main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Deadpool, the (Golden Globe-nominated) Movies!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, May 6, 2009.

1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I can't see it being good.
    Sorry.
    Hopefully he'll turn it down, or the offer will be withdrawn, or it just won't work out.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, RR can do action/humor very well at times (Desparado, Dusk Till Dawn, etc) but he has to make sure he doesn't go too zany, otherwise you gets Spy Kids. It'll probably depend on how well Predators does- that's a more serious action flick more in line with what Deadpool does, then he can just let Ryan do his thing for the humor.

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I really hope this movie doesn't make it off the ground unless they recast the lead. Ryan Reynolds is doing Green Lantern and I think it is going to confuse people with him as the lead in a different franchise movie. He did a good job in Wolverine but with the make up Deadpool would be wearing the role could easily be recast.

Plus I'm not sold on Rodriguez, I don't want this to turn into Spykids as The2ndQuest said.

4. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Now, see, I hated those movies, so they don't count as recommendations to me. And I could be wrong, but wasn't he partly responsible for SinCity?

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, how did I forget Sin City? Yeah, he did do that, and I absolutely loved the hell out of that movie. Perfect combination of violence and wry humor. You know what? Remembering that washes away all my hesitation about RR's involvement. Bring him on.

It seems a poor reason to recast someone perfect for a role just because they were cast for a different franchise.

Besides, between the makeup and mask, that should at least partially address any issues with him playing both roles- since you're not going to see his real face much as Wade versus seeing his face (minus the lone ranger eye mask?) all the time in GL.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I thought the first two Spy Kids movies were a lot of fun (didn't see the third).

And "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" is my favorite Rodriguez movie - was not a fan of From Dusk Till Dawn.

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    RR would never turn an adult superhero movie into Spy Kids. You can see in his body of work that he can easily go switch gears between kids movie and hard R. No fear from me whatsoever.

8. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Quick look at IMDB for RR. Hmmm... Of the movies I've seen, the only one that was remotely OK was The Faculty, which was just a teen-angst generic horror flick. The rest... Nope, not impressive.
    Certainly not what I'd want to see associated with either GL or Deadpool.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    See, I felt The Faculty was among his weakest efforts. It's the only one of his non-Spy Kids films that I'd sell the DVD after watching it.

The El Mariachi/Desperado/Once Upon a Time in Mexico trilogy is fantastic, Dusk Till Dawn was fun (if disposable, despite the Tarintino-verse connections) and Sin City, IMO, was damn awesome.

His short "film school" extras he shoots for his DVDs are also very informative- he does have some great tricks for shooting on a low budget.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ryan Reynolds Discusses Deadpool Script

?It goes in such a different direction than a superhero movie usually goes, ... It?s a nasty piece of work. It?s just based in so much emotional filth, completely. It?s like ?Barfly? if it were a superhero movie. It sort of treads into the world of an emotionally damaged person. I always say that Deadpool is a guy in a highly militarized shame spiral?. It?s so different than the superhero movies to date, it departs so far from that.?

?With Deadpool, it?s a lot like going to prison for the first day,... You got to walk up and hit the biggest guy you see to establish a bit of cred. With Deadpool, early on you have to establish that moral flexibility. There?s a gamble to it ? you?re going to lose a few people right at the beginning but you take the gamble and know that eventually you?re going to win them back. You won?t lose the hard-core fans of the character, they already know who he is. We have to play to a broader audience than that. As an actor you have to be willing to do something like ? back in Vancouver we used to call it a [nasty] burger. ?You gotta eat the [nasty] burger to get to the cookies.? And yes, I want to write a cookbook about that??.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So about a month and a half ago, it seems the script for the movie leaked at NYCC, so some details and reviews have made their way online (though they have since been taken down at Fox's request). The reviews were apparently raving, saying it comes across like a Tarintino film, crossing the "bleak horror of TDK" with the "spectacular highs of Iron Man", blending the two genres extremely well:

In its best moments, Deadpool is like reading Van Wilder meets Kill Bill, a genius mix of insane dark comedy and ridiculous over the top violence the likes of which we've never seen in any other superhero movie before."

The same reviews suggest, based on the script, that ""it'll only work with Ryan Reynolds. The character of Deadpool is written in his voice, his style, and when you read it, it's impossible not to hear him talking in your head. It'd never work with anyone else but if Reynolds really steps up and takes on the role, it could be the defining moment of his career. Deadpool could become a pop culture icon; he could be Ryan's Captain Jack Sparrow. He's that good.""

The movie apparently starts with Wade at the peak of his career, with his origins fleshed out in flashbacks, and "This script eliminates that problem (the Deadpool origin in the Wolverine movie) brilliantly by, well, mocking it. The script never comes right out and mentions Wolverine, it's all accomplished through one specific subtle reference, which says everything that needs to be said. It's as though the character of Deadpool exists in a world where Wolverine is a movie that he's seen, and hates. Deadpool literally throws everything Wolverine did to screw up this character in the trash can, and then spends the rest of the movie endlessly poking fun at the celebrity of Hugh Jackman."

Some other characters appearing based in script spoilers:

-Blind Al (who spends most of the movie trying to assemble IKEA furniture)
    -Patch the dispatcher
    -Weapon X cameos: Wyre, Ajax, Sluggo and Garrison Kane
    -Vanessa Carlysle (Wade's romance with her is apparently a big part of the story, though she's not shown to be Copycat/a mutant)
    -Colossus (""...there's a huge role in this movie for Colossus, one of the most famous X-Men who has never really gotten a proper treatment on screen in any of the X-Men movies. Colossus had a cameo of sorts in X-Men 3, but here he gets a personality and plenty of fight scenes, at times serving as the straight man to Deadpool's morally ambiguous hijinks. It's a genius pairing; an indestructible superhero odd couple who work so well on the page that you'll hope that the sequel will find a way to put them together permanently."")

One last, great, tidbit that I so wish to be true on every official level of Marvel continuity now:

"WADE sifts through various MASKS in the back of a costume
    store. For ****s and giggles, he puts his fist inside a
    SPIDER-MAN MASK.
    He stares at the mask a moment. Then, on a hunch, turns it
    INSIDE OUT. The inside of the mask is RED. With BLACK
    AROUND the EYES.
    Wade SMIRKS. INSPIRATION has STRUCK."

It sounds too good to be true. You read all that and you wonder- "How will Fox **** this up?"

In other news:

http://www.deadpoolbugle.com/2010/10/rumor-adam-berg-to-direct-deadpool.html]Adam[/url] Berg rumored to direct Deadpool

http://io9.com/5682151/rhett-reese-talks-zombieland-2-deadpool-and-becoming-a-novelist]Interview[/url] with Screenwriter Rhett Reese

While Reese wouldn't speak to the rumored director would-be's he would, however, talk about the difficulty of making a Deadpool movie in general. What do you do with a character who's beloved for being "in the now" ? in that you don't care how he came to be, or where he goes after this, you just love following him around. How do you create an arc for that character, given that his chief lure is his total shallowness?

"Ultimately, I think despite how fun he is in the now, we really did want to explore how he became that way and why he became that way, we definitely delve into that

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For the continuation of the current "I Rule, You Suck" vampires-themed (er, sorry, "draculas"-themed) story. Now officially added to my list of Favorite Deadpool Covers:

[image=http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/33806/1466050-40_deadpool_31_super.jpg]

[face_laugh]

I really wish there was a caption that read "If at first you don't succeed...".

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ryan Reynolds Still Keen On "Deadpool"

?Deadpool?s still in the works. I?m not sure how logistically it works in terms of scheduling, but yeah, I want it to happen?

Reynolds adds that it won't interfere or confuse "Green Lantern" fans - ?Those two universes are completely different. Superhero movies are so pervasive in pop culture, I don?t look at the as superhero roles as much as just roles. They?re such different people. Deadpool is about a guy in a highly militarised shame spiral, Green Lantern is more universally themed.?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fox Has Shot "Deadpool" Test Footage?

Comic writers Rob Liefeld and Scott Lobdell showed up at the Arizona Comic Con last weekend and according to Bleeding Cool they dropped a surprising bit of news about Fox's proposed R-rated X-Men spinoff comic book adaptation "Deadpool".

?They?ve got a great director on the movie, they?ve got a great script. I may or may have not seen some sort of test of footage that would blow your mind if you saw it and go holy crap and that?s Deadpool in costume. Katana swords, guns, shooting people?s faces off and making me laugh" says Liefield about the project which still has Ryan Reynolds attached to reprise the role and Tim Miller slated to direct.

Liefield goes on to say "I may or may not have seen something that looks just like that. And you?ve got what would amount to the first R-rated X-Men movie. Because that script is R-rated? They may or may not have wanted to shoot eight minutes to see how it would play. And all I can tell you, it?s close. It?s closer that it?s even been to going, or going Naaah, that?s too scary a proposition to make an R-rated Deadpool movie."

15. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    As a recent Marvel fan who's taken an extreme liking to Deadpool after watching clips of him on YT, I really hope this happens. [face_praying]

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    "Katana Swords" is multiply redundant.

If they are going to do it, I hope they go balls-out and do it properly. Make something to blow away Punisher:Warzone.
    But do it RIGHT.

17. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Wolverine origins completely crapped on the Deadpool character. I'm afraid he's beyond repair. And i certainly don't want Ryan Reynolds to play him. lets see his track record. he played Deadpool in the wolverine movie and completly screwed him up so bad that i couldn't believe what i saw. then he goes then he jumps on the other teams side and does a green lantern movie, which completly sucks a**.

people say he's really a fan of the comics and want's to do it justice, that's complete cr**. Hugh Jackman is a fan of the wolverine comics and never screwed up the wolverine character, in fact they are going to be making a wolverine movie that is true to the 80s 90s comics where he is in japan.

And i actually do believe that Jackman has read the comics, not just for his job but for fun.

18. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    From the various interviews over the years, I get the impression that Reynolds has read the comics and is a fan of the character- at least since he became aware of the character after the Deadpool comics started talking about Wade looking like Ryan ten years ago.

And, at least IMO, he's perfect for the role- some of his scenes in Blade Trinity seemed like flat-out auditions for Deadpool (which is what inspired the comics to make the Reynolds quip that led to his casting). His brief scenes as (pre-Weapon X) Wade in X-Men Origins (and his TV spot) were probably the best part of that (IMO, very mixed effort) movie.

And don't worry about how Wolverine Origins completely ruined the character (nor blame Ryan- he didn't write the role, and by taking that job as-is, he's been able to help steer the development of the solo film to something nothing like that version of the character), as the Deadpool movie will apparently address that:

"This script eliminates that problem (the Deadpool origin in the Wolverine movie) brilliantly by, well, mocking it. The script never comes right out and mentions Wolverine, it's all accomplished through one specific subtle reference, which says everything that needs to be said. It's as though the character of Deadpool exists in a world where Wolverine is a movie that he's seen, and hates. Deadpool literally throws everything Wolverine did to screw up this character in the trash can, and then spends the rest of the movie endlessly poking fun at the celebrity of Hugh Jackman."

20. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    First of all, let's get something straight real quick, Jackman didn't know wtf a Wolverine was, until he was handed a script for the first X-Men movie.

Reynolds played Deadpool to a tee, at the beginning of the movie, and it's the direction and writing that screwed up his character at the end, by making him a mutant Frankenstein. So don't blame any of what was bad about Origins on him.

That jumping the other ship thing? Screw that, tell it to the fanboys that can't stand that some people read more than one companies books, and as long as they're portrayed correctly in a film adaptation, and do it well, who cares who plays him? You want to talk jumping other ships? How many artists and writers ahave gone back and forth between DC and Marvel over the last, what 20 years maybe? If they're good enough to write and draw your god damn funny books, than I don't think you should be offended that Reynolds went to do Green Lantern, especially since Deadpool has been on a backburner for the last couple of years.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2010/04/27/buried-poster.jpg] [image=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bXv3n3LZS_Y/Tz7QHtum-bI/AAAAAAAAJ0g/mExJKAaHbSQ/s1600/DPOOL054cov.jpg] [image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-X-zsldzumEc/Tz7QILZbkjI/AAAAAAAAJ0s/X_eMDe7PmOA/s1600/DPOOL055.previews.jpg]

So the solicitations are out for the upcoming comics- the conclusion to the current "Dead" storyline is a parody of a poster for a Ryan Reynolds film, and the next issue obscures his face.

Given that the Dead storyline is about Deadpool seeking out the serum used to kill Evil Deadpool (and reverting ED back to a non-tumorfaced state) in the previous storyline so that Deadpool can finally fulfill his wish of dying... I can't help but wonder if we're going to get Wade actually looking like Ryan, as sort of an advanced tie-in build-up for the movie?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I would pay money to watch an animated show about Deadpool and Boba Fett hanging out at Disneyland.

25. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I would love to see a Deadpool movie get made but it seems like they have been working on a script for a really long time now and it might be one of those projects that just stays in development hell forever. Hopefully it will get made but I'm starting to lose hope.