main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ David Bowie to come to New Zealand!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Mr_Deflok, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Deflok

Mr_Deflok Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2003
    Not exactly Star Wars related but 85% of the stuff in this forum isn't anyway. Bowie is coming to NZ, that's right, NZ, better yet he's coming to Wellington... only. NOT AUCKLAND!! HAHAHAHA! HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE SHUNNED BY A MAJOR ACT FOR ONCE EH?! HA! Now that's out of my system, to the details: Tickets will go on sale on the 27th of this month, no prices have been attached as yet but don't expect them to be cheap. The concert itself will be held at the Westpac Trust Stadium (ala CakeTin) on the 14th of February (so romantic!).

Please post anymore details you may come across about the concert here :)

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The full Press-Release for you.

[blockquote]Sydney Show Sold Out In Under An Hour!

Now New Zealand Get Ready
    DAVID BOWIE
    ?A Reality Tour? 2003/2004

ONLY NEW ZEALAND SHOW AT A FULLY SEATED WESTPAC STADIUM, WELLINGTON
    TICKETS GO ON SALE THURSDAY 27 NOVEMBER

Currently garnering rave reviews and absolute fan satisfaction, DAVID BOWIE?s worldwide ?A REALITY TOUR? will touch down in Wellington for his Saturday 14 February 2004 concert upon completion of his sold out UK, European and North American performances.

Clear Channel Entertainment and Dainty Consolidated Entertainment announced that ?A REALITY TOUR? is scheduled to visit New Zealand and Australia in February 2004. The tour coincides with Bowie?s new album REALITY, which was released in September and follows last year?s critically acclaimed, million-selling HEATHEN album.

Tickets for ?A REALITY TOUR? go on sale on Thursday 27 November. Members of BowieNet, Bowie?s pioneering online community, can buy tickets before the general public at www.davidbowie.com from Thursday 20 November through to Saturday 22 November. General public can buy via a special Internet pre-sale commencing 9am Sunday 23 November to Wednesday 26 November.

DAVID BOWIE last toured New Zealand in November 1987 on the GLASS SPIDER TOUR, to a record breaking crowd at Western Springs in Auckland.

?A REALITY TOUR? promises a mixture of Bowie?s extensive back catalogue of hits as well as songs from the REALITY album. Bowie and his band, who have rehearsed over 50 songs from every era of his career, will alter set lists from night to night keeping each concert distinct throughout his Australasia Tour.

BOWIE will be backed by the same stellar musicians he worked with on the REALITY album: Sterling Campbell (drums), Gail Ann Dorsey (bass/backing vocals), Mike Garson (keyboards), Gerry Leonard (guitar), Earl Slick (guitar) and Catherine Russell (backing keyboards/backing vocals).

In recent years, BOWIE has concentrated on more intimate, one-off special live events, which have led to some legendary shows such as 2000?s two sold-out shows at New York?s Roseland Ballroom, last year?s Carling Hammersmith Apollo show in London and his return to Berlin at the Max Schmelling Hall. Intermixed with these intimate events have been handpicked, sold-out festival dates including appearances at last year?s Area2 shows in the U.S. as well as the spectacular 1999 closing night performance at Glastonbury.

?A REALITY TOUR? is scheduled to play to over one million people in 17 countries over a seven-month period. ?Last year?s shows were such a tremendous high and the audiences so responsive,? says BOWIE. ?My band is playing at the top of its form right now and it would be foolish not to play a tour this year while we're in such good spirits about the live show aspects of our work.?

Spectacular quotes from this year?s tour include:

?Rarely can a rock legend have been sighted having such brazen fun with his own past without descending into nostalgia for its own sake." And "With the sonic choreography of a brilliantly cohesive band, a 135-minute concert became an intimate party."
    The London Times, London

?It is the hit of the year, served up with taste and special effects. Elegance, energy and music: the artist offered his fans an extraordinary evening.?
    La Republica, Milan.

?Bowie is in great form. His concert takes us through his music history?His group, perfected by years together was a perfect arsenal. The tour had barely begun, yet the sound was perfect.?
    Le Monde, Paris.

?A REALITY TOUR?
    2004 TOUR DATE & VENUE

Saturday 14 February: Westpac Stadium, Wellington

Tickets from Ticketek (04) 384 3840 / (09) 307 5000,
    online at www.ticketek.co.nz and outlets[/blockquote][hr]

Anything else you wanted to know? :p

3. Mr_Deflok

Sep 15, 2003
    Ah, the priveledges of working for Sony... You know how much the tickets are going to cost?

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Nope.

5. Mr_Deflok

Sep 15, 2003
    Nightline had a little spot on Bowie coming down to NZ and why he's not going to Auckland, during this they said standard tickets are expected to cost around 80-90 dollars.

6. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Good seats - $175.00
    Crap seats - $95.00

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    well, I've got my tickets ... just need to book a flight down now.

presumably you've got yours as well, Mr Deflok? I wonder how well they're selling.

8. Mr_Deflok

Sep 15, 2003
    Yup, got my tickets! Funny thing is though now we all have to wait several months before we can get to use them!

[shameless site plug]http://www.aimoo.com/forum/freeboard.cfm?id=532913&NoCaches=Yes[/shameless site plug]*

I've just started spreading the word about the forums beyond this one here.

9. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    So... are you doing a walk off?

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    A who-what? :confused:

11. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    A walk off!

[image=http://www.celebritywonder.com/mp/2001_Zoolander/ben_stiller_david_bowie_owen_wilson_zoolander_001.jpg]

12. squidichlorian

squidichlorian Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, I certainly hope he actually shows up this time! I lost a lot of $ thanks to that whole Gisborne debacle back at the turn o' the millenium - tell 'em JP! Tell 'em how your poor gullible yankee friend got suckered!

Just joking around of course,( about him turning up, not about losing the $, sadly) I'm exceedingly jealous - i've seen him before and he's fabulous live. :)

Irritating American Imposter Signing Out.
    ;-)

13. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Hey Squid!

(JP's little brother you met when you came to NZ)

The one thing I remember distinctly is the Rebel Alliance Tat :) Pretty cool.

14. squidichlorian

squidichlorian Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2001
    (JP's little brother you met when you came to NZ)

yes, hello there! i was only just recently in nz again! (oct. 27-nov 9th) My first chance to meet your brother's little hobbits! Do you live in chch all the time now? I was there..well, for a day at least. Next time I'll plan better, i promise.

RE: yup, that's me with the rebel alliance tattoo...and here's a funny one, i was in (of all places) a gas station in here in San Francisco when a girl saw it and rushed over to show me HERS. It was the regular old outline, but filled in with celtic line patterns. It was like: an LOTRish/SW tattoo! Crazy! But very cool.

At any rate, already planning the next trip back. I'll see you then - and tell JP to have the chocolate afghans ready, i'm down to my last one! :_| -squid

15. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, those kids are great aye I miss em heaps, esp. Leila cause she is getting a really awesome personality to her these days. And Henry will be causing mayhem by the time i see them both again haha!

Yea, living in chch now cause I'm at university here. Final year in my degree '04. But will prob do some post grad work. And with our parents moving from auckland - i had nothubg there really, and am boarding with Chansplace (from these boards) and his fiancee (Enapie also from these boards) and working down here. Look me up if you're in chch next time!

anyway, back to Bowie :p

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    yes, back to Bowie ///

It's funny how a gig can sell out in hours in a place like Sydney, and yet sell really really slowly in NZ. 'Cause I can only assume you can easily buy tickets and will be able to until the day.

Anyone going to Robbie/Duran Duran?

17. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    There's a therad for Robbie / Duran Duran - check that, JP is - can't think of anyone else.

18. Mr_Deflok

Sep 15, 2003
    So far 25,000 tickets have sold and 5,000 are in reserve, that leaves 5,000 left, not too bad since tickets went on sale to the general public last Thursday.

19. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Anyone else from Auckland going down to Wellington for the Bowie gig? Should be a good night ...

Be a nice chance to see "Return Of The King" at the Embassy as well.

20. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Mr_Deflok

Any idea who the support act is for Bowie? The US and Europe got The Dandy Warhols, and Australia is getting the incredibly mediocre Something For Kate.

Have reappraised "Heathen" and "Reality" ... and have decided they're both great songs. The stuff I've read about the current tour set suggests he plays most of "Reality", as well as choice picks from the 70s Glam and Berlin albums. Can't wait.

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm not going down, though half of my office (those above me) are. :(

Dunno if you've seen but the tour edition of Reality has a bonus DVD of that live cinema worldwide (except NZ) simulcast he did. Basically the whole of "Reality" live.

No word on support as yet...

22. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Once again, a case of the "I've bought the album when it came out and i don't really want to buy it again" syndrome.

Ahhhh ... bloody record companies.

(Sorry JP)

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement. ;)

Anyway, the DVD's worth the price alone. Oh, and the extra track on the CD's pretty cool - a cover of Waterloo Sunset.

24. Mr_Deflok

Sep 15, 2003
    Hey guys! NZ's Brooke Fraser is the opening gig for Bowie, she's gonna have a 40 minute set. This upsets me, I'll admit that Miss Fraser has talent but 40 minutes? That 40 minutes too long. I want Bowie! However I'm hoping she gives a damn good performance because you don't open for Bowie and play like crap. On the other hand, if she plays horribly it'll make Bowie's performance seem even more godly. Ah well...

As for the re-release of REALITY, the first thing I said when I saw it at Real Groovy "You bastard." I've got 5 different versions of 'Ziggy Stardust...' now, I'm a complete sucker for Bowie albums. There's a SOUND AND VISION boxset which has four hours of unreleased and live material which I should be getting soon too. Oh, back to REALITY (no pun intended), jp is right, the DVD warrants the purchase (or re-purchase). I'm actually gonna design a DVD Cover to put it into.

Anyway, take care!

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Whether Brooke plays for 10 minutes, 40 minutes or 60, it will have no bearing in what time Bowie starts or how long he plays for.

So I'd suggest you pay her some courtesy even if you are amping for David, she's a great performer. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.