main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Wars style remake of the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DARTH_small_paw, Feb 26, 2013.

1. DARTH_small_paw

DARTH_small_paw Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    What would you think of a remake of the Original Trilogy in the Clone Wars style? The remake could have the exact dialogue tracts and follow the OT to the letter but add consistency with the special effects and environments featured in the films. The fight scenes could be remade in a more PT style. I know this would never happen but what are your thoughts on it as an idea?

Discuss.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Interesting. I'd certainly watch it but then I'm pretty open to reinterpretations.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'd buy it. In fact, I wouldn't mind to see an animated version of all six movies. They wouldn't even need to work on sound at all.

4. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm not sure what the point would be. Perhaps you can elaborate?

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I wouldn't want a shot for shot remake. That would be boring and pointless, even if it is animated.

What I could get behind is an original series done in the style of TCW with the OT characters as the main cast.

6. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    I like the idea. The original trilogy re-imagined with greater art, effects, and better continuity based on the prequels. No one can seem to swallow a live action remake of the trilogy itself, but seen in a different medium it's totally acceptable.

But Clone Wars animation? No thanks. I know it has its highlights. I will say it looks bad and too cartoony--and then someone will find an exceptional scene with brilliant art. Or a bad ass action sequence or light saber battle. Or some awesomely dark moment that doesn't befit the product's reputation as a kids show. I get it. Look, it's not all bad. For what it's worth, the show is actually pretty impressive for what it is.

But at the end of the day, I want something...less cartoony. More real. At least for something on as grand a scale as an animated re-do of the OT. Something like this:

I'll bet those cut scene animations were very high dollar, and that a film trilogy (let alone a TV series) featuring them might be unrealistically expensive. But that doesn't mean they couldn't aim for something closer to that, and farther from the cartoony-esque look of the Clone Wars show. Imagine remakes made in that fashion--with Luke, Han, Leia, et al. being rendered so accurately in CGI--and even voiced by their live action counterparts. It's practically a live action remake with better technology and all the same guys from thirty years ago.

I agree. They could explore new people, places, and adventures. They can still recreate the original trilogy and follow Luke's story from beginning to end, but also show more in-between while also building on some of the prequels foundations and making the continuity better. That's why a TV show is probably better than counter part films.

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  7. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I’m fine with the idea of SW Saga reboots if the story is new, but I don’t like the premise put forward in the opening post. The OT came first. The OT is not inconsistent with the prequels. Rather, the prequels are inconsistent with the OT. If this kind of shot for shot remake was going to be done, I’d rather it be done to the prequels so they look more like the originals. Not that it would fix the issues of the prequels by any means, but it’d look more like the originals.

Also, I love that aforementioned The Old Republic trailer style. I’d love to see more animated Star Wars like that. To me, those three trailers are better than the entire prequel trilogy, so the more the merrier when it comes to that style.

8. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    As a big fan of ALL SIX MOVIES, and THE CLONE WARS. I respectfully say NO!

If they do this, it must be exactly like the movies, down to the slightest bit, same thingfor the prequel trilogy

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  9. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I'd rather see them put their energies into entirely new stories.

That being said, I love TCW an it would be pretty wizard to see the OT in that aesthetic.

Did I really just say "wizard"?

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  11. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I'd like to see ANH done up in CW style. That film feels light already, so it'd fit the cartoon styling of TCW. I don't see a CW version of ESB working, though.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No please no.

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  13. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I agree leave them alone. Let's move on to the sequel trilogy.

14. Death T

Nov 12, 2012
    Why not? It wouldn't hurt anything. It wouldn't replace the movies. None of your beloved actors would be blasphemously replaced (unless you count voices). It's just a way to view the Saga in a different medium. Just like the movie novels. You can watch Empire Strikes Back or you can read the book, but the movie isn't going anywhere.

I'm totally against live action remakes of any kind, but an animated series or film saga would be interesting. You get the benefit of better special effects, light saber battles, and story continuity without undoing the franchise and enraging the fans. Those who don't care for the project could simply ignore it, as many do the Clone Wars TV show.

Then what's the point?

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. An animated remake is just a dumb idea.

16. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The actual saga is broken and doesn't work together. The OT needs redone in the style of the PT or the PT needs redone in the style of the OT in order for them to seem like they exist in the same universe. I think an animation of all six flicks might be able to accomplish this. Add to that, all of the bits of the two trilogies that didn't mesh together could be sort of blended together with subtle changes to make the out of sync "facts" work together. Totally for it.

Death T likes this.
  17. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    The point isn't to 'fix' the OT. The point is to make a separate take of the OT in animated form to see what it can add to the story of the OT. I'd love to see a different take on the Hoth battle, for instance

18. DARTH_small_paw

Sep 7, 2012
    I know its unpopular to say so but I would say yes the saga is "broken". I mean "broken" in the sense that in between the two trilogies and now with TCW there are 3 VERY different and very contrasting types of movie trying to tell one overarching sweeping story. So my main gripe with the saga is the lack of cohesion. As a whole I love Star Wars (obviously or I wouldn't be here) however it is in my view a VERY dysfunctional and disjointed collection of movies and plots. Much of the consistency has been inferred and explained away by the fans, which is FINE and we love doing it, however with how realistic and subtle Lucasfilm animation has become, I like to entertain the fantasy of redoing all the visuals in animation style while keeping the original voice tracks, shots etc but adding consistency and cohesion to the overarching saga in terms of character, plot, special effects, etc.

19. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    If there is going to be consistency throughout the saga, I don't think you would be able to reuse the vocal tracks. For instance, Ben and Darth trading barbs in calm, non-winded voices only works when they are just standing around hitting each others lightsabers together every 7 seconds while not exerting themselves.

20. DARTH_small_paw

Sep 7, 2012
    I think there are ways around situations like that... however I wouldn't mind some revisions to some particular Anakin/Padme dialogue circa Episode II...

21. Death T

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm not sure how you can really fix too many continuity issues by re-using the vocal tracks when you need new dialog (and maybe even new scenes) in some cases. I kind of hi-jacked your idea in an earlier post and suggested hiring the live action actors to voice their animated counter parts. In the case of the prequel trilogy, that would be just as good as re-using the vocal tracks--as for the OT, obviously Alec Guiness is dead and everyone else has aged, but you'll be surprised how young a good voice actor can portray themselves. Just an idea, since I've taken a decidedly more liberal approach to what you suggested in the OP. =P

22. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    This

23. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    As cool as it would be to see this, I don't think it would ever seriously be considered by Lucasfilm or Disney. With the reactions to the various tweaks already made to the original films, I can only think of a project like this being yet another field of landmines to toss out into an already very divided fandom.

That said, along a similar lines there is the "chance" that we'll see Detours in some format down the road, and while it isn't a recreation of the OT, it is an animated take, albeit a comedic one, on that era. About as close as I think we're going to get to the type of project you're suggesting here small_paw. We might see some spin-off series or stand alone films set in the OT given both the popularity of the Clone Wars series and the speculation that Disney is trying to distance itself from the prominently PT-centric focus that has been the rule for the last decade or so. Putting out more OT focused material is certainly a way for Disney to say to the hardcore OT only fans that they're going to do their utmost to make the ST feel as close to the OT as possible and bring the somewhat ostracized (real or imagined) OT fans back into the fold.

If we ever do see a devoted scene by scene remake, even visually, of the OT I think we're going to see it out of the fan community before we ever see it pursued officially. Something along the lines of Star Wars Uncut (PLUG!), but maybe with a bit more continuity stylistically. ;)

24. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    That would be awesome! That or by a Japanese manga house!

25. Death T

Nov 12, 2012
    That's a great idea. I'd love any kind of OT media at this point. The Clone Wars stuff has really been overdone. It'd be nice to see a TV show or something set during that time or even between ROTS and ANH.

I wouldn't be opposed to an anime-esque production myself. I'm a fan of 2D animation and a more mature art style (or even something like Avatar) would suit the series well in my opinion.