main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Diary Challenge 2013 question for mini challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    This challenge was created in 2007 by the_wandering-shadow. It was/is such great fun, that it should be done again...and again and again and again. Now under a sock to ward of DRL, so if something happens to your current host (JediFalcon) the thread will go on anyway.:D

Teh Rulez:

1)
    You have to keep the diary of a character for a whole year. It does not matter if it's canon cast or OC, AU, non-Star Wars, whatever. Write the diary of a droid, surprise us all. There was a diary of Yoda's Lightsaber once. Nothing's impossible!:D

2)
    You have to update a least twice a month. You can update as often as you want. Just remember you need to have enough story left for the rest of the year.;)

3)
    The length of the updates does not matter. Write a paragraph, write pages, do what you want. Just do it.

4)
    I'm the keeper of the documents, meaning the Indexer. If you fail to update for a month, I'll send you a reminder and give you another week to update. This means seven days from the missed month update, not seven days from the date of the PM. For example, if your diary was last updated on March 3, and you haven't updated in 31 days - April 3 (NOTE: the number of days is subject to the number days in a given month, so if you last updated in February, it would be 28 days +7), you would have until April 10 to update, regardless if I failed to PM you until the fifth of April. If you fail to update after the extended 7 days, you're out. NO Exceptions! If you want to do NaNo, keep that in mind. Do some updates up in front, you'll be amazed how little time to write you might have.

5)
    Make my life easy, will you? PM me when you update your diaries. [face_batting]

6)
    No posting (and writing) until January 1st 2012 [face_shame_on_you]
    Think and talk as much as you want though.

7)
    There will be a mini-challenge each month. I will give you a theme or topic to integrate into the diary. It is NOT obligatory, just something to get your imagination running.

8)
    If you failed to update for a month three times, the next time you don't update for a month, the diary will automatically drop out of the challenge. It does not matter if that three times are in a row or scattered across the year.

9)
    Voting for the winner will be in the first two weeks of January. Everybody may vote, so invite your readers to do so, and everybody you know.

If there are any questions left, post them here in the thread or pm me.

Old Challenge Threads:
    Dear Diary Challenge 2007
    Dear Diary Challenge 2008

Dear Diary Challenge 2009
    Dear Diary Challenge 2010
    Dear Diary Challenge 2011

Dear Diary Challenge 2012
    Dear Diary Challenge 2013

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    2013 Index

The Winner:
    Artoo's Frazzled Circuits: TTT Diary by Hazel

------------

The index will be sorted by era and title. The color coding is as follows:

Green = within the updating schedule
    Orange = 14 days without an update.
    Red = one month without update, you have 7 days to update, or you're out of the challenge

Before the Saga

Days in the Healers ward by earlybird-Obi-Wan completed

The Saga

Up in Flames by Thumper09 completed

Order 65 by JediFalcon completed

Beyond the Saga

Artoo's Frazzled Circuits: TTT Diary by Hazel Completed

The Journal of Talon Tantiss by Jedi_Lover completed

Students by earlybird-Obi-Wan completed

Non-Star Wars

Child of the Universe - The diary of a 235 year-old teenager by Hazel completed

Mini Challenges

January Cold
    February Crimes of Passion
    March Sick day
    April Showers
    May Random
    June Storm Skies
    July vacation disaster
    Aug n/a
    Sept n/a

Out of competition

Even More Very Secret Diary of Appa by NYCityGurl Updated Dec 01 2013

Shark Kibble: The Datapad of Student ISBTECH 815761 by Kahara Updated Oct 31 2013

Dead Diaries

I am Supergirl by Ceillean Jan 05th 2013

The Diary of Mer-Fi Laa by Volund Starfire January 01st 2013

In the Grim Darkness of Ponyville by moosemousse updated Jan 29th 2013

Rogue 9 orThe Diary of Valin Horn by windu4 updated Feb 05 2013

Seeing Red - The Diary of a young Mara Jade by MavJade Updated Feb 19 2013

A Man is an Island to Himself. by Lea-El updated Mar 04 2013

The Secret Diary of Walter Mitty Jr. by Lazy K updated Mar 01 2013

Through it all by smuggler_vola updated April 25 2013

Diversion by DarthIshtar updated Apr 30 2013

Perspectives: Journals of The Chosen One and his Rogue Master by Alexis_Wingstar May 14 2013

Journal of a Free Woman by Alexis_Wingstar May 12, 2013

The Han Solo Diary by benkenobi1 updated March 26 2013

The Mists of Bedlam by TrakNar updated April 28 2013

Journal of A Spartan by Volund Starfire updated Apr 23 2013

A Muggle in Wonderland by Alexis_Wingstar updated Apr 20 2013

The Aqua Diary by Alexis_Wingstar updated May 08 2013

Just for Laughs--The Joker's Diary by Volund Statfire updated Apr 23 2013

Holo-Diary of Master Dooku by CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Updated June 30 2013

Black, White, Grey and Red by Briannakin updated June 30 2013

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  3. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    The 2012 Index

The Winner:
    Artoo's Frazzled Circuits: The OT Diary by Hazel

---------------------------

The index will be sorted by era and title. The color coding is as follows:

Green = within the updating schedule
    Orange = 14 days without an update.
    Red = one month without update, you have 7 days to update, or you're out of the challenge

Before

Healer days by earlybird-obi-wan updated Mar 10th 2012

From the Private Journals of the Jedi Exile, with Commentary by Master Atris by tjace Mar 13th 2012

Silver Swarms of Ships: Journals of a Marine Fighter Pilot by Goodwood updated March 03rd 2012

Diary of an Alleged Jedi by jcgoble3 updated Mar 10th 2012

Untitled by moosemousse Feb. 20th 2012

Saga

Dustland Fairytale by Briannakin updated Mar 11th 2012

"Recruitment Must Be Low" by Trak Nar updated March 09th 2012

Flight Log of FA-4-269 by Lolly_Tolly updated March 01st 2012

Artoo's Frazzled Circuits: The OT Diary by Hazel updated Mar 11th 2012

Meditative Solitude by Darthishtar updated Feb 27th 2012

Sunrise by JediFalcon updated Mar 09th 2012

Beyond

Without the force by earlybird-obi-wan updated Mar 10th 2012

Measure of Merit - Diary of a Shadow Child by LexiLupin updated Mar 15th 2012

"Wasting the Day in Bedlam" by Trak Nar updated Mar 09 2012

Journal of Mark Tantiss by Jedi_Lover updated Mar 15th 2012

Corporal Jori Lekauf by aalagartassle updated Mar 10th 2012

Shark Kibble: The Datapad of Student ISBTECH 815761 by Kahara updated Mar 03rd 2012

NSWFF

The Hunted Legend Falls and Rises Triumphantly by RX_Sith updated Mar 11th 2012

Formerly Known as Princess by NYCitygurl updated March 04th 2012

Mini Challenges

January: Strange Weather
    February: Love
    March: Changing weather

Out of Competition

Dead Diaries

Diary of Rose Tyler by raphire updated Feb 8th 2012

I do it for the fruit by SoA updated Jan 30th 2012

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  4. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    I have already begun to update but I don't have time to fix this as I have to go to work now.

I will fix this if I get some time later today. We do have some diaries still in the running so please stay tuned :)

5. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
  6. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Okay, I'll be the first to sign up for the 2013 challenge. I have no idea whom I will write... I was thinking an AU Shmi, but I'm also thinking of the mom of Palpatine (again, AU), or JarJar Binks or perhaps a minor OC I had in one scene for "The Bond" named Jerren Wyrren who is chief of security at the hospital in Mos Espa. I may even come up with more ideas. [face_dunno]

Perhaps I should put all my ideas on scrap pieces of paper, place them in a hat and have my son draw one for me. That way I can blame him if it turns out to be bad. :p

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I'll sign up for one. I also don't know what I'll write. Maybe a Callista/Luke love story....not! No, I was thinking about Luke writing a journal while he was dating Callista...but I am not sure if it will be too...hateful for TOS. o_O You know, I think that is what I am going to do. I will try to keep it lighthearted.

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Not sure if I'm going to participate in 2013. I want to, but I don't know if I will have the time. I have plenty of ideas though. I would love to finish a Beru Lars diary. I attempted one this year, but because of the move, it died. Someone started a Breha diary in 2011 but never got far with it and I always wanted SOMEONE to pick up the idea. I also kinda really want to do a Ben Skywalker diary - sarcasm included in every update!

BUT I'M SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING ON ORIGINAL STUFF DANGNABBIT.

9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Diary of an Alleged Jedi kind of fell apart very early this year, but I do want to give this another shot. I'll have to think about what I want to do this year, though. My muse has given me a few ideas, but I'm not sure if any of them will work.

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I'll do one for Dooku. Trying to decide between a serious exploration of his life or a humorous "Very Secret Diary".

NYCitygurl likes this.
  11. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    There was a humorous Darth Vader diary awhile back. I can't remember the name of it. I'm not even sure it was posted here or on ff.net, but it was hilarious.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've taken a break from this for a few years seeing as how I can never finish it, but I'm contemplating trying again this year. I have no idea what I'd write about yet, but I shall contemplate. My muse needs something with a set schedule at the moment and maybe this will move it along!

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I will be continuing with my diaries. The boys will run out of 'paper' soon for the 2012 ones and will start new diaries

14. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I was thinking of continuing with Sunrise. Will just pick up where I left off. Most were pruned so I'm thinking I'll repost the chapters first.

Anyways

Alexis the one with Palpatine's mom, that would be an interesting challenge to do.

15. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I'm hoping to continue Artoo's diary, but through the Thrawn Trilogy.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hazel Hehehe. I can't wait for that. Artoo's reaction to Mara will be a hoot.

I was lying awake this morning, not wanting to get out of bed, and I decided that I am going to a diary next year - probably one with short, >1000 word updates, so I can still focus on my original stuff, but I still get to do some fanfic on the side. It's going to be a Ben Skywalker diary, probably between LOTF and FOTJ. I love the father/son dynamic that Luke and Ben have in FOTJ and I want to explore how that evolved. And do I really need a reason to draw upon my inner 15-year-old snarky self? Plus, I want to give the poor kid friends. The pro-fic authors make it seem like he has no friends his age.

Hazel, lukemaraben and Jedi_Lover like this.
  17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    That sounds awesome! And yes, Ben needs friends.

18. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The holidays and Darth Real Life tripped me up. Give me a week and I'll have something typed and ready to go.

19. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    It's been quite a few years since I attempted this challenge. Maybe I could do it again...just need some decent ideas.

20. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Recently the urge to do a GFFA-ized RL blog has become stronger than I'd like to admit. It would blow people's minds with its unrelenting dullness.

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Count me in! I have no ideas, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

22. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Is there a prize for obnoxiously long diary? If so I think I got that won. So far my 2012 diary is 95K words.:p I promise next year will be much, much shorter.

mavjade likes this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol.

I've started to plot out my 2013 diary. I'm really excited to start it in January.

24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've got a vague idea and I've started to plot things out. I think maybe if I post out the entire thing before the start of the new year, I may have a chance at making it!(Even though I'm a terrible outliner!)
    Also, I'm going to try and write as much as soon as possible so that if I get stuck, I'll have a buffer, but we'll see how well that works out once the year starts! ;)

25. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I still haven't figured out which character I'm going to write, let alone plotting it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.