main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I believe it comes down to Maul wanting to take over Death Watch legitimatically, and therefore following the traditions of the people so that they won't see him as a usurper, but a rightful leader. In Tales of the Jedi, Ulic Qel-Droma fought Mandalore on Mandalore's terms, and won his loyalty by defeating him. Similarily, not all Mandalorians were happy about an outsider taking over the clans during the Sith War.

Since Mandalorians admire physical prowess and tactics, they (probably) see the use of the force as a power the weak can fall back on when they aren't fit enough to fight with their body and mind alone. And being Mandalore means being physically superiour. If Maul had usen the force extensively like he would against a Jedi, I doubt many of the Death Watch would have accepted him as their leader. Bo-Katan would probably have been nominated as Mandalore instead. What good is a Mandalore if he doesn't respect his people's traditions?

Random Comments likes this.
  2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Maul as Mandalore.

[​IMG]

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, he never calls himself Mandalore, and he is pretty intent on being a behind the scenes leader with Almec as Prime Minister, but otherwise, yes, I agree. While I don't think the force makes one invincible, I think Maul was focusing on his considerable physical abilities to win the genuine respect of the watching warriors, alongside an appeal to the tradition they are so obsessed with.

Just force choking Visla to death would have just made Maul look like the super powered bully he is. Besting Visla in a swordfight, however, allowed him to show off his skill as a warrior.

Definitely got a very Ulic vibe from the whole thing - especially when Almec first suggested the whole plan and was pointing out its historical precedent, though I wished he had named Ulic directly.

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Actually, that was Savage.

The only time Maul actively used the Force was to call Viszla's darksaber to hand. After the fight was already over.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You know what just hit me?

What Maul did was basically a smaller scale version of what Palpatine did to the Republic in the Clone Wars.

Slater, Ghost, Zorrixor and 2 others like this.
  7. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Is Anakin a Padawan in Yoda: Dark Rendezvous? That's Clone Wars discussion, right?

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope- he's promoted immediately after Jedi Trial- and Dark Rendezvous is some time after that.

In the new timeline, those novels may take place earlier, but they still take place in the same order.

9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    He's a Mando.... he's got that whole mind thing that Jaina learned from Boba and Co.

10. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    So it could happen anytime between Jedi Trial and Nightsisters?

11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    She did fight back, there were multiple extended sequences of her police forces fighting against the Collective in the streets. It's just that the New Mandalorians were losing, or at least they weren't winning as fast as Death Watch could rig the game in their own favor, making the Duchess and her forces look (unfairly) weak in comparison.

12. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I think they show she did fight back but was basically powerless... her security forces were just incapable of fighting against the threat they were fighting. You don't send baton wearing policemen against heavily armed gangsters and Sith... Don't think she just went back and said 'I am a pacifist! I won't send my forces to attack these criminals'. I think basically the police that were fighting the Shadow Collective was all she had available... but thats just my view.

Also, anyone liking the Black Sun soldier uniforms? I quite like the design and the armored look... even if it means that all Falleen are now Black Sun members :p Also, I really want to see Maul vs Dooku but don't think that will happen.

And what is it with Mandos always following under the rule of a Sith? This is getting to be a stereotype :p

13. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    Clan Ordo was not, Clan Skirata was not, if I find more I'll be back;)

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Slightly amused that the Mandos -- who conquered so many worlds in their past -- were so upset at being attacked and enslaved themselves. Obviously these are different people and all, but yeah, it's a change of pace. Of course, the Rebellion would later imitate Maul's trick by releasing Black Sun onto Imperial Center.... fitting, I suppose, that evil groups should act so alike.

I suppose now we know how the whole Mauldalore thing happened. Strange that the Mandos would be so mechanistic about it -- yeah, Maul defeated their leader in front of their very eyes, but it all seems very... tribal. Although I guess that fits. Still, I admire the Mandette or whatever her name is for sticking to her guns... :p

Mia Mesharad and TheRedBlade like this.
  15. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Pre Vizsla's incarnation of the Death Watch very strongly seeks to emulate the ancient Mandalorian Crusaders—this season, anyway; Season 2 they were Neo-Crusaders and Season 4 they were Tor Vizsla's Death Watch. So as a mirror of Ulic Qel-Droma's duel with Mandalore the Indomitable, the Death Watch's submission to Maul very much fits with the ideal they've fashioned themselves after.

That would be Bo-Katan. And mark my words, they'll make a Mandalorian Protector out of her.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Everyone knows what this means, right? Cut off the leader's head in personal combat, you take their place?

Say hello to the real Mandalore....

[​IMG]

17. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The day they decided to create an alliance between the two Sith brothers, the Death Watch, Black Sun and the Hutts is the day the apocalypse started.
    The Galaxy sure is not big enough...

18. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Come on! Maul's ship is first captured by Hondo's pirates.
    Later on, his ship is captured by Death Watch...
    Is this really a coincidence?

If my ship was captured by pirates and afterwards by Mandies I would consider myself the unluckiest guy in the Galaxy.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly, I am just thrilled because all the arcs of Season 5 barely feature Obiwan or Anakin, which means the Republic comics and the novels can mostly still be continuity during this time period. I mean I didn't think Jedi Healer would ever be thrown out. And Quinlan Vos and K'krukk can basically go on about their business during the time period. With this season we have arcs about Ashoka on Onderon, R2 and a bunch of droids, and Maul and a bunch of original characters on Mandalore. So I don't mind they have disgressed so much.

20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That's a really interesting point. [face_thinking]

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    According to The Essential Reader's Companion, YDR's timeline placement hasn't moved. It's still set like six months before the end of the war. Not sure how well that will ultimately sync up with TCW, though.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe Ventress will eventually return to Dooku's side?

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    It was clearly Veentress.

24. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Why has no one ever followed up on that crucial bit of lore from TTT?

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Unlikely coincidences.....in my Star Wars???

edit: I get your point, but I'm willing to overlook such coincidences if they lead to cool things happening.