main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Destiny

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Katana_Geldar, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I haven't been using this with my group as I'm not really sure how to use it given that my campaign is so mutable. Does anyone else use Destiny? I'd like to see how it can be done as I don't have any ideas.

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Don't we already have a thread about epic destiny use?

3. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    This is about Star Wars, NOT D&D! The Destiny points and stuff

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I'd probably wait until the campaign has been going for a while so you know what the chars & players are like and assign a destiny to whichever character without the player knowing. Maybe even telling them you have but not what destiny it is?

5. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    So I guess I should make the campaign less mutable? I haven't done big overarching ones yet anyway

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Or even more mutable. If you don't tell the players what their destiny is, it allows you to change it based on their actual actions within the game.

7. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    It is entirely optional. IMO its for GMs and who want their campaign to end up at a certain climax. I think of it as a story hook for PCs that has rules.

If your campaign is going well without it, I'd definitely say just don't use it. Its a storytelling crutch, pure and simple (not that that is a bad thing all the time)

8. buellsmith

buellsmith Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2009
    I am going to attempt to use it in my game, with character knowledge as to what destiny they have. I thought it could give some type of character motivation, I will add more when i get it. But i guess the basic idea is that destiny is used more as a story element. Like in the films where characters have there own destiny. Its kind of a cool mechanic and I have actually used something like this in my old star wars games, not as a mechanic, but i gave each character a secret destiny in which they could fulfill and each one would find out clues along the way to fulfill it.

Its an optional rule for GMs and players alike. It could lead to a result of some of the players having it and some not having it. The interesting thing about destiny as it is portrayed in SAGA, its it seems to be fairly generic and open. Like the Destruction Destiny. there is quite a latitude in figuring out what needs to be destroyed by the story and game, the GM would have a lot of options with this.

I can recommend the order 66 podcast episode 7 where they talk about destiny. http://www.d20radio.com/

9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I can see it gives players a lot more control over the story than they otherwise might have had. Whatever happened to a good old fashioned backstory, I'd like to know.

It's decided me anyway. I make my campaigns a little open in a way to allow for player creativity without completely going off the rails. I'm not using Destiny unless the players want their character to have a particular one.

10. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I've heard with the new Rebellion era guide that this has changed a little. Anyone care to explain a bit?

I still hate rules crawls, BTW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.