bat switch.

Jason Marquis is also gone. He was just traded to the Rockies for Luis Vizcaino, which increases depth in the bullpen. The Cubs do have the pieces to deal for Peavy now thanks to the trades and free agent signings, but if they don't trade for him in the offseason, Sean Marshall will likely become the number five starter. Everything looks to me like Hendry is doing everything he can to set up the deal for Peavy. If the Cubs get Peavy, they solidify the five-man rotation that includes Zambrano, Harden, Lilly and Dempster. Let's face it. That's a stacked starting rotation especially when you realize that Sean Marshall might possibly be on the team pitching long relief and can substitute for injured starters.

Let's judge this scenario. So the Cubs dealt Kerry Wood and Mark DeRosa in the offseason. They've acquired Aaron Miles and Milton Bradley so far. If future deals include Peavy, guess what? It's a good deal. Even if the Cubs don't get Peavy in the offseason, you think Hendry won't be trying to get Peavy during the regular season? Let's look at the bright side of these deals.

5. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Kerry Wood was not dealt the Cubs simply chose not to re-sign him. Mark DeRosa's departure on the other hand is looking like a salary dump move. I don't think the Padres are in the position to deal Peavy as of right now. They are most likely getting a new owner and Peavy was only put on the market because of the financial trouble San Diego had. The Cubs are in complete limbo with their payroll, Marguis and DeRosa were dealt to get rid of their salary not because Hendry needed pieces for Peavy.

Aaron Miles is versatile but he is a downgrade from DeRosa. The DeRosa loss is devastating because it can easily be inferred that he was the leader of the Cub clubhouse. And to see a class act like DeRosa be dealt to make room for someone as unpredictable and angry as Bradley is upsetting.

6. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    Maybe a guy like Bradley is what the Cubs needed last season. Ramirez gave Boston the spark they needed to overcome their World Series title drought. I like DeRosa just as much as any Cubs fan, but we needed lefties. Aaron Miles wasn't enough, so Bradley was needed. I'm sure a lot of fans will love Bradley if he finally gets the team to their first World Series since 1945.

7. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    The Cubs were in position to win a World Series last year. In better position than they had ever been, but the whole team froze in the playoffs and if we forget DeRosa was the one who showed the slimmest bit of life in his post-season performance. This isn't a good trade unless we go for Peavy.

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    This is 100% correct.

9. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    If the Cubs' recent joke of a choke upset you, this won't. Fergie Jenkins and Greg Maddux are both getting #31 retired in recognition of their storied careers and I couldn't be happier. Both are essentials of Cub lure and were class act players.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's awesome. Greg Maddux is one of my all time favorite Cubs.

11. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah he is probably my all time favorite ball player. Fergie getting this recognition is long over due. I am getting tickets for the game

12. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Someone needs to tell ESPN that the play they keep comparing to Bartman wasn't exactly all that similar. The outfielder didn't have a real chance to catch it, so what's wrong with a fan getting it in that situation? Sure, he was sitting in the same area, but that's really about it.

Oh, and non-black cats aren't generally considered unlucky anyways :rolleyes:

13. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I am sick of hearing about Bartman myself. To his credit the guy has not tried to profit off what happend to him. I remember hearing that he was offered severeal deals for promotional work for various Chicago institutions and I believe they invited him to Cubsfest or another sports convention to sign autographs. Moises Alou himself admits that he wouldn't have been able to catch that ball had Bartman not interferred. If I place blame on anyone it's Mark Prior but doing that is like beating a dead horse which I choose not to do. We lost, it happened. Looking back has only created problems.

I will be at the Maddux and Jenkins ceremony and game tomorrow and as of late the Cubs look like they may snap out of their problems. By no means is it time to panic but this was a very disapointing start to the season and Milton Bradley will soon explode in a over the top fashion. I hate that he was signed particularly with Kosuke Fukudome stepping up as the player we know he can be. Bradley simply isn't a fit in Chicago.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I hope Bradley makes a quick departure from the Cubs. I had hoped to catch a game at Wrigley when I visit the midwest in a few days, but it looks like that won't happen. I might convince my friend Scott who works for an airlines to use one of his passes some weekend this summer so we can fly for free to Chicago and catch a game.

15. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I still love going to Wrigley even if the Cubs are in a bad rut. The experience is truly amazing. Cubs fans define what Wrigley is.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    What's happened to the Cubs lately? They have not looked good...

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    They suck. :)

18. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Actually I think they are a very dangerous team still. Of course since I'm a Brewers fan I aways believe that. Lots of season to go and I won't be overlooking them.

19. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah they have no excuse for that 8 game losing streak. Early enough in the season not to press the panic button but they desperatly need a decent trade

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am reasonably confident that the rest of the season will be this way.

21. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Your far too cynical to be a good Cubs fan:p Yeah I don't think they will make the playoffs or contend at this point but I think the team still has a good enough core to at least post a respectable winning record. Remember in 2007, they were in roughly the same position they were in now at this point of the year. Still I don't think a dramatic turn around is in the cards. I'm putting my money on St.Louis getting the division.

22. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Hey the Cubs did something they should have done a few months ago... beat the Dodgers:p :p :p

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Torre left Billingsley in too long..................................that, and the Dodgers couldn't hit today.

24. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    7-0 against the Dodgers!!!!

And I got to watch!!! Great game.

25. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Hopefully Dempster is beginning to come around. He looked fantastic yesterday. What does everyone think of Randy Wells? Good young kid who despite not winning a game has a 1.80 ERA in like six games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.