main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Des Moi, IA Comic book stores in Iowa

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by BKK, Dec 31, 2011.

1. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    Hey, any Iowans know of any local comic book shops? I just started collecting comics again after almost 20yrs and tried googling "Comic book stores Iowa" but aren't to sure how accurate the results are. One of the websites I went to had a masterlist but on most of them they were last verified in '04......

If you know of any feel free to post'em here or PM me.

I'm in Iowa City btw....

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I could tell you the Des Moines area ones but I don't know anything about Iowa City. Sorry.

3. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    Heh....I know the one in Iowa City, I meant in the other cities in Iowa, more like Dubuque, Davenport, Des Moines, Ames, Cedar Rapids.

Haven't been to a message board for a long while now, this place definitely seems slower than back in the day, guess no new movies will do that.

4. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    Our favorite store to get comics is Jay's CD and Hobby on SE 14th in Des Moines. You'll find tons of comics new and old, among many, many other things.

There are also Mayhem comics in Des Moines and Ames. We're not as fond of them, but they do have a good selection.

Also Cup o Kryptonite in Des Moines has treated us well for a very long time, but they won't have nearly the selection as the others mentioned.

5. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    I forgot there is also a nice little shop in Cedar Falls on The Hill. The shop owner was very cool to us. I'd do business with him if I go to Cedar Falls again.

6. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    Thanks for the replies, I may check a few out of those out. Looking for volume 1 type stuff, was a big collector back in the 80's/early 90's so I want to fill in some holes. There's a comic book convention coming to Iowa City on February 4th at the travel lodge hotel right off of Interstate 80, hopefully they've got some dealers with a lot of back issues and decent pricing.

Thanks again.....

Brian.

7. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    Oh and FYI that the comic shop "Cedar Rapids Collectibles" is now out of business. The owner passed away on Christmas Eve (bummer....) and his family sold the entire collection to a store in Dubuque, not sure which store though, don't know how many are in that area.

I was fortunate enough to be the last customer during the first week of January before they sold the comics to the comic store, they must not have had much business even when the owner was still alive. Family said business was slow and offered me 35% off all prices, I got some sweet sweet deals.

8. Araminta

Araminta Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2016
    There is a comic book store in downtown Iowa City called Day Dreams. I personally think that it has a good variety of comics. :yoda: