main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Deepest Roots (post YV War; Luke, Mara, and Ben) Ben interupts his parents during an argument.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by madman007, Mar 16, 2012.

1. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Well, I screwed up.

This was supposed to be part of the February Challenge with a specific mundane chore that's taken over their Valentine's Day. Because of this being so long ago, I neglected to read the Valentine's Day part. Besides, I was given gardening, and I just couldn't come up with a situation where L+M would do that as a chore. Is there such a thing as too mundane for some people? So here I am with a story written without a part of the challenge so it would be disqualified as part of the challenge. Now it's just a stand alone story.

That's okay. It's mid March and Valentine's Day is long gone anyway. And I wasn't going to rewrite it to add just that aspect of the challenge. It would have ruined what I had already. So, enjoy it as it is now. I also wanted to get this in before the move.

As always, enjoy and review as you see fit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deepest Roots

Setting: On Zonama Sekot 34ABY after the Yuuzhan Vong war

"I can't believe you've got me doing this," said the reluctant Mara Jade Skywalker.

Her husband asked beside her, "What's so unbelievable about it?"

"The fact that, through all my experiences and training over decades, you actually have me gardening."

"Technically, it's not gardening. This is a lesson in the Force."

Each of them were sitting cross-legged in a field of various plant life on the living planet, Zonama Sekot. The Yuuzhan Vong War was over. Luke and Mara could rest and enjoy time with their son, Ben, who had just arrived shortly from the Errant Venture. Within a few days, all of the surviving Jedi would convene on the living planet where the Yuuzahn Vong called a truce to the war. Luke prepared a speech that would discuss the future of the Jedi. In the meantime, Luke thought it was a good time for his family to relax and enjoy the unique nature of Zonama's make up. He also tried to squeeze in a small training session with his wife on the relationship between the Force and the living planet. He focused it on flowers. Mara tried to refuse.

"Don't you think I'm over the training phase by now?"

Luke smiled but shook his head. "A Jedi is always in training. Knowledge is endless, Mara."

"Whatever. So, what am I doing again?"

Luke reverted to his calming instructor's voice. "Try and concentrate on a specific plant or flower that you are familiar with. It can be from anywhere. Picture it in your mind."

"Flowers aren't exactly my forte."

"Humor me. Close your eyes. Concentrate. That's it. Imagine it coming through and blooming right in front of you. Excellent. Now, Mara...look before you on the ground."

She opened her eyes and gasped. A small bush of a plant suddenly appeared where it hadn't been a few seconds ago. The roots were plain and unflattering, but the buds formed petals of the richest color of swirling purple and white. They were quite stunning to look at. Mara had to catch her breath at the sight. She uttered, "A rutolu bush."

Luke looked on and said, "I thought that looked familiar. Native to Coruscant if my memory serves."

"Yes. They grew like weeds along the walls of buildings. They used to grow along my window in the Imperial Palace when I was very young. I thought they were beautiful when others dismissed them as pesky weeds." She furrowed her brow. "Wait a minute, these are indigenous only to Coruscant. How did they grow here?"

"Through you, Mara. Zonama Sekot is a sentient planet. It's connected to all living things that come in contact with it. Especially with those in tune with the Force. It knew your deepest thoughts about the bush and created it from your memory."

"It can do that?"

"Oh, yes. And much more."

"Well, that's new. What's next?"

Luke stared at her in his way to tell her she wasn't getting away that easily. "Why a rutolu bush, Mara?"

"I told you. It was something I thought was pretty when I was very young. Nothing big." She bit the side of her lip in hopes that her husband didn't catch her spark of emotion. He did.

"Something else triggered this memory, Mara."

She sighed

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fantab characterizations and great expansion on the end of TUF - which fits right in. Mara and Luke both are techy about their pasts - duh! It would be odd in the extreme if they didn't.

Love how they "mend fences" fast though LOL They could have lost each other at several horrific points duirng the war [face_thinking] which sorta puts momentary snits in perspective :p

3. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    "The fact that, through all my experiences and training over decades, you actually have me gardening."

For some really odd reason, I was reminded of a scene from Secondhand Lions... "Gardening is what retired people do! Make you live to be a hundred!"

Loved this, Madman. Well done. :)

4. Mondra

Mondra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2010
    Loved it, such a cute one-shot! Very nice characterizations, a bit of strong emotions and some banter with good writing on top! :D
    So lubed! (is that a real word?)

5. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    He also tried to squeeze in a small training session with his wife on the relationship between the Force and the living planet. He focused it on flowers. Mara tried to refuse.
    Gotta admire both their tenacy :p

"Flowers aren't exactly my forte."
    Really? [face_laugh]

"Well, that's new. What's next?"
    Hard to impress, huh, Mara? :p

She bit the side of her lip in hopes that her husband didn't catch her spark of emotion. He did.
    Of course! I love the beat here!

No, you were his destructive pet project
    Uh huh... storm blowing up... [face_worried]

"I'm sorry."

"Me too."

"I guess we can let him enjoy this while we can. Before we start his training."

After a moment, Mara replied, "No. We don't have to start his training just yet."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. And you better not make me admit you were right or I will think of a dart plant to shoot at you."

"Wouldn't dream of it. What changed your mind?"

After a longer moment of reflection, Mara answered, "After all of my rigorous training and hard lessons I had at a young age, I believe we can give our son something he deserves that I was never given."

"What's that?"

"A childhood."

She didn't have to see his smile, nor neglect his warmth as he snuggled closer from behind her and whispered into her ear, "That is so lubed
    ."
    Amazing moment, perfectly captured!!! [:D] Kudos for actually making the argument nasty! [face_peace] I think Luke and Mara bantered a lot but argued seldom - but when they did they were both edged enough to be able to cut deep!

=D= Exactly the kind of fic I can't get enough of! [:D] [:D]

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely piece

Humor an emotions mixed nicely

7. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I love family moments like this. :)

Great job!

8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Aww! [face_love]

I love the symbolism of the flowers that Ben grew.

Beautiful.