main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Could Tartakovsky's Clone Wars be rebranded?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Guy-Gone_Weird, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    This is something I thought about when the name for the Filoni series was revealed to be simply "Star Wars: The Clone Wars". I knew there would be confusion with the micro series because of its very similar name, but it seems lately that LucasFilm has been actively brushing the micro series under the rug. Hasbro has been instructed to no longer make figures based on the series (though they sneak them in anyways), and even Genndy himself seems to think that the original series is being intentionally pushed aside.

The reasoning for this seems to be that LucasFilm thinks that kids will get confused. I happen to know kids and adults alike that have watched TCW, then see the micro series for the first time and they understand it just fine. In fact Volume 1, as well as Chapter 21, serve as a great lead in for The Clone Wars. Chapters 22-25 admittedly could confuse a little since it jumps ahead beyond TCW (and may be overwritten), but I think the series deserves to be promoted.

As much as it alters the original work, I think the best solution is a rebranding of the micro series. I think this could easily be accomplished by simply retitling the series "Star Wars: Tales from the Clone Wars" or something along those lines. No changes even need to be made on the series itself, just a new name for the DVDs and menus. (even though the micro series will still start with Star Wars: Clone Wars, Star Trek: The Original Series starts with "Star Trek" with no confusion) Then LucasFilm/Disney could resell the series as a tie-in to he current series with minimal confusion. This isn't anything new to Star Wars - the original film was rebranded "Episode IV: A New Hope", the first Ewok Adventure became "Caravan of Courage", and Ewoks and Droids were later given a "Star Wars Animated Adventures" series name. And of course Raiders of the Lost Ark was rebranded to match the sequels.

What do you guys think? Any other name ideas?

Also, if the series was re-released, would it make more sense to move Chapter 21 into the first volume?

Dark-Fox likes this.
  2. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    3D owns 2D

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Yeah, no. 2 hours of awesome beats three and a half seasons of trash.

4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    The different look of the micro-series is enough to set it apart. I don't see them going to the trouble to re-name it. You can just look at the cover and see it's not the same show.

5. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I think it's a shame that Star Wars Clone Wars is being buried as I loved it. Do you guys remember the recent article TFN linked to? I felt so bad for Genndy Tartakovsky when I read it. This is my main problem with the Star Wars right now: why does so much established content from many talented folks get swept aside without any regard for artistic integrity? I mean, if you're going to let people add to your world the least you can do is respect what they add.

That's what I respect about Dave Filoni and his team. You can tell he does his absolute best to maintain expanded content as much as possible, throwing in references to people and places whenever he can. That's :cool:

6. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    He should throw in Durge into an episode of TCW as something of a nod to Tartakovsky's Clone Wars series ;)

7. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That would be kind of weird to see in TCW IMO.

8. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I think Durge would be a fantastic addition, albeit toned down a little. I loved him in the first series!

9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    2D CW is 10 times better than TCW, every villains are so deadly and powerful.

Esg, darthscott3457 and Zeta1127 like this.
  10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It'd be nice if they re-released it but it doesn't need rebranding.

The micro-series was well made, and it's surprisingly nostalgic now, but it completely lacks any variation of tone or any character development. The difference between the two shows really illustrates GL's mastery as a storyteller.

As for people still comparing the two, SW fans aren't happy unless they have something to hate on, and some kind of imaginary division they can keep resurrecting as a platform for endless arguments.

There's no way 120 minutes of action can match the depth and variety Filoni and Lucas have brought to their series, and nothing Genndy did can approach the characters they've created (Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Hondo, the clone commanders etc). It's simply a more complete and satisfying viewing experience. That takes nothing away from how entertaining and well made the micro-series was.

Valairy Scot and TreborSabreon like this.
  11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Some character's characterization is worse than even 2D CW, such as GG and Dooku, 2D CW gave them better roles, Dooku stayed behind the stage to train others, GG was a Jedi Killer rather than some dumb ass.

Before Maul's return, TCW simply lack of a dreadful villain beside Dooku and he should not show up too much.

Of course, TCW brought some cool character like Satine, many people dislike her but she's my favorite female character in SW.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hey, until The Clone Wars does Battle of Courscant IT STILL HAPPENED, GOSH DARN IT!

13. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Have to disagree about Dooku & Grievous. Dooku just spouts cartoonish one-liners in the MS, in TCW he is a fully realized character who is spinning plans within plans, and gets to do something other than say the word "Sith" twenty-five times every ten minutes. The MS Grievous was made in the dark, that's not GG, period. The scene is okay but doesn't feel like SW and is completely wrong - Jedi don't cower in fear and freak out when cornered, that was dumb!! "The Lair of Grievous" was ten times better than that nonsense. GL's take on GG is more interesting than a cliched "total bad ass duuuuude!!!".

I'll agree about Satine: great character. GL knows what he' doing.

TreborSabreon and Dark-Fox like this.
  14. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks for reminding me of that introduction to Grievous. It may seem dumb now but at the time I thought it was great. The use of sound and close ups on the padawan Sha'a Gi to build suspense was brilliant. That last scene in which Grievous launches himself at Mundi before it cuts to Yoda, framed by the flash of lightning is still so well done that it can't fail to give me shivers every time I watch it.

15. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    People, people..

Micro-series=STILL BETTER.[face_coffee]

Enough said.

Lady_Skywalker87, Esg and Zeta1127 like this.
  16. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    It's funny how some here refer to CW Grievous as a cliche when GL modeled his version of the character (the retcon) as literally a robot Snidley Whiplash. CW GG wasn't a cliche, he was just a compitent villain. I guess people just aren't used to seeing something like that in Star Wars these days.

Esg likes this.
  17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, Dooku's words in 2D CW fit him perfectly, especially his dialog with GG, taught him how to fight jedi and he also got plans.

That scene is great rather than something like got beaten by Gungans in TCW. One young Jedi could fear and cower before him, I don't know what's the big deal.

18. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Alright dude, you like it, that's cool, I liked it too, just go on enjoying it.

I just don't think it's as good as what came after, or as complete. TCW should be a sprawling sequence of stories that go all over the place, not a couple of action sequences. Like I said, Genndy's talented, it was a great little treat for SW fans, but TCW gives us so much more and in a way that harmonizes with the films.

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah it gave us a lot of stuff but

In 2008 when I heard the release of TCW I felt it's not necessary, because it's just 3 years and we already got 2D CW plus many EU stuff in the CW era. The series is ok especially Anakin's character is better than in the movie, but the series is also clearly shackled by the outcome of EP III and had to retcon a few stuff in EU, and compare to 2D CW the villains are not handled well. Such as 2D GG, that's something even the Jedi have to fear, not the dumb ass in TCW.

20. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Mirco-Series = Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    TCW = Star Wars: The Clone Skirmishes

or

Mirco-Series = Star Wars: The Clone Wars^Awesome
    TCW = Star Wars: The Clone Wars^Not So Awesome

or

Mirco-Series = Star Wars: The canonical adult depiction of the Clone Wars
    TCW = Star Wars: The simplified semi-canonical children's depiction of the Clone Wars

Esg likes this.
  21. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    You obviously never got past the first season. It's way more mature and complex than Genndy's 120 minute action sequence. But I guess there are always people who just want SW taken out of GL's hands. Be patient, it's coming.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  22. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    People, people..

TCW=STILL BETTER.

Enough said.

Of course, I'm just having some fun with you, Togruta. I would never make a blanket statement like that as it would be foolish of me to toss around my opinion like it's fact, and something tells me you weren't entirely serious either. ;)

After all, while it's true that yes, I prefer TCW (and Eternal-Hero has a done a fine enough job of extolling its virtues), I really enjoy the micro series for what it is and I look at its early chapters as the story of the first months of the war that TCW skipped over before kicking things off with the Battle of Christophsis (and I was happy to note that Leland Chee and LucasFilm agree). The only potrential sticking point in trying to harmonize the two will be the Battle of Coruscant (if TCW does what we all expect it to and tells its version of the battle), but hopefully some considerations will be made to try to keep the two versions compatible.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  23. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    To be entirely honest, I've always found the micro series to be the more child-friendly of the two series, what with it's lack of subtlety, the goofiest LucasFilm villain ever in Durge and no character depth or story development at all. If either of the Clone Wars series is a kiddie show, for me, it is hands-down the micro series. It's not even close.

And in spite of all this, I still like it. I just know where it stands with me.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think the Mortis concept is cool but the writers later created Abeloth based on that meh. Such race is cool to make a cameo but not as some super villain.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  25. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Micro-series vs. TCW.. I actually didn't find a thread specifically about that old debate. You'd think there'd be one, but there is this thread (Genndy haters beware).

And TreborSabreon, you left out the coffee.. >__<

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.