main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Could Vader have ruled the Empire?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The Kulvax Sisters, Jan 15, 2014.

?

Would he have been effective on the throne?

1. No, he was never a true leader.

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. No, he would have been easily tricked and over-thrown.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Yes, he had vast experience and was a galactic figure.

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. Yes, he was too powerful for anyone else.

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    If Vader's plan to eventually over-throw Palpatine via either Luke or Galen Marek had worked, would he have been an effective Emperor himself?

Would he have ruled with impunity or would he have been over-thrown as well?

2. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Some Moff: "Look over there! Isn't that your dead wife?"
    Darth Vader: "While I see nothing, I'm going to continue to believe what you're telling me"
    *Some Moff shoots Darth Vader in the back of the helmet*
    Some Moff: "Way too easy. Chosen One my butt."

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Palpatine might have been more sublte, but Vader was not stupid. He would have been more blunt, but not stupid.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes he could have. He was powerful enough.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No, brute might and raw power do not make a true leader. I don't think Anakin even knew what being a leader means.

OBI-TUE_KENOBI likes this.
  6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    If he could gather up the Moffs and other leaders of the Empire and I think he could have. After all he had the power to do so. So I think it's possible

7. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I just don't think that he was a big picture kind of guy.

Bacrof likes this.
  8. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'd say with Sidious out of the picture Vader could have seized the reins for awhile, based on his power and the element of fear, but I don't think it would've lasted. Anakin/ Vader was not a puppet master in the sense that Sidious was and I can't see him keeping all the plates in the air for that long. Please excuse mixed metaphor...

SithStarSlayer and Sarge like this.
  9. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    I find everyone's lack of faith in Vader disturbing.

10. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Vader's main problem was that he didn't learn anything until the end of "Jedi". Like all who fell to the Dark Side, the only thing he focused on was maintaining personal power, others be damned. Seeing Luke refuse to kill him is what finally turned him back to the light.

Also, from a physical standpoint, his reliance on technology was a huge weakness. One large power surge was able to completely shut down his life support, which would've made him an easy target in some situations.

11. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    Can't agree here, he was already damaged when he threw Palpatine down the shaft and what killed him wasn't just a power surge, it was Force Lightning from the most powerful being the galaxy's seen, his suit was actually made to resist electric surges and absorb them, but he took Palpatine's lightning point blank at maximum magnitude and he was STILL alive when they reached the hangar bays of a giant moon-sized battle station, dude could take a beating.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  12. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    Ezekial You've been warned about these off-topic swipes before. Drop it or you can have another ban.

13. Bacrof

Bacrof Jedi Master

Aug 20, 2002
    Vader's approach to everything is the brute force approach. You can't solve every problem by turning over every rock and beating everyone over the head with a stick.

Running an empire requires a little bit of thought.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Marvel SW tended to play up "Vader the cunning schemer" though also "Vader the killer of his own subordinates at the least excuse".

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Indeed. Folks need to read betwen the lines. Vader was the right hand man of the most powerful Evil Genius™ the galaxy had ever seen. One simply cannot retain such a position for as long as he did by being the dimwitted brute some people believe he was.

I for one, am tired of Vader being the victim of the Worf Effect when it comes to scheming.

Sarge, VadersLaMent and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Tales of the Bounty Hunters, when talking to Dengar:

"I'm not the Emperor," Vader said ominously. "I don't kill for amusement - only when it serves my purposes."

17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Unless a future film reveals he had a brain transplant at the time of being put into the suit, the evidence presented shows that Vader was incompetent.

only one kenobi likes this.
  18. Bacrof

Bacrof Jedi Master

Aug 20, 2002

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't think Vader was stupid. I think he was direct. There's a difference. He didn't have the patience to scheme and plot.

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    The sense I got, especially from the novels, is that he had the patience and aptitude for intrigue, it just wasn't his favorite thing.

20. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    The Worf effect?

21. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Steve Perry employed the Worf Effect. He dumbed down Vader so Xizor looked smarter so he could eb some kind of challenge.

I wonder, since Worf might be getting his own Star Trek show, will this be used?

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    If Vader and Luke did overthrow Palpatine, and Vader took the position of emperor with Luke as his apprentice, I'm pretty sure that "Darth Luke" would be able to overthrow Vader on a whim. We saw how easily Jedi Luke beat and nearly killed his father when he gave into his anger in ROTJ, imagine him as a full fledged Sith Lord.

24. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I agree Luke could take over but would he join the dark side?

25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think he'd do it easily. He did turn in the Dark Empire comics. Yet, I don't think they'd really be able to rule together because Sith tend to be selfish and power hungry at least shown as they are in the films. Yes, I see you are speaking of Luke overthrowing Vader but the topic is Vader. I don't think Vader could rule himself either he didn't have the discipline or the patience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.